• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

fermcr

Looks to me they recycled a lot of things from previous Spider-man games. It's like a DLC... but instead of the word DLC, they added the number 2 on the name.
No wonder Insomniac launches Spider-man 2 so soon after the last Spider-man (Miles Morales launched in 2020).

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The open world excuse doesn't cut it after horizon fw. And it's combat really has more going onscreen than Spiderman at times.

Not the same dev so yes it does. How many open world games look like like that 7/10 game? Maybe they should focus more on what makes a game fun rather than peach fuzz.

GHG

It looked like spiderman with far more abilities. The old ones had those limted QTEs in chases too. What should they have done differently?

Make it more interactive in some way for a start.

It's worth noting I'm not fond of the other 2 spiderman games either so maybe I'm not the best person to ask, those games are pretty much open world painting by numbers games. It would be nice to see some kind of gameplay evolution/innovation but it looks to be more of the same.

Salty Pickle

Neo Member
It looked pretty much as I expected, we've already had two PS5 versions of Spiderman so I'm not shocked it looks similar.
It's the massive downgrade from the trailer that people are noticing.
Yes I remember the feeling when Halo Infinite was revealed, the result did not match the hype. This is similar except it is in much better shape than what Halo was in.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

The water is WAY better in 2. Interiors are also way better. There were some level of detail issues in the trailer but overall from this video you can see it's mostly improved. Check out 6 min in, you don't even make a splash in the flat featureless water in 1.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
Eh. I don't think HFW is that much of a showcase of the Ps5.

Mind you, fucking hardly anything is.
It's a cross-gen title that looks objectively mind-blowing on the PS5. I mean, it does, just look at the screenshot thread, and it looks even better in motion. It proves that even if the game was supposed to be cross-gen then it's not an excuse to still look last-gen.

Three

Make it more interactive in some way for a start.

It's worth noting I'm not fond of the other 2 spiderman games either so maybe I'm not the best person to ask, those games are pretty much open world painting by numbers games. It would be nice to see some kind of gameplay evolution/innovation but it looks to be more of the same.
Fair enough, that explains it then. I'm not sure what more they could have added for the spiderman fans.

They've added a bunch of abilities. They seem to have added gameplay changes like fast flying and instant character switching in different parts of the city. Those gameplay elements were possible due to this gen and they used them to add features to the spiderman formula. I'm looking forward to it personally.

Tbh, the graphics were the least for me… terrible gameplay footage shown. From what was presented, perhaps 60% was either non-interactive scenes or very linear with low control. They even managed to put a QTE (press O to win) in the middle of it.

DavidGzz

So guerilla can achieve great graphics in an open world game, while insomniac can't. You're admitting they are a b tier studio? Thanks for proving my point.

Yawn, come back when Guerilla starts making games as good as Insomniac. Meanwhile From Software shits on both studios. If the best graphics tech is all it takes to make a studio A tier, we can be done with this discussion. LOL

hyperbertha

Yawn, come back when Guerilla starts making games as good as Insomniac. Meanwhile From Software shits on both studios. If the best graphics tech is all it takes to make a studio A tier, we can be done with this discussion. LOL
Are you implying Spiderman has better gameplay than horizon, or that insomniac is anywhere near from soft? Wrong both times. Spiderman's gameplay is just downgraded Batman. Filled with ubisoft style open world bloat to boot. Horizon offers something unique.

DavidGzz

Are you implying Spiderman has better gameplay than horizon, or that insomniac is anywhere near from soft? Wrong both times. Spiderman's gameplay is just downgraded Batman. Filled with ubisoft style open world bloat to boot. Horizon offers something unique.

Well, there you go. We can agree to disagree. I think Horizon is pretty mediocre. And yes, I like the gameplay of Spiderman way more. And I just said From Software shits on both, so no to your second question.

MrA

The water is WAY better in 2. Interiors are also way better. There were some level of detail issues in the trailer but overall from this video you can see it's mostly improved. Check out 6 min in, you don't even make a splash in the flat featureless water in 1.

puddles present story checks out

Drizzlehell

Banned
Apples and oranges. Besides, you could say something similar about Horizon too because it doesn't really do anything that games like the Assassin's Creed series haven't done already. Arguably the only USP is the area-based damage aspect to the combat but Spider-Man has it's own USP in a form of web-swinging.

Although I enjoyed the gameplay in both games so I don't care either way. All I'm saying is that there are no clear-cut winners here.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I thought it looked nice. If somebody was expecting a generational leap, the issue lies with them. Maybe certain users can finally snap back to reality about what is realistically achievable with the power level of the consoles and stop blaming cross-gen.

hyperbertha

Apples and oranges. Besides, you could say something similar about Horizon too because it doesn't really do anything that games like the Assassin's Creed series haven't done already. Arguably the only USP is the area-based damage aspect to the combat but Spider-Man has it's own USP in a form of web-swinging.

Although I enjoyed the gameplay in both games so I don't care either way. All I'm saying is that there are no clear-cut winners here.
I just think fighting the dinosaur robots in horizon is a more unique and highly varied experience compared to the repetitiveness of humanoid enemies in sm. Each robot has very different ways of dealing with them, and it's a much more challenging game, tho heavily flawed.
I thought it looked nice. If somebody was expecting a generational leap, the issue lies with them. Maybe certain users can finally snap back to reality about what is realistically achievable with the power level of the consoles and stop blaming cross-gen.
Why not expect a gen leap after demon souls, hfw, ratchet and the Matrix demo?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I thought it looked nice. If somebody was expecting a generational leap, the issue lies with them.
You can keep telling yourself that but for those of us who have some standards, we'd expect a bit more from a numbered sequel that took 5 years to make.

Check out the differences between the games in a previous franchise developed by Insomniac:

12009331-resistance-fall-of-man-playstation-3-assault-on-the-heavily-fort.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

resistance-3-screenshot-3.jpg

And this was all on the same console. Where's that kind of an upgrade between sequels in Spider-Man?

Not that Resistance made some huge strides but each of those games at least felt different from one another, and you could actually see some decent upgrade to visuals and gameplay.

Skifi28

You can keep telling yourself that but for those of us who have some standards, we'd expect a bit more from a numbered sequel that took 5 years to make.

Check out the differences between the games in a previous franchise developed by Insomniac:

maxresdefault.jpg

And this was all on the same console. Where's that kind of an upgrade between sequels in Spider-Man?

Not that Resistance made some huge strides but each of those games at least felt different from one another, and you could actually see some decent upgrade to visuals and gameplay.
That's great. You can also make comparisons about going from 2D to 3D in a span of two years between sequels back in the 90s, but it would still be an out of touch comparison. We live in the present of great visual diminishing returns, but people are free to set their expectations through the roof and then get disappointed and start yelling at clouds. You simply won't be seeing the visual advancement that happened in the PS3 generation again, if the last three years haven't made it obvious to you yet.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Well, there you go. We can agree to disagree. I think Horizon is pretty mediocre. And yes, I like the gameplay of Spiderman way more. And I just said From Software shits on both, so no to your second question.

And sure starfield isn't a looker but it's gameplay will probably trump the mediocrity that is horizon's.

The general consensus is that horizon gameplay is pretty mediocre. Most sony games with the exception of bloodbprne and tlou are mediocre gameplay wise. Of course you need to own more than one console to be able to admit it. I'm way over this fanboy trash.

Last edited:

Msamy

Is not bad but nothing new either. I kinda was hopping “lumen” “nanite” level…. Yes yes I know that’s unreal engine but still.
Sony first party titles should have locked better than unreal engine games as they did in the past , I don't know what's wrong with them this gen

Drizzlehell

Banned
I just think fighting the dinosaur robots in horizon is a more unique and highly varied experience compared to the repetitiveness of humanoid enemies in sm. Each robot has very different ways of dealing with them, and it's a much more challenging game, tho heavily flawed.
That's why I say it's apples and oranges. Horizon ensures that there's enough variety to the gameplay by making you fight vastly different enemy types which force you to switch tactics on the fly. Spider-Man, on the other hand, provides variety by frequently jumping between different activities with vastly different mechanics. Usually during a single mission you will go from web-swinging across town to stealthy Batman-style sneaking, to full contact brawls, to investigating clues, to solving puzzles, to car chases, to swinging challenges, etc. It's very different from Horizon's approach to mission design and hence why it doesn't require such a huge variety in enemy types - it does just enough to make the brawls short and intense.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
That's great. You can also make comparisons about going from 2D to 3D in a span of two years between sequels back in the 90s, but it would still be an out of touch comparison. We live in the present of great visual diminishing returns, but people are free to set their expectations through the roof and then get disappointed and start yelling at clouds. You simply won't be seeing the visual advancement that happened in the PS3 generation again, if the last three years haven't made it obvious to you yet.
Nah, I think it's just complacency on the developer's part because it's not just about the visuals but also about the gameplay being literally the same and not doing enough to iterate on its predecessor.

It's also not always about the sheer horse power but also what you do with your art style. If you want to set a different tone for the game or make it stand out somehow, then you can do so much more than just increase the LOD and slightly bump texture resolution. At least Miles Morales had snow and a holiday setting that already makes it stand out more from the first game than an actual sequel.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Nah, I think it's just complacency on the developer's part because it's not just about the visuals but also about the gameplay being literally the same and not doing enough to iterate on its predecessor.
Perhaps, perhaps not. I'll wait for the full game to judge the gameplay. I don't think the 5 minutes that were shown is enough and I liked some of the new traversal stuff that was shown.

Unknown?

maxresdefault.jpg

You can thank everyone who asked for 60fps and 4K native. Spider-Man PS4 used very good temporal injection tech that meant it didn't need to be native. 60fps means not targeting high fidelity graphics.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Let's hope another Sony 1st party studio can really show off the PS5.

I'll give props to the musician nailed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom