• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Millar chats WOLVERINE w/preview art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomoment

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16109

Gorgeous stuff. Romita Jr. is still one of the best in the biz.

jrjrWolverine4.jpg

sorry, never understood the love for Romita, Jr.

He's a hack. Plain and simple, his anatomy is lacking, his faces lack any sense of uniqueness among themselves. Hell, his female figures aren't even remotely attractive. Mary Jane or Jean Gray with square jaws?

Yes, I am an artist myself. Have been for as long as I can remember, but at least I'm trying to always evolve my style and add something to it. In his case it's always been status quo.

He may have a good mind and eye for composure, but his penciling is not good at all.

Perhaps he should stick with layout and let someone of a higher caliber (or -bur don't know, it's late for me and I'm tired), someone with a detail level of a Jim Lee, Michael Turner, hell even someone like Joe Madureria (sp?) but lacking the composition skills of those three would do. As it stands... sorry, hate it. His work on spidey killed the book for me and will kill my interest in Wolverine until he's off of it.

I know, I know, it's about the story, yadda yadda.

Don't care, I hate his "art", it's distracting to my (and a quite a few others) eye.

In my opinion, if it weren't for who his father is (a certified LEGEND), I doubt he'd even get a sniff at Marvel or DC.

As Dennis Miller said, it's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

lordmrw

While his father might have been the one to get him in the industry, it was his talent and skill that has kept him high profile in the industry for the past almost 30 years. You might not like his art, but calling him a hack is just plain wrong.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
"Hack" is a little (a lot) extreme.

I've never been a Romita Jr. fan myself, but only because I'm not a big fan of the line art style he used back in the 90s with the excessive straight lines all over the faces of people and the broad chins on everyone (Mainly from Spec. Spider-Man (EDIT: Wait, was that Spec Spidey? I may be confusing him with someone else) and Uncanny X-Men). But at the sametime, I respect everything else he does as an artist. I like his cinematography (if you can call it that in a comic book). The angles and views he chooses to tell a story are fine with me and always have been. I've just never been keen on his lineart style.

But it seems to me that the broad/caveman-esque look he is keen on works well with a character like Wolverine, it helps bring out his animalistic/hunter/warrior and occassionally primitive nature well.

So...Romita Jr. +1 for me. Who am I to judge? He's a far better artist than me anyways.

ok so hack was perhaps a bit strong.... I will agree with that, that's what happens when I get tired.

I think he needs to stick to layouts and let someone with a better sense of anatomy do the finish pencils.

In my opinion, the person who's artwork was ALWAYS a perfect fit was Jim Lee. Sometimes can get a bit busy with his pencils, but he was the only one who I thought NAILED it. The Kubert Bros. as well (although Origin had it's issues of not being able to tell people apart)

The one I wouldn't mind seeing try the mainstream big characters.. Brian Hitch.
I may seem a bit biased by that though. He employs the same deadline killing attention to detail as I do. I love his work on Ultimates, to me it seems close to perfection.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Jim Lee is a fantastic artist, but so is John Romita Jr. The fact is, regardless of his namesake, he'd be a big sale for any publisher in the industry because he puts out quality artwork at a great pace, has a distinctive style and great eye for layout.

The fact that Millar dropped his own personal project that he had apparently been working forever on (and he's not one to toss away dream projects easily) to work with Romita really says something about Romita.

Rorschach

John Romita Jr has only gotten better over the years. I was not a fan of his at first, but from mid-Thor on, he's been rockin'. After he started focusing on good shots and a more old school, less dynamic layout, his Spiderman run improved immensly. Remember when he was juggling 2 books at once? Hardkore.

nomoment

jecclr2003 said:
ok so hack was perhaps a bit strong.... I will agree with that, that's what happens when I get tired.

I think he needs to stick to layouts and let someone with a better sense of anatomy do the finish pencils.

In my opinion, the person who's artwork was ALWAYS a perfect fit was Jim Lee. Sometimes can get a bit busy with his pencils, but he was the only one who I thought NAILED it. The Kubert Bros. as well (although Origin had it's issues of not being able to tell people apart)

The one I wouldn't mind seeing try the mainstream big characters.. Brian Hitch.
I may seem a bit biased by that though. He employs the same deadline killing attention to detail as I do. I love his work on Ultimates, to me it seems close to perfection.
You called him a "hack" in the another thread too -- you're not tired -- you're just a troll.

But you ARE entitled to your own opinion, and if you do want to go around calling Romita Jr. a "hack," while no less, calling the Kubert bros. "perfect fits," go ahead. That's your opinion. I guess you've never heard of "stylized" art, have you? Wait, did you say you were an artist?

nomoment

jecclr2003 said:
Perhaps he should stick with layout and let someone of a higher caliber (or -bur don't know, it's late for me and I'm tired), someone with a detail level of a Jim Lee, Michael Turner, hell even someone like Joe Madureria (sp?) but lacking the composition skills of those three would do. As it stands... sorry, hate it. His work on spidey killed the book for me and will kill my interest in Wolverine until he's off of it.
Well, I just caught this quote, and I guess I know what school of art you're from. Stay away from my comics, okay?

I think there's some new Aspen books coming out next year.

DCX

DCX
This thread is useless without pics!!! Of all the artists being metnioned and thier work...

DCX

nomoment.. you're right... I am entitled to my opinion.

And in MY OPINION, Romitas style doesn't jive with me. Never has, never will.

If you read a little closer, is said Romita has a good eye for layout. I also said he should stick to that and let someone do the FINISHING pencils to make it a bit more pleasing to the eye.

All you have to do is look at Romita Jrs Uncanny X-men run around the 300 mark to see where the hate comes from. That run, his art personally killed the book for me. Just awful stuff.

While there is something to be said about having stylized work, to me it doesn't even appear stylized... just bad.

And if any wants to know.. my top choices for artists (changing depending on the book):
Jim Lee
Brian Hitch
Alan Davis
Alex Maleev

FnordChan

And it looks like I'll be dropping Wolverine after Rucka and Robertson's run. Nothing against Romita Jr. per se, but I've mostly given up on Millar at this point.

FnordChan

Romita Jr. Kicks ass! His run on Thor was awesome, the best since Walt Simonson. I am glad that he stuck with Spidey for so long. jecclr2003 as far as criticizing his artwork it's nice to have your own opinion as you are entitled to it. But I am amazed at the fact that you know what is best for JR Jr. You must work in the indusrty or maybe you are his father.

Doc I've done some small time work in the industry. Nothing of any note. Mostly illustrations for some newspapers and local magazines...

I am currently in the stages of getting my own comic together and pitching it. Hopefully a creator friendly company like Dark Horse has interest in picking it up.

If all goes well I'll have 6 issues in the can before I present it. I plan on doing all the penciling, inking and computer coloring and presenting it finished in one PDF, print ready file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom