• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McConnell Will Force Health Care Vote Next Week

Ponn

Banned
I wonder if this is the end goal, keep bouncing back and forth to appear to be doing something?

In the meantime ACA continues to crumble (because they sabotaged it) and they can continue to blame Obama and the Dems for that. I've been saying for awhile it seems like their only viable game plan that keeps them from being accountable.

How the hell do we fight against this? I'm trying so hard not to give in to defeatism, but it doesn't seem like there's anything we can do.

All we can do is keep calling, keep protesting, keep making their lives a living hell so that they realize they won't comfortably keep their seats if they go along with it. And then follow up on it if they do.

In the meantime ACA continues to crumble (because they sabotaged it) and they can continue to blame Obama and the Dems for that. I've been saying for awhile it seems like their only viable game plan that keeps them from being accountable.

Polls have consistently shown that if ACA fails, voters will blame the GOP. So if they're trying to sabotage it to prove a point, it's not really going to work.

KingV

Clearly they don't give a fuck.

No, like they literally can't do it without the score. Unless he wants to bring it up under regular order in which case it is subject to a filibuster.

If he wants to use the reconciliation rules it HAS to have a CBO score showing it saves money

The ACA is more popular now than it ever has been. If that's their plan, they are not doing a good job

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I think he wants it to fail. Best way to ensure that "they tried" and that the most amount of Senators get to keep their seats in 2018 and 2020.

He probably knows the House is a lost cause anyway and just wants to keep some GOP power in Congress.

No, like they literally can't do it without the score. Unless he wants to bring it up under regular order in which case it is subject to a filibuster.

If he wants to use the reconciliation rules it HAS to have a CBO score showing it saves money

Addressed in the article, he is sending it to the CBO in bits and pieces, which you can do apparently

Ponn

Banned
Polls have consistently shown that if ACA fails, voters will blame the GOP. So if they're trying to sabotage it to prove a point, it's not really going to work.

I'll believe the voters who have been voting them in for 8 years will blame them when i see them actually voting against them.. If they pass a shitty health care bill that knocks millions off of insurance and raises prices for everyone else they have no choice but to own that shit. They are still blaming ACA on Obama and the Dem's and as far as ive seen in news and social media their base is still buying it and have the memories of goldfish come election time. Rubio sabotaged it BEFORE the elections last year and look what happened.

The ACA is more popular now than it ever has been. If that's their plan, they are not doing a good job

I don't get what you mean. They have sabotaged it, insurance companies are leaving the marketplace because they aren't sure if they are going to get paid, its not in great shape but yea people are still depending on it. The GOP is still going to rail on it though because of the state it is in because of their own dirty work so yea, they would be getting it both ways.

Bakercat

I fucking hate McConnell so much. He does nothing but make my state poor and dysfunctional with his backward ass policys. I always have and will vote against this idiot, but somehow he's always voted back in. With regards to the bill, either way next week, something will die, the bill or potentially millions of Americans.

We are not "All Republicans" now, and never will be. Still can't believe they tried to unify with that recently, but I'm glad people saw through it and rejected it.

I don't get what you mean. They have sabotaged it, insurance companies are leaving the marketplace because they aren't sure if they are going to get paid, its not in great shape but yea people are still depending on it. The GOP is still going to rail on it though because of the state it is in because of their own dirty work so yea, they would be getting it both ways.

I mean exactly what I said, the approval ratings for the ACA have skyrocketed since they started the repeal and replace process. If their plan was to make it more unpopular they are failing. The House bill has a 17% approval rating. The rest of what you say is true, but that besides the point I was making.

Can't wait to see the slew of articles about how upset Trump voters are as they start to die off, while a few of my friends who voted against this die from being kicked off health care.

Got

Banned
Can't wait to see the slew of articles about how upset Trump voters are as they start to die off, while a few of my friends who voted against this die from being kicked off health care.

don't forget forget the part that they still would vote for him...

Ponn

Banned
I mean exactly what I said, the approval ratings for the ACA have skyrocketed since they started the repeal and replace process. If their plan was to make it more unpopular they are failing. The House bill has a 17% approval rating. The rest of what you say is true, but that besides the point I was making.

Oh okay I get you. I don't think they are necessarily trying to make the plan look more unpopular though, just use it as a shield to hide their own incompetence, like they have been doing all along. If you stand back and look at everything objectively without a bias of we as individuals would want its just about their only option they have left, short of trying to pass a single payer option (which yes yes, we know they won't). Literally the best thing they can do is nothing and just complain about ACA for their base like they have been doing.

On the flip side of this Dem's and liberals have to realize the GOP have been doing serious damage to the ACA this entire time and thats why its important Dems take seats in 2018 because ACA will need serious repair to stay sustainable.

Camwi

Gotta go fast!

abd-356.gif

Not

Banned
Reconciliation can't be filibustered. Only needs 50 votes.

You guys told me it was dead. Way back when the budget reconciliation failed last time. Do any of you actually know what you're talking about?

If they only need 50 republicans, this thing's passing, even if it says that all people who make lower than $15k a year will be rounded up and slaughtered.

UberTag

This made me laugh more than it should have cause wow this is really fucking shitty of the GOP.

There's not even constituent support for this thing and yet they're doing it completely behind closed doors?? It's fucking stupid.
They're hoping to push it through now and that they'll be able to hide behind another issue / call the electorate's bluff that they won't hold them accountable for taking their health insurance away in 2018 / 2020. Besides, it's a required mountain to topple to dive into their crown jewel "tax cuts for the rich" endeavor.

The ACA will soon be dead. Happy birthday, America.

Beartruck

You guys told me it was dead. Way back when the budget reconciliation failed last time. Do any of you actually know what you're talking about?

If they only need 50 republicans, this thing's passing, even if it says that all people who make lower than $15k a year will be rounded up and slaughtered.
The senate is supposed to be a more moderate legislative body, the kind that wouldn't shove through massively unpopular legislation so hard that people would commit terrorist acts against them in response. Supposed to be. McConnell knows the senate is safe for republicans in 2018 and probably doesn't give a shit if they lose the house though, so full steam ahead.

Eusis

It literally says he's gonna vote regardless, because he's sick of this shit:

Don't wallow in self-defeat just yet. There's definitely a fight to be had, we just need to be loud about it. It doesn't sound like they have a 50 count locked and loaded, yet.
Yeah, I'm hoping the shot is really more "let's just get rid of this thing and move on" and less "I think this will pass NOW." Certainly don't like it though.

EDIT: Though the fact the House will need to vote AGAIN would probably kill it anyway, assuming you get the moderates clashing with the far rights again.

KingV

Addressed in the article, he is sending it to the CBO in bits and pieces, which you can do apparently

Interesting. I wonder what they are trying to do here. McConnell is many things but he isn't dumb.

On the one hand this makes the bill more likely to pass, but on the other hand, he has to know that making this bill into law will probably flip the house, lose the Presidency in 2020, and give D's a shot at the Senate in the same year.

If I were the Senate I would be trying to poison pill my own bill so it looks like we tried but couldn't reach consensus, or put in a compromise that got you to 51 but would be filibustered. It's asinine, but probably the smart move.

Tovarisc

Trying to rush shit through before Trump unravels?

If Trump falls there is real possibility Pence survives it and becomes president so GOP could still keep peddling this poison even after that. I imagine their main reason for rushing this poison peddling is to get it off the plate before election season of 2018.

jfoul

This is so scary that they're just trying to ram this garbage through.

My father voted for Trump, even though I had a tumor excised and 23 sessions of radiation three years ago.

Hopefully nothing cancer related pops up again, or fuck me I guess.

gcubed

Maybe I'm putting too much on the line in GA but honestly if you want to get the GOP scared, he needs to win and not just come close.

Gutek

Don't listen to the majority on GAF.

This is likely going through, Trump is not gonna get impeached, and Ossoff is not gonna win.

Alphahawk

So doesn't this mean that this is dead in the water then? 1 vote margin of error, no CB0 score, leader doesn't care if it passé or fails?

Interesting. I wonder what they are trying to do here. McConnell is many things but he isn't dumb.

On the one hand this makes the bill more likely to pass, but on the other hand, he has to know that making this bill into law will probably flip the house, lose the Presidency in 2020, and give D's a shot at the Senate in the same year.

If I were the Senate I would be trying to poison pill my own bill so it looks like we tried but couldn't reach consensus, or put in a compromise that got you to 51 but would be filibustered. It's asinine, but probably the smart move.

At this point, I think they figure the damage has been done to the House and that's going to fall where it's going to fall. The Senate map looks insanely good for the GOP in 2018, so I think that plays into it somewhat. The odds of them losing the Senate next year is incredibly unlikely no matter what.

So doesn't this mean that this is dead in the water then? 1 vote margin of error, no CB0 score, leader doesn't care if it passé or fails?

Republicans will fall in line. If they're pushing for a vote then its happening. Lord only knows how evil the fucking thing is.

Budget reconciliation wasn't done last time, because that doesn't apply to House votes. The House bill is dead, this is a bill being worked on by the Senate.

Blader

They can afford to lose two Republican votes, and pass it with 50 + Pence.

Budget reconciliation wasn't done last time, because that doesn't apply to House votes. The House bill is dead, this is a bill being worked on by the Senate.

Despite all the "we're starting from scratch" rhetoric, the bill doesn't all that different from the House one, and in some respects even worse.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!

If he puts it to vote, it'll pass. Republicans care about party more than country. They would rather eat a vote on a toxic health care bill than not do what McConnell asks.

And you can be sure that whatever the Senate kicks back to the House will pass there, too.

Despite all the "we're starting from scratch" rhetoric, the bill doesn't all that different from the House one, and in some respects even worse.

Sure they're working from the House bill, but we have no idea what it will actually look like. It'll definitely be different for better or worse.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Sure they're working from the House bill, but we have no idea what it will actually look like. It'll definitely be different for better or worse.

It's worse:

A leading option in the Senate's ObamaCare repeal-and-replace debate is to make even deeper cuts to Medicaid spending than the bill passed by the House, according to lobbyists and aides.

The proposal would start out the growth rate for a new cap on Medicaid spending at the same levels as the House bill, but then drop to a lower growth rate that would cut spending more, known as CPI-U, starting in 2025, the sources said.

Beartruck

Haley Byrd‏ @byrdinator

Here's how one conservative House staffer described waiting for the Senate health care bill. How others are feeling: http://ijr.com/2017/06/901684-house...g-conservative-provisions-senate-health-bill/ …

P0EWr5x.jpg
This news story gives me life. So the senate repubs are working to put together a moderate plan that will probably get shut down when the freedom caucus votes on it when Iits sent back to the house. Odds are good then that McConnell is just playing hot potato to make it not his problem anymore.

Top Bottom