• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

Neo C. said:
1fbb9ff99d.gif

Well! So much for playing this game in the living room. =(
20+ pages? This is pretty big for an M-C thread. I wonder why...

I don't mean this as a defense of FFTA2's low sales particularly, but I wonder if we're bound to see more FF sequels that don't match the performance of predecessors, or what we might expect of them. There are just so many more of them then there used to be. To maintain similar or greater sales either the older FF fanbase has to greatly increase their frequency of FF purchases, or the FF fanbase must expand. Crisis Core, I PSP, II PSP, Tactics PSP, XII International, Revenant Wings, CC Ring of Fate, and IV DS all this year must have some vampiritic effect on each other.

Next year seems slightly less busy, but that could just be because they haven't got around to announcing them yet.

Pretty shit numbers all around, though Ghost Squad did better than I thought it would, Zack & Wiki did almost exactly what I thought it would, and Eye of Judgment did a good bit worse.

Oh well. Hopefully the holidays can kickstart gaming again in Japan, cuz it's been back in the gutters again for the last month.

Frillen

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well! So much for playing this game in the living room. =(

A Final Fantasy discussion, as usual. And the inevitable third-party sales discussion.

tanod said:
As far as charting goes, this will be the first full week of sales after the official price drop date.

Yeah but people, especially in Japan, tend to pick up new producs the day the price cut actually happens. For example, remember when the PSP Slim came out? The PSP sold 273k that week, but dropped to 103k the next.

tanod

when is my burrito
JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't mean this as a defense of FFTA2's low sales particularly, but I wonder if we're bound to see more FF sequels that don't match the performance of predecessors, or what we might expect of them. There are just so many more of them then there used to be. To maintain similar or greater sales either the older FF fanbase has to greatly increase their frequency of FF purchases, or the FF fanbase must expand. Crisis Core, I PSP, II PSP, Tactics PSP, XII International, Revenant Wings, CC Ring of Fate, and IV DS all this year must have some vampiritic effect on each other.

Next year seems slightly less busy, but that could just be because they haven't got around to announcing them yet.

I think that Square really needs to work more on getting their main titles out in a somewhat timely manner. I don't think sales of spinoffs are gonna do that well if people are feeling like it's taking forever to get an entry from the main series. The main titles are what energizes the brand. It's becoming a big problem as of late since it took them so damn long to put out 12. Not to mention the fact that they announced and showed 13 before 12 was even done.

Square is walking a thin line right now as far as their handling of the FF series.

EDIT: In that gif, is the guy punching her in the crotch or the boob? Wat?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:

Q4 2008 might have one of the FFXIII games. Also CC:TCB and the CC downloadable game. I'd hazard a guess the PSP will get at least one retro release (although I have no idea what it would be). And I'd say FFVR DS will be announced although maybe not released. Possibly another Ivalice Alliance game announced although probably not released.

There's also the longshots like a potential 4th FFXIII game for Wii, FF7R, or a sequel/spinoff of an unmilked FF game.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Ah for a second there I was wondering if I missed anything important.
Thanks.
Yeah, don't bother reading it, PvJ. As I said earlier in the thread, this is without question the worst Media-Create thread I've ever read.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, don't bother reading it, PvJ. As I said earlier in the thread, this is without question the worst Media-Create thread I've ever read.

Dammit!
Now I'm tempted...
Actually wait I'm supposed to pick up VF5 today. So much for this then.

ksamedi

I don't think Capcom was expecting Zack and Wiki to do better than 250k worldwide. It will probably even make a profit for them.

tanod said:
Not to mention the fact that they announced and showed 13 before 12 was even done.
After the Japanese release, before the US/EU release. Not nearly as big a deal as when they announced IX/X/XI on the same night, though.

XII was the least successful PS1/PS2 FF, and it managed to hit before the FF games were such a glut. Dirge of Cerberus was a few months earlier, and III DS was later in the year, but it was nothing like this year. I guess that's yet something else XIII will have working against it.

donny2112

Loudninja said:
Sorry, maybe not that much but atleast a nice boost

That's more likely. It should hit > 100K and maybe > 200K in a week or two for late December/early January, though. Based on history, the biggest sales weeks (for all systems) will probably be December 17-23 and December 31-January 6.

creamsugar said:
20.Zack & Wiki 11000

I think it has a good chance of hitting 50K by the end of year if Capcom ships more, and it has good word of mouth. :)

PepsimanVsJoe said:

The weekend was actually interesting this time around. :)

Segata Sanshiro said:

Yet, one of the most interesting weekends in months. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
I think its a bit too early to say if Z&W has good worth to mouth (atleast that it will affect the salenumbers noticeably). Its only been out for 6 days now.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't mean this as a defense of FFTA2's low sales particularly, but I wonder if we're bound to see more FF sequels that don't match the performance of predecessors, or what we might expect of them.

I suspect similarly. To see FFTA2 put up such dramatically worse numbers on the more successful DS is a pretty significant drop, and I'm inclined to attribute it, at least in part, to franchise fatigue. Square's really gone overboard on the sheer quantity of "Final Fantasy" products in the last year especially, and it wouldn't surprise me if they're starting to cannibalize each other and/or irritate some buyers enough that they stay away.

Neo C. said:
Need 1k units more to reach the expectation.

I adjusted upwards slightly a little further down the thread.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So how many Final Fantasy games have there been exactly, in Japan alone? It's only just dawned on me how often I've seen the name enter the charts...

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't mean this as a defense of FFTA2's low sales particularly, but I wonder if we're bound to see more FF sequels that don't match the performance of predecessors, or what we might expect of them. There are just so many more of them then there used to be. To maintain similar or greater sales either the older FF fanbase has to greatly increase their frequency of FF purchases, or the FF fanbase must expand.

Definitely a worrying sign for Square. They've backed themselves into a corner with nothing but Final Fantasy to rely upon -- Chrono's dead, Front Mission's basically dead, Mana's been tainted worse than Typhoid Mary, SaGa still puts up healthy numbers but not blockbuster anymore, PE is on cell phones... their once strong stable of franchises has narrowed down to nothing but Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy this month, last month, next month, and so on.

When the fatigue for All Final Fantasy All the Time fully sets in, they're going to have a bit of a problem.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
X - 2,325,215
X-2 - 1,960,937
XII - 2,322,329

Yeah, what an unsuccessful game.

Well that's not at all disingenuous.

Nice, the Wii looks to be continuing it's rise back up! Z&W seems to be doing better than expected after looking at it's first day sales as well! (Though I'll let MC be the real judge of this all, I don't trust Famitsu numbers)

Jokeropia

Nuclear Muffin said:
Nice, the Wii looks to be continuing it's rise back up! Z&W seems to be doing better than expected after looking at it's first day sales as well! (Though I'll let MC be the real judge of this all, I don't trust Famitsu numbers)
Why do you consider Media-Create more accurate than Famitsu?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
creamsugar said:
1.FFTA2 158,000
2.Ar-tonelico2 68,000
3.Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 25,000(1,011,000)
4.WEDS 22,000
5.DS Bungaku Zenshuu 21,000(61,000)
6.Imabiki 20,000
7.God of War 2 18,000
8.Gundam Battle Chronicle 18,000(169,000)
9.Wii Sports 17,000(2,056,000)
10.Ghost Squad 16,000

12.Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch DS 16000
19.Gurren lagann DS 11000
20.Zack & Wiki 11000
22.Volleyball World Cup: Venus Evolution PS2 9500
26.Hitman Reborn PS2 8100
30.The Eye of Judgment 7500
外.Gintama Wii 6900
外.BLADESTORM 360 5900
外.Baldr Bullet: Equilibrium PS2 5900
外.OMG 5500
外.Apathy DS 4200
外.DDR Wii 3400
外.Dungeon maker DS 1700
外.センシャ 500

Damn, I hope the USA sales aren't THAT bad for Z&W

donny2112

ethelred said:
Definitely a worrying sign for Square. They've backed themselves into a corner with nothing but Final Fantasy to rely upon -- Chrono's dead, Front Mission's basically dead, Mana's been tainted worse than Typhoid Mary, SaGa still puts up healthy numbers but not blockbuster anymore, PE is on cell phones... their once strong stable of franchises has narrowed down to nothing but Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy this month, last month, next month, and so on.

When the fatigue for All Final Fantasy All the Time fully sets in, they're going to have a bit of a problem.

Kingdom Hearts? This "fatigue" as you call it may have played into their reasoning for merging with Enix, too.

SovanJedi said:
So how many Final Fantasy games have there been exactly, in Japan alone? It's only just dawned on me how often I've seen the name enter the charts...

Since November 2006, I see ...

(<system> <title> <ending date of week it first appeared in Famitsu charts>)

GBA Final Fantasy VI Advance 20061203
PSP Final Fantasy 1 20070422
NDS Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings 20070506
PSP Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War 20070513
PSP Final Fantasy II 20070610
PS2 Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac 20070819
NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates 20070826
PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 20070916

8 titles. 5 re-releases. They had a good 5 month period there where they seemed to give the franchise a break, though.

Here's Mario since November 2006 for comparison.

NDS Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 20070415
WII Super Paper Mario 20070422
NDS Itadaki Street DS 20070624
WII Mario Party 8 20070729
WII Mario Strikers: Charged 20070923

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Yeah but people, especially in Japan, tend to pick up new producs the day the price cut actually happens. For example, remember when the PSP Slim came out? The PSP sold 273k that week, but dropped to 103k the next.

True that, but a pricecut isnt exactly a new product. I dont think that many people in Japan waited for a $50 (or something) pricecut on PS3 and that would be the factor for them to buy it. PSP Slim was a new revision of PSP. Revisions tends to be much more wanted and popular than a rather small pricecut.

donny2112 said:
Kingdom Hearts? This "fatigue" as you call it may have played into their reasoning for merging with Enix, too.
Wasn't it mainly after the merger that they went completely crazy with the FF brand?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well...that's one week, four weeks in a month...

I'd say 44k would be extremely optimistic for Zack & Wiki in the US. I'm betting it's sub-30k.

Damn, so chances are the USA sales will be even WORSE.

Phoenix Down said:
thats why i dont pay attention the JSlone
You really should. Ichigo's trying to do something cute with those numbers. I'll let you try to puzzle it out. Given the dazzling wit you generally display, it should keep you busy for a few years.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't mean this as a defense of FFTA2's low sales particularly, but I wonder if we're bound to see more FF sequels that don't match the performance of predecessors, or what we might expect of them.

The next thing we will see is probably FF4 DS. I predict it will be no where near the FF3 DS level (1m). Probably below CCFF7.

ITA84 said:
Anybody knows if there's a reason PSP sales are holding up?

We all know PSP can sell without softwares :lol

It will be pretty good for PSP (Slim) if it can stablize at around 50-60k/week level.

ethelred

AnimeTheme said:
The next thing we will see is probably FF4 DS. I predict it will be no where near the FF3 DS level (1m). Probably below CCFF7.

Of course, you predicted FF3 DS would sell around 300k, so...

Segata Sanshiro said:
You really should. Ichigo's trying to do something cute with those numbers. I'll let you try to puzzle it out. Given the dazzling wit you generally display, it should keep you busy for a few years.

I don't have the heart to keep PD in suspense. A more honest accounting of the numbers:
Code:
Final Fantasy VII  	PSX  	3,892,422
Final Fantasy VIII	PSX 	3,501,588
Final Fantasy IX 	PSX 	2,707,301
Final Fantasy X		PS2 	2,896,611
Final Fantasy X-2	PS2 	2,294,569
Final Fantasy XII	PS2 	2,437,879

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Phoenix Down said:
thats why i dont pay attention the JSlone

I've never heard of anyone say something disrespectful about JoshuaJSlone. He's always been respectful, fact-grounded, and willing to answer any questions anyone has had. The man is like the Gandhi of Sales-Age.

donny2112

Hcoregamer00 said:
Damn, so chances are the USA sales will be even WORSE.

1. Low U.S. shipments.
2. Most of those going to Wal-Mart.
3. NPD probably not accounting for Wal-Mart having a substantially larger share of a particular game than normal.
x. Profit!

Jokeropia

Segata Sanshiro said:
:lol

donny2112 said:
Kingdom Hearts?

True, that is the one other Square franchise that's still at all successful.

This "fatigue" as you call it may have played into their reasoning for merging with Enix, too.

I'm pretty sure the reasoning for merging with Enix was "OMG OMG OMG SHIT OMG SHIT SHIT SHIT OMG WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO"

And the series of events around that period (especially Wada's placement in the Presidency and his dictate that the company pursue the "polymorphic content" strategy) are what led to that fatigue, not the result of it: at the time the merger became official, FFX-2 had barely been out a week.

donny2112 said:
Blame Wii Fit Enix.

This is a pretty popular claim, but I don't really buy it. The president of S-E is from the Square side, and "polymorphic content" -- spreading IP liberally over a variety of cheaper, only vaguely related titles -- was his idea. I still think the problems with Square can be traced back to the Gooch's departure and the associated lack of team development -- Sakaguchi apparently put a lot of effort into mentoring and developing new producers and designers at the company, but nowadays the in-house projects all seem to be headed by Kitase, Nomura, or Kawazu, while everything else is farmed out.

charlequin said:
True, that is the one other Square franchise that's still at all successful.

I'm pretty sure the reasoning for merging with Enix was "OMG OMG OMG SHIT OMG SHIT SHIT SHIT OMG WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO"

And the series of events around that period (especially Wada's placement in the Presidency and his dictate that the company pursue the "polymorphic content" strategy) are what led to that fatigue, not the result of it: at the time the merger became official, FFX-2 had barely been out a week.
'
So in a Nut shell SQ has 3 sucessful franchises KH, DQ, and FF? right?

somone said not long ago they backed them selves into a corner with FF spin off's... I lol'd

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
Edit: I was quoting donny2112 here, but he removed his post so I figure I should remove mine.

I just merged it with the post I was quoting, since it probably fit better there. It's not gone.

AnimeTheme said:

We'll see. I expect games are going to feel the pinch from too many releases in proportion to how popular they already were; FFTA isn't a particularly well-loved branch of the FF tree, so it's feeling the burn, but FF7CC threw up ridiculous numbers just a few weeks ago.

Given that I don't think there's even anything else big coming out the same week, I'm kind of at a loss for how FF4ds could put up worse than a million assuming Square ships enough -- it has the holiday and a bigger installed base to propel it.

Phoenix Down said:
'
So in a Nut shell SQ has 3 sucessful franchises KH, DQ, and FF? right?

Right -- all of which take a few years and a fuckton of money to produce a "real" entry for.

somone said not long ago they backed them selves into a corner with FF spin off's... I lol'd

Given the unquestionable standards to which your analysis holds itself, I am sure that lol was well earned.

20th Dec. right?

I think it'll break a million. If it doesn't, then we'll see signs of the burn.

Regardless, I hope it does well enough for FFVDSr to come out. That's the FF game I'm interested in. (At least until a FFIX port/remake/whatever is announced)

Jokeropia

Phoenix Down said:
Considering the signs of declining popularity of the FF brand, I don't see what there is to "lol" about.

Top Bottom