• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here goes to MAGFest?

Carnby

I saw this video on youtube, Five Reasons to Go to Magfest.

The list
5. All the games are here (arcades, consoles, indies, pinball)
4. Amazing things happen here (Nerf wars, video game improv, table flipping for charity, super art fight.
3. Sleep is optional
2. Everyone you love is here (I'm assuming this means celebrity appearances, but I didn't recognize anyone in the video).
1. It's all about the MUSIC!

I looks like a lot of fun. My friends go every year to represent X-Strike Studios. I'm thinking of going next year.

Are there any GAFers who also go to MAGfest?

MAGFest (Music and Gaming Festival, originally the Mid-Atlantic Gaming Festival) is an annual festival held in the DC metro area that celebrates video games and video game music, as well as their surrounding culture. MAGFest's primary features are a large open video gaming room, a hall of arcade cabinets, concerts by chiptune artists and video game cover bands, and a Bring Your Own Computer (BYOC) LAN Party. MAGFest 12 took place at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in National Harbor, MD from January 2 to 5, 2014.[2]

The first MAGfest was in 2002, which predates the PS3 game MAG.

Kerub

Banned
I read the title and hoped for a tournament in this game. :-(

NnMmSxi.jpg

I go every year (I live in MD) and I was a panelist this year for the Paging Dr Mario panel. We basically talked about Wii U. Fun stuff.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I got every year, I also live in MD. It's cool, and fun, but mainly for the social atmosphere.

Carnby

I go every year (I live in MD) and I was a panelist this year for the Paging Dr Mario panel. We basically talked about Wii U. Fun stuff.

Do you know my friends in X-Strike Studios? They are regulars there. They were also the Video Game Improv this year.

TxdoHawk

I've gone for years, but to be honest I had a terrible time this year, although most of it wasn't because of the convention itself. One of my roommates got so plastered he managed to break his ankle tripping over his own two feet, and I was laid up in a hotel bed all day Saturday with some horrible version of con plague.

That said, personal stuff aside, what the convention emphasizes and what my tastes in gaming/music have gravitated toward don't really mix anymore.

It's a hell of a time, though, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from going. It's just not for me at this point, I don't think.

Flarin

I go and it's awesome. I had to fly from San Fran, but it was well worth it for me. I got to meet a lot of cool people there and got to be on a few panels. If you're a fan of video games and gaming culture you should go. Tons to do and see.

NFreak

I went for the first time this past year and it was a fucking blast. I met up with a bunch of my YouTube buddies and it was so much fun just hanging out. The arcade set up they had was also amazing. I got the top score on both of the asteroids machines they had there.

solidefy

I've gone the past two years, always have fun. My wife and daughter come too, they love it. If you saw a guy walking around with a little kid in a Pikachu costume, that was me and my daughter.

Usually spend the days walking around, playing games with the family. Then at night they retire to the room and I go meet up with friends.

Anyway yeah MAGfest is a blast.

Aeana

Last one I went to was MAGFest 2, but it was pretty fun. Probably much, much smaller than it is these days, though.

ErichWK

MAGFest is an absolute blast!! I went this year for the first time..hopefully my VGM band gets to play next year.. And the free arcade machines are a nerd's dream come true. Plus they have a cabinet with WindJammers

Hale-XF11

Haven't gone since MAG 8. I miss it, but I just haven't been able to afford to go back. It's easily the funnest video game related fest I've ever attended, mainly because all my friends go and I love the bands that perform. Meeting Grant Kirkhope was one of the highlights of my time there.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I heard Yuzo Koshiro did a DJ set at one.

I only quote you since your username probably means you'd be interested in stuff like that.

Yeah, I remember when I heard he was doing a DJ set there... was upset that I missed that, since I'm a huuuuge fan of his (especially SOR1/2).

I wish I went to 2013 for dat Yuzo Koshiro DJ set.

This ranks as one of the best experiences of my life. I've been going for 3 years, and i love every minute of it. This is literally an amazing place to just play video games, meet new people, and see internet celebrities and composers (It was started as a celebration of music in gaming, hence the emphasis on the concerts) if that's your sort of thing.

5amshift

Banned
Magfest 8.5 in discussion.

When: September 12-14 (Fri-Sun) 2014
Where: Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
What: A 3-day Mini-MAGFest, with an attendance cap at around ~2000. For old times' sake.

Ticket prices are undecided.

I went this year and had a blast. Saw Two Best Friends Play and Smooth Mcgroove, and realized how badly I truly suck at centipede and the original Super Mario Bros. Its a blast to go and just chill and play games. If you dome mind all the weird people in the crowd and tight spaces I recommend everyone go who is in the area.

Also, not a Vita in sight other than my own. Every one has a 3DS. I never realized how vast the differences truly were in sales until Magfest

bigkrev

I went in 2012 and had a blast. Hotels were super cheap because it was in Virgina, though, and now its in Maryland, and while the hotel its held in is luxurious, you are paying a premium for that luxury.

solidefy

We actually stayed at the Westin next door this year. Room rates were decent and it was much quieter at night. I'm an older guy and my family doesn't really want to hear Colossus roaring in the hallways all night :)

It was only as 2 minute walk from there to the convention.

I saw this video on youtube, Five Reasons to Go to Magfest.

The list
5. All the games are here (arcades, consoles, indies, pinball)
4. Amazing things happen here (Nerf wars, video game improv, table flipping for charity, super art fight.
3. Sleep is optional
2. Everyone you love is here (I'm assuming this means celebrity appearances, but I didn't recognize anyone in the video).
1. It's all about the MUSIC!

I looks like a lot of fun. My friends go every year to represent X-Strike Studios. I'm thinking of going next year.

Are there any GAFers who also go to MAGfest?

I went in 2003, to Mag 2. I went every year after that (save one) until about two years ago. I haven't been back due to timing, money, relationships, and work.

Magfest is always one of the best times in my life. It's a convention but it isn't (yet) so big that I feel claustrophobic. I have made many, MANY friends there. I've seen it grow from Williamsburg to the DC area. On the Minibosses message board, it is my duty to create the Magfest thread. Our band won the Rock Band contest there a few years back. I still have the trophy.

I definitely have a soft spot for Magfest. You all should go if you like something smaller than a PAX East/Prime.

And yes, I've seen your friends in X-Strike for a number of years at the con. Never really talked to them but they seem like nice enough people.

Last one I went to was MAGFest 2, but it was pretty fun. Probably much, much smaller than it is these days, though.

Oh yes, that was MUCH smaller. I remember showing up to Magfest that year in the middle of the night with no place to stay, so I hung out with Brendan (who was running the con that year) and chatted with him. That was pretty awesome.

It's much more of a well oiled machine, these days, for better or worse.

Magfest 8.5 in discussion.

When: September 12-14 (Fri-Sun) 2014
Where: Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
What: A 3-day Mini-MAGFest, with an attendance cap at around ~2000. For old times' sake.

Ticket prices are undecided.
That sounds really, really awesome...

We actually stayed at the Westin next door this year. Room rates were decent and it was much quieter at night. I'm an older guy and my family doesn't really want to hear Colossus roaring in the hallways all night :)
This is a good idea, especially since you can walk.

5amshift

Banned
I went in 2012 and had a blast. Hotels were super cheap because it was in Virgina, though, and now its in Maryland, and while the hotel its held in is luxurious, you are paying a premium for that luxury.

I was told rooms will not be more than $110 a night for 8.5.
That is dirt cheap.

Top Bottom