• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Trey

Can someone tell me what is the point of having multiple biotic attacks considering there is only one cooldown for all powers?

Different situations require a different power.

But you're doing it wrong if you're not spamming Charge as a Vanguard.

Zeliard

Yup, but he doesn't do much from what I remember. Just a few lines here and there.

Yeah, it doesn't seem worth it at all to go in with any dead characters. Kinda just getting an inferior experience. I particularly couldn't see the post-Sur'Kesh stuff being nearly as fun without Wrex and Mordin.

Can someone tell me what is the point of having multiple biotic attacks considering there is only one cooldown for all powers?

So you can choose which one is best for any given situation.

Different situations require a different power.

But you're doing it wrong if you're not spamming Charge as a Vanguard.

I chose the Adept class, and basically I use a power then play the game as a shooter for 10 seconds waiting for the next power use, rinse and repeat. I don't feel like an "adept" of biotics anymore than in previous games, when I played a Vanguard. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Zeliard

I chose the Adept class, and basically I use a power then play the game as a shooter for 10 seconds waiting for the next power use, rinse and repeat. I don't feel like an "adept" of biotics anymore than in previous games, when I played a Vanguard. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

If you're playing an Adept and it takes 10 seconds for your powers to recharge, you are doing something wrong. Get that weight down. :p

abundant

You're carrying too much weapons. With a Cool Down bonus of 150% or higher, your Biotic cool downs are like 1 second long. Warp and Shockwave will have the longest cool down (3 seconds).

If you're playing an Adept and it takes 10 seconds for your powers to recharge, you are doing something wrong. Get that weight down. :p

That's probably a huge part of my problem right there. I have no idea how to get my cooldown lower. When I browsed the talent tree, I don't remember much of anything to that effect...?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

If you're an adept, you need a pistol and SMG only. And have fun with Singularity and Throw every second.

You're carrying too much weapons. With a Cool Down bonus of 150% or higher, your Biotic cool downs are like 1 second long. Warp and Shockwave will have the longest cool down (3 seconds).

Oh I thought people were talking about armor when referring to weight. That's huge, can't believe I did not know that. Thanks.

Is there any downside to going over the weight limit as a Soldier who seldom uses powers outside of ammo ones? One of the menu prompts said something about making sure I didn't overload my teammates either but there's no indicator for their loadout screens? Do I share the bar with them or something? I obviously want my biotic-leaning teammates to not be encumbered.

Trey

Is there any downside to going over the weight limit as a Soldier who seldom uses powers outside of ammo ones? One of the menu prompts said something about making sure I didn't overload by teammates either but there's no indicator for their loadout screens? Do I share a bar with them or something?

You kill faster with powers. No, you don't share a bar with teammates. Theirs is hidden for some reason.

MechaX

Currently about two hours in ME3 now. I do like how I'm finally satisfied with how my FemShep transferred over. Gave her a quick change of hair, since the hair in 3 doesn't look like glossy plastic, and she looks even better than she did in ME2 by far. I'm rolling Infiltrator right now and things like weight burden and lack of heavy sniper rifle slowdown is something I'll have to get used to.

Atmosphere-wise, it is just so... surreal. When considering that absolutely nothing was really going on in ME2, it's just strange now that shit has actually started to hit the fan. That, and
it is definitely rather strange that fucking Udina and Turian Counselor are looking like decent (human) beings in comparison to everyone else right now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maybe it's just me...I'm still early, but I feel like there are fewer dialog choices. The game feels more like it has cutscenes with decisions instead of conversations. Just me?

Maybe it's just me...I'm still early, but I feel like there are fewer dialog choices. The game feels more like it has cutscenes with decisions instead of conversations. Just me?

Not just you. Game automates tons of cutscenes where there should be a decision for the player to make.

Bisnic

There is fewer choices overall, especially early. But you'll get plenty of chances to investigate like a good old Mass Effect game later.

Zen

Banned

I'm noticing that as well. It's weird because the flow of the dialogue still seems built around the obvious 'make a comment here at set intervals', but it's like they just said fuck it and didn't bother to record/write/program in the options.

I wonder if Bioware will even make RPGs in 5 years.

Zeliard

I'm noticing that as well. It's weird because the flow of the dialogue still seems built around the obvious 'make a comment here at set intervals', but it's like they just said fuck it and didn't bother to record/write/program in the options.

I think they did it to help certain conversations flow better, and it works to an extent, but I agree that sometimes Shep says certain things in a tone that are probably not what the player would have chosen.

He seems to lean Renegade with his default responses a lot. I imported a super-Renegade Shep so I dunno if that has something to do with it, or maybe I've just associated the voice with Renegade responses :p

GSR

I think they did it to help certain conversations flow better, and it works to an extent, but I agree that sometimes Shep says certain things in a tone that are probably not what the player would have chosen.

He seems to lean Renegade with his default responses a lot. I imported a super-Renegade Shep so I dunno if that has something to do with it, or maybe I've just associated the voice with Renegade responses :p

The autodialogue is colored by your alignment. For example, early in the game when
the Illusive Man talks to Shepard on Mars, a Paragon Shepard will respond to his "don't get in my way" with a sarcastic "duly noted", while a Renegade will tell him "go to hell!"

Trey

I wonder if Bioware will even make RPGs in 5 years.

Stuff like this makes me really question what an RPG really means to people relative to myself.

While the dialogue is generally more forced down a set path, the actual point where you make a choice and interact with characters is at its best in ME3. Poignant choices where there are divergent possibilities and consequences, which can range from subtle to egregious, are handled much more fluidly in this installment.

Zen

Banned

My character is such a believer in the establishment, so needless to say, her remarks during the opening, about the council, weren't in keeping with how I played her in the previous two games.

Stuff like this makes me really question what an RPG really means to people relative to myself.

While the dialogue is generally more forced down a set path, the actual point where you make a choice and interact with characters is at its best in ME3. Poignant choices where there are divergent possibilities and consequences, which can range from subtle to egregious, are handled much more fluidly in this installment.

That may be true, I haven't seen it, but you seem to have significantly less authorship over your character in ME3 compared to previous games. In the beginning Bioware said that RPGs were about choices and personalization of who you are playing, and they're stripping that away from the players in this game. The nuances of how your character behaves are just as important as the decisions you get to make.

This isn't even getting into the stats/choices debate that has raged since ME2 took things in a more reductive direction.

They'll probably be fully on into third person shooters by that point, with all pretenses of "role playing" being dropped.

I could see them attempting to emulate Bioshock style of games, but in third person.

What a shame.

Hey, cool! You can totally paramore
Jack
if you meet her at the Citadel later on in the game. Then, if you do, she sends you a message near the end that says
You better not die, cause when this is over, I'm getting laid!

Kudos to Bioware for turning Jack from a totally unlikeable character in ME2, to a character I actually WANTED to see more of in ME3. Amazing was an improved character design and some evidence of human compassion to balance out all the anger can do.

GSR

Also, I finished the sidequest with
Grunt
and chose to
save the Rachni Queen again.
Not sure how I felt about
Grunt surviving in the end; it would have been a good death for him.

Zeliard

The autodialogue is colored by your alignment. For example, early in the game when
the Illusive Man talks to Shepard on Mars, a Paragon Shepard will respond to his "don't get in my way" with a sarcastic "duly noted", while a Renegade will tell him "go to hell!"

Ah, interesting. I thought that may be the case but I didn't think Bioware would actually do it, haha. Not bad.

Also, I finished the sidequest with
Grunt
and chose to
save the Rachni Queen again.
Not sure how I felt about
Grunt surviving in the end; it would have been a good death for him.

I did the same and I totally agree. Would have been a perfect way to end it.

Bisnic

Considering ME3 has more RPG stuff than ME2, its funny seeing comments about future Bioware games being simple shooters, simply because there isnt as many dialogue choices.

Trey

These partial and vague spoilers are hilariously tempting.

"Hey, you can ____ while _______ if you do the ____________ at the ___________! So cool!"

Solo

Considering ME3 has more RPG stuff than ME2, its funny seeing comments about future Bioware games being simple shooters, simply because there isnt as many dialogue choices.

Dialogue options = choice, which is the most fundamental aspect of an RPG.

Sorry, I asked this on the last page but I'm really wondering: what's the general consensus on these N7 missions? I did one and I did not enjoy it at all. Can I skip them and still get my galactic readiness bar filled easily enough?

Bisnic

Dialogue options = choice, which is the most fundamental aspect of an RPG.

Despite having less options than previous games, there is still plenty of times were you are given options to respond or investigate. Its not like dialogue options only happen 10 times in the game and that's it.

Anyway, plenty of RPGs have no dialogue choices at all or barely any, doesnt make them less RPG because of it.

Nemesis_

Sorry, I asked this on the last page but I'm really wondering: what's the general consensus on these N7 missions? I did one and I did not enjoy it at all. Can I skip them and still get my galactic readiness bar filled easily enough?

If you don't like them I am pretty sure there are two others ways - playing the multiplayer or playing Mass Effect Infiltration for iOS. Though I played Infiltration for an hour and my readiness only went up by about 1-2%

JoeBoy101

Been playing the game and loving it so far. Big improvement over ME2. Had to mention the funniest moment so far: Garrus and Shepard taking time off at the Citadel.

My Name is Garrus Vakarian, and this is my favorite spot on the Citadel.

Fantastic.

As for the sad parts so far (ranked and, ironically, chronological):

1)
Hated Mordin dying, but he went out like a bawse.
2)
Thane dying was sad too, but given he was out of time anyways, it felt better. Still sad though, as Thane is awesome.
3)
Though you didn't really LOSE Legion, technically, still missed him.

Also, it makes me misty eyed when you see the names show up on the memorial board on the Normandy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

No, it's not the case. When you land on the Citadel and you meet Bailey, Shep goes, "Congratulations?" That's the first time I really felt like I was barely playing Mass Effect. That should have been an obvious dialog option. I feel like I have fewer options and fewer things to investigate when I do have options. Walking around the Citadel...there's so little to actually interact with. It's very dioramaish. Again, could just be me.

Top Bottom