• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia Definitive Edition Live gameplay @ 5 p.m. (in 15 minutes !)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
unknown.png

What we can note:
-Good optimization on PC
-Not all shaders are present in this build
-Designed for 4k
-Chapters 1 to 5 are present, and then the build jump directly to chapter 10

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
same game we all played some years ago just looks better? NOW this is the trend that needs to die. MAKE NEW MAFIA FOR THE NEXT GEN, sick of same games being upgraded visually and milked...

VulcanRaven

This looks really good. I'm glad that they included classic mode. Police give you speeding tickets and driving mode is simulation.

Humdinger

Never played the first Mafia (or any of them -- tried 3 but didn't find it interesting). I'll check this one out, since I like the old school gangster vibe, rather than the modernized versions.

Arun1910

Never played the first Mafia (or any of them -- tried 3 but didn't find it interesting). I'll check this one out, since I like the old school gangster vibe, rather than the modernized versions.

3 is objectively the worst. Story is great but everything around it is boring.

1 and 2 are very good games. I'm excited to jump back in.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The audio seems really off on that chase bit. Guns sounded way too quiet, vehicles had barely any sound even when smashing into walls.

That ram mechanic in cars is really stupid too.

Looks good visually.

Atmosphere is really well done.

As someone who never played the original, really enjoyed 2, and thought 3 was extremely repetitive, I'll probably pick it up.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So the game's own marketing act like they're journos doing a hands on preview and like wow it's so good, but tell us more. Like, how have you adapted such and such to this game's time period he asks at one point and the dev responds, so ya, we got this system from that game, but adapted it to this new time period. Awesome. Lmfao. Game looks kinda rad though. Have they shown all the running business stuff systems yet, has it been changed to a story thing like Mafia II with the open world and side stuff being insignificant fluff with no reason (or capability, no depth) to invest in it?

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
same game we all played some years ago just looks better? NOW this is the trend that needs to die. MAKE NEW MAFIA FOR THE NEXT GEN, sick of same games being upgraded visually and milked...

If you think this only "looks better" than the original that came out 18 years, you should replay it to refresh your memory.

EDMIX

Nice. I like how Mafia 3 looked and it looks like Hanger 13 out did themselves with this remake which I'm not surprised given its their second current gen title. Day 1!

Denton

Original 2002 Mafia can still look pretty amazing if modded a bit

v5hol7k9lrg51.png

Of course, I can't wait for the remake anyway, if only for the rebuild city, new lightning, expanded script. Here is hoping they didn't fuck it up. Mafia is a masterpiece.

None of the voice actors are as good as the originals unfortunately. Tommy in the original sounded like a nice guy, Paulie and Sam were very distinct from each other, in this they almost sound like the same actor. I also miss the period Djanjo Reinhardt music already.

Looks good though. Will wait on reviews to see if it needs patching up.

Justin9mm

You realise this is NOT a visually upgraded version of the original. It's a whole new developed game.

I think people are confused because they called it definitive edition just like the remasters of 1 and 2 but this one is a complete remake.

Mafia 2 and 3 were remasters meaning the exact same game just worked on to make better. This is not what's happened here.

iJudged

Banned
You realise this is NOT a visually upgraded version of the original. It's a whole new developed game.

I think people are confused because they called it definitive edition just like the remasters of 1 and 2 but this one is a complete remake.

Mafia 2 and 3 were remasters meaning the exact same game just worked on to make better. This is not what's happened here.
That's where I am confused. Why not call it Mafia 4 then? Thnx for taking the time.

Justin9mm

That's where I am confused. Why not call it Mafia 4 then? Thnx for taking the time.
They kept the story and scenes the same so it is technically a remake of the original but as I said everything is completely new, it is completely rebuilt from the ground up.

What they really should of done is just name it 'Mafia' and that's it. No Definitive Edition or anything like that on the end of it. It's confused a lot of people especially since releasing 'remastered' versions of 2 & 3 beforehand. They should of either released this and then do a remake of 2 which could of been for next gen or just reboot the whole series like Tomb Raider for example.

Last edited:

xPikYx

Game of the generation, Mafia is one of the best games I have ever played, having a remake is a dream come true, hoping for some nice Raytracing as well on PC. They could have waited for the next gen though and deliver a proper next gen remake and not a cross gen one but I'm happy anyway

Gtafans93

3 is objectively the worst. Story is great but everything around it is boring.

1 and 2 are very good games. I'm excited to jump back in.
How can 3 be objectively worse when it has the best story and open world/ DLC? Honestly other than the doing the same thing over again until the main questline killing missions, Mafia 3's one of the best. great era, music, fnatastic characters, great gameplay and weaponry interesting open world. Sure it wasnt as interactive as the other 2 but it was and is still fun. Honestly replaying mafia 3 with all the DLC in 4K I am loving it all over again. I'd argue it's the best and average of the series as a whole. But still fantastic

Thief1987

I think it looks like shit, and lost all of what make original one of the best game ever made. Generic cover-shooter in generic OW with generic characters - quintessential meh.
But it has good GRAPHIX! Yeah.....

Last edited:

EDMIX

They should have remade both then.....Bummer..

I mean...sure in time they should, but we are not talking about some copy paste type thing, it takes just as long to make a remake as to make any game from the ground up. I'd say the only thing that might have sped this up is them already having an engine and assets from Mafia 3, but they still need to do a lot of work to make this exist no different then any other game. With 2 having a remaster, I think it make 100% more sense to do a remake of this title and then Mafia 4 next gen AND THEN Mafia 2 remake using that engine, assets etc.

I don't see them making both a thing that would ever really make sense as when have we ever seen a remake of this scale with 2 games? It would be like getting GTAIII completely remade in the Red Dead 2 engine and then expecting they have Vice City ready to go at the exact same time or something.

I see a remake of 2 happening more likely next gen simply based on how demanding this is to create.

Justin9mm Justin9mm 'It's confused a lot of people" I think the title is completely fine. I'm not even sure whats to be confused about regarding this remake. Its semantics tbh as who is not buying this based on the title exactly?

"They should of either released this and then do a remake of 2 which could of been for next gen " Oh I see, where did they say no remake of 2 is happening next gen? You seem to know something we don't as I see no evidence that suggest that actually isn't the case so...

"it is technically a remake of the original but as I said everything is completely new, it is completely rebuilt from the ground up" Well.....yes, that is what a remake is, no "but" as for example FFVII's remake is clearly rebuilt from the ground up and new as that is what a remake actually is... so...no "but" needed, its very much still a remake.

Gtafans93 Gtafans93 Agreed. I prefer Mafia 3. I like 2, but having a good story can only go so far, I still need to enjoy playing a fucking game. 3 just feels better, controls better and was overall better made. I'm completely fine that this team is actually taking over the series and with Mafia 3 being the best selling of the series, I'm not really surprised.

This team doing the remake of Mafia 1 can correct a lot of the series issues, so I hope they remake 2 as well so it actually feels good to play.

xPikYx xPikYx agreed. I go back and play many old PS2 titles (Onimusha 1-4, RE4, God Of War, Killer 7 and MGS3), but Mafia 1 is just a game made sooooo fucking poorly, that I really hoped for a remake as that game just isn't built to last compared to other titles of that generation. So as much as I liked it when I was younger, I knew it was just a mess and really hoped for a remake one day. Such a great surprise! I need that Getaway remake in my life if they ever reboot that series but only after The Getaway 3 (like after Mafia 3 they did the remake of 1 using those assets, engine etc)

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I mean...sure in time they should, but we are not talking about some copy paste type thing, it takes just as long to make a remake as to make any game from the ground up. I'd say the only thing that might have sped this up is them already having an engine and assets from Mafia 3, but they still need to do a lot of work to make this exist no different then any other game. With 2 having a remaster, I think it make 100% more sense to do a remake of this title and then Mafia 4 next gen AND THEN Mafia 2 remake using that engine, assets etc.

I don't see them making both a thing that would ever really make sense as when have we ever seen a remake of this scale with 2 games? It would be like getting GTAIII completely remade in the Red Dead 2 engine and then expecting they have Vice City ready to go at the exact same time or something.

I see a remake of 2 happening more likely next gen simply based on how demanding this is to create.

Justin9mm Justin9mm 'It's confused a lot of people" I think the title is completely fine. I'm not even sure whats to be confused about regarding this remake. Its semantics tbh as who is not buying this based on the title exactly?

"They should of either released this and then do a remake of 2 which could of been for next gen " Oh I see, where did they say no remake of 2 is happening next gen? You seem to know something we don't as I see no evidence that suggest that actually isn't the case so...

"it is technically a remake of the original but as I said everything is completely new, it is completely rebuilt from the ground up" Well.....yes, that is what a remake is, no "but" as for example FFVII's remake is clearly rebuilt from the ground up and new as that is what a remake actually is... so...no "but" needed, its very much still a remake.
It's confused a lot of people because there are a number of people thinking its just a visual upgrade of the original and nothing else. Go check other threads, it's pretty common. The title doesn't confuse me but just because you/we get it doesn't mean other people do.

I never said they weren't doing a remake of 2, I just said they should by doing this one first and then remake 2 rather than release this Trilogy.. That's not really saying they aren't going to. But considering they just released a Trilogy of one remake, one remaster and one I guess you could say definitive/remaster being Mafia 3, I can't see them doing another separate release of Mafia 2 as a remake. But who knows. I never claimed to know.

EDMIX

It's confused a lot of people because there are a number of people thinking its just a visual upgrade of the original and nothing else. Go check other threads, it's pretty common. The title doesn't confuse me but just because you/we get it doesn't mean other people do.

ohhhh I see what you mean then. Thats sad. The team goes into great detail for anyone to realize its not simply some upgrade but a complete remake.

I never said they weren't doing a remake of 2, I just said they should by doing this one first and then remake 2 rather than release this Trilogy..

I disagree. From a business perspective, their job is to sell as many units as they can, when they can. Lets say they plan to do a remake next gen, making this trilogy thing this gen doesn't stop them from making that remake 1, remake 2 and remaster 3 set up next gen.

I feel 99% likely they will go that route.

I can't see them doing another separate release of Mafia 2 as a remake.

You should. Look at RE2 remake and then 3 remake or Yakuza 1 remake and Yakuza 2. I feel if this does well for them, its very, very likely you see them remake it next gen after Mafia 4 using the same assets and engine to save on money. Think about it from a perspective if you wanted to make a boatload of money lol

Thats how I'm seeing it, if it was me and I owned that IP.....this would be me thinking about dat remake of 2 next gen.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
How can 3 be objectively worse when it has the best story and open world/ DLC? Honestly other than the doing the same thing over again until the main questline killing missions, Mafia 3's one of the best. great era, music, fnatastic characters, great gameplay and weaponry interesting open world. Sure it wasnt as interactive as the other 2 but it was and is still fun. Honestly replaying mafia 3 with all the DLC in 4K I am loving it all over again. I'd argue it's the best and average of the series as a whole. But still fantastic

For me personally its worse because they moved away from the actual Mafia...

EDMIX

For me personally its worse because they moved away from the actual Mafia...

Well...not really. The term Mafia pretty much means " organized crime syndicate whose primary activities are protection racketeering, arbitrating disputes between criminals " etc, though the term may be a shortened term and derived from the Italian word, it doesn't actually exclusively apply to 1 group.

Take the word Assassin based on a Arabic word.....it doesn't actually mean all Assassins Creed titles need to be ONLY based on Arabs as you might be taking that term a bit too literally to a strange absolute.

It would be like you assuming when I say the Russian Mafia, that I mean the Italian Mafia or something. The word is interchangeable and too loose to exclusively have any series only tied to that.
Don't be surprised if you see future titles about the Russian Mafia or Mexican Mafia or BMF (Black Mafia Family) etc. It would make literally no sense for them to limit their scope based on such semantics as the term is more so used to describe organized crime and trust me....Mafia 3 had enough organized crime to support its title.

Justin9mm

ohhhh I see what you mean then. Thats sad. The team goes into great detail for anyone to realize its not simply some upgrade but a complete remake.

I disagree. From a business perspective, their job is to sell as many units as they can, when they can. Lets say they plan to do a remake next gen, making this trilogy thing this gen doesn't stop them from making that remake 1, remake 2 and remaster 3 set up next gen.

I feel 99% likely they will go that route.

You should. Look at RE2 remake and then 3 remake or Yakuza 1 remake and Yakuza 2. I feel if this does well for them, its very, very likely you see them remake it next gen after Mafia 4 using the same assets and engine to save on money. Think about it from a perspective if you wanted to make a boatload of money lol

Thats how I'm seeing it, if it was me and I owned that IP.....this would be me thinking about dat remake of 2 next gen.

giphy.gif
I really do want to see a remake of Mafia 2 next gen.

Well...not really. The term Mafia pretty much means " organized crime syndicate whose primary activities are protection racketeering, arbitrating disputes between criminals " etc, though the term may be a shortened term and derived from the Italian word, it doesn't actually exclusively apply to 1 group.

Take the word Assassin based on a Arabic word.....it doesn't actually mean all Assassins Creed titles need to be ONLY based on Arabs as you might be taking that term a bit too literally to a strange absolute.

It would be like you assuming when I say the Russian Mafia, that I mean the Italian Mafia or something. The word is interchangeable and too loose to exclusively have any series only tied to that.
Don't be surprised if you see future titles about the Russian Mafia or Mexican Mafia or BMF (Black Mafia Family) etc. It would make literally no sense for them to limit their scope based on such semantics as the term is more so used to describe organized crime and trust me....Mafia 3 had enough organized crime to support its title.

Yea I guess I take mafia as being derived from the Sicilian mafiusu, wherein the 17th century the police in Sicily would use the term ‘mafia’ to describe a man who plans crimes and pays others to carry them out.

I see your point, but for me personally, I want an actual Italian Mafia game. There are so few of these and when Mafia decided to turn the series towards Haitian and Black crime I lost interest.

It'd be like if The Sporanos in a fictional series 7 decided to include Chinese and Russians into the family. It's jarring and inaccurate.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Never got into this franchise, any quick description and review? I'm guessing this remake would be the ideal entry point as I gather it's the first one.

makaveli60

None of the voice actors are as good as the originals unfortunately. Tommy in the original sounded like a nice guy, Paulie and Sam were very distinct from each other, in this they almost sound like the same actor. I also miss the period Djanjo Reinhardt music already.

Looks good though. Will wait on reviews to see if it needs patching up.
Yeah, I was very excited about this game but I feel they butchered the characters. Tommy, especially. Granted, it was a very long time ago when I played the original but this is not how I remember them.

I saw a particular impression from KindaFunny where they compared walking animations similar to PS2 character walking animations. Also this person said coming from last of us part 2 the animations felt janky and not realistic. What's the general consensus on the walking and movement animations in the remake? Also coming into ghost of tsushima from last of us part 2, i felt the same with the jogging animation of jin lacked the smoothness, but was able to look past that and enjoy the game as a whole.

EDMIX

Yea I guess I take mafia as being derived from the Sicilian mafiusu, wherein the 17th century the police in Sicily would use the term ‘mafia’ to describe a man who plans crimes and pays others to carry them out.

I see your point, but for me personally, I want an actual Italian Mafia game. There are so few of these and when Mafia decided to turn the series towards Haitian and Black crime I lost interest.

It'd be like if The Sporanos in a fictional series 7 decided to include Chinese and Russians into the family. It's jarring and inaccurate.

I mean, I don't disagree with you as I enjoy the theme, but this series is called Mafia after all and not after 1 persons family like with The Sporanos (good ass fucking show btw). I think the series should alternate.

Mafia 1 and 2 Italian Mafia. Mafia 3 (cough) mix bag (cough) lol
Mafia 4 1970's Italian Mafia theme second war, Mafia 5 Italian Mafia theme end of an era aka drug running, bosses going to jail cause folks couldn't shut the fuck up on phones lol 1980s, Mafia 6 1990s Mexican Mafia theme, rise of the Sinaloa Cartel.

....Mafia 7 PS6 title set in the 1920's with Al Capone, Charles Luciano, Bugsy Siegel, Meyer Lansky, John Dillinger etc. Mafia 8....the sequel to that shit as my god lots go on with that bunch lol Mafia 9 Bumpy Johnson Edition and so on.

I mean, I don't disagree with you as I enjoy the theme, but this series is called Mafia after all and not after 1 persons family like with The Sporanos (good ass fucking show btw). I think the series should alternate.

Mafia 1 and 2 Italian Mafia. Mafia 3 (cough) mix bag (cough) lol
Mafia 4 1970's Italian Mafia theme second war, Mafia 5 Italian Mafia theme end of an era aka drug running, bosses going to jail cause folks couldn't shut the fuck up on phones lol 1980s, Mafia 6 1990s Mexican Mafia theme, rise of the Sinaloa Cartel.

....Mafia 7 PS6 title set in the 1920's with Al Capone, Charles Luciano, Bugsy Siegel, Meyer Lansky, John Dillinger etc. Mafia 8....the sequel to that shit as my god lots go on with that bunch lol Mafia 9 Bumpy Johnson Edition and so on.

I cant like your response enough!!!!

I'd love an exclusive RPG Cosa Nostra game. Set during the '60s - '90s when the Italian's were at their absolute peak!
  • Start as an associate
  • Be a good earner
  • A system that tracks how good you earn so that you can get made
  • Modern rackets (unions, construction, stocks, phone cards, waste management - tired of prohibition and pin stripped suits)
  • If you go to jail you continue to operate in jail

I could go on and on. I think you and I agree lol

linkroi

I've seen some gameplay, i get the vibe of the second episode wich was an excellent game. I feel confident about this remake and i can't wait to play it !

rofif

Banned
It looks really bad. Stiff animations, terrible facial expressions (let's not lie, they will not update before release), bland lighting... Car models look great.
I hate what they did to Paulie and Tommy. they look terrible now. Tommy is no longer a nice everyday man but a gruff mobster lol. And it looks clunky. Paulie looks like he swallowed a bee. Are they afraid to make them look too new yorkish or italian?
I really would like to be more positive but it's bad all around

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not really sold on the digital acting, i don't understand how can this aspect be praised with those mediocre facial expressions...oh right, journalists...

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I decided to finally buy the Trilogy on PS Store. I got it for 49,95€ because I already had Mafia 3. Here is some classic difficulty gameplay:

Main menu says this about it:

-Enemies are lethal
-Police respond to more crimes
-Fewer UI indicators
-Ammunition left in the clip is lost when reloading

Last edited:
Top Bottom