• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvels spider-man 2 graphics disappointed

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Mod of War Mod of War
We have several big "this sucks so much because" threads already. Do we now need threads from singular users wallowing away, too?
Mod of War Mod of War

This.exactly.

Gents, these reaction-threads are getting insufferable , it gets to the point where it becomes a chore navigating the front page having to deal with the constant spam/flooding of unneeded and whiny threads after a bad release and/or showcase.

Again, all these "Should X do Y after Z thing ? "/ "X company is doomed after Y showcase"/ "Should X person resign ?" are getting insufferable, it's stupidly reactionary at best, insufferably childish/juvenile at worst.

There's a difference between trying to have a discussion and whining all the God damned time.

Msamy

I can't believe people are gonna to do the "niche man" and "puddle gate" routine again.
No , we try to get what we deserve in next gen consoles we not paid for this machines to have graphics and gameplay that looks like last gen machines and some minor improvements

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The game needs RTGI with light and color bounce. Can just be a single bounce. Investing into RT reflections, RT Shadows, and even RTAO is a waste of fucking time. Insomniac needs to figure out how to implement performant raytraced lighting into their engine just like Epic and Crytech have. Crytech figured that shit out a long time ago:

Last edited:

Msamy

If you think this game's graphic is disappointing, you will soon find yourself running out of game to play
No there are currently many games that looks better than this shit , maybe not on sony machine anymore they shift there focus to gaas games

Topher

Gold Member
I would like to comment that, but i'm afraid of Topher Topher :lollipop_winking:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Season 3 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons
Fox Tv Fire GIF by Bob's Burgers

Last edited:

StereoVsn

You can keep telling yourself that but for those of us who have some standards, we'd expect a bit more from a numbered sequel that took 5 years to make.

Check out the differences between the games in a previous franchise developed by Insomniac:

12009331-resistance-fall-of-man-playstation-3-assault-on-the-heavily-fort.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

resistance-3-screenshot-3.jpg

And this was all on the same console. Where's that kind of an upgrade between sequels in Spider-Man?

Not that Resistance made some huge strides but each of those games at least felt different from one another, and you could actually see some decent upgrade to visuals and gameplay.
You are making this judgment on a fairly short trailer that doesn't show a lot of gameplay. In addition, Miles and Spider-Man Remastered were released in 2020.

We ate talking 3 years and not 5. That's not much at all considering modern AAA development, hence this is clearly utilizing a lot of previous assets and same engine. Which I would argue is good since it cuts dev time.

Wolverine is where you should be looking at major differences. And as far as improvement in game graphics from early PS3 to late PS3, let's not get ridiculous, the overall situation is completely different. There is power of diminishing returns as well as the fact that PS3 was unfamiliar and quite difficult to develop so you didn't have spectacular looking games (for the platform) till very late.

KXVXII9X

I thought it looked nice. If somebody was expecting a generational leap, the issue lies with them. Maybe certain users can finally snap back to reality about what is realistically achievable with the power level of the consoles and stop blaming cross-gen.
So people expecting a generational leap on a game for a next generation console are the ones who need to snap back to reality? Oh, okay...

I think it looks alright, but I can definitely see why some people expected more. I suspected it would look like this long ago so I'm not surprised. I think these games could use more interactivity and shift more towards contextual actions instead of just QTE's.

With that said, it still looks better than most games out there, but the bar is getting lower and lower.

YCoCg

I think a lot of people are focusing TOO much on the graphics and ignoring the aspect that the damn game is nearly three times bigger map wise! The first game and MM only had Manhattan, this time they've made some improvements to Manhattan AND at least added Brooklyn and Queens!

Manhattan in the first game/MM was already one of the most detailed and biggest representations of New York so the fact that there's more boroughs with as much detail is insane, they've increased the scope of the game, the gameplay area is huge.

Skifi28

So people expecting a generational leap on a game for a next generation console are the ones who need to snap back to reality? Oh, okay...
People that are expecting a generational leap over games that have already released on the PS5. It's not happening and now that they can't blame cross-gen they'll just start lashing out on developers. Fun times ahead.

Msamy

People that are expecting a generational leap over games that have already released on the PS5. It's not happening and now that they can't blame cross-gen they'll just start lashing out on developers. Fun times ahead.
No we expecting this game to be better or on bar with hfw which is cross gen and looks generational ahead of this shit gameplay trailer

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I was pretty happy with Spider-man 2, looking forward to it. Looked good enough for my casual ass and I don't mind some set pieces mixed amongst the open world.

Hopefully it plays like butter and has a good story. I'm not sure on the hate for the Venom suit, because in the 80's it was pretty basic. in the comics I'm wondering if the game will have any resolution to Peter's obvious behavioral changes. or if the end will be the creation of Venom by some means for the 3rd game. Kraven's last hunt was one of the best Spider-man stories ever, but I am guessing that won't happen here.
Long as the game launches feature complete, plays well and in a great state. This is not some disgrace like Halo infinite or five alarm fire here.

People can joke about it being a glorified DLC, but it looks pretty massive with some improvements. I'll take it. Haters can hate all they want and pick it apart. Not every game needs to be a graphical show case.
I expect the same people who trashed God of War will be all over this. The fact this is releasing this year is pretty crazy.

Like in sports, when a team becomes a dynasty. Eventually people just want to find reasons to tear it down. It's no different here, people just want to complain about Sony, it's only natural.

Last edited:

carsar

The game needs RTGI with light and color bounce. Can just be a single bounce. Investing into RT reflections, RT Shadows, and even RTAO is a waste of fucking time. Insomniac needs to figure out how to implement performant raytraced lighting into their engine just like Epic and Crytech have. Crytech figured that shit out a long time ago:

realtime gi is not a problem in this case.
22ef96da-2f28-527f-9f09-c9d0e560cd14

It's more about assets' and materials' quality and about vision and competence of developers.

RTX is nothing if designers have no talents and skills. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum with RTX is a perfect example.

Msamy

I was pretty happy with Spider-man 2, looking forward to it. Looked good enough for my casual ass and I don't mind some set pieces mixed amongst the open world.

Hopefully it plays like butter and has a good story. I'm not sure on the hate for the Venom suit, because in the 80's it was pretty basic. in the comics I'm wondering if the game will have any resolution to Peter's obvious behavioral changes. or if the end will be the creation of Venom by some means for the 3rd game. Kraven's last hunt was one of the best Spider-man stories ever, but I am guessing that won't happen here.
Long as the game launches feature complete, plays well and in a great state. This is not some disgrace like Halo infinite or five alarm fire here.

People can joke about it being a glorified DLC, but it looks pretty massive with some improvements. I'll take it. Haters can hate all they want and pick it apart. Not every game needs to be a graphical show case.
I expect the same people who trashed God of War will be all over this. The fact this is releasing this year is pretty crazy.

Like in sports, when a team becomes a dynasty. Eventually people just want to find reasons to tear it down. It's no different here, people just want to complain about Sony, it's only natural.
You pretty happy to play ps4 game in ps5 , so what's the meaning of buying ps5 ?

SABRE220

You are making this judgment on a fairly short trailer that doesn't show a lot of gameplay. In addition, Miles and Spider-Man Remastered were released in 2020.

We ate talking 3 years and not 5. That's not much at all considering modern AAA development, hence this is clearly utilizing a lot of previous assets and same engine. Which I would argue is good since it cuts dev time.

Wolverine is where you should be looking at major differences. And as far as improvement in game graphics from early PS3 to late PS3, let's not get ridiculous, the overall situation is completely different. There is power of diminishing returns as well as the fact that PS3 was unfamiliar and quite difficult to develop so you didn't have spectacular looking games (for the platform) till very late.
The judgments are being made on the basis of the carefully chosen trailer meant to showcase the game in its best light. Miles Morales was a DLC, not a complete game, and already reused a lot of assets from the base game, try not to conflate that with developing a new full game and remastered was legit an upscale of the base game on ps5....the pc port was handled by Nixxes. The game is about to be released within 6 months what massive improvements in rendering tech are you expecting exactly? At best they will try to reduce the visual bugs.

You're simply giving them an out which has been happening this whole gen, year after year. They have been developing this game as a next-gen exclusive hyping it up as a visual tour de force themselves and they delivered media that is heavily downgraded from the release trailer. Guerilla delivered a more impressive game while making it cross gen across three consoles and even made a more impressive dlc on top.

Are you kidding me, dude, you are saying its too much to expect a high tier first party dev to deliver comparable improvements in iterative tech on completely new generation of hardware with vastly superior cpu,gpu and streaming tech compared to ones delivered on the same console...do you not see the problem here...

I love Insomniac but expecting the bare minimum has resulted in them dropping standards.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I mean, it doesn't look great for a PS5 only game, but it's far from being its biggest problem - you actually have to play it and get worse combat (gets old, tedious and boring extremely fast) and overall gameplay experience (there's only so much you can do with Spider-Man) than in Arkham games imho.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m glad.

This is what I’ve been saying for years.
And getting laughed at for.

The egregious push for 60fps has completely ruined graphical fidelity this gen.

You goddamn frame nerds demanding 60fps in every game done fucked around and ruined gaming.

Lmao.

I hope the framerate warriors are happy.

Now the rest of us have to be satisfied with PS4 games at 60fps as the bar for next gen.

Disgustingly low standards.makes me wanna puke. Sacrifice literally everything for framerate. Yay.

Ozzie666

You pretty happy to play ps4 game in ps5 , so what's the meaning of buying ps5 ?

If it means fast loading times, bigger game, better open world performance, more open world life, more spider-man - it doesn't bother me. If it means dual sense functions, doesn't bother me. I'm not a graphics whore, plenty of games push the limits. I'm pretty sure I represent the majority of people outside of gaming forums. 20+ million people will buy, love and play this game on PS5.

Msamy

realtime gi is not a problem in this case.
22ef96da-2f28-527f-9f09-c9d0e560cd14

It's more about assets' and materials' quality and about vision and competence of developers.

RTX is nothing if designers have no talents and skills. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum with RTX is a perfect example.
Yes their are many problems alongside rt gi one of them lacking talent

ToadMan

Graphics looked “next gen” (being this gen) to me.

And that’s where we are - incremental graphical improvements across gens. That will continue until/unless some ground breaking new tech is discovered. We are just at that point in computing power with current technology.

Also, at least the graphics were believable - god knows we’ve had plenty of CGI or PC bull-vids masquerading as console gameplay.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Two days ago fanboys were boasting about expectations of a true "generational leap"

Now comes reality and "why do you talk so much about graphiccss???"

Msamy

If it means fast loading times, bigger game, better open world performance, more open world life, more spider-man - it doesn't bother me. If it means dual sense functions, doesn't bother me. I'm not a graphics whore, plenty of games push the limits. I'm pretty sure I represent the majority of people outside of gaming forums. 20+ million people will buy, love and play this game on PS5.
I can't see anything of what you said aside from dual scene features , fast loading that can't do in ps4 , graphics and next gen gameplay mechanics like they first may be cgi trailer that's what we need

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I’m glad.

You goddamn frame nerds demanding 60fps in every game done fucked around and ruined gaming.

Lmao.

Now the rest of us have to be satisfied with PS4 games at 60fps as the bar for next gen.

Disgustingly low standards.makes me wanna puke. Sacrifice literally everything for framerate. Yay.

You know what, I might have argued you on this a few weeks ago given how much I've been pro 60fps this generation, but I'm 40 hours deep into Tears Of The Kingdom and yeah... frame rate doesn't matter for shit if the game is incredible.

Less chasing framerate, more chasing quality gameplay.

I actually think the lighting especially is closer to reality. The textures on the buildings look better too. Plus we get to go to Queens and hopefully Brooklyn. Count me in.

I'll never get over Peter's face change though. I'm just going to consider this sequel a "separate" universe with a different Peter.

Robb

Gold Member
It looks pretty great imo.

The only thing that stuck out to me was the venom suit and the ‘shine’ effect they use to make it look organic (I guess). That specifically looks pretty darn bad to me for some reason

Senua

I’m glad.

Lmao.

Horizon looks way better so....

Msamy

Two days ago fanboys were boasting about expectations of a true "generational leap"

Now comes reality and "why do you talk so much about graphiccss???"
Because we buy next gen higher price machines because of that if its just gameplay we can stick with hardware that have same power like Nintendo switch which have games with very good gameplay

Ozzie666

I can't see anything of what you said aside from dual scene features , fast loading that can't do in ps4 , graphics and next gen gameplay mechanics like they first may be cgi trailer that's what we need

I think your trying too hard here. Maybe we should wait until we have the game installed and actually play it potentially 4-6 months from now. I'll let you know if I enjoy it and if the graphics bother me. Happy to admit if the game disappoints and doesn't make up for it's graphics.

sigmaZ

Try looking at the 4K trailer OP.
I was disappointed too and had a pleasant surprise.
It really does look much better than the first game.

The upclose character models look great. There's something off about the buildings and a bit of pop-in with some of the windows. And then anti-aliasing issues when he's distanced from the hunters in that one scene. I think all in all the gameplay looks far more fluid.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

In select scenes, he's not wrong. The opening helicopter scene with the ridiculous draw distance genuinely wowed me. But then the surface combat scenes (which there were more of) looked notably worse than Miles Morales and around the same quality as OG Spiderman, maybe even less. I made this joke comparison in the Graphics thread stemming from past conversations of my predictions and expectations, but in all seriousness, look at this SM2 official screenshot release above compared to Spiderman Far From Home Movie from 2019. I watched the trailer over 1000 times at this point and this scene is nowhere to be found. Why the heck did they not share this part of the gameplay in the trailer? Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They would have been so much better of showing a 30sec teaser of Miles flying in between skyscrapers as he's doing here and fans would have loved it. Save the other gameplay visuals until they are at the quality we expect from Insomniac Games.

UL39dCB.jpg

TkYf80q.jpg

I can't believe people are gonna to do the "niche man" and "puddle gate" routine again.

That's not what's going on here at all.

Msamy

I think your trying too hard here. Maybe we should wait until we have the game installed and actually play it potentially 4-6 months from now. I'll let you know if I enjoy it and if the graphics bother me. Happy to admit if the game disappoints and doesn't make up for it's graphics.
Not trying too hard , I am very disappointed from yesterday

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont know, looks great to me, graphically looks better than the original game.

I think some of you guys really have gone crazy because of this showcase and start nitpicking everything

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The 2018 game looks better, even in pure gameplay vs cutscenes.
HrJZt3l.gif

HrJZDa2.gif

HrJm4S4.gif

HrJmrlf.gif
two from a a close up camera, another two is from further distance camera? seems like a shitty comparison to me

Last edited:
Top Bottom