• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch has sold 33.34 Million units in Japan, making it the best-selling system ever in Japan

Buggy Loop

Before any meaningful price drop

img GIF

un-fucking-believable

Switch 2 is at risk of having lower priced Switch 1 eat the cake.

Jakk

You're the one trying to discredit Nintendo sales by claiming they're not direct competitors. Whatever helps you cope man.

This forum is just bizarre, when I discuss with PS fanatics, I'm suddenly an Xbox fanboy and when I discuss with Nintendo fanatics, I'm somehow trying to discredit Nintendo to feel better about PS. I'll never understand how can presumably adult people act like this over a console.
Thank you for providing another example, like clockwork.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

midnightAI

How is that relevant? Switch and PS/Xbox have completely different hardware in terms of computing power and thus different games. Almost none current-gen multiplatform games are playable on Switch. Also obviously Switch is a hybrid handheld.

I mean sure, they do compete in the sense that they are both selling entertainment systems, but they are so different that I wouldn't call this a direct competition.
Its not even about computing power, one is mainly a home console the other is a handheld. Handhelds sell better because many family households will have multiple handhelds (of the same platform) versus 1 home console (of the same platform). In my household for example, we have 2 DS's, 3 3DS's, 3 Switches (original + 2 lights), one PS4, one PS5 and one XBox Series S, and several friends of mine are in a similar situation.

I'm not taking anything away from the number of Switch sales by the way, it is seriously impressive.

BlackTron

When I see all the fuss over competing vs directly competing. I think the implication is that if they're not a direct competitor, it "doesn't count", and that's where people get tripped up.

For example a Jeep Grand Cherokee is not a "direct competitor" to a Toyota Camry. They are in different segments -for a more accurate picture of the Jeep's value and performance you would want to compare it to others in the same segment (SUVs).

This fact doesn't really change the fact that they are competition in a way that still "counts". Every time someone buys a Camry, Jeep sees that as a wasted opportunity to convince someone a Jeep would have been better. They're both fulfilling a need of transport from point A to B and competing for the same dollars that the client has marked for this basic purpose. Basically, no they are not "directly competing", but that doesn't have the massive meaning behind it that people think or hope when they say so.

daclynk

If the Switch surpasses the PS2 is going to be a lot of fun here… oh yeah. Is going to be a mental gymnastics masterclass here. Can’t wait, this forum needs fuel.🔥 I still remember the Switch reveal thread… I have a few post there, i am part of the history (In the right side) 😂
Really wish that thread was still opened. lol

Its not even about computing power, one is mainly a home console the other is a handheld. Handhelds sell better because many family households will have multiple handhelds (of the same platform) versus 1 home console (of the same platform). In my household for example, we have 2 DS's, 3 3DS's, 3 Switches (original + 2 lights), one PS4, one PS5 and one XBox Series S, and several friends of mine are in a similar situation.

I'm not taking anything away from the number of Switch sales by the way, it is seriously impressive.
I use my Switch as home console only… Whats happen then… I am using it wrong or something? What happens to the PS2 that where used only as a DVD players? That’s sales doesn’t count as consoles?

Last edited:

yurinka

Too bad that according to some, Nintendo is no competition for Sony.
They are not. The main business of both is to sell games (1st+3rd party) games for their consoles. One being successful doesn't hurt the other one, because their offerings and top selling games are different enough to be more a complement than competition.

Sony generates way more money than Nintendo because Sony sells way more games for their consoles worldwide. And well, Japan is only a small portion of worldwide sales.

Last edited:

daclynk

They are not. The main business of both is to sell games (1st+3rd party) games for their consoles. One being successful doesn't hurt the other one, because their offerings and top selling games are different enough to be more a complement than competition.

Sony generates way more money than Nintendo because Sony sells way more games for their consoles worldwide. And well, Japan is only a small portion of worldwide sales.
but this is a Japan sale thread.

midnightAI

I use my Switch as home console only… Whats happen then… I am using it wrong or something? What happens to the PS2 that where used only as a DVD players? That’s sales doesn’t count as consoles?
Did I say it doesn't count? did I say anything that is controversial? All I said was my household (and several people I know) have multiple Switch consoles, one for each kid, and they play them in their rooms, outside, wherever, whereas the main home consoles (PS5 and XBox) we have one that's shared, that dont move (oh look, a use case for the Portal), I'm pretty certain that's not uncommon. I even footnoted my comment that its impressive sales.

Edit: actually, just seen your other comment about PS2, fair enough, I wont get into that war with you I'm afraid, I have multiple consoles and I have no real preference other than which games I prefer to play not which platform they are on.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
And Sony has 3 devices on the Market,
PS5
PSVR2
PS Portal. Shouldn't they be selling more?
No? VR market is very small for Sony and PS Portal is only a streaming device as far as I’m concerned, so also very small. No comparison to Nintendos home console and handheld market.

daclynk

No? VR market is very small for Sony and PS Portal is only a streaming device as far as I’m concerned, so also very small. No comparison to Nintendos home console and handheld market.
So the way i see it is, they are a business, who has being in the gaming industry the longest and their main source of revenue is video games. They took a smart decision to merge their handheld and home console devs to create the switch. Why should their effect being dismissed cos it doesn't fit other peoples narrative.

Last edited:
When I see all the fuss over competing vs directly competing. I think the implication is that if they're not a direct competitor, it "doesn't count", and that's where people get tripped up.

For example a Jeep Grand Cherokee is not a "direct competitor" to a Toyota Camry. They are in different segments -for a more accurate picture of the Jeep's value and performance you would want to compare it to others in the same segment (SUVs).

This fact doesn't really change the fact that they are competition in a way that still "counts". Every time someone buys a Camry, Jeep sees that as a wasted opportunity to convince someone a Jeep would have been better. They're both fulfilling a need of transport from point A to B and competing for the same dollars that the client has marked for this basic purpose. Basically, no they are not "directly competing", but that doesn't have the massive meaning behind it that people think or hope when they say so.
I’m very glad you used the car analogy.

Now let me ask you a question that might help you understand why people are stating what they are stating:

Do you think Lamborghinis are trying to compete directly with Jeep Cherokees and Toyota Camrys?

Audiophile

Gold Member
People who buy PlayStation and/or Xbox overwhelmingly choose one or the other; it's mostly zero-sum. Of people who buy Nintendo, about half have a PlayStation or Xbox.

So as it stands Nintendo vs PlayStation/Xbox is about half "dollar-competition" (as in they offer different types of experiences but if you're inclined towards and intend to have access to both of those types of experiences while your budget is limited you may have to prioritise one over the other) and about half "non-competition" (where there are those who are only inclined towards a Nintendo experience and those who are only inclined towards a PlayStation/Xbox experience).

So you could consider them not to be direct competition, but they do ultimately compete for prioritisation of gaming dollars about half the time, while not competing for gaming dollars the other roughly half the time.

If Sony started to re-renter the portable space more and/or Nintendo started offering more cutting edge technology the line of would start to blur and an area of direct competition may materialise.

Then in addition there's competition for attention/engagement and software/subscriptions. And my half/half hardware estimate of dollar vs non-competition is a rough idea of Ninty relative PS/XB only. Compare each platform against every other one and average it all out and could get really in the weeds. Ultimately I think direct-competition has a very narrow window while the bulk of it is dollar vs non-competition at whatever ratio.

Last edited:

Celine

No surprise. Nintendo combined both their markets (home console and handheld) into one. Assuming Nintendo would still have a dedicated home console and handheld neither would have these numbers.
Even considering past Nintendo gens which had TV console line and handheld console line separated most often than not the combined HW sales in the generation were lower than what NSW has sold until 2023.
NSW will finish above 36M in Japan.

WiiU+3DS=28.61M
WII+NDS=45.75M
GCN+GBA=21.00M
N64+GB/C (since N64 launch)=25.87M
SNES+GB (until N64 launch)=29.34M

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Now let me ask you a question that might help you understand why people are stating what they are stating:

Do you think Lamborghinis are trying to compete directly with Jeep Cherokees and Toyota Camrys?
Except in your case, the Lamborghini would be a PC, not a freakin' PS5. A Switch is $300 and a PS5 is $400-500. A buyer will consider their options between them because they aren't far apart in price. Someone building a $3500 rig wouldn't give a shit about the price of a PS5, just like someone buying a $200K car wouldn't care about a $30K Toyota.

Last edited:
Except in your case, the Lamborghini would be a PC, not a freakin' PS5. A Switch is $300 and a PS5 is $400-500. A buyer will consider their options between them because they aren't far apart in price. Someone building a $3500 rig wouldn't give a shit about the price of a PS5, just like someone buying a $200K car wouldn't care about a $30K Toyota.
Then replace Lamborghini with Tesla if it bothers you.

Let’s not dance around the point lol.

Woopah

And Sony has 3 devices on the Market,
PS5
PSVR2
PS Portal. Shouldn't they be selling more?
Two of those are accessories. It's not at all the same.
The software library and the type of console says differently. If they were direct they'd share all the main 3rd party releases but they don't.
Under the software library argument the GameCube wasn't a direct competitor to Xbox, neither was N64 to PS1, Wii to 360, Wii U to PS4 or 3DS to Vita.

As we've discussed in A previous thread, Switch's and PS4's software sales will br broadly similar after 7 years,so it's not "way more"

A big resson for their higher reported revenue (over the course of the PS4's lifetime) is the different accounting practices. But I would imagine Sony's revenue from PS4 could still be higher than Nintendo's from Switch, even if the accounting practices were aligned. But again I wouldn't say "way more"

Lamborghinis are much more niche than the other two, not mass market. A Lamborghini is more likely a ROG Ally while Jeep/Toyota are Sony and Nintendo.

Gaiff

Then replace Lamborghini with Tesla if it bothers you.

Let’s not dance around the point lol.
At those price points, there certainly is direct competition. As the poster you quoted said, someone buying a Toyota is very likely a potential customer Tesla lost. That person would have never bought a Lamborghini.

Once again, price matters. $300 and $400-500 are close enough to make one consider.

At those price points, there certainly is direct competition. As the poster you quoted said, someone buying a Toyota is very likely a potential customer Tesla lost. That person would have never bought a Lamborghini.

Once again, price matters. $300 and $400-500 are close enough to make one consider.
Most middle class and under consider Tesla on the luxury side, and for good reason. When most people buy one they need the space to have a charger for it, and the upkeep on it is different compared to regular cars.

People who are getting the Camry and Cherokee are not looking at Tesla in the same realm. It’s not even on their radar.

It’s like you guys are purposefully being coy about this and are still dancing around things.

Gaiff

Most middle class and under consider Tesla on the luxury side, and for good reason. When most people buy one they need the space to have a charger for it, and the upkeep on it is different compared to regular cars.

People who are getting the Camry and Cherokee are not looking at Tesla in the same realm. It’s not even on their radar.

It’s like you guys are purposefully being coy about this and are still dancing around things.
I was hesitating between an Altima and a Tesla and I went with the Altima so yes, it is absolutely on their radar lol. Then consider the fact that a lot of governments subsidize the purchase of electric vehicles (mine gives up to $8000) and that charging them is a lot cheaper than paying for gas. In the long run, electric vehicles can actually come out cheaper than gas ones.

So no, I think you're full of it. Nobody is dancing around anything and you're seriously trying to equate the $100 extra you have to pay for the digital PS5 over the Switch to the $10-20,000 you have to pay for a Tesla and you still ended up being incorrect. It was obvious the moment you compared a damn PS5 to a Lamborghini lol.

Better analogy: The Switch is a Civic and the PS5 is an Accord. They're not in wholly different price brackets like you've been trying to suggest and miserably failing at.

Last edited:

Woopah

According to me, multiple factors I mentioned in my previous post determine that Switch is not a direct competitor for current/previous gen PS/XBOX. Not sure why you picked only the one. And yeah, just like Switch, Wii wasn't a direct competitor for PS3/360. Again, emphasis on the word direct. It mainly targeted more casual audience, had weaker hardware, but instead it relied on the then revolutionary Wii Remote.

Wii U, not really. As for GameCube, I think it's the last "traditional" console Nintendo has made and yeah, I would say it was in direct competition with PS2 and original Xbox.

Honestly, it feels like some people here think that saying Nintendo doesn't directly compete means Nintendo is worse or something, but they are completely missing the point. The fact that Switch doesn't directly compete with PS/Xbox doesn't mean it's less successful.
I would say that tradition doesn't play into it to much. To give some examples:

Being a console / DVD player combo made the PS2 less traditional than the GameCube, but it still competed with it directly.

The DS was less traditional than the PSP, but it was created to respond to and compete with that device.

As you say, the Wii was less traditional than the PS3 or 360, but both Sony and Microsoft made moves to increase their competitiveness with the Wii.

The Wii U with it's Gamepad and XB1 with its Kinect were less traditional than the PS4, but all three companies wanted to take audience off each other.

Last edited:
I was hesitating between an Altima and a Tesla and I went with the Altima so yes, it is absolutely on their radar lol. Then consider the fact that a lot of governments subsidize the purchase of electric vehicles (mine gives up to $8000) and that charging them is a lot cheaper than paying for gas. In the long run, electric vehicles can actually come out cheaper than gas ones.

So no, I think you're full of it. Nobody is dancing around anything and you're seriously trying to equate the $100 extra you have to pay for the digital PS5 over the Switch to the $10-20,000 you have to pay for a Tesla and you still ended up being incorrect. It was obvious the moment you compared a damn PS5 to a Lamborghini lol.

Better analogy: The Switch is a Civic and the PS5 is an Accord. They're not in wholly different price brackets like you've been trying to suggest and miserably failing at.
Here’s an easier one for you: Do you consider motorcycles and cars to be targeting the same markets?

Let’s say the Switch is a motorcycle and a car is a PS5.

Gaiff

Here’s an easier one for you: Do you consider motorcycles and cars to be targeting the same markets?

Let’s say the Switch is a motorcycle and a car is a PS5.
That's enough out of you and your ludicrous analogies. The Switch is a hybrid console with plug-and-play capabilities selling for $300. The PS5 is a home console selling for $400-500. Are they rivals like the SX and PS5? No, but you're out to lunch if you seriously think the 140M Switch sold didn't take a lot of customers from Sony.

The market has a finite number of customers, and not everyone is willing to shell out $700+ to own both the PS5 and Switch.

yurinka

As we've discussed in A previous thread, Switch's and PS4's software sales will br broadly similar after 7 years,so it's not "way more"
With the sales of this quarter the sales of Switch are 1200M.

When PS4 had 7 years, in 4 and a half of these years listed here sold 1250M. But out of these first 7 years, there are 2 years and a half of sales not listed there there.

Sony had in those listed PS4 years over 200M games sold per year.

Meaning, on its first 7 years PS4 should have sold around half a billion games more than Switch. Half a billion games are way more.

And PS4 didn't end selling games when they released PS5 and started to merge their software sales with PS5: it will have a way longer life cycle than Switch, as always happened in previous generations.

Last edited:

Resenge

That's enough out of you and your ludicrous analogies. The Switch is a hybrid console with plug-and-play capabilities selling for $300. The PS5 is a home console selling for $400-500. Are they rivals like the SX and PS5? No, but you're out to lunch if you seriously think the 140M Switch sold didn't take a lot of customers from Sony.

The market has a finite number of customers, and not everyone is willing to shell out $700+ to own both the PS5 and Switch.
That sounds a tap out to me.

I declare March Climber March Climber the winner!

two-boxer-men-standing-ring-260nw-239723902.jpg

That was fun reading those car analogy mental gymnastics. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Gaiff

Kerotan

Two of those are accessories. It's not at all the same.

Under the software library argument the GameCube wasn't a direct competitor to Xbox, neither was N64 to PS1, Wii to 360, Wii U to PS4 or 3DS to Vita.

A big resson for their higher reported revenue (over the course of the PS4's lifetime) is the different accounting practices. But I would imagine Sony's revenue from PS4 could still be higher than Nintendo's from Switch, even if the accounting practices were aligned. But again I wouldn't say "way more"

Lamborghinis are much more niche than the other two, not mass market. A Lamborghini is more likely a ROG Ally while Jeep/Toyota are Sony and Nintendo.
There are more differentiating factors then just software although with playstation and switch that's a huge factor.

What people here might not realise is, saying it's a secondary competitor is still saying it's a competitor. It's not as if I'm saying it's no competition but it's definitely not primary.

Woopah

With the sales of this quarter the sales of Switch are 1200M.

When PS4 had 7 years, in 4 and a half of these years listed here sold 1250M. But out of these first 7 years, there are 2 years and a half of sales not listed there there.

Sony had in those listed PS4 years over 200M games sold per year.

Meaning, on its first 7 years PS4 should have sold around half a billion games more than Switch. Half a billion games are way more.

And PS4 didn't end selling games when they released PS5 and started to merge their software sales with PS5: it will have a way longer life cycle than Switch, as always happened in previous generations.
The PS4 number is missing 2.5 years of total sales, and we would expect each of those years individually to be lower than 234m as software sales grow over time.

Meanwhile, the Switch number is missing nearly 7 years' worth of digital only games.

Once you add those numbers in, the actual gap won't be anywhere near half a billion.

PS4 did indeed continue selling games after November 2020, and Switch will continue selling games after March 2024.

Last edited:

Woopah

PlayStation is absolutely no competition to Nintendo.

GJw3fgk.jpg
I would say that is a seperate matter. WII U was still competing with the PS4, even though the PS4 was far far more successful.
There are more differentiating factors then just software although with playstation and switch that's a huge factor.

What people here might not realise is, saying it's a secondary competitor is still saying it's a competitor. It's not as if I'm saying it's no competition but it's definitely not primary.
There were plenty of differences between the 3DS and the Vita, including power levels, software library and features.

That didn't prevent the Vita from being a primary competitor to the 3DS.

Last edited:
When you have no rebuttals, post laughing emojis and gifs. That's usual what gaffers who get destroyed do lol.
You didn't even answer the question. You kept saying 'but no, this car doesn't count because' and 'but no, this company doesn't count because'. It's a song and dance a lot of people here do. How am I supposed to respond to someone who won't reply in earnest and keeps dodging a question?

Gaiff

You didn't even answer the question. You kept saying 'but no, this car doesn't count because' and 'but no, this company doesn't count because'. It's a song and dance a lot of people here do. How am I supposed to respond to someone who won't reply in earnest and keeps dodging a question?
I replied very earnestly to your question and told you verbatim that while they're not rivals like the PS5 and SX, the 140M units sold of the Switch still took a sizeable chunk of potential customers from Sony. How can it get clearer? You're trying to suggest that they compete in totally different markets and that's patently false.

Your Lamborghini analogy was especially egregious because only the top 0.1% can afford a $200K car whereas the vast majority of people in developed nations can afford at least one console. A price difference of $100,000+ is in no way comparable to $100. Come on.

I replied very earnestly to your question and told you verbatim that while they're not rivals like the PS5 and SX, the 140M units sold of the Switch still took a sizeable chunk of potential customers from Sony. How can it get clearer? You're trying to suggest that they compete in totally different markets and that's patently false.
Because they do. They appeal to different people.

They literally have separate libraries of third party games. You cannot play a large chunk of current gen games on the Switch, and even the few that are on them can't be played natively. That is considered a separate market. It's the elephant in the room that you guys are ignoring here. If Switch had the exact same third party library that Sony has, this line wouldn't exist.

I don't understand why this concept is escaping you, so I believe that deep down you know this and refuse to acknowledge it and dance around it instead, just to be right. Which, fine, many people here hate being wrong, but at least be honest and say 'I'm just trying to be in the right' than doing what you're doing.

Woopah

They literally have separate libraries of third party games. You cannot play a large chunk of current gen games on the Switch, and even the few that are on them can't be played natively. That is considered a separate market. It's the elephant in the room that you guys are ignoring here. If Switch had the exact same third party library that Sony has, this line wouldn't exist.

I don't understand why this concept is escaping you, so I believe that deep down you know this and refuse to acknowledge it and dance around it instead, just to be right. Which, fine, many people here hate being wrong, but at least be honest and say 'I'm just trying to be in the right' than doing what you're doing.
There are many games you could play on PS2 and not GameCube, or on 3DS but not Vita.

Do you believe that means those products were in different markets from each other?

Last edited:

In FY22/23 Sony sold 264M software units, whereas Nintendo sold 213M units worldwide. The Nintendo number probably contains more first party than Sony's and Nintendo probably moved more software in previous years this gen, while the PS5 was struggling.

Oh yeah, and the Nintendo number doesn't include digital but the Sony one does. The Sony number includes PS4 too. So Switch software probably beat Sony worldwide last FY. Which is not surprising since Switch hardware sales were 3 X PS5 at that point.

Japan, too as far as I can remember represents 25% of world gaming market, so it's not small!

Last edited:

Gaiff

They literally have separate libraries of third party games.
So did most consoles for the vast majority of history until now. The Genesis/Mega Drive and SNES had massively different libraries, yet they were direct competitors. Wasn't the GC directly competing with the PS2 and Xbox? What about the PS1 and N64? When did having a different library suddenly meant you're not competing in the same market? I must have missed that memo.
You cannot play a large chunk of current gen games on the Switch, and even the few that are on them can't be played natively. That is considered a separate market. It's the elephant in the room that you guys are ignoring here. If Switch had the exact same third party library that Sony has, this line wouldn't exist.

Because you're blatantly wrong. Most people don't give a shit about those market segments you're alluding to. Most people are casual gamers who just want to enjoy fun games. You cannot dedicate every waking hours of your life to gaming. What are you going to play? Super Mario or Spider-Man 2? Only 53% of American households own a gaming system, which means damn near half don't. The majority only own a single console which means that people will only choose one of the three to take home, not both a PS5 and a Switch.

Actual data disagrees with your assessment.

Last edited:
There are many games you could play on PS2 and not GameCube, or on 3DS but not Vita.

Do you believe that means those products were in different markets from each other?
The difference between the Switch and PS5 is like the difference between the Vita and PS4.

They are appealing to entirely different markets and you'll see more evidence of this once the direct happens next week. Let's see how many bite-size jrpgs, remasters, indie ports, and farming simulators we see as the Switch makes yet another death rattle for a new year when it should have had a successor already.

Like what are we even arguing here lol. Are you guys in the same reality as the rest of us?

So did most consoles for the vast majority of history until now.
No, not until now. This separation slowed down during the PS2 generation and only sped back up because the Wii was a slightly better gamecube in specs, which offset it against the PS3/360 games. That's why people always made the separation of both. One one side, you have PS and Xbox, the other side you have Nintendo. Regardless of who is winning or losing the sales fight, this separation has existed for 3 entire generations now.
Most people don't give a shit about those market segments you're alluding to. Most people are casual gamers who just want to enjoy fun games.
Yes, and Nintendo themselves are the one carrying the 'fun game' market on their platform. That is worrying because there are fun games on stronger systems that Switch owners don't have access to. I mean for crying out loud the switch is being thrown scraps by the larger publishers. They are literally struggling to meet the standards of the AAA industry. A lot of the newer announcements lately are either saying 'maybe switch later' or 'streaming on switch' or simply 'no switch'.

Only 53% of American households own a gaming system, which means damn near half don't. The majority only own a single console which means that people will only choose one of the three to take home, not both a PS5 and a Switch.

Actual data disagrees with your assessment.
Yes, you're right here! And those console owners buy the system they want depending on multiple factors of where they are in life and what they want out of the system. Which was part of my original point and the car analogy.

Guys I know you're better than this. C'mon.

Woopah

The difference between the Switch and PS5 is like the difference between the Vita and PS4.

They are appealing to entirely different markets and you'll see more evidence of this once the direct happens next week. Let's see how many bite-size jrpgs, remasters, indie ports, and farming simulators we see as the Switch makes yet another death rattle for a new year when it should have had a successor already.

Like what are we even arguing here lol. Are you guys in the same reality as the rest of us?
It's all part of the same market.

Look at any report from Circana, Famitsu, Media Create or GSD and they include PS5, Switch and Xbox Series in the same market and same rankings.

Its the same on the software side. They don't list a seperate market for JRPGs, indie games and farming games. They include those in the same market as platformers and action games.

Top Bottom