• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: Horizon: Forbidden West was one of the US market's top 10 best-selling games during the week ending March 23rd

I didn’t know they tracked Steam sales.
They've been doing it for quite some time. Here's a recent example with their YTD (Jan + Feb) top 20 games.

GJMlKCwW8AAePDE

leo-j

nice it probably did some 50k plus sales week 1 in the US, Sony lost a lot of sales when the game went to ps plus on consoles.

Mr Hyde

Horizon Forbidden West is a great sequel. It expands on the original game in the best possible way, with new gadgets, weapons and robot dinosaurs to fight. Combat and exploring the world is really fun. It also looks fucking great. One of the best looking games out now. A true next gen showcase.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
But someone on Gaf yesterday literally said:

"I hate to break it to you but PS Studios aren't exactly setting the world on fire currently."

Who do I believe...

:pie_thinking:

I think Resident Evil 2, 4, 7, and 8 have all sold less than 3.5 million copies each on PC.

You don't have those same GAF members calling the Resident Evil franchise overrated. lol

Seems like certain GAF members are looking for an opportunity to talk shit about PlayStation games.

Started up the game for the first time yesterday and have everything cranked up to Ultra.

WOW is all i can say. This looks absolutely incredible and I'm having a lot of fun playing it.

Can't imagine how good Death Stranding 2 is going to look in game.

Man I kinda wanna get it just to see how good it looks but the first game was aggressively boring.

Have it on my ultra wide PC and holy shit you're in for a treat. I found the first one a bit boring as well. This one (so far) I'm enjoying playing through but yeah its a visual treat. So much detail on screen and the character models are the best I've seen so far.

Last edited:
I think Resident Evil 2, 4, 7, and 8 have all sold less than 3.5 million copies each on PC.

You don't have those same GAF members calling the Resident Evil franchise overrated. lol

Seems like certain GAF members are looking for an opportunity to talk shit about PlayStation games.
It's not unusual for a Capcom game to sell better on PC these days than console, that's why they recently switched their lead platform to be PC.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Man I kinda wanna get it just to see how good it looks but the first game was aggressively boring.
Yep, I will buy it when it goes on deep deep sale, because I have no interest in actually playing the game, kinda like a lot of the Assasins Creed games.

Boss Mog

Most people probably didn't even know it was out. It's not like they advertise Steam releases that much.

The franchise is in trouble though, the one thing that truly shined was Lance Reddick's performance as Sylens, the only interesting character. Now that he's sadly left us, I'm not sure what could motivate me to play a 3rd game.

Nice to hear, especially considering it was going up against Dragon's Dogma 2 on the same day. So it's probably sold around ~200-300K considering Steam and Epic. At $70, that's a decent chunk of change right there already. Considering we know these ports cost them somewhere ~$2M to produce.. this is easy money for them.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wasn’t there a thread suggesting HFW wasn’t selling on PC just recently?
This means those folks are wrong. Or maybe they want to create a narrative that it wasn’t selling well for one reason or another

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's not unusual for a Capcom game to sell better on PC these days than console, that's why they recently switched their lead platform to be PC.
Resident Evil games often sell better on PlayStation whereas games like Monster Hunter are either very close or surpass sales on PlayStation.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You can argue about the game all you want (I, for one, liked it very much even during my PS5 playthrough), but PC port is just splendid. Second game after CP2077 with PT that gave me the feeling that 4080 upgrade wasn’t a complete waste. And it runs equally great on my wife’s 1080p machine with 3060 without any tweaks.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Started up the game for the first time yesterday and have everything cranked up to Ultra.

WOW is all i can say. This looks absolutely incredible and I'm having a lot of fun playing it.

Can't imagine how good Death Stranding 2 is going to look in game.

Have it on my ultra wide PC and holy shit you're in for a treat. I found the first one a bit boring as well. This one (so far) I'm enjoying playing through but yeah its a visual treat. So much detail on screen and the character models are the best I've seen so far.
Been playing it for 25 or so hour on a living room PC and it’s very likely the best looking game I’ve seen on my TV. The water areas and lush forrests and the punchy colors. It’s just a feast for the eyes. I bet playing on a ultrawide is even better.
Can’t wait for mods though! Only reshades so far.

Tomi

Nice to hear, especially considering it was going up against Dragon's Dogma 2 on the same day. So it's probably sold around ~200-300K considering Steam and Epic. At $70, that's a decent chunk of change right there already. Considering we know these ports cost them somewhere ~$2M to produce.. this is easy money for them.
I dont know how much money they get from one copy sold but if it's around 20$ from 60$ then they earned over 6 million $ , so it's more than 4 million $ profit after few days
That is great number indeed

Last edited:
I'm glad the PC folks are enjoying it - still one of my favourite games in recent years, the final act is very cinematic in terms of storytelling and scale, and the game is a visual joy to look at. I cannot wait for the third game!

You can argue about the game all you want (I, for one, liked it very much even during my PS5 playthrough), but PC port is just splendid. Second game after CP2077 with PT that gave me the feeling that 4080 upgrade wasn’t a complete waste. And it runs equally great on my wife’s 1080p machine with 3060 without any tweaks.
Most Nixxes ports so far have been great. One of Sony's best acquisitions for sure.

I dont know how much money they get from one copy sold but if it's around 20$ from 60$ then they earned over 6 million $ , so it's more than 4 million $ profit after few days
That is great number indeed
They get 70%. So lets say 220K copies sold so far. That's 220K x $70 = $15.4M x .7 = $10.78M

Which would make it about $8M profit already from Steam alone. Any sales they've made from EGS they'd get 88%.. but let's keep it simple with just Steam. One thing about their "full price" model is it allows them to put on sales to more reasonable prices while still making good money from the game.

If this game follows the first games trajectory and sells over 3M lifetime on PC.. and if we figure the first 500K copies are sold at $70, then the next 1M copies at $49 (30% off), then the last 1.5M copies are sold at $35 (50% off) then they will have made ~
(again, let's just assume it's a straight 70/30 rev split even though we know after the first $50M in sales steam takes less)

500K x 70 = $35M x .7 = $24.5M
1M x 49 = $49M x .7 = $34.3M
1.5M x 35 = $52.5 x .7 = $36.75M
24.5M + 34.3M + 36.75M = $95.55M

So ~$100M made from something that cost them $2M to make. This is why these ports will continue to happen lmao.. the ROI over time is crazy good. If they move the dates up, they stand to make a lot more.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Congrats to Sony for yet another successful release on PC platform.

DrFigs

Some people are going to get upset that you said this, even though Capcom confirmed both of these things already.
because it's not true

edit: my bad it could be true. for some reason i was just thinking of Resident Evil games.

Last edited:
'One of'?

IDK what people expected in the first week. They know what really matters is legs and this game don't have reputation to do so.

Very few games have legs. Videogames are always front loaded. It is why they push pre orders. Getting those €70 sales is preferred to €7.99 Steam sales in 5 years.

K' Dash

Bu bu but concurrent Steam users! Aloy is horrible! Sweet Baby Inc!!!
The fact that it sells won’t make it a good game.

I bought it thinking it was haters talking the game down and, to my surprise, it was a pile of burning trash.

Fake

Very few games have legs. Videogames are always front loaded. It is why they push pre orders. Getting those €70 sales is preferred to €7.99 Steam sales in 5 years.

Thats 'why' being the number one of the week is different from 'one of the US top 10 of the week'.

Most people probably didn't even know it was out. It's not like they advertise Steam releases that much.

The franchise is in trouble though, the one thing that truly shined was Lance Reddick's performance as Sylens, the only interesting character. Now that he's sadly left us, I'm not sure what could motivate me to play a 3rd game.

How is the franchise in trouble? It's one of Sony's top performing franchises when did it fall into trouble?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not a Sony doomer and I want their games to do well on PC but if that’s the lower end of the top 10 it might not be a whole lot of revenue.

I think it’s all worth it for Sony either way as I’ve been saying for years I believe their plan is a PS Store on PC.

Top Bottom