• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major snowstorm about to hit the South (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Nah Piggly Wiggly is worse. Though Food Lion is pretty bad.

I thought so as well, but then I listened to a podcast where they defended Piggly Wiggly, with the gist of their argument being that at least PW knows what it is. FL is trying to compete with Harris Teeter and fails on every level. When I walk into a Piggly Wiggly I know exactly what I'm getting, and often it's actually better than Food Lion.

I work at a harris teeter in Raleigh and we have a truck tommorow night. Fuckkkk.

I feel so sorry for y'all. When I went LAST NIGHT the shelves were pretty much empty of bread already.

You're doing the good work.

Nah Piggly Wiggly is worse. Though Food Lion is pretty bad.

Which is hilarious, because when they had Bloom stores they were pretty boss.

Harris Teeter and Publix are pretty much 1A and 1B for me.

Harris Teeter reminds me the most of Wegmans from up north.

My Dad absolutely refuses to go into Harvey's.

In 2014, I was miraculously sick that day. I would not have made it home from Roswell to Kennesaw. It took my wife 7 hours to get home (13 miles). I called her at 11:30 on the way to the store and told her "You have to leave NOW". Her idiot boss let her go an hour and a half later. Just went to the store for weekend food / Celebration Ale. I had to wait for a basket to come available.

ascii42

C1bkQ9ZUUAA_EdQ.jpg:large

I'm in the shaft of that blue 4-6" penis.

I live just outside of there area getting snow, so I guess we'll just get freezing rain. Or really really cold rain.

...Uh...

OEdOEPV.gif

Seriously though, it's hilarious. Especially when that shit melts, like, the next day.

It doesn't melt the next day though. 2011 it was three days, 2014 was at least two. Temps aren't going to break freezing until Sunday, so probably it will be a simple issue of people staying home this weekend.

People have PTSD from 2014. People stayed at restaurants, strangers homes, etc. This is supposed to be locally worse in terms of totals, so people are taking it seriously. It always bites us in the ass when we dismiss it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fuuuuuuck this weekend. The metro ATL area is gonna be a pain in the ass. Better find a warmer jacket...

Thankfully I didn't plan to go anywhere. I don't have much issues driving in the snow as I grew up in WV, but dangerous as hell with all the people who can't handle it. I also don't have an AWD/4WD vehicle anymore which isn't ideal.

I did have to brave Publix today as we just needed groceries in general as we hadn't been since before holiday travels.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
We had about 4 inches in metro ATL and cars were abandoned in the streets, highways were gridlocked, and I didn't get mail for a week.

It's so radically different than where I'm from and grew up haha. I get that you guys don't have the infrastructure (plows, sanders etc) and aren't used to driving in snow, but I can't help but laugh and shake my head when I witness the chaos over what is basically nothing for someone like myself.

I mean, Mammoth just got seven fucking feet in two days and people are going nuts (in a good way) about how amazing and awesome that is.

RedSwirl

Used to live in North Carolina. Went from there straight to Germany where 18 inches would come down and no one gave a fuck.

It's so radically different than where I'm from and grew up haha. I get that you guys don't have the infrastructure (plows, sanders etc) and aren't used to driving in snow, but I can't help but laugh and shake my head when I witness the chaos over what is basically nothing for someone like myself.

I mean, Mammoth just got seven fucking feet in two days and people are going nuts (in a good way) about how amazing and awesome that is.

What people don't understand is that we don't just get snow, we get snow that's covering a layer of ice. I highly doubt driving on a sheet of ice is nothing for you.

Atlanta is a transplant city. Last ice storm there were plenty of northerners used to snow who thought they could still drive that ended up just as stranded as everyone else.

enewtabie

Grocery store in Creedmoor was bare. No meats at all. Luckily, my parents bought
some extra stuff this week. We went over there and filled up on supplies. Bring it on. I'm ready to lead this sub divison in the snowpocalypse.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
What people don't understand is that we don't just get snow, we get snow that's covering a layer of ice. I highly doubt driving on a sheet of ice is nothing for you.

I grew up in Southern Ontario (ice storms anyone?) and then moved to the mountains of BC. I've driven in every imaginable weather situation you can fathom, and a few more, with several hundred foot drops to rocky chasms on the sides. Snow, sleet, rain, slush, black ice, avalanche zones. Gimme a break bud.

Just because it's bad for you (which is totally fair if you're not used to it, don't misunderstand me) doesn't mean it's difficult for everyone.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that when everyone around you has no idea how to drive in variable weather, it doesn't matter how good you are.

kaioshade

Georgia is pitiful. It's 2-4 inches, not the freakin end of the world. A 15 minute commute took me 4 damned hours the last bit of snow. Only because people panic like fools.

Even today people are cleaning out stores like it's the damned apocalypse. For a light dusting that will be melted less than 48 hours.

The media doesn't help either. Some snow is not a "significant weather event"

I grew up in Southern Ontario (ice storms anyone?) and then moved to the mountains of BC. I've driven in every imaginable weather situation you can fathom, and a few more, with several hundred foot drops to rocky chasms on the sides. Snow, sleet, rain, slush, black ice, avalanche zones. Gimme a break bud.

Just because it's bad for you (which is totally fair if you're not used to it, don't misunderstand me) doesn't mean it's difficult for everyone.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that when everyone around you has no idea how to drive in variable weather, it doesn't matter how good you are.

Yeah, no. People from up north are like, yeah, snow. Big deal. And the streets say BLACK ICE, BITCHES! and you find yourself upside down in the gutter.

Take it from us who have witnessed it happen.

Georgia is pitiful. It's 2-4 inches, not the freakin end of the world. A 15 minute commute took me 4 damned hours the last bit of snow. Only because people panic like fools.

Even today people are cleaning out stores like it's the damned apocalypse. For a light dusting that will be melted less than 48 hours.

I swear we covered this. Multiple times.

So is a "major snowstorm" in the Southern US like 2 inches of snow?
Pretty much, I grew up in the DMV so I'm pretty amused about how much people panic about it, but I'm pretty annoyed on how infrastructure shuts the shit down completely. Every year I see a car or 2 in a ditch per snowfall during winter in Huntsville.

Someone needs to post the video that the Weather Channel ran during a snowstorm in the South, where a Mustang kept trying to floor it up a ramp on I-85 in Atlanta and couldn't get up a slight incline at all.

enewtabie

Yeah, no. People from up north are like, yeah, snow. Big deal. And the streets say BLACK ICE, BITCHES! and you find yourself upside down in the gutter.

I swear we covered this. Multiple times.

Yep, I've been in NC for 42 years and it's always been like that. The folks at work that are from North of here have had accidents because they know how to drive. Which isn't the case. I drive a Subaru and take it easy.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
stay strong fellow ATLiens

My local liquor store wasn't even bustling, guess people taking this serious

I was supposed to drive from the triangle to TN tomorrow. Had to cancel that - if it really is 6" of snow, that's like a week of missed school!

Javaman

Like, I totally understand that southern states are generally not prepared to handle snow but as a Wisconsinite I always chuckle when cities shutdown after a couple of inches of show. But seriously, stay safe SouthernGAF

I used to live in Wisconsin and now SC. The big problem is ice. Up there you get past the ice/freezing rain temps pretty quick, but down here it stays around that temp off and on all winter. I'd rather deal with a foot of snow than 1/16th ice any day.

This was my road a couple of years ago...
g6azOAv.jpg

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Atlanta is a transplant city. Last ice storm there were plenty of northerners used to snow who thought they could still drive that ended up just as stranded as everyone else.

It just means I will drive the speed limit and let go of the gas in a turn and drift. Having lived through ice storms in Quebec and Halifax it's not difficult to drive on ice if you're used to it, even with all-seasons.

This is what our ice storms look like.

MrNelson

Banned

It's been said over and over that the issue is that the city and the people that live here aren't equipped to handle it properly.

Your response is basically like how Floridians were reacting when Sandy was hitting the Northeast. "Oh it's just a Cat 1, you people are freaking out over nothing" and "lol those northerners don't know shit, that storm is nothing compared to what I've ridden through" are things that I heard from a lot of friends back when that was happening.

Having lived in Charlotte for 7 years, I can confirm that even the threat of this storm will shut down the city.

Also, in before any "bread and milk" jokes are made.

My home office is in Norfolk and they had us send in payroll today. They're screwed tomorrow. Probably will just have a few data center and security guys there, as is the case 24/7/365.

KingBroly

Banned
I'll always remember the Blizzard of 95. We lived on a hill/sloped-road, and that night a car was parked on the street. The next morning, the car completely vanished underneath the snow. It was amazing.

Too bad that in Charlotte, 3 inches is considered horrific :\

Raleigh, NC is ahead of many much further north metro areas for greatest single day snowfall -- 20" in January 2000. In 2002 we had 16" in a single storm. While we don't deal with it too well I think those amounts are respectable.

It's been said over and over that the issue is that the city and the people that live here aren't equipped to handle it properly.

Your response is basically like how Floridians were reacting when Sandy was hitting the Northeast. "Oh it's just a Cat 1, you people are freaking out over nothing" and "lol those northerners don't know shit, that storm is nothing compared to what I've ridden through" are things that I heard from a lot of friends back when that was happening.

That's not the real reason for the "panic," the reality is that these cities are logically not prepared for this kind of weather. Yes, it's a few inches of snow that would make Chicago or Michigan laugh but those states and cities know they will be getting massive amounts of snow each year. Accordingly, the local government is prepared for these seasonal changes with fleets of snow plowing vehicles, salt to melt the snow, and shovels. A southern state that barely ever gets snow would be wasting money having a fleet of snow plows sitting around on the off chance that this year snow happens.

As a result, the roads have to be shut down when the rare snow storm happens because they do not have the equipment on hand to deal with it. This is not even taking into account the average citizen unaccustomed to a snow weather that likely doesn't have snow tires, ice scrapers, and everything else you need. What this means is that stocking up on supplies is necessary. With the roads shut down that means your grocery store will not be getting their deliveries to keep the store in stock. And, you won't be able to go out with the roads shut down to get food so you better make sure you stocked up beforehand.

MrNelson

Banned
That's not the real reason for the "panic," the reality is that these cities are logically not prepared for this kind of weather. Yes, it's a few inches of snow that would make Chicago or Michigan laugh but those states and cities know they will be getting massive amounts of snow each year. Accordingly, the local government is prepared for these seasonal changes with fleets of snow plowing vehicles, salt to melt the snow, and shovels. A southern state that barely ever gets snow would be wasting money having a fleet of snow plows sitting around on the off chance that this year snow happens.

As a result, the roads have to be shut down when the rare snow storm happens because they do not have the equipment on hand to deal with it. This is not even taking into account the average citizen unaccustomed to a snow weather that likely doesn't have snow tires, ice scrapers, and everything else you need. What this means is that stocking up on supplies is necessary. With the roads shut down that means your grocery store will not be getting their deliveries to keep the store in stock. And, you won't be able to go out with the roads shut down to get food so you better make sure you stocked up beforehand.
I know, that's why I said "the city and the people that live here aren't equipped to handle it". I lived in Florida 99% of my life, I don't know how to drive in the fucking snow/ice, just like a majority of the ATL population. Are you sure you didn't mean to respond to someone else?

dc3k

Wait, are you saying that you think northern/winter cities don't get black ice? 🤔

NightOnyx

Ayyyy I live in Greenville too.

I'm from Greenville too. Seems like at the very least we are getting 2-4 inches, maybe a bit more if you're above I-85 like I am. I'm happy I don't have to go anywhere this weekend. Last year when we got a snow like this, I had to work and it sucked. I don't mind driving in it, but I do not trust other people at all. There is enough accidents around here already, I can just imagine what it's going to be like this weekend.

ShyMel

As a Charlotte area resident, I hope I can leave work an hour early today. Did all my shopping yesterday and I'm not interested on getting stuck on 485 if and when it starts to snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom