• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/17 - 09/23 2007

Xisiqomelir said:
You people :lol

I wonder what the PSP drop-off next week will be. I say at least 40%
Only 40%? Unless supply constrained, dropoffs are always pretty big the week after launches.
DS: -57.6%
GBM: -72.7%
Wii: -75.6%

Dipping back into older Famitsu numbers, though, there is some precedent for a smaller drop
GBC: -56.8%
GBA: -47.1%
GBASP: -28.7%

donny2112

davepoobond said:

That has no chance of happening this week, though. If the numbers came out that way, we would all just assume they were wrong (because they would be) and wait for Media-Create to fix them. Waiting for Media-Create to fix their numbers would not be funny.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
Only 40%? Unless supply constrained, dropoffs are always pretty big the week after launches.
DS: -57.6%
GBM: -72.7%
Wii: -75.6%

Dipping back into older Famitsu numbers, though, there is some precedent for a smaller drop
GBC: -56.8%
GBA: -47.1%
GBASP: -28.7%

Added the launch date and GCN :
DS: -57.6% (launch in Dec 2, 2004)
GBM: -72.7% (launch in Sep 13, 2005)
Wii: -75.6% (launch in Dec 2, 2006)
GCN : ?? % (launch in Sep 14, 2001)

GBC: -56.8% (launch in ??)
GBA: -47.1% (launch in March 21, 2001)
GBASP: -28.7% (launch in Feb 14, 2003)

Since Sep is usually a slower month compared to March & Feb, the only precedent that should be used (IMO) to predict PSP slim second week sales is GBM and GCN. Anyone have GCN data (I don't have the weekly data for 2001) and can provide the second week drop off ? Maybe Joshua or donny ?

Brofist

volmer said:
So basically, existing PSP owners are now upgrading to the PSP Slim? :)

I would imagine there are quite a few new owners as well. Anecdotal, but I noticed people seem to be buying up PSP games and UMD movies at the game shops lately, and we all know long time PSP owners would never buy UMD movies ;)

Lightning

Banned
Not that much. I already know the PS3 will suck in Japan all October. I do expect PES08, GT5P, Ratchet and co to boost sales considerably over the holiday period though.

The trash talk that will occur as a result will probably be annoying but that will be about all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lightning said:
Not that much. I already know the PS3 will suck in Japan all October. I do expect PES08, GT5P, Ratchet and co to boost sales considerably over the holiday period though.

Ratchet is not going to boost sales one bit. Ratchet 1 sold 500k, Ratchet 2 sold 270 k, Ratchet 3 sold <200k. As we've seen so far, PS3 installments of existing PS2 franchises generally sell less (regardless of quality). Ratchet might hit 200k, but I'd be surprised.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
Ratchet is not going to boost sales one bit. Ratchet 1 sold 500k, Ratchet 2 sold 270 k, Ratchet 3 sold <200k. As we've seen so far, PS3 installments of existing PS2 franchises generally sell less (regardless of quality). Ratchet might hit 200k, but I'd be surprised.

It can happend. Just look at Mario Party for example. On Gamecube every Mario Party sequel from Mario Party 4 went downhill, but MP8 for Wii is selling pretty good. I dont belive Ratchet & Clank Future will boost PS3 hardware sales alot, but i do belive it will have some impact.

sankao

test_account said:
It can happend. Just look at Mario Party for example. On Gamecube every Mario Party sequel from Mario Party 4 went downhill, but MP8 for Wii is selling pretty good. I dont belive Ratchet & Clank Future will boost PS3 hardware sales alot, but i do belive it will have some impact.

I agree that Ratchet would sell better than its previous installments if it was published on Wii.

Jammy

Banned
test_account said:

Wii makes games sell well. PS3 makes games sell like piss.

Just popped in to see how low the Wii numbers are...and holy crap! I didn't realize the PSP slim came out this week, for some reason I thought last week's 95k/Crisis Core was also the slim launch. Wow.

Competition! Maybe sales threads will be interesting again.

ccbfan said:
fixed

Ratchet would go the way of Katana and Striker
Ratchet would probably sell better on Wii than PS3, but that's not really setting the bar terribly high. Nowhere near the sales it enjoyed on PS2 on either new system, obviously.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jammy said:
Wii makes games sell well. PS3 makes games sell like piss.

There are a few Wii games that have sold damn poor. Dewey's Adventure (or something) comes to mind. It sold like 1k the first week. So all Wii games doesnt automaticly sell well.

donny2112

Leondexter said:
I didn't realize the PSP slim came out this week, for some reason I thought last week's 95k/Crisis Core was also the slim launch.

It was. It was only for the Crisis Core special edition, though. This past week was the full Slim launch with all the different colors.

Any other comments or suggestions on this PSP gif from page 7? Preferably constructive comments. :p

psp_domination.gif

Edit:
test_account said:
So all Wii games doesnt automaticly sell well.

Nor do all PS2, NES, 360, etc. games. The situation you previously put forth with Ratchet, however, was like if a SNES game had started out good and sold progressively worse through its iterations, expecting its N64 incarnation to show no dropoff or increase.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Nor do all PS2, NES, 360, etc. games.
I know, i never said anything like that either. Jammy said that Wii makes games sell well, i just pointed out that Wii games doesnt automaticly sell well just because its on the Wii.

donny2112 said:
The situation you previously put forth with Ratchet, however, was like if a SNES game had started out good and sold progressively worse through its iterations, expecting its N64 incarnation to show no dropoff or increase.

No, then you missunderstood my point because this wasnt what i was saying. Stumpokapow showed that the Ratchet games for PS2 just had went downhill and because of this the PS3 version would not sell better. I then pointed out that the Mario Party games for Gamecube also went downhill, but when Mario Party for Wii was released it sold much more than the last Mario Party game for Gamecube, so why cant it happend with Ratchet & Clank also?

Since the PS3 userbase is relatively small it might be a stretch to say that Ratchet for PS3 will sell more than 200k (which Stumpokapow said the last Ratchet PS2 game sold), atleast in the begining, but i wouldnt say its impossible. The PS3 is selling rather lousy now so one rather popular game like Ratchet could easily boost the PS3 hardware sale, something Stumpokapow said wouldnt happend. It might be that he ment boosting the PS3 to new hights, but even if its just a small boost for some weeks, its still a boost :)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
but when Mario Party for Wii was released it sold much more than the last Mario Party game for Gamecube, so why cant it happend with Ratchet & Clank also?
Because the Wii is much more popular than the Gamecube while the PS3 is much less popular than the PS2? Lots of big franchises have been released on the PS3 so far and all of them have bombed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Because the Wii is much more popular than the Gamecube while the PS3 is much less popular than the PS2? Lots of big franchises have been released on the PS3 so far and all of them have bombed.

True about Wii, but my point was that you cannot just look at the salenumbers of previous games in a serie and say 100% sure from this that the next game will sell worse and not boost hardware sales one bit, especially when its a new console. And from what i've seen, alot of people were suprised that Mario Party 8 sold that well (still selling good) even if it was for Wii. All big PS3 games have bombed? I think we have a different opinion about what bombed is then :)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
True about Wii, but my point was that you cannot just look at the salenumbers of previous games in a serie and say 100% sure from this that the next game will sell worse, especially when its a new console. All PS3 games have bombed? I think we have a different opinion about what bombed is then :)
All those big games (Gundam Musou, Virtua Fighter, Minna no Golf…) severly underperformed compared to previous installments, yes, which is what we're discussing here.

And he didn't just look at the declining sales numbers to proclaim that Ratchet PS3 would sell worse, he also looked at the fact that the PS3 is lightyears from the PS2 in terms of popularity and software sales. Such a prediction makes much more sense than your example with how Wii managed to boost Mario Party from Gamecube. (In fact, that example only works in his favor since it supports the notion of games generally selling better on popular consoles than on unpopular consoles.)

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
All those big games (Gundam Musou, Virtua Fighter, Minna no Golf…) severly underperformed compared to previous installments, yes, which is what we're discussing here.

Of course, but you must also take userbase into consideration. When a game sells to like 30% of the userbase, thats not what i would consider bombed. When i think of bombed i think more of stuff like Dewey's Adventure, games that were predicted to sell much more than what they actually did.

Jokeropia said:
And he didn't just look at the declining sales numbers to proclaim that Ratchet PS3 would sell worse, he also looked at the fact that the PS3 is lightyears from the PS2 in terms of popularity and software sales. Such a prediction makes much more sense than your example with how Wii managed to boost Mario Party from Gamecube. (In fact, that example only works in his favor since it supports the notion of games generally selling better on popular consoles than on unpopular consoles.)

Maybe i dont explain to good and are getting my point out, but check Mario Party:

MP4: 900k | MP5: 698k |MP6: 527k | MP7: 454k | MP8: 800k and still growing. Big chance to go over 1 million.

The interest declined, people mostly likely got tired of Mario Party, but then suddently the interest rised again. Why is this? It didnt sell 800k just because of the Wii itself, it sold because people was interested in Mario Party again, must likely due to the motion controllers. Then Ratchet:

R1: 562k | R2: 274k | R3: 233k | R4: 223k

I'm not sure if all are sequels or so, but this is the numbers from Moor-Angol's site. Anyway, same thing here, interest declined, just like Mario Party. Then i wonder, is it possible that the interest for Ratchet can rise again?

As said, its a strech to say the PS3 version will sell over 223k due to the relatively low userbase, but is it impossible? Can it boost hardware sales (i.e from 10k to 20k for some weeks) due to new interest? Thats why i said you cannot just look at the previous sale numbers and say automaticly if the next installment will be lower. What if interest have risen again? Its hard to say. I hope my point was clearer now :)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Of course, but you must also take userbase into consideration.
Games tend to sell less on unpopular systems, yes. That's the point! For this reason it's only sensible to predict that PS3 will not be able to boost an already declining franchise.

It is theoretically possible (almost everything is), but the success of Mario Party 8 does not make it more probable.
test_account said:
When a game sells to like 30% of the userbase, thats not what i would consider bombed. When i think of bombed i think more of stuff like Dewey's Adventure, games that were predicted to sell much more than what they actually did.
How much was Dewey's Adventure predicted to sell? I know for a fact that Koei wanted to sell 2 million copies of Gundam Musou, and I think Namco Bandai had a target of 1 million.

donny2112

test_account said:
No, then you missunderstood my point because this wasnt what i was saying.

You reaffirmed that I had understood you perfectly.

test_account said:
Stumpokapow showed that the Ratchet games for PS2 just had went downhill and because of this the PS3 version would not sell better. I then pointed out that the Mario Party games for Gamecube also went downhill, but when Mario Party for Wii was released it sold much more than the last Mario Party game for Gamecube, so why cant it happend with Ratchet & Clank also?

Because that would be ...

donny2112 said:
like if a SNES game had started out good and sold progressively worse through its iterations, expecting its N64 incarnation to show no dropoff or increase.

That doesn't mean that the N64 incarnation can't show an increase, but to expect it to increase is quite ludicrous.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Games tend to sell less on unpopular systems, yes. That's the point! For this reason it's only sensible to predict that PS3 will not be able to boost an already declining franchise.

Of course, its because less people own the system if its unpopular :)

Jokeropia said:
It is theoretically possible (almost everything is), but the success of Mario Party 8 does not make it more probable.How much was Dewey's Adventure predicted to sell? I know for a fact that Koei wanted to sell 2 million copies of Gundam Musou, and I think Namco Bandai had a target of 1 million.

True, i'm not saying that it will happend, i'm just putting a question mark behind it. No idea how much Dewey's Adventure was predicted to sell, but i can almost guarantee you that it was more than ~1k the first week atleast. I assume those predictions from Koei and Namco were done before the launch of the PS3? I dont think hardly any would think the PS3 would get this slow start. I guess they thought it would be on pair, or atleast close to what the PS2 preformed. So higher predictions would be made based on this.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
That doesn't mean that the N64 incarnation can't show an increase, but to expect it to increase is quite ludicrous.

Why? It happend to Mario Party from GC to Wii. Why couldnt the same situation happend on SNES to N64 too? Its all about how much the interest have increased or not, and userbase of course. And just to underline, i never expected anything, i just put a question mark behind it, if it can happend or not.

Christine

test_account said:
Why? It happend to Mario Party from GC to Wii. Why couldnt the same situation happend on SNES to N64 too? Its all about how much the interest have increased or not, and userbase of course. And just to underline, i never expected anything, i just put a question mark behind it, if it can happend or not.

GameCube and SNES should NEVER be on the same end of a comparative analogy.

GameCube is to PS2 as SNES is to ???????

test_account

XP-39C²
TwinIonEngines said:
GameCube and SNES should NEVER be on the same end of a comparative analogy.

The analogy is the jump from one console to another. It doesnt really matter which consoles it is. And i'm not the one who brought up the SNES and N64 :p

TwinIonEngines said:
GameCube is to PS2 as SNES is to ???????

Megadrive/Genesis.

Sharp

test_account said:
Megadrive/Genesis.
The Genesis sold just a little worse in the US, outsold the SNES in Europe, but Japan, where it sold a lot worse. Not really a particularly apt comparison to the PS2.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sharp said:
The Genesis sold just a little worse in the US, outsold the SNES in Europe, but Japan, where it sold a lot worse. Not really a particularly apt comparison to the PS2.

The way i understood him he asked which console that was competing against SNES at the same time, just like GC was competing against PS2.

I doubt Mega Drive outsold the SNES in Europe btw. Maybe in the UK, but the rest was pretty much SNES dominated after my knowledge.

Christine

test_account said:
Im not the one who brought up SNES and N64 :p I'm just answering to what donny said.

test_account said:
Why? It happend to Mario Party from GC to Wii. Why couldnt the same situation happend on SNES to N64 too?

test_account said:
Megadrive/Genesis.

No. For starters, Genesis/Megadrive wasn't at least twice as popular as the SNES in every significant market.

Top Bottom