• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario, Princess Peach & Toad Nintendo 3DS Editions coming (European CN only)

freoleo29

Congratulations to all the lucky bastards who won! Especially those who gallantly gambled on Mushroom. ~Commiserations~ to the losers, but maintain hope there is a second chance redraw (as stated in the T&Cs)

Can someone speculate what the odds are I win my Mushroom 3DS in Australia? There are only 50 of that design to be won, but I've entered 3 times. How many entries do you guys reckon?

There are roughly 300,000 3DS owners in Australia, and I'd say half of them are not clueless kids. Out of 150,000 maybe 10%(?) use Club Nintendo (even me, a hardcore Nintendo fan, never signed up for CN until 2011!), so 15,000... and, say, 10,000 knew about the competition so as to register at least two games and enter the code. And maybe 2,000 hardcore gamers registered 4-6 games in the period (NB: many hardcore gamers like myself got stuck registering eligible titles before the competition period!). So it could amount to as much as 20,000 entries! And maybe 10,000+ of that is for the most popular design, Mushroom... so I have 3 in 10,000 chance! FUCKKKK

ebay here i come
im also from Australia and just seeing those odds make me so angry i didnt just go for peach that would be the less likely picked also Nintendo Australia only getting 50 copies of each makes me even more dissapointed.

Any pic of the Peach model (inside)?

Didn't find any, I suppose it is just like the regular pink 3DS and the Toad one like the white 3DS.

37-127-large.jpg

zroid

Banned
150 total :(

I guess that puts the global total at 2050 of each type

It's not so bad, guys. NoA may not have given us a (pretty damn good) chance to win one of a bunch of highly exclusive 3DS systems, but they did give us an (unknown) chance to win 300 coins!

Pretty good, right?

I wonder which version will turn out to be the least common, should not all of them have been won. Seems like a lot of people went for the Peach one because everyone wanted the Toad one, maybe Toad will now become super rare :^D

Michan

Congratulations to all the lucky bastards who won! Especially those who gallantly gambled on Mushroom. ~Commiserations~ to the losers, but maintain hope there is a second chance redraw (as stated in the T&Cs)

Can someone speculate what the odds are I win my Mushroom 3DS in Australia? There are only 50 of that design to be won, but I've entered 3 times. How many entries do you guys reckon?

There are roughly 300,000 3DS owners in Australia, and I'd say half of them are not clueless kids. Out of 150,000 maybe 10%(?) use Club Nintendo (even me, a hardcore Nintendo fan, never signed up for CN until 2011!), so 15,000... and, say, 10,000 knew about the competition so as to register at least two games and enter the code. And maybe 2,000 hardcore gamers registered 4-6 games in the period (NB: many hardcore gamers like myself got stuck registering eligible titles before the competition period!). So it could amount to as much as 20,000 entries! And maybe 10,000+ of that is for the most popular design, Mushroom... so I have 3 in 10,000 chance! FUCKKKK

ebay here i come

Going by your estimation of 10,000 entries for that design, with 50 to be won and three entries, you have a 1/67 (1.5%) chance of winning.

1 / ( ( 10,000 entries ÷ 50 prizes to be won ) ÷ 3 chances )

I really wanted to win a Peach one for my GF, she would have gone nuts. :(

Had 3+1 entries but NZ/Aus had so few to begin with I guess it was always gonna be tough.

I wonder which version will turn out to be the least common, should not all of them have been won. Seems like a lot of people went for the Peach one because everyone wanted the Toad one, maybe Toad will now become super rare :^D
Nah, can't be. The Peach strategy seems to have paid off. I don't think we anybody who claimed to have chosen a Peach one in EU and didn't get it, while we have multiple occurrences of people who chose Toad and didn't get one. This indicates that the number of entries for the Peach 3DS was lower overall.
Alternate hypothesis: Nobody who failed to get a Peach 3DS specified which type they wanted and there are a lot of these people. It was just the most popularly selected one and hence has the highest number of reported winners here. Seems less likely though.

Maybe I should go back and do some counting.

Almyn

I'm still reading through the thread, but I see a lot of winners. I just checked my email and have apparently one a 3ds also. So.... Did they they fuck up? There's a lot of winners on gaf.

I can't remember what one I picked.

Michan

I really wanted to win a Peach one for my GF, she would have gone nuts. :(

Had 3+1 entries but NZ/Aus had so few to begin with I guess it was always gonna be tough.

One 3DS for every 237,000 Australasians
One 3DS for every 246,000 Europeans

Australasians had the better odds, but only slightly. They clearly designed it to be roughly even.

Edit: For reference, there was one 3DS for every 40,000 Japanese people

Okay, some stats.
Winners: 18
People who didn't win: 23-29 (Tried to only count people who conveyed that they participated.)

Peach: 7 winners
Toad: 4 winners (+2 who tried without success)
Mario: 3 winners
Unspecified: 4 winners

That's 0.6% of the exclusive EU 3DSes going to GAF members so far.

Am I the only one seeing these designs as kind of sketchy? It looks like your flipping open Mario's pants, or lifting up Peach's dress.... No thanks.

BowieZ

Banned
Going by your estimation of 10,000 entries for that design, with 50 to be won and three entries, you have a 1/67 (1.5%) chance of winning.

1 / ( ( 10,000 entries ÷ 50 prizes to be won ) ÷ 3 chances )

Those odds look better than I thought (considering 10,000 entries sounds ridiculously high anyway), but still, even a 1 in 50 shot is really just very unlikely :,(

dock

I have a question for the other winners.

Are you planning to make this your primary 3DS, or are you planning to leave it pristine like some sort of precious collectible?

I really enjoy getting good use of the rare and uncommon gaming items that I've had over the years, and it always seems like a shame to have them boxed and unloved, especially with something like a handheld where others will see it more often.

The profit you might get from reselling hardly seems worth it if you never enjoyed using it.

kanugo

Are you planning to make this your primary 3DS, or are you planning to leave it pristine like some sort of precious collectible?

I'll continue playing in my regular 3DS. I saw the boxes on Ebay and they seem to no be sealed, so I might watch it outside the box, see if everything is ok, and place it in my collection.

I'm not going to sell. When I was younger I sold a couple of games -- nothing to rare, Skies of Arcadia on GameCube and others like that -- and I regret it. Since I don't sell anyhing related anymore, I have little things like this:

Debs

I also got an email saying I won one to :) I picked the Princess Peach one hoping people would pick that one less :p

zroid

Banned
i'm not sure if i've yet communicated fully just how much i hate all of you, so consider this further clarification.

I just hate myself now...Peach entrant who lost (oh did I win lose...) if you even exist, come cheer me up...all I had to do was either buy that copy of steel diver or get over the whole "you're buying games for systems you don't even own" argument...
If the Fire Emblem Cobalt Blue 3DS makes it over I'll have no regrets

They'll get rid of them all one way or another. Even if its 15,000 stars lingering on Club Nintendo.

Somebody said something about a second draw though so maybe that'll be it.

They'll get rid of them all one way or another. Even if its 15,000 stars lingering on Club Nintendo.

If they have already produced the versions for Europe, seeing as they are sent out in May. It seems only the box and top of the housing are custom. If they did already manufacture them and have some left, a second draw would be a really nice gesture.

Yay! GAF is finally back again!

I really enjoy getting good use of the rare and uncommon gaming items that I've had over the years, and it always seems like a shame to have them boxed and unloved, especially with something like a handheld where others will see it more often.

The profit you might get from reselling hardly seems worth it if you never enjoyed using it.

My wife is going to be using the one I won, she has some DS games already and can play some of mine.

Toad caught up to Peach a bit. Now it's 8 Peaches and 6 Toads.

From the terms and conditions:
ToS said:
5. The winners will be drawn by Nintendo after 31 January 2012. For each prize 1,000 winners will be selected from the participants who chose the respective prize as their preferred prize. Nintendo will notify the winners of their prize via email to the email address used for registration for Club Nintendo. The winners have to confirm the winning notification via email within seven days to the Nintendo email address provided in the winning notification. If a winner does not confirm the winning notification within seven days such winner loses all right and title in the prize and Nintendo draws another winner from all participants who chose the same preferred prize.
The part about confirmation by email is apparently outdated.

OMG Aero

I'm not really sure, I don't think I'd ever sell it so never touching and just putting it away it seems kind of like a waste.
I guess whether it becomes my primary 3DS depends on how the system actually looks in person and how the system transfer stuff works, if I can't get all my data and ambassador status across it's pretty much a deal breaker.

dock

I guess whether it becomes my primary 3DS depends on how the system actually looks in person and how the system transfer stuff works, if I can't get all my data and ambassador status across it's pretty much a deal breaker.
Apparently the 3DS data transfer app works pretty well. That might be a deal breaker for me too, come to think of it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Congratulations to those who won.

Knew I should have chosen Peach or Mario to increase my chances, but to be frank they were so ugly compared to the mushroom design.

I'm not the kind of person to sell off a prize so I don't care about the value.

Did Nintendo fix the upperscreen scratch issue?
If they did, the Mario one is probably going to be my main one :)
Maybe someone else can clarify a bit better than I, but my Zelda 3DS started showing noticeable marks after a few weeks - not scatches per se, but certainly enough to suggest the issue has not been eliminated.

I sent in my 04/2012 blue 3DS to be repaired because it was getting minor scratches and got it back over the weekend. It seems they extended the rubber feet of the upper screen to prevent the top screen from touching the bezel of the lower screen so I assume they've fixed the issue. I definitely haven't seen any smudge lines on the top screen at all unlike with my original 3DS.

IIRC they made the little rubber bumpers left and right on the top screen slightly bigger. Maybe I should have my regular 3DS serviced to fix this as it also gets the marks, no scratches yet luckily.

EDIT: Wow, reply avalanche.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I sent in my 04/2012 blue 3DS to be repaired because it was getting minor scratches and got it back over the weekend. It seems they extended the rubber feet of the upper screen to prevent the top screen from touching the bezel of the lower screen so I assume they've fixed the issue. I definitely haven't seen any smudge lines on the top screen at all unlike with my original 3DS.

Maybe I should do that. Three days of warranty left.

dolphx

Neo Member
I just got an email telling me that I've won. It looks right, but still I don't know if it is...
What do you guys think?

Korosenai

NOA...................... :(

I realllllly want that Toad 3ds. I wouldn't even open it if I got it though, i'd just love to have to it.

Pezking

I just got an email telling me that I've won. It looks right, but still I don't know if it is...
What do you guys think?

Well, the initial winners had to inform Nintendo about their shipping address within 7 days. Maybe some failed to do that, and you were picked as a winner after all, just a bit later?

If so: Congratulations!

dolphx

Neo Member
Well, the initial winners had to inform Nintendo about their shipping address within 7 days. Maybe some failed to do that, and you were picked as a winner after all, just a bit later?

If so: Congratulations!

Thanks, I just filled out the adress form. Everything looked fine, so maybe I'm really lucky.

Emails have gone out to Australian winners, apparently. I missed out, but someone else on another forum I go to won twice (yes, twice). So that's 2 of the 50 Aussie Peach systems accounted for.

Top Bottom