• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGFest 13 - We were here before PAX (January 23rd-26th)

magfest13.png

When: January 23rd-26th (Fri-Mon) 2015
Where: Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center
National Harbor, MD
Ticket price: $70 at the door for the 4-day pass, single days range from $30-40 depending on day
Site: http://www.magfest.org

slideshow3.png

What is MAGFest?

MAGFest is basically a giant gaming festival, with a specific focus on gaming music. Besides the main events of each night, the concerts, there are panels, a 24-hour Arcade and freeplay room, a huge marketplace, tabletop gaming, gaming marathons, charity events for Child's Play, fan film screenings, and a whole lot more

150612_10151242308058198_1161675950_nba467b.jpeg

Who's performing/going?
Well, they have an insane line-up of popular VG bands playing, such as Powerglove, MegaRan, Machinae Supremacy (Giana Sisters OST), Bit Brigade, The Protomen, and even the legendary Virt (Shovel Knight and Shantae OSTs, and more!)

Of course, the big artist performing this year is Yuu Miyake, the main composer of Katamari Damacy, who will be performing a DJ set on Saturday night of the festival, similar to Yuzo Koshiro from a couple years back. Not only that, but Yoshihito Yoto, who worked on many Tekken, Soul Calibur, and other Namco games will be there as a guest as well.

Of course, thats not even touching on the normal guests, like Rebecca Sugar, Game Grumps, Jontron, Super Best Friends Play, Smooth McGroove, Tom Fulp, and a whole bunch of voice actors and other guests i can't even being to list out

slideshow2.png

What makes this different from other gaming events?
Its not a trade show or normal convention. Its a non-profit event. No sponsors of any sort. They do have a place for indie devs to show off games in the main pavilion area, but this is a place to meet people, see awesome music, attend cool panels, and find some awesome stuff, and play some video games. The arcade room usually runs with around 100+ cabinets every year.

So, anyone on GAF staying on the East Coast this weekend?

kuYuri

I will unfortunately be skipping MAGFest again this year due to timing and budget, some of my other friends are going though. Hope everyone has fun!

So far the first day's pretty boring, but I'm guessing that's because everything isn't up yet. I'm looking forward to the upcoming panels though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
My best friend is attending the event... lucky bastard. Too short notice for me to take off work to go though :(

I'm going with a group of friends tomorrow. This will be our third year in a row going. I need to get my annual Crazy Taxi on.

solidefy

Ive been there the past few years. Sadly I have to skip this year. Definitely feels weird having it be this late in January. Oh well, hope everyone has a great time there!

brett2

This is my first time going and I'll be there on Saturday. Any recommendations for things to check out? So far I'm excited to see The Video Game Years Live at 1:30 and then Bit Brigade at 10:20.

NotLiquid

I would recommend anyone able to do so to check out Machinae Supremacy. They're one of my favorite bands ever, they do some killer video game inspired metal tunes.

This is my first time going and I'll be there on Saturday. Any recommendations for things to check out? So far I'm excited to see The Video Game Years Live at 1:30 and then Bit Brigade at 10:20.

Bit Brigade is the best choice. Also, make sure to take some time to enjoy the arcade. Otherwise, just check the schedule and see what stuff strikes your fancy!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from seeing On Being Human and Machinae Supremacy! I've already spent a bit too much money in the market, heh.

Will be checking out Smooth McGroove's panel and a couple of concerts Saturday. I'm really looking forward to Bit Brigade in particular.

brett2

This was my first gaming related show and I had a great time. As far as music goes I enjoyed Super Guitar Bros and Bit Brigade, which closed out the show on Saturday night with a speed run of Metroid. Merchandise prices were mostly reasonable and I picked up some Genesis, N64 and Dreamcast games. The arcade had a nice selection of machines, though I was sad to see no Virtua Fighter machines. Consoles were varied and I had a lot of fun playing some of more expensive TuboGrafx/PC Engine games.

Yep, Magfest was pretty good this year. I was hoping to get Puyo Puyo Tetris though, and I couldn't find a copy. That was my only disappointment.

Top Bottom