• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider Man 2 Releases on October 20, Cover Art Revealed, Venom and Pre Order Bonuses Revealed | Summer Game Fest 2023

dotnotbot

What would happen to PS5 Digital console owners if they ordered a collector's edition that came with a disc?

A digital code can be used by both Disc and Digital console owners.
A disc can only be used by Disc console owners.

If that's their choice Sony should make a separate digital only version of this CE, I'm sure they would be happy to own this statue and steelbook as 3D models in Playstation Stars gallery. No more pointless clutter for them and more friendly to environment.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What would happen to PS5 Digital console owners if they ordered a collector's edition that came with a disc?

A digital code can be used by both Disc and Digital console owners.
A disc can only be used by Disc console owners.

They can buy the digital deluxe edition, they made their choice. Or Sony could also produce a proper physical collector's edition.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They can buy the digital deluxe edition, they made their choice. Or Sony could also produce a proper physical collector's edition.
Or, you can sell the digital code and buy a disc version to go in the case.

Most publishers have been doing this for these CE's the past two gens, mainly this one. It stinks, but it is what it is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Or, you can sell the digital code and buy a disc version to go in the case.

Most publishers have been doing this for these CE's the past two gens, mainly this one. It stinks, but it is what it is.

You know, it would be better in that case if the collector's edition didn't include a game at all (and was correspondingly cheaper), and then you could choose to buy whatever version of the game you want. Ragnarök did this I think? I will admit that I thought that was stupid too, but having only the digital version of the game in a physical collector's edition is stupider.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You know, it would be better in that case if the collector's edition didn't include a game at all (and was correspondingly cheaper), and then you could choose to buy whatever version of the game you want. Ragnarök did this I think? I will admit that I thought that was stupid too, but having only the digital version of the game in a physical collector's edition is stupider.
A few did that. I think RDR2 had a box without the game, D4 recently. A handful of others.

I don't thing they're as attractive as with a game, however. Code or not. But as others have said, if you have a digital console, but want the collector's stuff, you still can have a game since the code works on both, a disc does not.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A few did that. I think RDR2 had a box without the game, D4 recently. A handful of others.

I don't thing they're as attractive as with a game, however. Code or not. But as others have said, if you have a digital console, but want the collector's stuff, you still can have a game since the code works on both, a disc does not.
Yeah, but I bought a disc drive PS5 so that I could buy physical games for it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, but I bought a disc drive PS5 so that I could buy physical games for it.
I get it. Maybe trade with someone.

Or we should start a thread for these situations where people will do each other a solid and trade if they were going to buy digital anyways.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I get it. Maybe trade with someone.

Or we should start a thread for these situations where people will do each other a solid and trade if they were going to buy digital anyways.

I'm just gonna buy the standard physical edition, don't really need more statues and crap lol. I just think it's a pretty dumb way to do it!

Isn't this weird that they decided not to reveal release date in their home show but then announce a few days later in a less hyped showcase?
It really is. Plus all those other third party games that are getting additional trailers and demos in different showcases. I really don't under Sony's strategy with that showcase. Where were their other first party studios? If they got rid of all the duplicative third party trailers, they would have had a ton of time for in-depth previews. The only way Sony's showcase makes any sense is if they decided they only wanted to show games that had hard release dates between now and April/May 2024.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Fucking hell, I wish they did normal Steelbook editions.

Seems they always lock it behind the collector editions now.
It's insane they make you Pay extra for a steelbook....with NO DISC to put in it.

My theory is they are taking advantage of collectors and physical owners. They want to force them to double dip. Buy the collectors edition then the standard to get an actual disc.

If that's the case then that's scummy af

Topher

Gold Member
Skins in the Digital Deluxe Edition cannot be unlocked in the regular edition.

Is that typical?

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Skins in the Digital Deluxe Edition cannot be unlocked in the regular edition.

Is that typical?

I think so. I imagine they'll have a digital deluxe upgrade fee of $10 at some point to get them. I'm probably doing the DDE. Sure beats $10 for a soundtrack and art book like other games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
First of all, people with digital wont have a clue what coverart or statues are. One thing I’ll never forget about the first Spider-Man is the city.
Spider-Man Waiting GIF by PlayStation
spider-man marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs
spider-man marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Top Bottom