• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2012 (Sep 10 - Sep 16)

Dantis

So I guess Persona Arena is pretty much done on sales? So much for all those people talking about it becoming the best selling fighter of the generation.

Devil Summoner has sold extremely well for a game which will have cost absolutely zilch to make though.

wrowa

So I guess Persona Arena is pretty much done on sales? So much for all those people talking about it becoming the best selling fighter of the generation.

Devil Summoner has sold extremely well for a game which will have cost absolutely zilch to make though.

I'm pleasantly surprised that it's outselling both Persona 2 re-releases.

donny2112

An early 2014 launch for the PS4 has been the rumour for a while, though I admittedly haven't been paying super close attention.

They should both come in 2013. PS4 was rumored for early 2014, and 720 was supposedly having manufacturing difficulties that would push it into 2014. Still expect them both in 2013, because they're not that stupid.

I think as far as the PS3 releases for the Japanese audience specifically the system is teetering on the cliff right now.
What you saw lately was a summer mirage.See Italy?.Things will return to normal very soon in Japan and Europe (FIFA/PES/RE/COD/AC).

Comg - September 22

1. [PS3] Resident Evil 6 - 714pt
2. [PSP] SD Gundam G Generation World Over - 305pt
3. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 (Limited Edition) - 234pt
4. [PS3] 2nd Super Robot Taisen OG - 146pt
5. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 - 110pt
6. [PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII - 101Pt

7. [3DS] Project X Zone - 64pt
9. [PSP] AKB1/153 Love Election – 59 pt
10. [PSP] Summon Night 4 - 59pt
11. [PS3] Dead Or Alive 5 (Limited Edition) - 45pt
11. [PSP] W Troopers Cardboard – 35 pt
12. [3DS] Girls Mode - 33pt
13. [PSP] Summon Night 4 - 32pt
14. [PSP] Sol Trigger - 31pt
15. [PS3]Shin Sangoku Musou Empires 6 - 29 pt
16. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising - 29 pt
17. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Subtitled) - 26pt
18. [3DS] Bravely Default - 28pt
19. [PSP] Fate / Extra CCC Type Moon Virgin White Box (Limited Edition) - 26pt
20. [PS3]Dead or Alive 5 Collector's Edition - 25pt

PS3 - 1,461 pt
PSP - 547 pt
3DS - 125 pt

(RE6+WE 2013)~ 950k + PS3 Ultra Slim

I had an honest question here.

Are we actually expecting Japanese PS3 support to fall off a cliff in 2013 and become basically non-existent in 2014?
The PS3 hasn't peaked yet.
Media Create: PS3 Software Sales

2006 - 397,930 (Famitsu)
2007 - 2,659,962 (Famitsu)
2008 - 4,771,678
2009 - 8,343,862
2010 - 10,149,132
2011 - 12,531,566
I expect ~ 15 m in 2012.The PS3 has a few good years left in it.

Another factor which should increase even more 3DS games in the future is the release of basically some of the last PS3 big guns.2012 is the last year for PS3 filled with many great releases
For a PlayStation console,there's nothing bigger than FF/MGS/KH.Add a couple of price cuts and you have a 10-year life cycle.

Hmm intersting question. I honestly think so. I expect all of the big publishers to move quickly onto PS4/720.
There's no room for PS4 in Japan until at least the second half of the decade.So,the sooner they launch,the greater the chance of having another Vita.

I expect people going for the middle of the road/less expensive route will either be on 3DS or Wii U. I honestly don't expect Versus on the PS3 at this point. Resident Evil 5, Tales of Xillia 2, and a few others will be the last big games on the PS3.Ah Wii U ports keeping the PS3 alive is certainly a possibility. On the other hand this depends on the level of Wii U support to begin with. And by support I probably interpreted the question wrong to mean 200k+ sellers.
Haven't we learned anything after 18 years? (where's Pac-Man when we need him?)

Famitsu Top 30 (Feb 21,2011 - Sep 16,2012) **
Software Sales - Third Party

PS3 11,726,742
3DS 7,039,383
NDS 2,136,240
Wii 1,996,688
----------------------

PlayStation 3 11,726,742
Nintendo Family 11,172,311

**Since the 3DS launched

Japanese publishers got what they wanted: a PlayStation console generating a significant amount of revenue.Historically they don't tend to play with food.

Wii U is similar in power and price to the PS3.The difference is that the PS3 enjoys the highest attach rate in the japanese market,while its installed base is approaching 9 million.So, Wii U can't compete with the PS3 in the software market.

New consoles are expected in 2014 from whom?
A preview of Sony Q2 (Jan – Sep)'12

PS3/PS2 ~8 m

360 ~4 m

Wii ~ 2 m

Why do you think Sony is still investing so much money in the PS3?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Japanese publishers got what they wanted: a PlayStation console generating a significant amount of revenue.Historically they don't tend to play with food.

Wii U is similar in power and price to the PS3.The difference is that the PS3 enjoys the highest attach rate in the japanese market,while its installed base is approaching 9 million.So, Wii U can't compete with the PS3 in the software market.

?

Japanese publishers got that after force feeding the market for 4 years and seeing many franchises undergoing significant declines from the PS2.

Also by your logic there is never any compelling reason for 3rd parties to move on to different hardware. By your logic 3rd parties would have never left the PS2 and would never have left DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

I expect ~ 15 m in 2012.The PS3 has a few good years left in it.

Another post full of PS3 magic and fantasy. This is one funny part though.

PS3 software until the end of September will be less than 7 million. How many miracles will have to happen for it to sell additional 8+ million in 3 months. I guess every big PS3 game will become a million seller.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Another post full of PS3 magic and fantasy. This is one funny part though.

PS3 software until the end of September will be less than 7 million. How many miracles will have to happen for it to sell additional 8+ million in 3 months. I guess every big PS3 game will become a million seller.

PS3 is the FUCKIN ALPHA MALE. Every argument against it is invalid. Remember.

Laguna

Banned
I'd be pretty sure 3ds would beat ps3

^^Likely. What´s really interesting about this comparison is that a system with no userbase and a rather bad period after launch (3DS: aka Nintendo going 3rd party) is beeing compared with PS3 that already had a ~8m userbase. With 3DS software outselling PS3s cumulated software sales in that timeframe.

I think PS3 peaked last year (2011) and this year is the last chance to top it. Last year PS3 had good selling games like MH3rdHD, FFXIII-2, a surprisingely successful ToXilia.

the successful One Piece Musou (800k-900k) [edit 2012 title].

This year (2012) we already saw declines for some yearly released franchises. It has ToXilia2 (which probably won´t sell as much as its predecessor) and while RE5 sold a lot when combining every PS3 edition I doubt RE6s 2012 sales will be as big as last years FFXIII-2.

Next year the decline will be even more apparent due to a competing console with WiiU since Nintendo stopped supporting Wii in 2010. There aren´t alot informations available but I doubt a MMO like FFXIV will sell alot. But with games like MGRising, Yakuza5 and FFXIII-3 maybe even MGS:GZ at least it won´t be looking that bad software sales-wise but there´ll be a decline to 2009/2010 software numbers, while hardware-sales could be hit even harder.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
They should both come in 2013. PS4 was rumored for early 2014, and 720 was supposedly having manufacturing difficulties that would push it into 2014. Still expect them both in 2013, because they're not that stupid.

With the market declining so rapidly this year and possibly next I don't think at least one of the other 2 won't go for a holiday 2013 release.

Celine

@Parmenides
And what does the whole picture (including Sony und Nintendo 1st/2nd party games) look like?
He wanted to highlight third-party sales so your question isn't meaningful.
I would ask him how was third-party split for the "Nintendo Family" since Wii third-party support with a few exception (DQX,Taiko) is dead and same is true for DS which was quickly replaced by 3DS.
PS3 is in a different part of its lifecycle compared to 3DS so it isn't surprising that it had better third-party sales, as it isn't surprising that Nintendo games compromise a good chunk of a Nintendo a system software LTD especially near the launch.
Will PS3 third-party game sales be better than 3DS in 2013? and in 2014?

Spiegel

^^Likely. What´s really interesting about this comparison is that a system with no userbase and a rather bad period after launch (3DS: aka Nintendo going 3rd party) is beeing compared with PS3 that already had a ~8m userbase. With 3DS software outselling PS3s cumulated software sales in that timeframe.

I think PS3 peaked last year (2011) and this year is the last chance to top it. Last year PS3 had good selling games like MH3rdHD, FFXIII-2, a surprisingely successful ToXilia and an incredicle successful One Piece Musou (800k-900k).

This year (2012) we already saw declines for some yearly released franchises. It has ToXilia2 (which probably won´t sell as much as its predecessor) and while RE5 sold a lot when combining every PS3 edition I doubt RE6s 2012 sales will be as big as last years FFXIII-2.

Next year the decline will be even more apparent due to a competing console with WiiU since Nintendo stopped supporting Wii in 2010. There aren´t alot informations available but I doubt a MMO like FFXIV will sell alot. But with games like MGRising, Yakuza5 and FFXIII-3 maybe even MGS:GZ at least it won´t be looking that bad software sales-wise but there´ll be a decline to 2009/2010 software numbers, while hardware-sales could be hit even harder.

The incredible successful One Piece Musou was released 6 months ago

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There is no reason for japanese publishers to abandon the Ps3 - especially for WiiU. It will take years for WiiU to sell nearly as much Third Party software as the Ps3 does, and with WiiU publishers have even more reason to keep developing for PS3/WiiU kinda specs. More casual oriented console titles of course will more benefit from the WiiU/Nintendo demographic and there will be some key exclusive titles (as always)...but no big japanese publisher can afford dropping PS3 support, Konami, SE, Capcom and Co. all sell their biggest console titles on PS3.

PS4 and the next Xbox will have a difficult time competing against WiiU (PS3) in Japan - imo.

cw_sasuke

PS3 will do okay, its not getting pricecuts nor a new system seller.

The installed base is already there to support big Third Party releases ala RE6, MGS Ground Zero and Co. - so everything they get now is an extra but wont make a big difference.

A.E Suggs

No one said that no way was it going to pass up anything like tekken, mvc3 or sf4. Who told you this because I've never heard it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
PS3 of 2013 will be PSP of 2012 but not with so extreme decline. It depends on the success or not of Wii U and if 3DS manages to take off.

Honestly I think the PS3 will lose most of its base games (not the hits nor multiplatform games that will also be big in the west, but the core of the smaller titles) to the 3DS next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
PS3 of 2013 will be PSP of 2012 but not with so extreme decline. It depends on the success or not of Wii U and if 3DS manages to take off.
Yeah, i can see that happening.

Honestly I think the PS3 will lose most of its base games (not the hits nor multiplatform games that will also be big in the west, but the core of the smaller titles) to the 3DS next year.
I think it depends on what the publishers are going for. Many of the smaller titles could be done for PSP/DS only for example, but that didnt happen. EDIT: Or to put it differently, even if the PSP/DS excisted, not every smaller title went there.

CrisKre

Ps3 sales in Japan have been decent at best throughout the years. It amassed a big enough userbase where you can see the occasional hit, but trying to paint it as some sort of third party haven is missguided to say the least.
With weekly sales roughly four times larger for the 3ds than the ps3, and where both systems stand on their respective life cycles, 3ds is a much safer gamble for third parties going about deciding their future investments. We have to see where Wii u falls in on this equation, but to suggest companies only look at userbase when deciding where to invest and disregard other factors like life cycles of systems and future rerelease options is flat out false.

It's Parmenides, his posts are some of the most useful exhibits to illustrate how easy it is to misuse statistics. Best to laugh at them and just move on.

Oh I know. I don't even have to read the entire posts to know exactly what the hypothesis is going to be. There hasn't been a single change in the years I've been reading this forum.

cw_sasuke

Ps3 sales in Japan have been decent at best throughout the years. It amassed a big enough userbase where you can see the occasional hit, but trying to paint it as some sort of third party haven is missguided to say the least.
With weekly sales roughly four times larger for the 3ds than the ps3, and where both systems stand on their respective life cycles, 3ds is a much safer gamble for third parties going about deciding their future investments. We have to see where Wii u falls in on this equation, but to suggest companies only look at userbase when deciding where to invest and disregard other factors like life cycles of systems and future rerelease options is flat out false.

There are not many Third parties who can ignore western sales for their titles, so when deciding which system to support we also have to see how 3DS third party titles performed in western markets so far. Especially for higher budget titles i dont see the 3DS being really a competition for a PS3 experience....Vita and WiiU are more likely to attract the Ps3 userbase.

CrisKre

There are not many Third parties who can ignore western sales for their titles, so when deciding which system to support we also have to see how 3DS third party titles performed in western markets so far. Especially for higher budget titles i dont see the 3DS being really a competition for a PS3 experience....Vita and WiiU are more likely to attract the Ps3 userbase.
many of the third party games ARE japanese centric. And i suspect that outside of a notable few franchises many third party japanese games dont see a very auspicious prospect these days in the west. Wether we like it or not, japanese development is becoming more and more japanese market centric every passing month.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

At this point, it's far more likely 3DS can attract part of the PS3 userbase. Vita is dying an horrible death everywhere.

P.S. Do we know lineups for the first / second Holidays for Xbox, 360, Dreamcast? I have a bad sensation.

PS3 is quite a bit down on last year and falling behind further each week. Sure it will have a decent finish to the year with a few big software releases but then it has the wii U to compete with. I think it will drop off quite a bit next year in HW.

3rd parties will continue to support it but it's on the downhill slope now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, exageration apart, I think that it's true that PS3 is, up to now, the best place for a lot of third parties developers/products in Japan. It is now able (after a long wait, at least three years and a half imho) to sell well a lot of classic products from third parties (Tales of, PES, fighting games, Resident Evil, Mosou whatever and so on) and I thknk that it will continue to see support for all 2013 at least. I think that compare it to the PSP of 2012 is a little bit too "early", because I think that PS3 will be similar to the actual situation of PSP only in 2014 after the introduction of PS4 (that I think will happen in Japan for Christmas 2013).

And I think that is right also to foresee some doubts about Wii U support compared to the PS3 one for 2013, especially because as I said PS3 is now a safe bet for a lot of Japanese brands.

At the same time, I think that it could be smart for Japanese publisher to look at the Wii U for some of their multiplatform titles that have been developed for years for PS360, especially for those products that in the West sell poorly. I mean: putting a game on PS3 and Wii U could be now way better than putting it on PS3 and 360. I know that some game, that has a little bit of potential for the western market could not miss the 360 version, but there are few Japanese games that sell really well in the US (where 360 is strong up to now), so I thknk that, considering that apart UK the Xbox is not so hot neither in PAL territories, probably could be a better fit for their products to hit PS3 and Wii U. For this reason I'm surprised by the lack of a Wii U version for Dragon's Dogma 2, for instance, considering how bad it sold in the US and how good the first episode sold in Japan.

Tecmo-Koei, with NG3, Hokuto2 and Warriors Orochi and Romance of 3 Kingdoms, probably shows this intention. I will be surprised if the already announced (without platform) Samurai Warriors 4 will not hit the Wii U, for example.

Obviously, there is also the 3DS into this discussion: let's see if, as I think, PS3 and 3DS will be the focus for third parties in 2013 in Japan.

Dantis

No one said that no way was it going to pass up anything like tekken, mvc3 or sf4. Who told you this because I've never heard it.

Silly people on silly forums kept touting it as the best-selling fighter of the generation, because of its solid opening.

Michan

Sorry for the random question, but I feel this is probably a good place to ask.

Does anybody know when Wii U will be available to reserve? Bic Camera, Yodobashi Camera, and Amazon all seem not to be accepting pre-orders.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that's supposed to be favorable to the PS3 considering the 3DS started that timeline at zero units.
Also considering PS3 got many times the releases 3DS did over that stretch. A thousand games each selling one copy is still more than a hundred games each selling 9 copies.

Well, exageration apart, I think that it's true that PS3 is, up to now, the best place for a lot of third parties developers/products in Japan. It is now able (after a long wait, at least three years and a half imho) to sell well a lot of classic products from third parties (Tales of, PES, fighting games, Resident Evil, Mosou whatever and so on) and I thknk that it will continue to see support for all 2013 at least. I think that compare it to the PSP of 2012 is a little bit too "early", because I think that PS3 will be similar to the actual situation of PSP only in 2014 after the introduction of PS4 (that I think will happen in Japan for Christmas 2013)

I thought it has always been able...?

Road

Notable October releases.

As usual, suggest which ones to predict or others that aren't on this list.

10/04 Resident Evil 6 (PS3, 360)
10/04 F1 2012 (PS3, 360)
10/04 Sol Trigger (PSP)
10/04 Summon Night 3 (PSP)
10/04 Winning Eleven 2013 (PS3)
10/11 Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS)
10/11 Project X Zone (3DS)
10/11 Tokitowa (PS3)
10/18 Little Battlers eXperience W (PSP, PSV)
10/18 The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution (PSV)
10/18 FIFA 13 (PS3, 360, PSP)
10/25 Borderlands 2 (PS3, 360)
10/25 Dark Souls (w/Artorias of the Abyss) (PS3)
10/25 Idolmaster: Shiny Festa - FN / GT/ HS (PSP)
10/25 Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3, 360)
10/25 AKB48+Me (3DS)
10/25 Street Fighter X Tekken (PSV)

Notable October releases.

As usual, suggest which ones to predict or others that aren't on this list.

10/04 Resident Evil 6 (PS3, 360)
10/04 F1 2012 (PS3, 360)
10/04 Sol Trigger (PSP)
10/04 Summon Night 3 (PSP)
10/04 Winning Eleven 2013 (PS3)
10/11 Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (3DS)
10/11 Project X Zone (3DS)
10/11 Tokitowa (PS3)
10/18 Little Battlers eXperience W (PSP, PSV)
10/18 The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution (PSV)
10/18 FIFA 13 (PS3, 360, PSP)
10/25 Borderlands 2 (PS3, 360)
10/25 Dark Souls (w/Artorias of the Abyss) (PS3)
10/25 Idolmaster: Shiny Festa - FN / GT/ HS (PSP)
10/25 Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3, 360)
10/25 AKB48+Me (3DS)
10/25 Street Fighter X Tekken (PSV)

Not many releases on 3DS this month, and although I must admit I am not familiar with those titles, I am expecting a drop in 3DS hardware sales compared to previous months, before November and December.

BTW, I would pick:

Bravely default
Project X Zone
Resident evil 6
Street fighter X Tekken
Little battlers eXperience
Borderlands 2
ZOE

Top Bottom