• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/23 - 03/29

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
donny2112 said:
Maybe for MH3, but I think that could be stretching it.

150/200k for G, 500k for MH3 (600k at max wih the BEST releases).

What was PS2 LTD when the two MH were released?

AranhaHunter said:
I was gonna guess 500k LTD for MHG, I just think that MH is a lot more popular now than back in the PS2 days, but then again I might be way off :lol

Having to pay to play multi player for MHG is a huge strike against it.

Having no voice chat is almost even a bigger strike.

These are the EXACT same problems the PS2 game had. It wasn't an issue of popularity. It was that the game does not become fun until you have solid coop play.

I am a huge MH fan. But I am still hesitant to pay monthly to play it. And I definitely will not if it has no voice chat.

d[-_-]b

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
There was no secret about that all console versions in japan had p2p before MHG, it's not like this is the version to have it.

Acosta

I will have no problem to say I was wrong if happens, but I still think Monster Hunter is in a very different league when it´s not in a portable system. Monster Hunter 3 won't be the monster some of you think it will be.

Acosta said:
I will have no problem to say I was wrong if happens, but I still think Monster Hunter is in a very different league when it´s not in a portable system. Monster Hunter 3 won't be the monster some of you think it will be.

Well it won't sell 3 million like MHP2G, but certainly at least 1 million LTD no?

Tenbatsu

Acosta said:
In terms of gameplay it will be:D

Acosta

AranhaHunter said:
Well it won't sell 3 million like MHP2G, but certainly at least 1 million LTD no?

Yes, a million LTD could be reasonable given the user base of Wii and the popularity of the brand, maybe more, but not DQ numbers.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I wonder how high Taiko Wii can go. It's been pretty steady for months now. If it keeps showing legs, and going off of the DS games sales, I think by the end of the year it could be above MGS4 and possibly become the highest selling game in the Taiko franchise.

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:
I think it comes out in May.

Yes, for some reason Konami decided to completely kill off any chance of doing well. Should have just skipped it altogether and actually release next years in line with the other systems.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Acosta said:

I think i agree with you here.

schuelma

neojubei said:
I think i agree with you here.

If anyone expects it to do 3M like the portable, then yeah.

But I think it has a chance to do significantly better than the previous home console versions.

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:

I think "no." My opinion still hasn't changed from Jan-08. I think 500K is on the high end of a reasonable LTD for MH3. For Monster Hunter G, the original PS2 game sold 128K (232K) for first week (LTD), so 90K (180K) seems reasonable for the Wii port.

Code:
PS2 Monster Hunter    121K .. 55K .. 29K  ...  289K (20041226)
PS2 Monster Hunter G  128K .. 30K .. 15K  ...  232K (20051225)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2  368K .. 95K .. 39K  ...  571K (20061231)

Spiegel

schuelma said:
If anyone expects it to do 3M like the portable, then yeah.

But I think it has a chance to do significantly better than the previous home console versions.

Yeah, we have to remember that the last Monster Hunter for console was released in February '06, and it sold more than double of what MH or MHG sold (670k vs 290k and 232k). It's not crazy to think that the next Monster Hunter for console can sold double of what MH2 sold on ps2 after the Monster Hunter explosion in Japan.

But we can't really know what to expect from a new Monster Hunter for console because the really crazy explosion in popularity started happening in 2007.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Yeah, we have to remember that the last Monster Hunter for console was released in February 06', and it sold more than double of what MH or MHG sold (670k vs 290k and 232k). It's not crazy to think that the next Monster Hunter for console can sold double of what MH2 sold on ps2 after the Monster Hunter explosion in Japan.

But we can't really know what to expect from a new Monster Hunter for console because the really crazy explosion in popularity started happening in 2007.

Exactly. It's possible there is a 500K or so ceiling on console Monster Hunter's, but we haven't had any evidence since the series got insanely popular.

Assuming MH3 Portable isn't announced before MH Tri, I could see a decent amount of the really hardcore getting MH Tri to experience new Monster Hunter and then double dipping when their preferred version arrives later.

donny2112

schuelma said:
I could see a decent amount of the really hardcore getting MH Tri to experience new Monster Hunter and then double dipping when their preferred version arrives later.

Monster Hunter 2 seemed to propel interest in Monster Hunter Portable, but I'm not so sure of the other way around, particularly since the portable Monster Hunters are only available as BEST price re-releases, while Monster Hunter 3 will be full-priced. I agree that there will be some MHP players who will double-dip to get Wii MH3, but I still am not confident that it will be in such massive amounts to significantly out-perform the previous Monster Hunter console games. Local two-player co-op is a big plus for the Wii game, though. I don't think the PS2 games had that going for them.

For the Wii's health in Japan, though, it needs much better support from Nintendo. No single third-party game will turn around the system's current performance.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Monster Hunter 2 seemed to propel interest in Monster Hunter Portable, but I'm not so sure of the other way around, particularly since the portable Monster Hunters are only available as BEST price re-releases, while Monster Hunter 3 will be full-priced. I agree that there will be some MHP players who will double-dip to get Wii MH3, but I still am not confident that it will be in such massive amounts to significantly out-perform the previous Monster Hunter console games. Local two-player co-op is a big plus for the Wii game, though. I don't think the PS2 games had that going for them.

For the Wii's health in Japan, though, it needs much better support from Nintendo. No single third-party game will turn around the system's current performance.

You have to remember the insane queues to play MH3 at TGS. I don't think MH1 or MH2 had any of that.

I can't believe how quickly you guys dismiss MHP-MH2 scenario. That's the only fact out there, the rest is your opinion, and that fact says the growth in popularity MH had in the portable port was passed to the new entry on consoles.

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I can't believe how quickly you guys dismiss MHP-MH2 scenario. That's the only fact out there, the rest is your opinion, and that fact says the growth in popularity MH had in the portable port was passed to the new entry on consoles.

Refresh my memory..what were the numbers? MH2 PS2 did about double what the first one did, correct?

test_account

XP-39C²
If i am not mistaken, Monster Hunter 3 is also the first Monster Hunter game that have online play as well. I dont know how popular online play is in Japan though, but i can see that the online in Monster Hunter 3 can be a selling factor as well, eventhough that it cost alittle money to play online. It should be interesting to see how much Monster Hunter 3 will sell :)

EDIT: Does Monster Hunter G Wii have online play by the way?

EDIT 2: The Monster Hunter games for the PS2 had online afterall, i am sorry for the missunderstanding.

schuelma

test_account said:
If i am not mistaken, Monster Hunter 3 is also the first Monster Hunter game that have online play as well. I dont know how popular online play is in Japan though, but i can see that the online in Monster Hunter 3 can be a selling factor as well, eventhough that it cost alittle money to play online. It should be interesting to see how much Monster Hunter 3 will sell :)

I thought the first two PS2 games had it as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I thought the first two PS2 games had it as well.
I havnt played the PS2 Monster Hunter games myself (at least not from what i can remember), so i am not 100% sure now that you mention it, but i mean that i read here on NeoGAF that Monster Hunter 3 was the first MH game that had online play, but maybe i missread something.

EDIT: You are right, the previous Monster Hunter PS2 games had online play :) I am sorry for the missunderstanding :\

schuelma said:
Refresh my memory..what were the numbers? MH2 PS2 did about double what the first one did, correct?
Yeah and it also had THREE times the previous best first week. MHP was at less than 500k when MH2 was released, and that was already a huge growth over previous MH. MH2 was released and did more than that, and came as close as less than 12,000 units of MHP. MHP continued growing over a long time, but the growth it did before MH2 was matched and surpassed by MH2.

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah and it also had THREE times the previous best first week. MHP was at less than 500k when MH2 was released, and that was already a huge growth over previous MH. MH2 was released and did more than that, and came as close as less than 12,000 units of MHP. MHP continued growing over a long time, but the growth it did before MH2 was matched and surpassed by MH2.

Thanks

I definitely agree that it's going to do better than the PS2 versions, but I doubt it reaches the heights of MHP2.

Kyoufu

MH3 will definitely sell atleast a million. The franchise has a huge fanbase now in Japan thanks to the Portable versions, and since its been a while since Japanese hunters got their last fresh fix of monsters to slay then they will be jumping onboard the MH3 train.

I expect a million easily.

Vinnk

test_account said:
I havnt played the PS2 Monster Hunter games myself (at least not from what i can remember), so i am not 100% sure now that you mention it, but i mean that i read here on NeoGAF that Monster Hunter 3 was the first MH game that had online play, but maybe i missread something.

There were several online PS2 Monster Hunter games. And they all cost money to play.

JardeL

AranhaHunter said:
PS3 and Wii tied! GAF doesn't like ties.
Early M-Create HW numbers ;

DSi 57100 + DSL 8900
PSP 52500
PS3 21100
Wii 16800
PS2 4800
X360 4800

Ah damn , PS2 - X360 tie now ... :lol

thaOwner

donny2112 said:
I think "no." My opinion still hasn't changed from Jan-08. I think 500K is on the high end of a reasonable LTD for MH3. For Monster Hunter G, the original PS2 game sold 128K (232K) for first week (LTD), so 90K (180K) seems reasonable for the Wii port.

Code:
PS2 Monster Hunter    121K .. 55K .. 29K  ...  289K (20041226)
PS2 Monster Hunter G  128K .. 30K .. 15K  ...  232K (20051225)
PS2 Monster Hunter 2  368K .. 95K .. 39K  ...  571K (20061231)
Hmm, there is a trend. It seems with each new release, there actually more sales than the previous game. You know I actually think it might perform very.

Acosta

schuelma said:
Thanks

I definitely agree that it's going to do better than the PS2 versions, but I doubt it reaches the heights of MHP2.

It won't. I can foresee an scenario of over a million LTD, but I believe that is the most optimistic scenario by far. 500k seems low to me given the Wii userbase and the growth of interest of the series, but I wouldn't discard a sub million scenario.

The growth of popularity is tied to the portability of PSP. Of course that interest will translate some way to Monster Hunter 3, but just a part of it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinnk said:
There were several online PS2 Monster Hunter games. And they all cost money to play.
Ah ok, i must have missread and/or missunderstood something then, sorry about the missinformation :\ Thanks for the info! :)

Tideas

Banned
aerts1js said:
I can't believe Monster Hunter is STILL on the charts...apparently it's gonna sell until the end of time.

kinda like mario kart ds, haha.

I'm expecting MH Wii to sell around 500k range. The reason it's popular is because it's portable.

noonche

PuppetMaster said:

Having no voice chat is almost even a bigger strike.

These are the EXACT same problems the PS2 game had. It wasn't an issue of popularity. It was that the game does not become fun until you have solid coop play.

I am a huge MH fan. But I am still hesitant to pay monthly to play it. And I definitely will not if it has no voice chat.

I agree. Monster Hunter on PSP was all about multiplayer. We'd all show up at a friend's place on saturdays and then just kill stuff for hours. Tons of fun. When I moved away, we used XLink Kai for a while, but it just wasn't as fun. I think if Capcom doesn't do a lot to improve the online side of Monster Hunter than 3 won't come close to the PSP versions.

I'm thinking 650k-700k overall for Monster Hunter 3. This will go along with another 550k from Tales of Graces (wishful thinking), and 500k from The Crystal Bearers. If all of those games hit around those sales, I think it will restore some faith into the Wii's sales capabilities. Of course this faith will come way to late in the generation to make any huge revelations.

Stopsign said:
I'm thinking 650k-700k overall for Monster Hunter 3. This will go along with another 550k from Tales of Graces (wishful thinking), and 500k from The Crystal Bearers. If all of those games hit around those sales, I think it will restore some faith into the Wii's sales capabilities. Of course this faith will come way to late in the generation to make any huge revelations.

I don't see Tales of Gracia doing those numbers, the last two mainline Tales game didn't sell that much and one of those were on the DS.

JardeL said:
Early M-Create HW numbers ;

DSi 57100 + DSL 8900
PSP 52500
PS3 21100
Wii 16800
PS2 4800
X360 4800

Ah damn , PS2 - X360 tie now ... :lol

Huge difference between Famitsu and MC. +2100 for PS3, -2200 for Wii

DMeisterJ

Banned
Stopsign said:

Yep. but I'm expecting up to a million.

We just have to see why the PSP ones were so popular. Was it just popularity rising? Or was it really that it was portable? Will competent (Is MH3 online competent?) online fix the horrible PS2 experience? has the PS2 soured console MH?

All I do know is that Capgod will continue to make portable MH, so that makes me happy.

Top Bottom