• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel to re-evaluate phases 5 and 6 after knowingly having a poor quality phase 4

bitbydeath

Hopefully this is true, Marvel needs a good shakeup.
We have received word from our sources that Marvel Studios is currently re-evaluating its release lineup for Phases 5 & 6. As Phase 4 comes to a close, we’ve been informed of internal negative feedback about how Phase 4 was handled regarding product distribution and quality.
Moving forward, they are interested in pushing a quality-over-quantity approach to these phases as a way to address the issues some audiences have had with Phase 4.
From what we’re being told, projects already in post-production are still set for release (at this time), and the main focus of the re-evaluation will be on projects still in the pre-production stage. We’ve also been told by sources to expect shifts in release schedules for some projects, changes in media formats for others, and in the most extreme (and unlikely) of cases, a postponement or outright cancellation of a project that would not be suited towards the overall story of the Multiverse Saga.

Puscifer

I haven't seen most of these comic movies since 2015 but I have to say from general previews what are they honestly working towards? Dark Phoenix now that they have the X-Men back or something else? I'm honestly curious...

NickFire

I’d be all for X-Men and continuing Thor, Hulk and Spidey (maybe GoG too). Rest are hit and miss for me, with healthy dose of apathy. I don’t dislike the lesser know characters. Just grew up without knowing of or paying attention to them.

Toons

Calling BS.

They have nothing to worry about. They're still the only movies Hollywood is making any money from. Well I. Sure Mission Impossible will be big, but that's it.

Phase 4 was just another phase 1. Set up for big storylines. Fold got conditioned with all the epic stuff and a lot of em weren't paying attention when the first few movies were coming out.

We've gotten some of rhe most inventive and comic booky stuff this phase, stuff I've never seen comic book properties do in movies and stuff I never thought they would do. If that means not every show is a showstopper ill take it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I just want the Tom Holland Spider-Man now that he's going to be like the classic portrayal, and Blade.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the film being dropped for not jibing with the multiverse theme is The Eternals 2. I've never been a big fan of the cosmic Marvel stuff anyways - in fact the Guardians movies are the first time I liked any of that stuff in any format.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Calling BS.

They have nothing to worry about. They're still the only movies Hollywood is making any money from. Well I. Sure Mission Impossible will be big, but that's it.

Phase 4 was just another phase 1. Set up for big storylines. Fold got conditioned with all the epic stuff and a lot of em weren't paying attention when the first few movies were coming out.

We've gotten some of rhe most inventive and comic booky stuff this phase, stuff I've never seen comic book properties do in movies and stuff I never thought they would do. If that means not every show is a showstopper ill take it.

top gun GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Go back to the tone of movies such as infinity war, end game, winter solider guardians of the galaxy. Logan deadpool civil war. etc not every film needs to be Thor ragnarok or love and thunder.

Also stop making it that everything needs to be watched. It’s too much like homework.
Going from Avengers to Endgame was fun but a slog but I swear they paced it better. Now it feels like new superhero series or film plus another series or film that will mention x that will appear elsewhere as an Easter egg. Plus why is Peter Parker wearing his underwear on his head. Watch 8 episodes of series to find explanation that you really didn’t need to sit through. Because series was trash.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
What's left after Thanos? The earlier movies had a recurring thread of the infinity stones.

Still I liked Shang-Chi and Love & Thunder.
No Way Home is somewhat weaker as a film (though closure to the previous Spideys was much welcomed).

Multiverse of Madness up to now is the first MCU title to really not click with me.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What's left after Thanos? The earlier movies had a recurring thread of the infinity stones.

Still I liked Shang-Chi and Love & Thunder.
No Way Home is somewhat weaker as a film (though closure to the previous Spideys was much welcomed).

Multiverse of Madness up to now is the first MCU title to really not click with me.
x-men running GIF by will herring

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hopefully this is true, Marvel needs a good shakeup.

One thing people were saying is that Disney puts shows on the books as they release and in the last two years packing many shows on D+ put their books in the red without adding as many subscribers as they thought.

They are selling it as quality over quantity but 1.) how is that going to affect a service that needs constant new content offered and 2.) will it just space the content out more and not increase quality much if at all?

Some shows like She-Hulk aside, which jumped the meta shark, most of their other shows in Phase 4 were very good. I thoroughly enjoyed Moon-Knight, Ms. Marvel, Wandavision, and Hawkeye. Overall Falcon and the Winter Soldier was very good too despite a bit of an odd finale and a very subdued Winter Soldier character…

Azurro

Banned
Calling BS.

It's ok bud, they just need to throw in a few more women, gay, trans, and lesbian heroxs and the mcu will get back on track.

to many series which obviously people without disney plus wont watch (i pirated it)
to many films of new characters and getting rid of the 2 stars iron man and cap...those 2 that led this whole thing up to thanos.

lifa-cobex

How about they just end it.
It's had its day in the sun and it was amazing successful but I can't see the lightning striking twice.
All the Marvel stuff now just feels like it's spinning its wheels.

I'm actually kinda surprised Disney hasn't bought up some anime or manga rights.
Start milking that cow with an inbuilt audience to whatever series.

Last edited:

nush

At least they officially recognize that it has been sh*t. I hope this will finally shut up all the Marvel zealots defending this crap.

Basically they shifted to the MCU Zealots and the ID politics crowd and not the masses. It peaked with Infinity War, had a solid epilogue with Far from Home and then fucking flapped around trend chasing becuse no bullshit they had no plan after finishing the saga and thought they could keep shitting stuff out because the fanboys kept giving them validation. That and Covid cope.

RAÏSanÏa

Was just rewatching Loki. Expands a lot of lore and characters, which this phase did overall bringing in a lot of new stuff that hasn't had time for elaboration.

All that expansion gave a thin feeling which the next phases should help as the seeding done in phase 4 for the huge new territory fills in.

The main things being commented on from those working on the shows when reading about the various projects was that the time table, staffing and budget were the big issues with quality.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think after Thanos they should have taken a small break then come out swinging with Xmen. Xmen has large scale events you can build towards, plenty of female & minority characters that people actually like, and tons of side-teams you can make ancillary films about. Its a perfect fit for MCU style production but we getting…Deadpool 3….which will be good and make a billion dollars but come on.

At least they officially recognize that it has been sh*t. I hope this will finally shut up all the Marvel zealots defending this crap.

I agree that its mostly been crap but come on the cosmic circus isn’t official lol Also these movies take years of production. Nothing in phase 5 is being “reworked” its way too late for that without substantial delays.

Bragr

Banned
They should have recognized this years ago.

I have no faith in these people. They need to be replaced entirely.

I have never met anyone with a normal taste that still enjoys these movies. Everyone hates Marvel now.

DKehoe

The quality has taken a dip for sure. But there’s also a quantity problem. It’s seemingly constant. It would be cool if they took a break to re-align things and after Endgame would have been a great time to do that. But the drip feed of “content” seems like it’s part of the appeal for them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think they’re too far up their own ass. Marvel capeshit got popular because it was characters like Iron Man and Captain America. I didn’t like the movies but you can see the appeal. Except now they are telling people to go out there and watch Dr. Strange, who is, to a normie, just a weirdo character. And now it’s not just 2-3 movies a year, but TV shows. The TV shows are really dumb like She-Hulk. It’s just too much.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Ah yes, The Cosmic Circus and their sources. Trust me. 100% accurate and real, and not click bait. You don't get it. Back then, they weren't online, but a really underground paper that people passed around. They even reported there was a serial killer targeting the gay community back 1979, even before the cops knew. Their ties are deep. From the Illuminati to the Kardashians. They know.

And you know who made a movie about these murders? William Friedkin.

Cyberpunkd

I haven't seen most of these comic movies since 2015 but I have to say from general previews what are they honestly working towards?
Money.

Lol at quality being required from comic books having unbelievable paper-thin plots since 1940s.
MCU is no Sandman (comic, not Netflix adaptation).

Fbh

Marvel lost me with Phase 4.
The only movie that wasn't completely terrible was Shang-Chi and even that one sort of goes down the drain in the final act.

I'll probably watch Guardians 3 since it has consistently been one of my favorite parts of the MCU, but afterwards I'm probably done with it unless they make some big changes.

I don't believe that they plan on changing their approach, but it would be nice to see them focus on making quality films (that actually look like professionally made films) and not just an endless stream of carelessly made content.

I want to be clear that when I say "quality films" I don't mean Oscar bait. Something like Mission Impossible Fallout (with carefully lit and framed shots, well-made stunts) would be great by me. And stop green-screening every single thing. It looks terrible. Go outside and film a movie.

RAÏSanÏa

The quality has taken a dip for sure. But there’s also a quantity problem. It’s seemingly constant. It would be cool if they took a break to re-align things and after Endgame would have been a great time to do that. But the drip feed of “content” seems like it’s part of the appeal for them.
They seem to be working out an achievable pacing for their vision with quantity and since it's new with streaming there's some issues.

Quantity is even an audience complaint. Probably not from the kids but from those that don't want to follow all the series but enjoy it enough to want to be there for the movies. Fans that maybe would like to spend more time but can't. Finding that balance too. The problem for the viewer seems comparable to trying to figure out what was happening in Empire Strikes Back in theaters if there were shows in between that and Star Wars that already expanded on what was the new stuff in ESB. Some of it might be perception they're missing out on stuff or feel dumb for not knowing. Creators figuring out in detail what to include/exclude in series & shows also challenged quality and appeal.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
It's very popular to hate on Marvel now. I collected comics for years and I love that we have a small and big screen universe. I feel like a lot of this hate comes from people that don't understand things like that She-Hulk always broke the 4th wall and probably don't even know what a 4th wall is.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's very popular to hate on Marvel now. I collected comics for years and I love that we have a small and big screen universe. I feel like a lot of this hate comes from people that don't understand things like that She-Hulk always broke the 4th wall and probably don't even know what a 4th wall is.

I feel as though some of the TV shows were trying to cater heavily to comic readers, and in doing so didn't connect with super casual fans. She-Hulk being like the Byrne run, Hawkeye essentially adapting the Fraction run, etc. I enjoyed them all aside from Ms. Marvel - I don't think it's bad, rather that to me it seemed like they were specifically targeting teenage girls so I lost interest halfway through.

gothmog

Gold Member
I feel as though some of the TV shows were trying to cater heavily to comic readers, and in doing so didn't connect with super casual fans. She-Hulk being like the Byrne run, Hawkeye essentially adapting the Fraction run, etc. I enjoyed them all aside from Ms. Marvel - I don't think it's bad, rather that to me it seemed like they were specifically targeting teenage girls so I lost interest halfway through.
I liked Ms Marvel for what it was, but agree. I also basically half paid attention to the last few episodes and watched the last one. Similar to how I used to browse the end of limited series in the comic stores just to know how it ended if I didn't care for the story or characters.

Drake

I haven't seen most of these comic movies since 2015 but I have to say from general previews what are they honestly working towards? Dark Phoenix now that they have the X-Men back or something else? I'm honestly curious...
I bounced around the same time. The last Marvel movie I saw was Dr Strange. I just got burnt out on them.

gothmog

Gold Member
Yeah. They won't be able to stop themselves. They seem to just want to churn more and more stuff out to justify Disney Plus. I don't see that ending any time soon. They'll never get back to the heights of the Infinity Saga.
I personally enjoy the smaller stuff like the Defenders/Daredevil related Netflix shows so I love the D+ concept. I think they need to do more of these one offs like Werewolf by Night. I feel like there's plenty of areas they can go that will feel fresh. In fact, I think trying to chase the heights of something like the original Star Wars trilogy or the Infinity Saga is exactly why they fail in the first place. If Disney had started with something like the Mandalorian they could have built up towards a kick ass sequel trilogy instead of what we got.

Top Bottom