• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe website updated with a bunch of screens, videos, and art

Kaban

Don't know if it's been clarified, but I'm curious to see if two switches (or more) can connect locally for multiplayer and subsequently play online (if there is a wifi connection)?

TZchassis

I'll be buying MK8D when it releases but my friends, who have MK8, won't, saying that that are not interested in an enhanced port. I'm bummed since that I really wanted Nintendo to convince them to get a switch (they only play MK and Smash).

So I had an idea, what if Nintendo was able to change the perception of MK8D from an enhanced port to a new title, with as minimal extra work as possible.

How:
- Call it Mario Kart Generations, Mario Kart Retro, or something similar.
- Market it as a 25th anniversary celebration title for Mario Kart (1992 - 2017).
- Pitch: Play through retro courses, retro battle modes, from older Mario Kart games with new tricks.
- Redo all the game menus, new artwork, focus on the few new courses (that I will talk about later).
- Showcase exclusive switch features: handheld mode, 2 players in tabletop mode, HD rumble, Wireless play, 1080p60.

Here's the cups, reusing the levels of Mario Kart 8 (they will have to create 6 new courses):

SNES Cup
- Donut Plains 3
- Rainbow Road
- ???
- ???

N64 Cup
- Toad's Turnpike
- Royal Raceway
- Rainbow Road
- ????

GBA Cup
- Mario Circuit
- Cheese Land
- Ribbon Road
- ???

GCN Cup
- Dry Dry Desert
- Sherbet Land
- Yoshi Circuit
- Baby Park

DS Cup
- Cheep Cheep Beach
- Wario Stadium
- Tick-Tock Clock
- ???

Wii Cup
- Moo Moo Meadows
- Grumble Volcano
- Wario's Gold Mine
- ????

3DS Cup
- DK Jungle
- Music Park
- Piranha Plant Slide
- Neo Bowser City

Wii U Cup
Pick 4 out of the 21 original Mario Kart 8 courses.

Nintendo Cup
- Excitebike Arena
- Mute City
- Hyrule Circuit
- Animal Crossing

• Battle mode: with retro games such as Balloon Battle, Coin Runners, Shine Thief.
• Retro items: feather and boo.

Use new tricks
- Pink Boost
- Double Items
- Breaking while drifting
- That stay-on-course feature
- Cops battle mode.

Extra credit

- Promise new characters from older MK games, new skins. Release them monthly until the holidays.

- Add Double Dash mode. Especially since the two items mechanic is already implemented. This will take a lot of resources but will be awesome, since that it fits to the theme of generations (from MKDD) as well as it takes an advantage of a Switch feature (joy-cons, especially in tabletop mode)

- Add Mission mode. Make simple missions similar to what Mario Kart DS had.

In a nutshell, Mario Kart Generations is a 25th anniversary release that revisits retro courses with new tricks and takes advantage of new Nintendo Switch features.

Pros
- MK8 owners more enticed to buy a switch.
- MK8 owners won't ask for a discount / free upgrade.
- Nintendo Switch has a new game rather than an enhanced port.
- Could be more interesting to older people / casuals who are nostalgic for Mario Kart, especially if Nintendo makes great ads for it.

Cons
- People / reviewers might be angry saying that Nintendo tricked them by reusing a lot of courses from Mario Kart 8.
- Less total courses in the game since only 4 Wii U courses out of 21 are reused.

Two years later, release Mario Kart 9.
What do you guys think?

Roo

Don't know if it's been clarified, but I'm curious to see if two switches (or more) can connect locally for multiplayer and subsequently play online (if there is a wifi connection)?
They're two completely different modes so no, it's not possible.

Spy

FUCK! We still can't choose to play elimination in battle mode. Damn it! :(
Someone should start a Twitter campaign or something to get Nintendo to take notice. I don't want to as I will be labeled even more (supposedly) anti-Nintendo, lol.

FUCK! We still can't choose to play elimination in battle mode. Damn it! :(

Wish there was a way to get Nintendo to notice this. At least offer it with local multiplayer if they are worried about elimination for online.

Someone should start a Twitter campaign or something to get Nintendo to take notice. I don't want to as I will be labeled even more (supposedly) anti-Nintendo, lol.

I would but I am terrible at using Twitter. Today I couldn't even figure out how to properly tweet at NOA. Eventually I got it..

Roo

But I guess the can connect both to the internet and play online even if they are in the same room right?

Oh, yeah that's definitely posible.
They're two completely different systems and they only will share the internet connection.
If they're friends with each other, both players can race online without any problem.

NimbusD

I'll be buying MK8D when it releases but my friends, who have MK8, won't, saying that that are not interested in an enhanced port. I'm bummed since that I really wanted Nintendo to convince them to get a switch (they only play MK and Smash).

So I had an idea, what if Nintendo was able to change the perception of MK8D from an enhanced port to a new title, with as minimal extra work as possible.

How:
- Call it Mario Kart Generations, Mario Kart Retro, or something similar.
- Market it as a 25th anniversary celebration title for Mario Kart (1992 - 2017).
- Pitch: Play through retro courses, retro battle modes, from older Mario Kart games with new tricks.
- Redo all the game menus, new artwork, focus on the few new courses (that I will talk about later).
- Showcase exclusive switch features: handheld mode, 2 players in tabletop mode, HD rumble, Wireless play, 1080p60.

Here's the cups, reusing the levels of Mario Kart 8 (they will have to create 6 new courses):

SNES Cup
- Donut Plains 3
- Rainbow Road
- ???
- ???

N64 Cup
- Toad's Turnpike
- Royal Raceway
- Rainbow Road
- ????

GBA Cup
- Mario Circuit
- Cheese Land
- Ribbon Road
- ???

GCN Cup
- Dry Dry Desert
- Sherbet Land
- Yoshi Circuit
- Baby Park

DS Cup
- Cheep Cheep Beach
- Wario Stadium
- Tick-Tock Clock
- ???

Wii Cup
- Moo Moo Meadows
- Grumble Volcano
- Wario's Gold Mine
- ????

3DS Cup
- DK Jungle
- Music Park
- Piranha Plant Slide
- Neo Bowser City

Wii U Cup
Pick 4 out of the 21 original Mario Kart 8 courses.

Nintendo Cup
- Excitebike Arena
- Mute City
- Hyrule Circuit
- Animal Crossing

• Battle mode: with retro games such as Balloon Battle, Coin Runners, Shine Thief.
• Retro items: feather and boo.

Use new tricks
- Pink Boost
- Double Items
- Breaking while drifting
- That stay-on-course feature
- Cops battle mode.

Extra credit

- Promise new characters from older MK games, new skins. Release them monthly until the holidays.

- Add Double Dash mode. Especially since the two items mechanic is already implemented. This will take a lot of resources but will be awesome, since that it fits to the theme of generations (from MKDD) as well as it takes an advantage of a Switch feature (joy-cons, especially in tabletop mode)

- Add Mission mode. Make simple missions similar to what Mario Kart DS had.

In a nutshell, Mario Kart Generations is a 25th anniversary release that revisits retro courses with new tricks and takes advantage of new Nintendo Switch features.

Pros
- MK8 owners more enticed to buy a switch.
- MK8 owners won't ask for a discount / free upgrade.
- Nintendo Switch has a new game rather than an enhanced port.
- Could be more interesting to older people / casuals who are nostalgic for Mario Kart, especially if Nintendo makes great ads for it.

Cons
- People / reviewers might be angry saying that Nintendo tricked them by reusing a lot of courses from Mario Kart 8.
- Less total courses in the game since only 4 Wii U courses out of 21 are reused.

Two years later, release Mario Kart 9.
What do you guys think?
Or... Use minimal effort for a port to get games out asap and get some cash and build the library quickly.

And still sell millions.

TZchassis

Or... Use minimal effort for a port to get games out asap and get some cash and build the library quickly.

And still sell millions.

Yeah that will definitely happen. However, I think what I suggested would've been more interesting and require the same effort (same engine, assets, courses, characters, etc..) yet potentially sells more (and look better for switch lineup). Also, I just want my friends to buy switches.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Also, I just want my friends to buy switches.
Your friends have a Wii U, it seems they are waiting for a game they couldn't play on their current Nintendo console, makes sense. From June/Arms to Mario Odyssey, 1st party exclusives will help you get them onboard.

Vidiot

Like imagine if there was no stock mode in Smash Bros. Awful. Screw timed matches. So pissed about this. It's so easy to give us the option at least for local play. :mad:

Spy

Like imagine if there was no stock mode in Smash Bros. Awful. Screw timed matches. So pissed about this. It's so easy to give us the option at least for local play. :mad:

It's not too late to start pestering Nintendo. I wish someone could organize some sort of Twitter campaign.

Roge_NES

img_sfc-chara.png

I'm looking for a hi res version of this artwork to make a wallpaper but can't I find it anywhere :(

Top Bottom