• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MARVEL vs. CAPCOM Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics Announced | Nintendo Direct 2024.6.18

A.Romero

Wishlisted on steam. If it's good I might go for ps physical.

It's a very pleasant surprise. I hope all characters are unlocked in mvc2.

Just pre-ordered off Amazon for Switch, surprised it hasn't been all snapped up yet as this has scalpers paradise all over it. Once the launch buzz has died down I'll wait for a sale on the physical PS4 version....

Just pre-ordered off Amazon for Switch, surprised it hasn't been all snapped up yet as this has scalpers paradise all over it. Once the launch buzz has died down I'll wait for a sale on the physical PS4 version....
Lol no way is the game selling out.

I’m tempted to get a physical copy but I want to play it on the OLED steam deck. Idk why they didnt make a PS5 edition, I feel like they will make a “remix” edition for PS5/Xbox at some point.

Lol no way is the game selling out.

I’m tempted to get a physical copy but I want to play it on the OLED steam deck. Idk why they didnt make a PS5 edition, I feel like they will make a “remix” edition for PS5/Xbox at some point.
You don't think these will be harder to get for a few months unless you pre-order?

The only reason I can think for not having a PS5 version is the PS4 version serves both systems and they don't have to bother with two SKUs. Doesn't the PS4 port of Red Dead Redemption play at 4k/60? Maybe the PS4 version will get similar bells and whistles when played on PS5( shrugs).

You don't think these will be harder to get for a few months unless you pre-order?

The only reason I can think for not having a PS5 version is the PS4 version serves both systems and they don't have to bother with two SKUs. Doesn't the PS4 port of Red Dead Redemption play at 4k/60? Maybe the PS4 version will get similar bells and whistles when played on PS5( shrugs).
No, why would that be the case? This isn't a limited release, I am sure there will be enough copies made.

Why not, It would be cool to get the OG edition and a remastered edition in one package.

No, why would that be the case? This isn't a limited release, I am sure there will be enough copies made.
I don't know, guess I was thinking about how hard Matroid Prime remaster was to get for like the first month or two, granted I know that's not an apples to apples thing. Just seems nowadays like scalpers will pinpoint anything with alot of hype behind it and this release seemed like it would fit the bill.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I don't know, guess I was thinking about how hard Matroid Prime remaster was to get for like the first month or two, granted I know that's not an apples to apples thing. Just seems nowadays like scalpers will pinpoint anything with alot of hype behind it and this release seemed like it would fit the bill.

Capcom has kept all of their compilations available.

Capcom has kept all of their compilations available.
The longer term availability wasn't what I was talking about( crossing fingers that Disney/Marvel doesn't delist it in a few years), just the launch period given the hype and fervor for these games, and I figured scalpers would try to capitalize. Anyways it's not something I feel strongly enough about to go on several posts about, so I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:

radewagon

Back to Sprites please.

I would love to see a return of sprites. I still think King of Fighters XIII looks amazing. Imagine what they could do now?

There are many things that can't be conveyed in 3D. Sadly it will never happen.

I also love me some sprites, but short of some indie darling, I just don't see anyone wanting to make a fighting game using sprites ever again. It's just not worth it considering how far 3D has come. Games like Guilty Gear have basically perfected the look of 2D with 3D. On the non-fighting game front, Dead Cells has done a great job of making 3D look like Pixel Art. Even a title like Boltgun, though not as well implemented as Dead Cells, has managed to use filters to approximate the weird chunky graphics of early First Person Shooters. Lastly, even the graphical marvel, King of Fighters XIII (a game that many consider to be top tier pixel work), was created by using 3D models that were then drawn on top of to create the 2D animation. Yeah. KOFXIII is rotoscoped. Not really 3D or 2D.

Remastered ...how?

They're 2D games. You can't remaster them. You eiyher completely remake/redraw every single pixel (which would take a loong long time), or leave them like this, as they are smoother and more beautiful yhan any 3D fighter/brawler anyway.

Agreed on the amount of work it would need. Street Fighter II HD Remix would be the model to follow. Completely redrawing everything at a higher resolution while maintaining the original hitboxes. The problem with doing this for the Vs. series is that, unlike, SFII, the volume of characters (and what I can only assume are more frames of animation per character), would make this an incredibly expensive idea that would leave many asking, "who asked for this?" Personally, I'd be willing to pay money for something like this, but it's not really worth the trouble. The best we can hope for are good filters/shaders to approximate the glow, texture, and fuzziness of a CRT arcade monitor.

spoonztt

Maximillian explains the history of why this announcement and list of games is such a big deal:

I'm surprised Max didn't mention X-Men 97 going into active development at Marvel as a factor for this revival at all, given that he did identify it happening with the MCU taking off and Marvel 3. If you look at the timeline from X-Men 97's announcement in November 2021 til now, and given Marvel's history of releasing stuff to match their current content, it makes perfect business sense that this collection was greenlit sometime after that X-Men 97 announcement. Sure, the freemvc2 hashtag got some traction but given how he mentioned it went completely dead on him, I doubt that was a major decision maker.

March Climber

Gold Member
I'm surprised Max didn't mention X-Men 97 going into active development at Marvel as a factor for this revival at all, given that he did identify it happening with the MCU taking off and Marvel 3. If you look at the timeline from X-Men 97's announcement in November 2021 til now, and given Marvel's history of releasing stuff to match their current content, it makes perfect business sense that this collection was greenlit sometime after that X-Men 97 announcement. Sure, the freemvc2 hashtag got some traction but given how he mentioned it went completely dead on him, I doubt that was a major decision maker.
I think he was focused more on telling history from his perspective including what he was a part of and what he witnessed, rather than counting every single factor that might have contributed to today’s success.

To be fair he did mention the benefits of the fox deal, which did change the entire trajectory of Marvel, because they were ready to double down on inhumans, from comics to TV to movies, in order to make X-men and mutants seem as insignificant as possible for Fox. I still remember them kickstarting the inhuman stuff in the MCU with Agents of Shield.

From his accounts and others in the past, I’ve mainly learned that Marvel is a difficult company to make a deal with when they are focused on pushing certain I.P. at certain times, especially if the I.P. hasn’t fully been a thing yet in the MCU. For example, ‘What-If’ would be an entirely different show if the creators were allowed the usage of more than just the MCU characters that were already on screen in live action. Instead they are highly limited in a show about infinite possibilities.

Last edited:

radewagon

is it over for xbox
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

yurinka

Are the games going to get upgraded graphics?
It will feature to optional CRT filters, flashing reduced to avoid epilepsy issue and maybe some minor censorship in some stage.

Other than that, they are basically arcade games emulated with no visual changes.

I'm surprised Max didn't mention X-Men 97 going into active development at Marvel as a factor for this revival at all,
I think what happened is that Marvel saw games like the Spider-Man series and Marvel Snap being super successful so wanted to expand their amount of Marvel games.

They wanted a new Marvel fighting game but MvsCI was crap and Capcom now is busy to make a big Marvel fighting game. Plus Sony has the exclusive of X-Men characters for several years, so their only option was to rehash these games.

On Capcom's side it was a good fit because they have been making compilations of emulated games and they didn't have these games in any compilation.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
I usually don’t go for these kinds of collections, but this one seems too cool to pass up. It’s literally my entire childhood at the arcade in one neat package. With online and lobbies and a few other bells and whistles (hit boxes in training mode!) I think I’m actually going to pay full price for this. Want to support it anyway so why not. Day 1.

Wonder where the bigger player base will be, PS or Steam? Without cross play it’s a more important choice. Hmmm decisions decisions.

spoonztt

I think what happened is that Marvel saw games like the Spider-Man series and Marvel Snap being super successful so wanted to expand their amount of Marvel games.

They wanted a new Marvel fighting game but MvsCI was crap and Capcom now is busy to make a big Marvel fighting game. Plus Sony has the exclusive of X-Men characters for several years, so their only option was to rehash these games.

On Capcom's side it was a good fit because they have been making compilations of emulated games and they didn't have these games in any compilation.

This is good info. Thanks for pointing that out. Found an article over at IGN that covered this. Posting a snippet for the benefit of others.

The Insomniac data breach has revealed Sony signed a deal with Marvel to make exclusive X-Men games until the end of 2035.

One leaked slide detailed the X-Men licence terms, which include a note on exclusivity. According to the document, between now and December 31, 2035, Marvel cannot release or announce any X-Men games on console, PC, or streaming platforms, or use an X-Men character as a “competitive advantage” in a game. The document provides the example of playing as Wolverine in Ultimate Alliance exclusively on Xbox, which would not be allowed under the terms.

X-Men characters can appear in what are called multi-family Marvel games, however, so you might see Wolverine, for example, show up in an Avengers game. And Marvel retains the rights to children’s games and certain X-Men games from the 90s. But otherwise, this is a watertight exclusivity deal that gives Sony the rights to X-Men games for the next 12 years.

Ensemble games seem to be ok, I'm guessing if there is a MVC4(5?), this is how they get them in there.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Remastered ...how?

They're 2D games. You can't remaster them. You eiyher completely remake/redraw every single pixel (which would take a loong long time), or leave them like this, as they are smoother and more beautiful yhan any 3D fighter/brawler anyway.
Also by the time we got MVC2 there was like seven years of sprites just mashed into it and it all looked kind of goofy and it was part of the charm. Like Morrigan’s sprite. Redraw everything and take away some of the soul of the game. Imagine how much work it would be to redraw 56 sprites. They’d never make the money back, ever.

That said I did like the SSF2T they did on ps3 but they’re never doing that again and, Sirlin.

Last edited:

yurinka

Ensemble games seem to be ok, I'm guessing if there is a MVC4(5?), this is how they get them in there.
Well, Sony could partner with Marvel and Capcom to let them make a console exclusive MvsC4/5 featuring X-Men characters.

Or maybe Marvel and Capcom could have the bad idea or making another Marvel vs Capcom game without X-Men characters.

But in any case, I think Capcom is too busy right now to work in a brand new MvsC game. I think they already have their fighting game market covered with SF6 and wouldn't want to have another game making them competition.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Honestly, i always thought it looked like crap. Choppy and cheap looking. But hell, they did try and the fan made Ken them was glorious (the full song even more so).
it was divisive for sure. This was the first time HD sprites of these characters was made and it probably was never going to make everyone happy. Another reason for Capcom to never, ever do it again.

I legit never thought Disney would allow Capcom to touch these games again, given sexual characters like Morrigan.

I actually bought an original Xbox copy of MVC2 last year and paid like 150$ for it because I truly never thought I'd see the day.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Pre-ordered both the Switch and PS4 versions

first time pre-ordering a game in many years but the only thing I've wanted more than the CPS2 VS games in a collection is a Lunar collection/Lunar 3

I told myself either would be day zero purchases

I still have the JP Dreamcast version of MVC1
Never owned the rest just went to the arcade to play them

Oh wait I did have MVC2 on XBLA but I hope this MVC2 is based on the arcade IMO all of the home versions are "off" and I find them unplayable these days

Top Bottom