• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar Genesis = Lunar: Dragon Song - new character/story details revealed

Drakken

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5091

Looks like Lunar: Dragon Song won the poll Lunar-NET & Ubi did awhile back. There are 3 new characters named Jian, Lucia, and Gabriel. They're on a quest to convert "Forces of Darkness" into "Beings of Light." It doesn't appear to be a card-based RPG, but some people might think it is, because of the "Battle Cards" which you can use to upgrade your characters' skills. Also, there's no mention of it being a strategy RPG, like Nintendo listed it as in the E3 brochure.

Also, "the original creators of Lunar: The Silver Star" are working on it. Whether that means Game Arts or the specific people who created it isn't clear.

This is the DS Lunar prequel, for those who don't know. It's coming out in July.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ironclad_Ninja said:
US release date is listed as 7/26.

Wait, what? Whatever happened to hearing about an RPG and then maybe getting it a year or two later? Huh.

"Hi!"

EDIT: In all seriousness (that and I don't think many would have gotten the joke), I have hopes for this in the same manner I had hope for Lufia: Ruins of Lore, nearly none at all. There's a small chance this could actually be a rather decent RPG though, but I think I'm going to actually have to wait on word of mouth this time around, I feel so silly for snagging up Lunar Legend so quickly.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ironclad_Ninja said:
US release date is listed as 7/26.

Cool, that's my birthday :D And that's awesome DS is getting an RPG, and Lunar turned out to be not a card based battle game or an RTS game.

Mejilan

Lunar Legends was kinda nice in that it retained some of the original's charm and was, of course portable. I also liked how it tweaked some of the scenarios a bit, added a new dungeon or two, added all kinds of new items, and retained the length of SSS Complete.

Of course, I did not like the dumbed down combat, FF7-style limit breaks, complete lack of difficulty, the HORRIBLE save bug that effectively made you invincible, and the gimped music. The effortless translation didn't help.

Collecting the enemy cards was actually kinda fun. Though, they didn't do anything at all useful.

The fact that some of the original people may be involved gives me more hope for this than I had for Lufia RoL (a thoroughly uninspired and insanely slow RPG that, for all of its flaws, somehow charmed me enough to get me to play it through twice.)

MrDaravon

Does it scare anyone else that a month ago we barely knew anything about the game, then learning it's going to be some kind of strategy/RPG with cards, and that it's going to be OUT in less than two months? Bad vibes man, bad vibes.

Mejilan

Apparently, it's gonna be a straight RPG, and the cards will only play a role in enhancing skills and magic.

Or something.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Mejilan said:
Apparently, it's gonna be a straight RPG, and the cards will only play a role in enhancing skills and magic.

Or something.

Soooooo it's basically extra armor ala L2EB:C's rings system?

Mejilan

I have no idea. Very little info to glean from Ubi's new Lunar DS web page. Regarding combat, it just mentions acquiring cards to augment your abilities and whatnot. I'm assuming that the cards themselves will not be playing a primary role in combat. By 'assuming' I actually mean 'hoping'.

I'm not totally against card combat RPGs (Baten Kaitos pulled of a very memorable version of that), but neither do I want Culdcept in Lunar's clothing.

Tellaerin

SailorDaravon said:
Does it scare anyone else that a month ago we barely knew anything about the game, then learning it's going to be some kind of strategy/RPG with cards, and that it's going to be OUT in less than two months? Bad vibes man, bad vibes.

'Hey! Listen!' :p

Drakken said:
It doesn't appear to be a card-based RPG, but some people might think it is, because of the "Battle Cards" which you can use to upgrade your characters' skills. Also, there's no mention of it being a strategy RPG, like Nintendo listed it as in the E3 brochure.

And no, I for one am not scared. I'm happy--for once, we haven't been bludgeoned to death with a million and one pre-release previews, developer interviews, and work-in-progress status updates on a new game. I don't think every new game needs to have its development chronicled from inception to completion in painstaking detail. :p

Well even though its a prequel, atleast its not the one about Dyne, Ghaleon, Lemia and Mel so that still has to have a chance to be made in proper form.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
belgurdo said:
Dragon Song?

O I SEE WHAT U DID THERE LOL
Hey, give them a break. It's not like they're adding "Super" before every game title or "64" or "360" at the end of every one. :D

They're getting pretty creative with the game subtitles, actually. :lol

Bog

Junior Ace
SolidSnakex said:
Well even though its a prequel, atleast its not the one about Dyne, Ghaleon, Lemia and Mel so that still has to have a chance to be made in proper form.

At least it's not? I'd way rather it be based on that.

SantaC

hmm appearently this game is developed by the creators of Lunar: The Silver Star released in 1993 on MegaCD

Bog said:
At least it's not? I'd way rather it be based on that.

I'd probably want that game done more than a completely new Lunar so I want it done in proper form. On a console, full voice cast and complete with the anime sequences.

Bog

Junior Ace
SolidSnakex said:
I'd probably want that game done more than a completely new Lunar so I want it done in proper form. On a console, full voice cast and complete with the anime sequences.

When was the last console Lunar? I'll take what I can get.

jarrod

Banned
It's not being made by GameArts, though they also have a DS RPG in development. The core Lunar staff left the company during/after Grandia iirc.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What are all the RPGs currently in development for the DS (actual development, not just like "announced once") if anyone doesnt mind.

jarrod said:
It's not being made by GameArts, though they also have a DS RPG in development. The core Lunar staff left the company during/after Grandia iirc.

Hence my sadness that the Lunar 3 by GameArts rumor never came to fruition.

duckroll

jarrod said:

Seeing the quality of what Lunar games have become, I really question who these "core Lunar staff" are. As far as everyone knows, the "core staff" which would usually include the director, scenerio writer, character designer, composer, etc are all at Game Arts. In fact they've been working on the Grandia games. It's a misconception that Grandia has a completely different team than Lunar. So without any of the lead designers that provide the game's story, art and music.... who ARE these "core staff"?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I still want Four Hero Story GBA. :(

SatelliteOfLove said:
Hence my sadness that the Lunar 3 by GameArts rumor never came to fruition.
I always thought Lunar 3 morphed into Grandia?

duckroll said:
Seeing the quality of what Lunar games have become, I really question who these "core Lunar staff" are. As far as everyone knows, the "core staff" which would usually include the director, scenerio writer, character designer, composer, etc are all at Game Arts. In fact they've been working on the Grandia games. It's a misconception that Grandia has a completely different team than Lunar. So without any of the lead designers that provide the game's story, art and music.... who ARE these "core staff"?
I dunno, just what I've been told. Can't find any staff credits online for cross referencing either... happen to have them?

It'd make sense though I think, Grandia was really the last great title to come out of GA imo... all their stuff following has had a different "feel" from their PC/MD/MCD/Saturn era stuff.

jarrod said:
I always thought Lunar 3 morphed into Grandia?

Huh. I never thought of that. It must've been seriously retooled; the evolution of the engine married to a story that grew too far away from the Lunar storyline to be called a "Lunar" or something.

jarrod

Banned
Quick Lunar gameography!

Japan
-Lunar: Silver Star (Mega CD) GameArts 1992
-Lunar: Eternal Blue (Mega CD) GameArts 1994
-Lunar: Sanposuru Gakuen (Game Gear) GameArts 1996
-Lunar: Silver Star Story (Sega Saturn) Kadokawa Shoten 1996
-Mahou Gakuen Lunar (Sega Saturn) ESP Software 1997
-Lunar: Silver Star Story (PlayStation) Kadokawa Shoten 1998
-Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (Sega Saturn) Kadokawa Shoten 1998
-Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (PlayStation) Kadokawa Shoten 1999