• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magical Girl Friendship Squad (OT) SYFY's new ultra woke, feminist adult animation

bender

What time is it?
Someone let Brianna Wu produce a cartoon?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Hudo

Man, it's so disheartening to see stuff like Marco Polo getting cancelled and shit like this getting financed (this should've been killed during the planning stages). I know, I know....Syfy and Netflix are different companies but still...

And these are the media elites who are supposed to be "winning the culture war"? :messenger_beaming: :messenger_ok:

They should've named it "Rent Free: How an Entire Political Bloc Got 4D Chess'd by a Reality Show Host".

tkscz

Holy shit, the safe black girl troupe made it into an actual show.

Eh, it'll be canceled after season 1

Edit: You know what? Fuck it, lets really go into why this'll be cancelled after one, maybe two seasons sense Syfy is obviously desperate for a hit

1. Nichest of audiences. I've seen Syfy cancel shows that actually got more than 1 million people to watch them. This show won't even be a blip on most people's radar. The highest amount of viewers it'll get is 300,000.

2. Animated shows cost a lot of money, even when animated like a newgrounds short from the early 00's. This money is usually gotten back with merchandising, of which the audience for shows like this tend not to buy.

3. It's already dated with phrases and references no one recognize, and EVEN then, it's filled with references that will be heavily dated. Trump/Pepe mix as your villain? Yeah, that's going to be understandable in a few years.

4. Shows like this are never written to be funny or entertaining, just to yell passive aggressively at people who don't instantly agree with them, who also won't watch the show.

5. The creators haven't done it yet as far as I know, but they are going to go to twitter and have a tantrum at people not liking their show and seeing them as heroes, causing FEWER people to return to watch more..

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Guys, this show is bonkers. Orange Man Bad tropes. Gamergate references! Birth Control pill jokes! Marijuana! And to top it off, period blood attacks!

Look at these rave reviews!

Edgy, feminist humor, everyone clap. Women creators are the best, so funny!

Love the GamerGate tshirt. Haha.

How the hell did something so inconsequential end up being this weird boogeyman?

Like is GG a group or an incident or a movement or an event or what?

We're taking about an argument over whether or not an indie Dev got positive coverage because of personal relationships.

The way people go on you'd think GG is some powerful organization that has committed some seriously fucked up crimes. Not something that flared up and died out in like a 3 month period more than 6 years ago.

Its actually kind of strange. Like the very idea and reputation and the sort of overbearing presence of GG is entirely a fabrication of anti-GG. I'm sure there a even people who claim that GG laid down the ground work for Trump winning in 2016. That's fucking mental talk.

Didn't the most recent season of Rick and Morty have a GG reference also?

tkscz

Just a heads up to the non existent executives in here... Is there a profitable audience out there?

As I've said in my previous post, most likely no. These shows need to sell enough merch to keep it going, rarely do they ever. Only a lucky few make it to that point.

Saruhashi

Banned
SJWs firmly believe this and wrote articles about it. Many such cases!

Its so weird and makes no sense.

If you asked them then most will agree to settle on "GG was a hate group that force women out of videogames through a campaign of harassment". How do you even get from that extremely sketchy understanding to President Trump?

Its mental.

Thats before you get into the reality that any "victims" of GG would have been 2 indie devs with no notable games to their name, a feminist youtuber with no connection to the game development and a handful of games journos.

The way folk act its like you'd think there were mobs kicking down the doors of Naughty Dog and Square Enix and demanding all females be removed from the premises immediately.

I know there is a self proclaimed GG subreddit but for the most part the "Legend of GamerGate" seems to just be a complete fabrication and the story is told by extremely dubious narrators.

teezzy

Banned
We live in a world where this is green lit, but Million Dollar Extreme gets cancelled and deplatformed.

What a shame it is that punk culture and rebellious creative types have devolved to the point where they are no longer punk or rebellious in the slightest.

tenor.gif

tkscz

We live in a world where this is green lit, but Million Dollar Extreme gets cancelled and deplatformed.

What a shame it is that punk culture and rebellious creative types have devolved to the point where they are no longer punk or rebellious in the slightest.

tenor.gif

Don't even get me started. Venture Bros. got cancelled. The only show I can think of that actually did inclusion right got cancelled, on a cliff hanger no less.

nkarafo

There are many ugly cartoons. Some are on purpose like South Park. But even that has some charm. This shit is just ugly, made by completely talentless animators.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Don't even get me started. Venture Bros. got cancelled. The only show I can think of that actually did inclusion right got cancelled, on a cliff hanger no less.

I never got into Venture Bros.

It was sorta like a Johnny Quest homage - no?

I've tried to get into it before because I know just how much people love it, but I never really understood what was going on. Maybe you have to watch from the beginning?

tkscz

I never got into Venture Bros.

It was sorta like a Johnny Quest homage - no?

I've tried to get into it before because I know just how much people love it, but I never really understood what was going on. Maybe you have to watch from the beginning?

God no, I always suggest skipping season 1 in fact. One of those shows where the characterization and tone change completely from season 1 into season 2 (Archer is like that too). Season 2 is where they start building character, story, and world. Season 3 and forward is where the show really gets interesting. Sometimes it's hard to suggest season 2 as it still feels lost, like they still didn't know where to go with it, but skipping it would make things confusing.

Top Bottom