• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Sales Reach 14.4M Units (as of June 2023)

The slide also contains some additional key financial measures including projections for the upcoming Venom title.

OkQWOaW.jpg

Lots of Juicy data here!

Firstly is the Marvel Royalty fee a one off payment? Is the profit share what marvel makes per unit?

Secondly is COGS retailer and shipping costs?

Thirdly marketing really isn't all that much. It's been rumoured for a while that marketing doubles development costs(Never ever any data to back this up).
Well this heavily calls that into question. Presumably Sony's other First party titles have similar marketing budgets.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lots of Juicy data here!

Firstly is the Marvel Royalty fee a one off payment? Is the profit share what marvel makes per unit?

Secondly is COGS retailer and shipping costs?

Thirdly marketing really isn't all that much. It's been rumoured for a while that marketing doubles development costs(Never ever any data to back this up).
Well this heavily calls that into question. Presumably Sony's other First party titles have similar marketing budgets.

- The Marvel royalty fee is a percentage. Around 15-20% based on a few factors.

- Since marketing for these games are 30% of the dev budget.....I'd guess the biggest Sony games have marketing in the 50% of the dev budget region. But not 100% like people were saying with no proof.

mckmas8808

That’s a lot of royalties for Marvel..

Yep! And even more profit for Sony and Insomniac on top of that. Honestly guys..............lets keep it real. This is why Insomniac will be making Marvel games for the next 10 years. There's just too much profit, money, and fun to be had.

I wish they'll let Insomniac do a few original games in between though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great game and awesome results.

I'd love for Insomniac to be able to make some original games, but You can see why they have been assigned to these games. They make great games, that perform extremely well.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
All in costs of 250m not bad at all considering Marvel ip license. Development cost at $120 million is perfect. I wish Sony would make more of these high production with 10hr story length. Remove the bloat please.

That’s a lot of royalties for Marvel..

More than worth it for well established and universally loved character.

- The Marvel royalty fee is a percentage. Around 15-20% based on a few factors.
Cool thanks
- Since marketing for these games are 30% of the dev budget.....I'd guess the biggest Sony games have marketing in the 50% of the dev budget region. But not 100% like people were saying with no proof.
Is it? Venom has the same marketing budget despite having a much bigger dev budget.

Increasing the marketing budget because the dev budget is bigger seems crazy. It's only worth it if you can more than cover the costs.

This game has sold more than Horizon FW and Last of us part 2 if anything you could justify having a bigger marketing budget for this game than those.

Interesting to see the marketing budgets at 25 million. People like to throw absurd numbers like 150 million.
Yes bloody Chinese whispers in real time.

As far as I can recall that came when GTA5 budget was rumored (This was never verified either). It was 150 million and close to a similar amount in marketing.

Of course every game is like GTA5 and gamers are geniuses so every game has a marketing budget this big. 🙄

Oh as Returnals biggest fan maybe you should try God of War Valhalla!

mckmas8808

Is it? Venom has the same marketing budget despite having a much bigger dev budget.

Increasing the marketing budget because the dev budget is bigger seems crazy. It's only worth it if you can more than cover the costs.

This game has sold more than Horizon FW and Last of us part 2 if anything you could justify having a bigger marketing budget for this game than those.

Yeah it's marketing budget for Venom is probably capped due to the "type" of game it is for Sony. It's a "gap" game and not a mainline game being sold for $70. I think it's super smart for Sony to find that middle ground like Uncharted Lost Legacy, Spiderman:MM and now Venom. I'm shocked no one else is thinking of doing it.

Hopefully it will also work well for Blade and Indy.

Not being made by a Sony studio though. So we'll wait and see on that.

Yeah it's marketing budget for Venom is probably capped due to the "type" of game it is for Sony. It's a "gap" game and not a mainline game being sold for $70. I think it's super smart for Sony to find that middle ground like Uncharted Lost Legacy, Spiderman:MM and now Venom. I'm shocked no one else is thinking of doing it.

Not being made by a Sony studio though. So we'll wait and see on that.
You have to question how much traditional marketing e.g. Billboards, TV adverts, Buses etc matters in todays social media environment.

When Rockstar can release a 2 minute trailer at a completely random time and it gets 154 million views... what elese do you need?

mckmas8808

You have to question how much traditional marketing e.g. Billboards, TV adverts, Buses etc matters in todays social media environment.

When Rockstar can release a 2 minute trailer at a completely random time and it gets 154 million views... what elese do you need?

Well we know for sure you don't need a $150 million marketing budget. That's for sure. Especially now that we know Spiderman 2018 had a $45 million marketing budget. And I saw posters every where for that game. It's almost double the marketing budget Miles Morales had, but it wasn't the $100-$150 million in marketing people thought it was.

Well we know for sure you don't need a $150 million marketing budget. That's for sure. Especially now that we know Spiderman 2018 had a $45 million marketing budget. And I saw posters every where for that game. It's almost double the marketing budget Miles Morales had, but it wasn't the $100-$150 million in marketing people thought it was.
Where's the marketing budget for 2018 from please?

saintjules

Miles lacked the good villains and were average to the sinister 6 in Spider-Man 1.

Apparently that's irrelevant to the sales, but then again, if many thought the same as you prior to purchase, would the number of units sold be lower because of average villains?

When will the next Spider-Verse movie be coming out?

It was delayed indefinitely. It was supposed to come out in March 2024, but now there is speculation that it won't come out until 2025. That might be too long though. I'm sure they would like to release it next summer, but that might be too soon and that might push it into 2025.

mckmas8808

It was delayed indefinitely. It was supposed to come out in March 2024, but now there is speculation that it won't come out until 2025. That might be too long though. I'm sure they would like to release it next summer, but that might be too soon and that might push it into 2025.

Even better for the Holiday 2025 Venom game for Sony.....

The Grinch Smile GIF by Peacock

Last edited:

yazenov

For the folks not paying attention.....that's a quarter of a BILLION dollars in pure profit and a 242% ROI. So can someone explain why this Marvel deal is bad again? And why it was smart for MS to pass on it?

Yeah, the royalty fees for using their IP are well worth it looking at the ROI. It's probably one of the most well-known iconic superheroes ever and it's in good hands with Insomniac and Sony.

Sony is going to lock in the deal with Disney for years to come and the contract will be extended without doubt. There is just too much money on the table for both parties. Sony was also smart to get the X-Men deal.

mckmas8808

Yeah, the royalty fees for using their IP are well worth it looking at the ROI. It's probably one of the most well-known iconic superheroes ever and it's in good hands with Insomniac and Sony.

Sony is going to lock in the deal with Disney for years to come and the contract will be extended without doubt. There is just too much money on the table for both parties. Sony was also smart to get the X-Men deal.

I hope Insomniac focuses more on X-Men in the 2030s than Spiderman. The 2020s should be a heavy focus on Spiderman and then let us let Insomniac move on to other characters in the X-Men universe.

Top Bottom