• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: No issues with Perfect Dark development

giphy.gif

EDMIX

The deep, deep lolz.

I don't think shit he says matters. If they had issues, I'm doubtful they would confirm it before launch. This is one of those PR things where they'll only tell you after the team is closed down or they decide to not do a sequel or something like that, but its hard to take seriously comments like this as most publishers rarely ever state such issues anyway.

So...if there is an issue, I don't think they'd be the ones to really say so, its more of a leak, insider etc type deal with situations like this, so the PR comment is moot. Thats like EA telling us BF 2042 is ahead of schedule, is doing fine etc. They won't say "covid as effected development" they save that talk AFTER launch lol

Be like "woooow told you we was struggling bro, C-19 and all bruv"

DaGwaphics

I liked GoTG quite a bit, hopefully the final result is something that matches or exceeds that level of quality. I wonder how long it will be before we get to see it.

Matt-Booty: The one man at Xbox that the Sony faithful dislike more than Phil Spencer. I guess that means he is doing something right. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Matt Booty is the second-worst gaming CEO in the business, right behind Andrew Wilson at EA. I don't take anything he says at face value after Halo Infinite's mismanagement.

Edit: I was going to make a joke about Starfield's delay, but XGS has no say in what Bethesda does.

Last edited:
They are having issues because they announced the initiative like 4 years ago and we still haven’t seen any gameplay and they needed significant secondary studio help
It took Sony Santa Monica 4 years to produce a sequel to God of War 2018. You're saying that a studio that had to be put together from scratch and chose a dormant IP to revive/reboot for modern audiences should have been able to produce a game in less time? Nice logic.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It took Sony Santa Monica 4 years to produce a sequel to God of War 2018. You're saying that a studio that had to be put together from scratch and chose a dormant IP to revive/reboot for modern audiences should have been able to produce a game in less time? Nice logic.

It is nice logic if you had reading comprehension.

I never said that the game should ship in 4 years, but certainly I'd want to have some kind of trailer that showcases something more tangible than a CGI teaser. Absent any kind of tangible information whatsoever about the game, the only safe assumption is that they're going through some issues.

Does that mean the project is in development hell? Not necessarily, but it certainly hasn't been smooth sailing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It took Kojima 4 years to start a studio from scratch without an office without an engine without any developers starting from literally nothing and he still released a game in less than 4 years.

If you can’t even show any progress in 4 years, there is trouble. Ssm showed gow 2 years in dev. Their previous game had been in dev for 4 years without any gameplay footage and guess what it was in development hell and was canceled.

MarkMe2525

It is nice logic if you had reading comprehension.

I never said that the game should ship in 4 years, but certainly I'd want to have some kind of trailer that showcases something more tangible than a CGI teaser. Absent any kind of tangible information whatsoever about the game, the only safe assumption is that they're going through some issues.

Does that mean the project is in development hell? Not necessarily, but it certainly hasn't been smooth sailing.
I don't believe "smooth sailing" is a term that anyone would use to describe AAA game development.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't believe "smooth sailing" is a term that anyone would use to describe AAA game development.

Eh, there are plenty of AAA games that are relatively smooth sailing. I mean, it's always going to have ups and downs. But getting something out in 3-5 years that's compelling is par for the course. Certainly you'd need to SHOW something tangible within 3 years.

What has happened under Matt Booty's watch has been nothing short of the most disastrous mismanagement I've ever seen from such a big company with so many resources and such a vested effort in the gaming space. He should have been fired years ago.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Eh, there are plenty of AAA games that are relatively smooth sailing. I mean, it's always going to have ups and downs. But getting something out in 3-5 years that's compelling is par for the course. Certainly you'd need to SHOW something tangible within 3 years.

What has happened under Matt Booty's watch has been nothing short of the most disastrous mismanagement I've ever seen from such a big company with so many resources and such a vested effort in the gaming space. He should have been fired years ago.
Ill reserve judgement on this Matt Booty guy until I can play some of the games he is promising, whenever that is. I honestly don't know much about that guy.

From every account I have come across, AAA development is one of the hardest things a company can do, it's a shit show until everyone is having a mental breakdown and it finally comes together right before the finish line. It's just semantics, but I'll double down on "smooth sailing" not being a good descriptor for any AAA game development cycle.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well said. Phil takes all the criticism but Booty is equally responsible if not more. As someone who went out and bought an x1 day one because of Don Matrick's launch and year 1 lineup, i have been disappointed by Booty's first party efforts ever since finishing Sunset in 2014. It's either been middling or atrocious or simply absent. there were several years where they didnt release any AAA games. 2022 isnt the first year. 2020 and 2018 or 2017 were devoid of any AAA releases from their first party studios.

It's been 9 fucking years. I went out and bought an x1x. I have had the PC gamepass sub for a good portion of the last two years. I am just struggling to see how this guy who has produced so little continues to escape any criticism or accountability. The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting things to change. Why is Phil sticking with this guy. It's been 9 years since he took over. Phil had given him 5 new studios even before the zenimax announcement. wtf did he do with them? Why was Bleeding Edge allowed to ship? Cancel that shit and have NT work on Hellblade 2 asap for a release within the first year of release. they revealed it with the xsx and literally 3 years later we dont even have a release date?

I have no idea how a first party head can go to an interview and proudly say that he couldnt organically grow his new studio over the last 4 years so he had to go rent an outside studio for help. That is literally his only job. To fucking staff the studio he is incharge of staffing.

They revealed avowed, fable, state of decay, perfect dark over 2 years ago. i cannot believe they dont even have gameplay 2 years later. what were you revealing? a title? if these games are taking forever to make why was forza horizon greenlit in 2018 AFTER project scarlet had already been announced. did he not know that he was releasing a console 2 years later without any exclusives?

Phil needs to bring in some new blood. These old company men arent doing it. Go and steal Ted Price from Insomniac and give him the job of leading MS studios. Hes the most productive studio head over at Sony. he's clearly doing something right.

What a laughable thing to say.
Indeed. It was laughable that he said that. Lol….care to explain why it’s laughable?
He stated “ I read online 'there is a problem' or something, and it's actually quite the opposite”.
Why are you responding to some random shit you read online, shit is suspect. Paint it however you want, but to me this clearly means he is worried about it 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Personally, I think this game is either going to be balls to the wall good shit, or some limp dick, paint by numbers, buggy turd.

I think about all the talent, unlimited budget, and awesome potential the PD IP offers...but then I think about Crackdown 3...I think about 343i, and how Infinite is about 20% complete after 84 fucking years. Is the Initiative the next 343i or are they the next Playground? I mean, if Crystal Dynamics is doing the heavy dev lifting, I feel like it will probably be solid, mechanically. Being an Unreal Engine game and not Foundation Engine gig gives me pause there too though.

I dunno, but if we don't see some actual gameplay soon, like Video Game Awards soon, I'm going to lean towards that Booty being full of shit.

solidus12

Feels like the Covid excuse only applies to Microsoft Game Studios' games; indeed, we don't hear that excuse when it comes to PlayStation or Nintendo.

element

I think the issue is more of a lack of clarity on what exactly The Initiative is, as when they announced its creation they were marketing it as a AAAA studio to be Microsoft version of Santa Monica Studios or something. But the more we hear about it, it sounds more like a think tank or a pre-production team, where the real development is handed off to a totally different team.

ZehDon

Indeed. It was laughable that he said that. Lol….care to explain why it’s laughable?
He stated “ I read online 'there is a problem' or something, and it's actually quite the opposite”.
Why are you responding to some random shit you read online, shit is suspect. Paint it however you want, but to me this clearly means he is worried about it 🤷‍♂️.
Your post is laughable because respond or not, nothing he said would've been enough to indicate there isn't a problem to someone with your attitude. Hence, your post is laughable.

Why is he responding? You mean, other than being his literal job, that his statement was part of a response to a larger question, and he used the online discourse as an example of where online people get it wrong due to the way games development has changed? Do you even understand the thread your posting in?

Your post is laughable because respond or not, nothing he said would've been enough to indicate there isn't a problem to someone with your attitude. Hence, your post is laughable.

Why is he responding? You mean, other than being his literal job, that his statement was part of a response to a larger question, and he used the online discourse as an example of where online people get it wrong due to the way games development has changed? Do you even understand the thread your posting in?
Responding to Twitter posts is no one’s job, stop it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Well said.

That being said, my original gif still stands. I don't think PD is anywhere near a presentable state right now.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Feels like the Covid excuse only applies to Microsoft Game Studios' games; indeed, we don't hear that excuse when it comes to PlayStation or Nintendo.
What about every other game that got delayed this year? (Feels like 99% of them) and every week we get more delay announcements.

Or why Ragnarok didn't release in '21 like announced.

It seems to me that games that were far along pre covid got delayed into this year, and games that were early got delayed to next.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So if the idea of a single team making a game in-house doesn't work anymore, why are all the other XGS Studios not taking the same approach as The Initiative and co-developing it with an external AAA studio?

Top Bottom