• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man was it dumb as fuck to make Doritos be the "gamer" food

It started out as the stereotypical disgusting fat gamer snack. You can just imagine some filthy slob, sitting in a room that smells like crusty jizz rags and BO, with orange nacho cheese powder all over their controller/kb + m/sweatpants.
yeah man, that it became synonymous with "gamer culture" is what's really nasty.

it was less embarrassing to tell people you play video games back in the 90s when it was mostly for turbo nerds.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Anyone that eats grimy messy food while they game and get their controllers all nasty are filthy pigs anyways, so who cares

Simon Callow Reaction GIF by Outlander

It was just marketing to sell Doritos alongside Halo or Call of Duty, nothing more. Plenty of examples of types of food or other products that pair up with games, movies, music, etc purely for marketing campaigns. I don't think many people associate Doritos as "gamer food".

No one associates McDonald's with Finding Nemo or The Incredibles, or Toy Story. Yet McD partnered with Disney Pixar on every single one of their movies.

Blame Pepsico and the publisher, that's all on them.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

MSG is a salt of one of the basic amino acids all people need. It is not bad for you. The whole MSG is bad craze in the 80s was started by some racist doctor who had no fucking clue about biochemistry. Doctors often succeed in their education based on memory alone, not the ability to understand or solve problems, so sometimes they are ignorant assholes like my neighbor. MSG is no worse for you than salt, and it's usage allows for less salt overall so it might actually be better to use it than not to.
I regularly cook for family events, and MSG is my secret weapon. Being that I hail from a southern conservative US state, most of my family would object to the use of MSG, for reasons. As they say, ignorance is bliss, and they love slopping down my MSG laden works of love.

Codes 208

I personally just hate Doritos in general. Chips that rely on a thick caking of powdered flavor are not that great imo.
Though I also have bad teeth so the brittleness doesnt help either.
idk, I hate the texture as much as the flavor.

I prefer potato chips, popcorn or, ya know, real food.

Mtn dew however I will drink all the time. I do have an addiction on that one.

Last edited:

Toons

I avoid eating for the most part while gaming. I cannot stand the thought of getting all that gunk all over my controllers.

StereoVsn

Nah, eating while gaming is dumb, that’s when you have crap going into a nice mechanical keyboard. Hell, controllers aren’t cheap either.

Drinking though is another point. Or even enjoying a glass of bourbon, scotch, etc…

Meicyn

Gold Member
I regularly cook for family events, and MSG is my secret weapon. Being that I hail from a southern conservative US state, most of my family would object to the use of MSG, for reasons. As they say, ignorance is bliss, and they love slopping down my MSG laden works of love.
MSG is massively overlooked by Americans for home cooking, frustratingly so. They’ll stuff their faces full of MSG-laden doritos while simultaneously telling you that MSG is bad because it “gives them headaches” straight to your face. Meanwhile, I frequently use it in my cooking as you do, and also get similar results where folks can’t get enough.

Even some basic-ass frozen mixed vegetables heated in a microwave can be turned into deliciousness with just a little bit of salted butter and a pinch of MSG.

MSG is massively overlooked by Americans for home cooking, frustratingly so. They’ll stuff their faces full of MSG-laden doritos while simultaneously telling you that MSG is bad because it “gives them headaches” straight to your face. Meanwhile, I frequently use it in my cooking as you do, and also get similar results where folks can’t get enough.

Even some basic-ass frozen mixed vegetables heated in a microwave can be turned into deliciousness with just a little bit of salted butter and a pinch of MSG.
Except when you’re allergic to MSG

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'm very familiar with this, as most of my family would testify that msg makes them sick, unless of course, they don't know they are eating it ☺️.

There is of course a very small percentage of people who would have an perceived allergic response, but the vast majority of the reported "allergy" that people have to msg is the nocebo effect (opposite of placebo). MSG is not technically an allergen to anyone, as it does not induce an immune response. https://www.wyndly.com/blogs/learn/...pulation sensitive to MSG is relatively small.

Last edited:
You can keep your Mountain Dew, I celebrate my increasingly rare gaming time with a glass of single malt whiskey.
I take a sip every time I die in Elden Ring or when some teenager calls me the n-word in a multiplayer game.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Uh, okay? Some folks have celiac disease and have to avoid gluten for their entire lives. Or some folks who are lactose intolerant. I made sure not to use peanut oil during large scale cookouts since there are a number of folks allergic to nuts.

We’re not talking about allergies or food sensitivities, we’re talking about folks actively consuming the very thing they say they can’t eat while showing no signs or symptoms. Doritos contain a lot of MSG. Campbell’s adds it to their soups. Chic Fil A adds MSG to their chicken which is why their sandwiches taste so damned good.

The stereotype of fat people in basements with headphones on kept me from PC gaming. I don't know how you can even eat while gaming, you guys have a slave who feeds you?

Uh, okay? Some folks have celiac disease and have to avoid gluten for their entire lives. Or some folks who are lactose intolerant. I made sure not to use peanut oil during large scale cookouts since there are a number of folks allergic to nuts.

We’re not talking about allergies or food sensitivities, we’re talking about folks actively consuming the very thing they say they can’t eat while showing no signs or symptoms. Doritos contain a lot of MSG. Campbell’s adds it to their soups. Chic Fil A adds MSG to their chicken which is why their sandwiches taste so damned good.
Okay? Thanks for all the info

Last edited:

Danknugz

you're not supposed to eat doritos with your hands, pour some on a napkin and eat off with with your mouth and lips like a cat, problem solved

Top Bottom