• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVOLUTION is premiering 2024 on Netflix.

Draugoth

Gold Member
HE-MAN back in action against SCAREGLOW in the upcoming MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: REVOLUTION - premiering 2024, only on Netflix.

HE MAN VS. SCARE GLOW LIKE NEVER BEFORE. More news soon.This clip just dropped straight out of the DROP 01 Showcase - where He Man made an appearance alongside a squad of incredible Netflix animation icons. Masters of the Universe: Revolution will premiere 2024, only on Netflix.MOTU Revolution is a standalone, new series, loosely following the events of MOTU Revelation - in a war between He Man vs. Skeletor like never before. Feat. Chris Wood as He-Man alongside a star-studded cast.

SpiceRacz

F1fh_LYXwAg6FJr.jpg:large

No thanks.

Atrus

Gold Member
No thanks. The last one was so terrible I didn’t even bother with part 2.

Based on the trailer compared to what we got in the end, this is probably from the 1st episode before King Randor dies, his wife blames their son Adam for the death and Adam in turn abandons his throne and duties.

This leaves Eternia to be ruled by Queen Marlena, with Andra and Teela fighting against Skeletor. It then takes most of the series until Adam comes around and brings He-Man back into the fray only for everyone to realize that the women didn’t need He-Man at all and that the monarchy itself should be abolished.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just a reminder (apropos of nothing!) that you can find the Origins and Masterverse figures as well as the Blu-ray collection of the original cartoon all on Amazon, and they are all awesome.
Don't forget the doorstopper mini-comic collection, all that classic wacky weird gritty he-man action!

I'm with the crowd, if this cartoon is related to the Kev Smith universe, no thanks. Very little about that world resonated with me. If it is something new, then maybe, though that animated style ain't so great. But I don't like the idea of He-man transitioning back to Prince Adam in a serialized narrative. It worked in the cartoon because it was key to the empowerment of boys wanting to be MEN and those episodic shows never really explored how it worked. But it's like Shazam and Black Adam. Why would a kid EVER give up the Shazam body, BA never does! It's a hook to appeal to kids but this new MOTU stuff isn't really aimed at them.

Take He-man back to his primal, techno-apocalyptic pseudo psychadelic roots (essentially PRIMAL with ray guns), bump up the sexuality, lean in on the homoeroticism, and MAKE IT FUN!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Don't forget the doorstopper mini-comic collection, all that classic wacky weird gritty he-man action!

I'm with the crowd, if this cartoon is related to the Kev Smith universe, no thanks. Very little about that world resonated with me. If it is something new, then maybe, though that animated style ain't so great. But I don't like the idea of He-man transitioning back to Prince Adam in a serialized narrative. It worked in the cartoon because it was key to the empowerment of boys wanting to be MEN and those episodic shows never really explored how it worked. But it's like Shazam and Black Adam. Why would a kid EVER give up the Shazam body, BA never does! It's a hook to appeal to kids but this new MOTU stuff isn't really aimed at them.

Take He-man back to his primal, techno-apocalyptic pseudo psychadelic roots (essentially PRIMAL with ray guns), bump up the sexuality, lean in on the homoeroticism, and MAKE IT FUN!

I really liked the show... Second part was better than the first part. More action.

I get what Smith was trying to do with Revelation and, IMO, it worked well! I just hope they keep the action high in this new series.

I liked that they kept it both fun and serious ... Loved the upgrade for Orko!

Kacho

I really liked the show... Second part was better than the first part. More action.

I get what Smith was trying to do with Revelation and, IMO, it worked well! I just hope they keep the action high in this new series.

I liked that they kept it both fun and serious ... Loved the upgrade for Orko!
What was Smith trying to do exactly?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What was Smith trying to do exactly?

Carry on the LOOSE story from the original toon and give it some cohesion while carrying the story forward. Teela is the daughter of the Sorceress... That was known. Adam hated lying to everyone close to him that he's he-man.. Orko lacked self-confidence and he bungled a lot because of it ...

Teela's anger was handled badly, I'll give you that, but when it came to it, she got over herself eventually. And I understand being angry for being left out... Because I've been there. You don't think rationally... Your anger and low-key embarrassment take over your thinking.

I thought everything else was done well...

And who gets horny over a toon? The designs of the clothes for the women in the show shouldn't affect whether or not you enjoy the story... Unless you require ALL women in media to show their cleavage and wear gear that doesn't aid in combat. Wearing basically a swimsuit to combat is dumb. And I thought that back then too!

Kacho

Carry on the LOOSE story from the original toon and give it some cohesion while carrying the story forward. Teela is the daughter of the Sorceress... That was known. Adam hated lying to everyone close to him that he's he-man.. Orko lacked self-confidence and he bungled a lot because of it ...

Teela's anger was handled badly, I'll give you that, but when it came to it, she got over herself eventually. And I understand being angry for being left out... Because I've been there. You don't think rationally... Your anger and low-key embarrassment take over your thinking.

I thought everything else was done well...

And who gets horny over a toon? The designs of the clothes for the women in the show shouldn't affect whether or not you enjoy the story... Unless you require ALL women in media to show their cleavage and wear gear that doesn't aid in combat. Wearing basically a swimsuit to combat is dumb. And I thought that back then too!
I get that you enjoyed it but that doesn’t explain what Kevin Smith was going for. What was he going for?

Do you think fans of the 80s show wanted a show that focused on Teela and not He-Man? Judging by the response from people online I don’t think that’s the case. It’s strange that they would promote this as a show about He-Man, as we can see in the promotional footage for season 2, and then focus on a side character most don’t care about.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I get that you enjoyed it but that doesn’t explain what Kevin Smith was going for. What was he going for?

Do you think fans of the 80s show wanted a show that focused on Teela and not He-Man? Judging by the response from people online I don’t think that’s the case. It’s strange that they would promote this as a show about He-Man, as we can see in the promotional footage for season 2, and then focus on a side character most don’t care about.

The name of the show was Masters of the Universe. Not He-man and the Masters of the Universe. The background characters get the lions share of the screentime. He-Man isn't the focus. The background characters were almost always the highlight of the old toon. Orko, Man at Arms (Duncan), the parents, Teela, Sorceress, Trapjaw, etc were always more interesting than Adam/He-Man. Shoot, He-Man wasn't the main character in his own show .. he was a Deus Ex Machina, a MacGuffin.

I'm almost 50... I watched all the episodes of the original toon. This follows the original loose storylines... It carries the story forward.

Kacho

The name of the show was Masters of the Universe. Not He-man and the Masters of the Universe. The background characters get the lions share of the screentime. He-Man isn't the focus. The background characters were almost always the highlight of the old toon. Orko, Man at Arms (Duncan), the parents, Teela, Sorceress, Trapjaw, etc were always more interesting than Adam/He-Man. Shoot, He-Man wasn't the main character in his own show .. he was a Deus Ex Machina, a MacGuffin.

I'm almost 50... I watched all the episodes of the original toon. This follows the original loose storylines... It carries the story forward.
It’s safe to say focusing on supporting characters and not He-Man was a mistake if that’s what Smith was going for. Netflix promoted the show with He-Man as the focus so they clearly know what people want. Kids watched the show in the 80s so they could yell, “I HAVE THE POWER!” once per episode. That’s all there was to it. He-Man was a product of its time. The lore was never deep or important. It was a stupid cartoon lol.

The 2003 reboot was a much better show and gave people what they wanted. Shame the Netflix version couldn’t deliver.

Every thread ... No matter what... It's negative city.
No, just the threads about media where they screw with existing characters and lore in order to push a message. I never saw a lot of negativity in The One Piece thread, or the Castlevania thread, or even the first season of The Witcher thread. Sidelining he-man isn't what most fans wanted, and being lied to is absolutely not what most fans wanted. Simple as that.

CosmicComet

Just because you are a simp for modern western media and the stupid subversive practices there within doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

I don't watch A Masters of the universe show to watch a background character usurp the main character's spot.

2003 Reboot was infinitely better than Silent Bob's trash version.

Last edited:
No thanks. Who wants to see another Kevin Smith 💩 ?
But it so nice to see most people (except the usual users) refusing to be fooled by another bait and switch of crying Kevin.

No, just the threads about media where they screw with existing characters and lore in order to push a message. I never saw a lot of negativity in The One Piece thread, or the Castlevania thread, or even the first season of The Witcher thread. Sidelining he-man isn't what most fans wanted, and being lied to is absolutely not what most fans wanted. Simple as that.

Just because you are a simp for modern western media and the stupid subversive practices there within doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

This feels like the opposite of what I disliked about DT's original comment in the first place. He's not a "simp" just because he likes reboots with progressive values, just as we're not "dinosaurs" or whatever if we don't like that sort of thing. We can treat it like a preference, and not insult those who disagree.

I don't even mind changes being made to media a lot of the time if the writer or director acknowledges their intentions and they're honest and respectful from the start, and if the story is well written. It's an old example, but I was really looking forward to the all female ghostbusters movie up until the trailer was actively unfunny.

Or to use a gaming example, when the Battlefield V director could have just said "we're going for a fictional version of WW2 and not everything is going to be accurate, but it's done in the service of gameplay and entertainment." Instead we got "my daughter wanted to fly a helicopter, and there were women in WW2 so this is accurate, and if people have an issue with any of this it's not okay!" or whatever it was exactly that he said.

People need to learn to make the art they want to make without insulting everyone who disagrees.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

I don't even mind changes being made to media a lot of the time if the writer or director acknowledges their intentions and they're honest and respectful from the start, and if the story is well written. It's an old example, but I was really looking forward to the all female ghostbusters movie up until the trailer was actively unfunny.

Or to use a gaming example, when the Battlefield V director could have just said "we're going for a fictional version of WW2 and not everything is going to be accurate, but it's done in the service of gameplay and entertainment." Instead we got "my daughter wanted to fly a helicopter, and there were women in WW2 so this is accurate, and if people have an issue with any of this it's not okay!" or whatever it was exactly that he said.

People need to learn to make the art they want to make without insulting everyone who disagrees.
I dont particularly care about your moderate take here because its overly charitable and doesn't apply going by your own examples.

I.e. Kevin Smith actively lied to fans leading up to the release and insulted viewers for any displeasure they showed once it released and he paid for it in the end.

He deserves to be dumped on.

Doom85

I dont particularly care about your moderate take here because its overly charitable and doesn't apply going by your own examples.

I.e. Kevin Smith actively lied to fans leading up to the release and insulted viewers for any displeasure they showed once it released and he paid for it in the end.

If you think Kevin Smith deserves to be “dumped on”, sure, let your rage on.

But don’t try to justify insulting someone over liking a fucking fictional story. DT is not Kevin Smith, so bringing up Kevin Smith’s actions is entirely irrelevant. If anything, that means you deserve to be treated like Smith if you lower yourself to his level.

At the end of the day, it’s all silly magic bullshit fairy tale of an IP that was built on an old cartoon focused on getting us to buy merchandise when we were stupid kids. People insulting each other over fiction is stupid, people insulting each other over THIS need to step away from the Internet for a bit and breathe.

Right, Kevin Smith deserves to be dumped on for lying to fans and insulting people who didn't agree with his modern take on He Man. But DeafTourette doesn't deserve to be dumped on just because Keven Smith made something he ended up enjoying. That's all I'm saying. He's not wrong for his opinion, and you're not wrong for yours (or in this case ours).

Shouta

Part 1 of Revelations got better towards the end but its overall handling of Teela was pretty abrasive. It smoothed out by the end but asking a viewer to watch a bunch of episodes before an improvement is a tough sale in most cases. What it tries to do is really good despite some of the rough parts.

I didn't watch part 2 though since it was a number of months after part 1 and I was busy with other stuff. I might need to check it out now that Revolution is coming.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
So this is a sequel to Revelations which is a sequel to the original series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe? How is the rebooted 3 season version of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe on Netflix, is it worth watching?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just watched the first episode of this, and I couldn't even get through the first episode of Revelations.

Aside from some eye-rolling lines from Smith stolen from other movies "When you have the tech you have the talent!" and Skeletor basically ruling the Borg, it has WILLIAM FUCKING SHATNER voicing Randor's long lost brother who shows up to claim the throne after Randor dies.

Hamill's Skeletor sucks and I can't stand it. Sounds like a raspy Joker.

Top Bottom