• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGFest the Twelfth - Music and Gaming Festival that GAF forgot about again

explodet

The 12th Annual Music And Gaming Festival

Gaylord National Hotel and Convention Center
201 Waterfront Street
National Harbor, MD 20745
Jan 2 - 5, 2014 (Thu - Sun)
$60 Full, $40 Fri/Sat, $20 Thu/Sun

MAGFest is a four day long party dedicated to the appreciation of video game music, gaming of all types, and the gaming community. The festival runs 24 hours a day, and offers consoles, arcades, tabletop, LAN, live video game cover bands, chiptunes, vendors, guest speakers, and much much more.

Basically it's a not-convention where you go to listen to awesome concerts with bands and DJs who play video game music, play a lot of LAN/arcade/board/console games, hang out with internet celebrities, and possibly get drunk with the guy who voices Duke Nukem.

You will be there or kindly be square.

MAGFest 11 GAF Thread
MAGFest X GAF Thread

Apologies to RotBot, if I beat him to the official thread. I have a blast every time I come to magfest, so I figured it needed at least a token shout out this year.

bigkrev

I spent 36 hours at Magfest X, and it was such an incredible experience. Highlight was The Protomen preforming a concert at 1 AM, and I was standing next to Ito from Retroware.tv

Also, I ended up playing cash games of Power Stone 2 at 4 in the morning.

If the Gaylord wasn't such an expensive place to stay, I would be there in a heartbeat.

May end up driving there on Friday morning just to meet JonTron and the Grumps in person. Hope there is some cool stuff to do between the panels and doesn't get too overwhelming.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
MAGFest is the best way to get the year started. :D

I'm 20 minutes away from National Harbor (amazing location, btw) and will be there on Friday and Saturday. Mostly for bemani, concerts, panels, and the marketplace. Would be cool to meet up with some Gaffers. :)

I'm there right now for the full 4 days and i'm super pumped. Bummed that Austin Wintory isn't making it anymore, but there are still plenty of interesting people still showing up

Ourobolus

Banned
I went last year for the final day. The concert was pretty cool though. Living in Old Town made going there a breeze...maybe I'll go again this year.

solidefy

I wish I went last year for thay Yuzo Koshiro set.

It was mind-blowing.

Heading down Saturday morning with the family. This will be my daughter's 2nd MAGfest and she's pretty hyped up. Planning to catch up with some friends down there Saturday night.

Now that it's all said and done, how was it for you all? I think the highlight for me was seeing and then playing the Emergency Call Ambulance cabinet. I had no idea it was going to be there!

It's definitely a fun time, but I'm not going there again strictly for personal reasons. Some of the people that run it are just too much still in the high school mentality. I'm sure that even if I applied for a booth, my app would have been denied just on those grounds.

TxdoHawk

Now that it's all said and done, how was it for you all?

I came down with some horrible version of the con plague and was laid up in a hotel bed all day Saturday. One of my roommates got so plastered he broke his ankle tripping over his own two feet. (He also managed to tell about a dozen people he wanted to fuck Twilight Sparkle before finally passing out from some combination of pain and drunk. I wish I was kidding.)

Also, no Para Para Paradise this year. All in all, pretty terrible. I've been going for years, but I think I'm done.

Top Bottom