• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10 - 16 July

cvxfreak

Famitsu:

h-121_57244_060804hard.jpg.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2006/07/20/120,1153395675,57242,0,0.html

Terrell

A_Lee_N said:
Despite being impressed with Rockman ZX, I agree with you on this. The Megaman series have been going downhill for years and it needs to take a break, milking a series with tons of sequels, spinoffs and remakes does not help with getting the series back on track. It needs a break.
That's what people wanted Capcom to do with Street Fighter, and that franchise is all but DEAD now, and I blame it on people who wanted it to go away with Capcom giving it a Do Not Resusitate order. But when you don't resusitate something, it's eventually going to stop breathing entirely.
Do not encourage Mega Man to befall the same fate!!

And also, Rockman ZX could become the next Children of Mana, with strong legs keeping it in the low numbers on the chart for extended periods. Just a thought.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DS is doing well as always. A down week at 140k. :D

PSP doing nice, I'm pleased with Loco Roco.

Raw64life

cvxfreak said:
DSL 140,858
PSP 35,283
PS2 23,927
DS 11,821
GBASP 2,619
GBM 1,581
Xbox360 1,105
GC 928
GBA 28
Xbox 10

YTD/LTD

NDS - 3,849,643/9,496,595
PSP - 988,181/3,671,143

NDS Lead - 2,861,462/5,825,452

Assuming Nintendo shipped enough pink DS lites the DS lead over PSP in Japan should pass 6 million next week.

Wow, these sales threads are really lacking now that everyone is used to DS/DSL amazing performance. I mean this thread is lacking the following types of posts:

cvxfreak said:
DSL 140,858
DS 11,821
OMGBBQWTF non-games ftw!

cvxfreak said:
PSP 35,283
If you ignore DS/DSL performance PSP hardware is doing just fine!

cvxfreak said:
Xbox360 1,105
GC 928
Momentum! The epic struggle continues!

cvxfreak said:
:lol When are they going to stop tracking Xbox?!

donny2112

Raw64life said:
YTD/LTD

NDS - 3,849,643/9,496,595
PSP - 988,181/3,671,143

From the 12 June - 18 June Media-Create thread,

donny2112 said:
The DS will be over 4 million YTD when PSP hits 1 million YTD, though. ;)

Oooh. The tension.

Edit:
I figured out why Nintendo is releasing a new color of DS Lite in July. They wanted to make sure that they didn't drop below ~750K for the month, and July was tracking to only do ~600K.
:p

Juice

cvxfreak said:
If I lived in Japan and had a few grand to spare, I'd buy like 25 Xbox systems and see if they make the charts.

:lol

As long as you didn't buy from Toys 'R' Us you'd probably succeed. Lol.

Archie said:
Still not bad for Sony's first attempt. I doubt anyone expected them to overtake the market leader the first time out. ;)

WTF? Most people on this forum expected PSP to crush DS and become the new handheld standard taking handheld gaming out of the ghetto.

Go look at some of the early DS/PSP discussion threads.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Archie said:
Still not bad for Sony's first attempt. I doubt anyone expected them to overtake the market leader the first time out. ;)

no, only about 95% thought psp would crush ds before they were released. :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ddk_ps3 said:
WTF? Most people on this forum expected PSP to crush DS and become the new handheld standard taking handheld gaming out of the ghetto.

Go look at some of the early DS/PSP discussion threads.

Dimmuxx said:
no, only about 95% thought psp would crush ds before they were released. :p

:lol :lol

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
If I lived in Japan and had a few grand to spare, I'd buy like 25 Xbox systems and see if they make the charts.
do it one week and don't tell anybody, then if they show up, the next week buy a shitload more and bet someone xbox will jump over 60 sales. BIG MONEY IS TO BE MADE.

don't forget to return all the xboxes a week or two later for mega negative sales figures (and what the hell are you going to do with a bunch of xboxes in japan anyway, that will not win you any friends)

The usual.

GBASP after 20 weeks: 1.22M
DSL after 20 weeks: 2.93M
Time for GBASP to reach 2.93M: ~53 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 20 weeks: 314K
"DS after DSL" after 20 weeks: 468K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 468K: ~35 weeks

DS after 20 weeks: 2.08M
PSP after 20 weeks: 1.23M
GBM after 20 weeks: 441K

In graph form.

DS2005 vs DS+DSL2006

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DS/DSL needs to sell just under 302K to beat the 2005 DS YTD. I guess it'll pass it before the end of July (two more charts).

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
I wouldn't be surprised if at least 100,000 pink DS Lite systems were sold on July 20.

Hundreds Line Up for DS Lite
A new color and a digital cook book were all it took.

According to Famitsu.com, the mega super huge Yodobashi Camera Multimedia tower located in Akihabara, which is still the world's electronics capitol following some recent additions and fix-ups, had over 200 lined up prior to the 9:00 opening. The store claimed to have between 500 and 1000 units for sale, but expected this to last only until the afternoon.

Across the city, in Tokyo's Ikebukuro district, over 150 had lined up outside the main Bic Camera shop by 9:30. The person at the head of the line had arrived via bike at 3:00. Another Bic shop, this one in Tokyo's Ginza area, had over 130 lined up prior to opening.

Nintendo's goal of reaching new audiences seems to be working. Speaking with Famitsu, employees at the Akihabara Yodobashi noted a 20% surge in female customers today. While the crowd was still mostly male, the staff also noted that some customers were picking up systems for a girlfriend, mom, daughter or wife. One person stated that she was waiting in line to pick up a pink DS Lite for her older brother's girlfriend, as her brother couldn't get out of work.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/719/719893p1.html

Grampasso

So correct me if I'm wrong, if this DS Lite trend goes on for the rest of the year (which is more than likely to happen, given the next outstanding line-up), DS Lite *ALONE* total for the rest of the year in Japan could reach 8-9 millions? In 10 months??? O_O

Edit: I assumed there'll be a huge HW boost with Pokemon launch and with Christmas time

Grampasso said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, if this DS Lite trend goes on for the rest of the year (which is more than likely to happen, given the next outstanding line-up), DS Lite *ALONE* total for the rest of the year in Japan could reach 8-9 millions? In 10 months??? O_O

Edit: I assumed there'll be a huge HW boost with Pokemon launch and with Christmas time

If DS Lite would average on sth. like ~140k till the end of November and then sell another ~2m in the 5 weeks of December (NPD calendar style), it would probably hit that mark. But I would say DS+DSL YTD will probably be more like 8m combined (1m DS + 7m DSL).

Btw.:

PSP YTD 2006: 988.181
PSP YTD 2005 (same amount of weeks): 1.041.486

Although PSP is still behind, PSP 2006 has been selling above the PSP 2005 for quite a few weeks now. In the next 7 weeks, PSP 2006 will most likely gain ground on it's 2005 performance,the week after that saw the release of WE and the White PSP with sales of ~70k though.

According to Shinobi, Nintendo shiped 250k copies of DS Oryori Navi(Cook Book).
And it sure to breake 10k record on its first week.

Bo130

250k? :/ I actually think there'll be a shortage then. I think this is exactly what DS needs ATM for non-gamers.

koam

Grampasso said:

It's funny because at the beginning of the year, i remember nintendo saying something to the extent of them expecting the DS to sell 6 million units in all of japan by end of year. People laughed cause that would mean the DS would have to sell over 80K+ or so per week to make that. It looks like they will far surpass that number now.

jesusraz

Michirou_53 said:
According to Shinobi, Nintendo shiped 250k copies of DS Oryori Navi(Cook Book).
And it sure to breake 10k record on its first week.

Only shipped 250,000 units? Hmm...and I predicted SALES of 300,000 in its first week. Oh well. Surprised Nintendo only put out this amount, especially considering the current DS craze in Japan!

Any word on actual first day sales?

Really, the week that I'm waiting for is the week that Tamagotchi 2 and Mushiking 2 come out. If those two games sell well, it will probably set a trend for the rest of the year for DS 3rd Parties. I'm expecting both to be 100-125,000. I also believe Mario Hoops comes out. So I think it will continue, with about the same sales as the this week.

donny2112

koam said:
People laughed cause that would mean the DS would have to sell over 80000K+ or so per week to make that. It looks like they will far surpass that number now.

There is no way in the world for the DS to sell that many per week, ever.

Top Bottom