• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Robotnik's Ring Racers (fan made SRB2 Kart sequel/200+ tracks)

Bullet Club

Kart Krew Dev is not affiliated with SEGA. Dr. Robotnik's Ring Racers is a work of fan art made available for free, without intent to profit or harm the intellectual property rights of the original works it is based on. Dr. Robotnik and related characters are property of SEGA.

Ring Racers is a Kart Racing video game that builds upon the successes of its predecessor SRB2Kart, with features including:
  • A ludicrously long list of courses and playable characters
  • A complete Grand Prix mode with CPU opponents and multiple difficulty levels
  • New and revamped items
  • Unique game systems and mechanics
  • Local split-screen multiplayer up to 4 players, and online play up to 16
  • A comprehensive Time Attack mode with replay support
  • A wealth of secrets to find

We hope that you will enjoy the game for many years to come.

Download:

Unknown?

Nintendo lawyers would be serving DMCA left and right. Sega deserves a lot of credit for its relaxed attitude towards fan works.
They should make a Sonic label specifically for publishing fan games. Allowing teams to sell them and release on consoles too.
That would be a great idea and get some of the cut.

Holammer

That would be a great idea and get some of the cut.
Games Workshop enjoyed great success by giving away licenses to everyone and their dog.
Growing the 40k IP from a niche product to the next battleground for identity politics. Sega already got a fan base churning out games, so why not give it a go.

You could even call it "Sonic Fan Club" or something.
That sounds like something from the 80-90's, perfect!

That tutorial is ridiculous in length. No joke, it took me an hour to complete it. And locking mods and online being unlockables is even dumber.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Love SRB2 and the best thing about Sonic is it is not Nintendo.
Let's hope Sega keeps it this way. At this rate Nintendo is shutting down mods in Gary's Mod, shutting down emulators. Taking down certain rom hacks, and even new creations with Nintendo IP. I fear it's only a matter of time until Nintendo Ninja's invade romhacking.net and have them delete every first party rom hack on there. That would be a sad day. Those rom hacks have been around since the 90's without a peep from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Holammer

That tutorial is ridiculous in length. No joke, it took me an hour to complete it. And locking mods and online being unlockables is even dumber.
No kidding, I think it took me bit over an hour to finish it too.
The presentation would be cute if it was over in 5 minutes, but no... They keep pilling on new mechanics and dialogue, not to mention the unintuitive controls. Why use a Sega 3D Control pad to illustrate the controller?

This is the reason why Mario Kart reigns supreme, they know how to keep it simple.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is the original a fan project too? I’m assuming this is a PC game and not a rom hack, right?

Saber

Gold Member
Didn't catch me in any interest, but its cool that they pull such cool concepts.
Reminds me that Sega could do something like this based on Mania Special Stages and with some tunings it would totally work.

Deft Beck

If you don't want to play the tutorial and want to get to the main game, then there are some passwords to help you with that.

Normally, the passwords are encrypted, and the game asks you to figure them out yourself.

I found a patcher on 4chan from an anonymous poster that makes the passwords human-readable.

Here is the pre-patched .EXE.

bighead
4thgear
shittysigns
tastelesstaunts
gaster (skips the tutorial)
devmode (unlocks everything permanently)
Wifi_Warrior (unlocks online mode)
Mcdonalds/mustard gas (unlock add-ons [SRB2K mods aren't compatible right now])

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Fantastic game that quite a few people seem to dislike because of the absurdly long tutorial and locked modes (which to be fair, kind of sucks at first, but eventually when you play the game more you understand why such stuff is locked to begin with. Plus it's a great progression system and incentive to make you play more.)

this game's got some attention to detail. And by attention to detail
I mean falling into fucking Hidden Palace Zone after falling into a seemingly bottomless hole in Mystic Cave Zone level of detail. They replicated that in a Kart Racer somehow, I stumbled upon it, it was glorious.
Also, you're awarded a character (Jack Frost, if you're wondering TintoConCasera TintoConCasera ) for restarting the game upon a crash. Yes. It's that deep.
It's probably the most ambitious kart racer ever made- and it's out there for FREE! Please play this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom