• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe website updated with a bunch of screens, videos, and art

faridmon

I was thinking buying another set of Joycon for me and Sister to dual when this game comes out.

and then I saw the price of the Joycons

£70

Fuck me

shiyrley

Banned
Seriously, why doesn't the Switch support at the very least the Wii U Pro Controller? :(

With that + joycons + Switch pro controller I would be equipped for 4 player splitscreen

0racle

If everything is unlocked right from the start, does that mean there's no reward structure in place for completing the circuits in single player?

I also can't remember from the Wii U version: does this game have mirror mode?

I was only able to play OG MK8 single player a handful of times, while I spent the vast majority of my time in local VS. mode with family. Now the tables are flipped, and I'm living alone - meaning in MK8D I'll primarily be doing single player stuff! I'm starting to realize the single player offerings seem be thin, if there are no reward unlocks enticing you to keep racing through the same cups time after time as you work your way through the cc ranks.

The tracks in this game are amazing though, so screeching through them for all eternity will still be inherently. I just crave a sense of progression in games like this, and I don't know if the traditional Grand Prix mode will provide that.

Does anyone have insight? I am the same way.

Seriously cannot wait for my first time playing MK8! I've only heard good things and I've sunk thousands of hours into previous versions :)

You'll love it. MK 8 brought my love for this franchise back with a vengeance and I can't wait to play it on Switch again. That I'm going to play this portable soon still boggles my mind.

deleted

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that. Its a bit cheaper than the Joycons and I heard its a great controller.

I have a week to decide, no hurry

Meh, too much hassle. Who would buy it anyway?

Here! Not really interested in a second set of JoyCons atm, but I'm interested in Snipperclips...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that. Its a bit cheaper than the Joycons and I heard its a great controller.

I have a week to decide, no hurry

Meh, too much hassle. Who would buy it anyway?

A lot of Switch owners? Game is great and pretty popular
I am planning to do exactly that

entremet

Seriously, why doesn't the Switch support at the very least the Wii U Pro Controller? :(

With that + joycons + Switch pro controller I would be equipped for 4 player splitscreen

Easy answer. They want to sell Joycons and Switch Pro Controllers lol.

psyfi

Banned
I really love this Link design.
img_link.png
What happened to his face tho?

Revven

Does anyone have insight? I am the same way.

With this release, the only unlock tied to single player we know of is Gold Mario if you beat all cups on 200cc Grand Prix. Everything else that was unlockable in single player before is now unlocked from the start character-wise. I'm not sure about kart parts, though? I think you still need to collect 10,000 coins to get the gold glider kart part and you probably still need to get one star for every cup on 150cc to get the Gold Kart. And then to get the gold tires you have to beat every staff ghost in time trials.

Regular kart parts unlocked randomly at something like 50 coin intervals and I think most if not all the karts are unlocked from the start in this release? Anyone know for sure?

So, really, single player progression is going to be very poor compared to the original release. This is what you're looking at for single player unlocks in this release:

Beat every cup on 200cc to unlock Gold (Metal) Mario
Beat every cup with at least one star (meaning getting a high amount of points while winning the cup with first place) on 150cc to unlock the Gold Standard Kart
Beat every staff ghost in time trials (not hard just time consuming) to unlock the Gold Tires

Its single player really isn't that great, it's your standard Mario Kart fare since the first one on the SNES.

Probably because the Wii U Pro controller doesn't have gyro, or HD Rumble, or an NFC chip, so it wouldn't be compatable with Switch games. The only thing the Switch Pro Controller is missing compared to the JoyCons is the IR Camera.

Firebrand

With this release, the only unlock tied to single player we know of is Gold Mario if you beat all cups on 200cc Grand Prix. Everything else that was unlockable in single player before is now unlocked from the start character-wise. I'm not sure about kart parts, though? I think you still need to collect 10,000 coins to get the gold glider kart part and you probably still need to get one star for every cup on 150cc to get the Gold Kart. And then to get the gold tires you have to beat every staff ghost in time trials.

Regular kart parts unlocked randomly at something like 50 coin intervals and I think most if not all the karts are unlocked from the start in this release? Anyone know for sure?

So, really, single player progression is going to be very poor compared to the original release. This is what you're looking at for single player unlocks in this release:

Beat every cup on 200cc to unlock Gold (Metal) Mario
Beat every cup with at least one star (meaning getting a high amount of points while winning the cup with first place) on 150cc to unlock the Gold Standard Kart
Beat every staff ghost in time trials (not hard just time consuming) to unlock the Gold Tires

Its single player really isn't that great, it's your standard Mario Kart fare since the first one on the SNES.

I'm glad all tracks and characters are available from the start at least as that stuff was a bit of a chore to grind out in previous MKs. Maybe could have kept parts as coin unlockables if they didn't, though I had the worst luck with those and the increasing coin cost in MK7.

Salvadora

Deluxe sales are already MASSIVE: it's the 3rd best selling game on amazon this year

in the US:

in Germany

in France

in Japan as well IIRC.

...and it's not even out.
It's 5th in the U.K for this year, too.

Thought they perhaps missed a beat by not getting it out here during Easter as it's a major holiday.

Suppose it doesn't really matter anyway due to supply constraints for the Switch itself.

It's weird because when you compare Nintendo hardware sold since the SNES against total Mario Kart sales and apply that to the Switch, MK8 Deluxe should only rightfully sell around half a Million copies lifetime total.

ITSMILNER

I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo announce DLC support for this at E3, gimme more Nintendo characters and themed race tracks!

Enforced

I wonder if the item balance will improve. For me, I hope its more worse. I love to see many crazy monents in the original with gaf. Like this one

DizzySmallCatbird.gif

Flaxh

Since this is the main reason me and my gf bought a Switch and we only have the included pair of joycons, should we buy another one or a pro controller? Or will it play fine with the joycons?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Game is already the 11th best seller of 2017 for Amazon.

I Think if the switches continues to be successful all year, might surpass the Wii U version.
So it went from 11th to 3rd in 3 weeks. I wonder if the attach rate can come close to Zelda by end of May.

Since this is the main reason me and my gf bought a Switch and we only have the included pair of joycons, should we buy another one or a pro controller? Or will it play fine with the joycons?
You should be fine with Joycons, Mario Kart only uses like 3 or 4 buttons

Top Bottom