• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: No issues with Perfect Dark development

dottme

I think this only means the game isn’t cancel. But I don’t think we can deduce everything is going fine or not from this kind of tweets.
It’s just there to try to keep the fanbase interested.

Last edited:
So if the idea of a single team making a game in-house doesn't work anymore, why are all the other XGS Studios not taking the same approach as The Initiative and co-developing it with an external AAA studio?
You are aware that these days no single developer besides indie devs can ship a blockbuster triple A game without outsourcing right? Cause all the Sony studios do as well if you look in the credits.

Menzies

Banned
I must admit Booty hasn't been impressive since taking on the role from Spencer. The guy isn't great at PR.

Microsoft should have been transparent when the reports of all the staff at the Initiative left. Maybe they had a massive rethink in what that 'studio' does or does not do. Maybe their role is now concept design and then they partner with other studios(?)

Robb

Gold Member
Good news, if true. Looking forward to seeing what they’ve come up with.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
pokeball GIF

CamHostage

Tqxnb8G.png

Also, this notion that the veteran, AAA team at Crystal Dynamics was just "available"... really?

The company owned by then-Square Enix / soon-Embracer, shepherds of the massive Tomb Raider franchise (which they later announced a brand new game in the series,) the developers of the massive (and massively troubled) GAAS Marvel's Avengers, Crystal Dynamics just had nothing better to do other than make themselves available to take a work-for-hire job with an external publisher and build their first FPS since Project Snowblind with a company who spent four years making design docs and a CG trailer?

I mean, I wish everybody well and I hope PD is great, but Microsoft acting like everything about this project is business as usual and lolling at the reports of trouble (when it can be documented how many lead staff has left over its project timeline, whether or not you believe the "insider info" that there were negative reasons for the departures instead of just normal talent in&out drift...), that's a hard sell.

The Initiative is an unusual studio setup, however, and hopefully it results in an unusually good game... somehow.

Last edited:

KWAB

Banned
You are aware that these days no single developer besides indie devs can ship a blockbuster triple A game without outsourcing right? Cause all the Sony studios do as well if you look in the credits.
Sure I look at the credits and I think to myself: who the fuck are those guys? Let's not play dumb, you don't call Crystal Dynamics for simple outsourcing something else is going on here.

Outside of the very poor job I think successive heads of Xbox studios (and other name variations have done), I think Booty has been very poor so far. You don’t have that many leads leave a studio, then announce a partnership with another studio to co-develop if things are going well.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Of all the upcoming xbox first party titles, perfect dark, everwild, and fable to a lesser extent are my only real concerns.

Primarily perfect dark though
considering how many changes it got Avowed looks to be in trouble too , these projects might turn out good but atm it looks like they cant decide what kind of game they want to make

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Outsourcing, yes. I totally agree.

But this is not outsourcing. This is co-development.

GymWolf

It took Kojima 4 years to start a studio from scratch without an office without an engine without any developers starting from literally nothing and he still released a game in less than 4 years.

If you can’t even show any progress in 4 years, there is trouble. Ssm showed gow 2 years in dev. Their previous game had been in dev for 4 years without any gameplay footage and guess what it was in development hell and was canceled.
Kinda yeah, if after 4 years you have nothing to show, the game better be a super project ala rdr2 that didn't showed anything before like 5-6 years of development.

Last edited:
Outsourcing, yes. I totally agree.

But this is not outsourcing. This is co-development.
So according to you all those other 2000 people Sony brings on to work on the last of us 2 are just there to look at naughty dog? The only difference is some of those developers are not mainstream devs they support devs. They do the same thing. It’s just that the head of the initiative actually ran crystal dynamics and probably had familiarity of what they wanted to do it’s no different. This idea that this is a Microsoft thing is disingenuous. Only difference is Microsoft speaks about it upfront and Sony doesn’t. Just like the cross gen stuff when Microsoft said it before the gen started everyone ragged on them. Sony pretty did it and was just forced to say it after the gen started cause they’re more savvy and cutthroat when it comes to how they do business. They withhold and hide their hand till it’s absolutely necessary or it’s forced.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I dunno about this one. Game could be cool, sure, but even then the original game was so great and iconic that I can imagine the new one having a hard time meeting expectations.

Great level design, mission objective oriented gameplay, good shooting, tons of different and inventive guns (like the Farsight or the Laptop gun), the amazing OST, the multiplayer, the side activities in the Carrington Institute...

They should take their time.

Last edited:
If you don't understand yet that a CG teaser means they are just entering pre-production, recruiting talent, and the game likely isn't coming for another 5 years, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm excited for college football. I'm a Oklahoma Sooner and our new quarterback's name is General Booty.

He even has his own clothing line.

jpMW8bW.jpg
eqHr11B.jpg

General Booty also says Perfect Dark's development is going swimmingly.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It is nice logic if you had reading comprehension.

I never said that the game should ship in 4 years, but certainly I'd want to have some kind of trailer that showcases something more tangible than a CGI teaser. Absent any kind of tangible information whatsoever about the game, the only safe assumption is that they're going through some issues.

Does that mean the project is in development hell? Not necessarily, but it certainly hasn't been smooth sailing.

The real problem is they just revealed it way too early. But it’s almost hard to blame them for that when it would’ve just leaked anyway with hundreds of people working on it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Matt Booty is the second-worst gaming CEO in the business, right behind Andrew Wilson at EA. I don't take anything he says at face value after Halo Infinite's mismanagement.

Edit: I was going to make a joke about Starfield's delay, but XGS has no say in what Bethesda does.
You mean you didn't want to sound even more misinformed that you already do? Lol

I understand.

CamHostage

So according to you all those other 2000 people Sony brings on to work on the last of us 2 are just there to look at naughty dog? The only difference is some of those developers are not mainstream devs they support devs. They do the same thing.

Ha, no. There are many differences... chief among them, these people don't have a day job making two of the most important IP for the parent company who owns them and depends upon their product line.

Those 2000 people were hired to do the gruntwork needed when a project is filling out its production, generally from studios specifically established to do this work (including sound studios and tech art production houses.) One Pixel Brush and Visual Dart and Redhot CG are not Crystal Dynamics.

I get it, the doom-and-gloom is in contrast to the fact that most games have production situations which look chaotic from the outside (and often are chaotic at heart) yet the final product can still turn out amazing. Say that, if you're going to say anything. Be optimistic that this will work out, or that The Initiative will sill prove itself as a business model once the project is actually done and it's clear what worked and didn't work about their first production. Don't get into BS about false equivalencies or console favoritism/persecution complex. This is an abnormal development cycle (by design, actually, thus the name, "The Initiative",) and it has yet to be proven how successful it can be at creating a product. When there is a game, there will be other things to talk about besides the production methods and insider stories, but we are here with what we have right now. So far, 4 years, 1 teaser, many departures, no game.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'll wait and see. They literally have only shown a teaser trailer and everybody's got opinions now based on a rumor. Calm down.

Ha, no. There are many differences... chief among them, these people don't have a day job making two of the most important IP for the parent company who owns them and depends upon their product line.

Those 2000 people were hired to do the gruntwork needed when a project is filling out its production, generally from studios specifically established to do this work (including sound studios and tech art production houses.) One Pixel Brush and Visual Dart and Redhot CG are not Crystal Dynamics.

I get it, the doom-and-gloom is in contrast to the fact that most games have production situations which look chaotic from the outside (and often are chaotic at heart) yet the final product can still turn out amazing. Say that, if you're going to say anything. Be optimistic that this will work out, or that The Initiative will sill prove itself as a business model once the project is actually done and it's clear what worked and didn't work about their first production. Don't get into BS about false equivalencies or console favoritism/persecution complex. This is an abnormal development cycle (by design, actually, thus the name, "The Initiative",) and it has yet to be proven how successful it can be at creating a product. When there is a game, there will be other things to talk about besides the production methods and insider stories, but we are here with what we have right now. So far, 4 years, 1 teaser, many departures, no game.
It’s no different then what Microsoft is doing their only detriment is that they’re very straightforward about it maybe a little too transparent at times which is something their competitors don’t do at all. Sony flat out doesn’t tell the consumer nothing until they have to they mislead their consumers all the time. They flat out lied when they talked about believing in generations knowing full well they were doing cross gen with all their games except for a few. We have to just filter this stuff more accurately I mean I’m pretty sure he’s not lying about the state of perfect dark.

Leyasu

Banned
So if the idea of a single team making a game in-house doesn't work anymore, why are all the other XGS Studios not taking the same approach as The Initiative and co-developing it with an external AAA studio?
They are a studio getting built from the ground up.

Perhaps, they used an external studio so to help make this game, which would also give them a few years to staff up for their next game.

Sound plausible?

CamHostage

It’s no different then what Microsoft is doing their only detriment is that they’re very straightforward about it maybe a little too transparent at times which is something their competitors don’t do at all. Sony flat out doesn’t tell the consumer nothing until they have to they mislead their consumers all the time. They flat out lied when they talked about believing in generations knowing full well they were doing cross gen with all their games except for a few. We have to just filter this stuff more accurately I mean I’m pretty sure he’s not lying about the state of perfect dark.

No, the Perfect Dark development situation is super fucking different.

Whatever you have in your head about the crucifixion of Xbox by the opulent PlayStation fanbase, it has no place in this conversation about a game developer losing most of its core leadership staff 4 years into development and then hiring a working, very-busy external studio owned by a second corporation to do some (all?) of the work left of making the game. You're talking to somebody who has neither of the two current consoles, has owned past-gen consoles of both companies (and others,) and has no interest in the console wars outside of great games and technology leaps spurred on from the rivalry of competition. So don't try to change the subject because you think you and your people are unfairly criticized. Get some perspective.

And BTW, since you seem to believe Sony skates scot free in gamers' minds, you might remember one of the more recent times where a big-time game developer making a franchise lost its top leader: I'm thinking of when Sony's Naughty Dog studio changed its top brass on Uncharted 4 and Amy Henning was out of her job as Creative Director. A lot of things happened when that went down, but I'll tell you two things that did not happen: Sony and its PlayStation brand were not handed a get-out-of-jail card by the press or the fanbase for this situation, and Naughty Dog didn't hire Crystal freaking Dynamics to make part or all of their game for them.

Last edited:

oldergamer

What are you talking about? Most xgs studios are working with other teams or outside help depending on the size of the game

Top Bottom