• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Yeah you can't knock people for hating on that UI. It deserves to get slammed. I see why for us it doesn't matter, but for many it might.

That being said they could update it. I wouldn't say that Capcom is going to definitely do it, but if Super Street Fighter V is a thing and they redo the UI a bit to spruce things up, I could see some stuff changing.

I don't think lifebars are changing at all though.

I always thought Monster Hunter did so well it basically subsidized everything else Capcom did. You'd think that MonHun money would trickle down to their other titles but I guess not...
That gravy train won't last forever. Didn't the recent Switch one have disappointing sales?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
DKBhPeYU8AErKPt.jpg

Shes back in the comics btw :3

Spencer is one of the most popular and beloved characters from MvC3, not hard to believe.

IMO critiquing menus, while it does contribute to an overall lackluster presentation, is such a nitpicky thing. So many games have equally garbage ass menus and it doesn't become a point of discussion until there's other objectionable parts of the game. SFV was similarly complained about, but MvC:I got worse PR and some bigger scandals in some ways and the hate for the menus is kind of proportional.

But I bet a single review won't note how much better and clearer the UI/HUD is than UMvC3 (or MvC3s with the tiny text and shitty X-Factor indication, for that matter).The UI is the best it's been since MvC2.

it would be nit picky if the menus were serviceable and people still complained. But in Infinite's case, the menus are noticeably bad and I think it's totally a valid thing to complain about, but not a huge reason to like, lower the review score of course.

Jawmuncher

I said in the review thread but hopefully capcom hits it right with their third fighting game.

SFV - Good Presentation, lack of modes and such hurt it
MVC:I - Good amount of modes, lack of presentation hurt it

Like they're so close. They just need to put a bit more budget and make sure they have all the check marks at launch.

kazegami

I've been playing it for 5 days and I can easily say that this game is so much fun to play. As time passes, you forget about the ugly graphics and horrible UI designs because there are always fun things to discover in gameplay. My main team is Jedah/Haggar for now and I'm thinking of trying a new team with Dormmamu and Chun Li.

DrArchon

I always thought Monster Hunter did so well it basically subsidized everything else Capcom did. You'd think that MonHun money would trickle down to their other titles but I guess not...

They spent their MonHun profits on mobile studios that all flopped miserably. It was a staggering waste of money.

Sesha

Also, Capcom spends a lot of money on mobile games that mostly aren't successful. At the same time, their pachinko and arcade businesses have not been doing too hot. Of course this doesn't mean much on their own, but there's little growth there to offset potential failures in other areas.

I appreciate that they released the names so folks are blindly buying a character pass (Hey Capcom, do the same thing for SFV next year!) but they could've at least published some character art to accompany this announcement.

(I started typing this response over an hour ago but got busy.)

Since they are out this year, we probably don't have to wait too long to see any of them.

Really wish fighting games would stop being cute as to who's included in their SP though.

it would be nit picky if the menus were serviceable and people still complained. But in Infinite's case, the menus are noticeably bad and I think it's totally a valid thing to complain about, but not a huge reason to like, lower the review score of course.
I think the basic menus and ui might be an intentional stylistic choice after looking at SF5 and this game. I wish they both had some more flair though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hope this is a indication that they will stop being coy with future season passes and just reveal everyone from the start.

but probably not, they probably only revealed this one (this late) because of the zip leak :(

Let's hope tho.

I said in the review thread but hopefully capcom hits it right with their third fighting game.

Like they're so close. They just need to put a bit more budget and make sure they have all the check marks at launch.

This. 100% agree. Although good amount of modes is way better than having a good presentation if you have to choose.

Durden77

For real. It's a shame they can't put it all together. (At least at launch, SFV's pretty solid now) SFV's weaknesses are MvCi's strengths and vice versa. It's weird.

sephi22

Can't say much about the game but this is one of the worst written story modes I've ever seen.

I didn't dislike SFV's story mode as much as rest of SF-GAF. In fact I enjoyed it on my first go. In either case this makes the SFV story look like MK9's story. Yeesh

brian!

Uh im missing where mvci has a decent amount of modes, like it seems like it has less than sfv? I might be misunderstanding the term

Oh wait right, there was no story for sfv on release

Jawmuncher

This. 100% agree. Although good amount of modes is way better than having a good presentation if you have to choose.

That's true. But if you wan't to maximize the casual money. Presentation is a huge factor. One of the biggest factors on a survey for why such an audience buys games was graphics at the highest percent.

Uh im missing where mvci has a decent amount of modes, like it seems like it has less than sfv? I might be misunderstanding the term

It has Arcade and Story on the disk along with a few others. Which in the case of where SFV launch i'd consider more.
Even if Arcade mode doesn't have endings. Casuals are more interested in that than being cheated in Survival with cheap AI.

The individual SFV character stories is the main thing it has over MVC.

Neonep

There won't be another Capcom fighting game for a minimum of 3 years.

Neoxon

MvCI pretty much checks all the necessary boxes in terms of content, more so than SFV did at launch.

Rhaknar

For real. It's a shame they can't put it all together. (At least at launch, SFV's pretty solid now) SFV's weaknesses are MvCi's strengths and vice versa. It's weird.

makes you wonder what Marvel will look like in 1 year's time.

Hell, or even around Evo season really. If season 1 really is all this year, we could have some season 2 in the first half of 2018 (in fact thats very likely), so roster wise at least the game will be very different by Evo.

If they take all the complaining to heart about the art style and whatnot, maybe they push a update. Hell just a different shader would do wonders, as we saw in 3.

brian!

MvCI pretty much checks all the necessary boxes in terms of content, more so than SFV did at launch.

Yeah i totally forgot sfv shipped with no story mode, mvci doesnt have a shitty survival mode with stuff locked behind it but that's a plus in my book lol

Rhaknar

Oh wait right, there was no story for sfv on release

story mode
arcade mode
training mode
mission mode

and more importantly

online lobbies for 8 people where you can spectate and shit

hell it even has online training.

Yeah i totally forgot sfv shipped with no story mode, mvci doesnt have a shitty survival mode with stuff locked behind it but that's a plus in my book lol

you also forgot SFV shipped with no arcade mode...

...and it still doesnt have it :p

The fuck you talking about new blood?? 25/30 of the base roster are returning characters. That's roughly 80%.
I was gonna say lol... Capcom has 2 newbies and only got 2 DLC too..,

Agreed. Problem here is you can't patch in completely new graphics, artstyle, and menus like you can new models.

brian!

I feel like my memory is awful, were there no challenges and training room in sf when it shipped?

Im one of those hur dur i only care about the gameplay and vs. ppl so i feel like i ended up pretty deaf to the numerous complaints sfv had

brian!

Oh yeah, the online training stuff is incredible. I dunno if i'll use it ever but it's one of those ideas that's just like "of course!"

Zero-ELEC

Banned
In all this excitement, I forgot to post the most recent wall of shame:

8lDGpYP.png

Also, Jesus that topic was up for less than a month.
also also Rhaknar what the heck

I was gonna say lol... Capcom has 2 newbies and only got 2 DLC too..,

Agreed. Problem here is you can't patch in completely new graphics, artstyle, and menus like you can new models.

SNK improved on the graphics of KOF14 with a patch but I understand that situation is different from MvCi.

Rhaknar

Also, Jesus that topic was up for less than a month,

Dude, youre the one that hates the game and somehow are in second place. The heck indeed >_>

Nice. Not the top of the list. Rhaknar at the top makes sense with all his Dino Crisis trolling

the day Regina is announced as a DLC character for Infinite, you wont even have to buy whatever season pass shes in. Ill buy it for you.

Go ahead and save this post.

Neonep

Capcom, Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, & Nether Realm can all make competent fighting games. We can all agree on that. The massive difference between the products that Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, & Nether Realm put out and that Capcom put out is that they the other 3 put out complete products and Capcom doesn't anymore. The sales show that for Bandai Namco & NR and I don't think there has ever been this much excitement for an ASW game as there is for DBZF.

Capcom, Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, & Nether Realm can all make competent fighting games. We can all agree on that. The massive difference between the products that Bandai Namco, Arc System Works, & Nether Realm put out and that Capcom put out is that they the other 3 put out complete products and Capcom doesn't anymore. The sales show that for Bandai Namco & NR and I don't think there has ever been this much excitement for an ASW game as there is for DBZF.
I think MvCI would be considered a complete product as least as much as some of the ASW games if it didn't look/sound like dog shit.

I could see them pulling it off if Venom looks super cool and they add some X Men.

Durden77

8lDGpYP.png

Also, Jesus that topic was up for less than a month.

Think this is the first wall of shame I've ever made. Yup, this game's hype was a much more of a slow burn than MvC3/UMvC3, but over the past month or so it has reached those levels. The hype has taken over my life. 10 MORE HOURS. I NEED IT.

Rhaknar

Thunderbolts costume for her premium costume Capcom, do it!

(its hard to find alt costumes for Widow)

f_blackwidow_thunderbolts.png

Venom definitely needs a movelist remake and he will most likely get one.

Speaking of.. guess the whole "all new" characters thing was a misdirection as well for DLC now that Venom is confirmed.

How many times do I gotta pull out the "don't believe their lies" and "don't read too much into PR lip service"?

I said 347 times that was most likely "all new compared to the last game" or "all new in 3D and with all new moves" like Thanos.

Youre not wrong tho, DONT believe their lies lol.

Dahbomb

Venom definitely needs a movelist remake and he will most likely get one.

Speaking of.. guess the whole "all new" characters thing was a misdirection as well for DLC now that Venom is confirmed.

MvCI-Character-Pass.jpg

How many times do I gotta pull out the "don't believe their lies" and "don't read too much into PR lip service"?

Sigmaah

You mean you couldn't care less, if you could care less it means you care :p

Lmao very true u got me there.

The fuck you talking about new blood?? 25/30 of the base roster are returning characters. That's roughly 80%.

Yes but they're reworked (most of them) so they're at least fresh and not just copy and paste. Ppl keep forgetting that. And all the dlc is new blood. Who wouldn't love to see mag wolvie doom etc but if they don't come back and they keep adding new chars shiiiit I ain't gonna be mad.

NO MORE DIVE KICKS LMFAO.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted more

I don't know how the majority feels, but I hope they go the Thanos route and rework Venom. MvC2 Venom was cool and all....but I felt certain attacks of his lacked a certain ferocity that I attribute to Venom. But I'll be happy with anything just about, I just can't wait to see him in motion.

When I say OG Venom I meant as in his character and not moveset. I hope they rework tf outta him but keep him like the good old venom I remember.

WE ARE VENOM.

Top Bottom