• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10 - 16 July

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
nfreakct said:
You must mean September 28th.

180px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Diamond_Japanese_Boxart.jpg

180px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Diamond_Japanese_Boxart.jpg
Remind me to short the Nikkei by Sept 29th

Pureauthor said:
What's the highest non-launch PS2 sales week?
Going by Famitsu, 563,636 the week of... no, wait, that's one of the periods where two weeks are added together.

*reexamines*
Well, I don't see any single weeks greater than half of that, and none of the othre two week totals are that large, so it would probably be one of those weeks. January 24, 2001 or January 31, 2001 with ~300K.

Moor-Angol said:
Ultraman + LocoRoco + Tekken DR < Battle Stadium D.O.N.

same userbase...

you need more comment? :D

That japanese kids people really like anime liscensed games? I could probably take some gaf ds darlings and make a similar equation involving brain training. :D

New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing, the Brain Games and the Nintendo DS itself have changed the market of the interactive entertainment in Japan.
The change exists even in USA and Europe, but in a smaller dimension.

Can't wait for Wii, really. I wanna see what Nintendo can do with his new Home system.

argon

Unbelievable numbers. I know we say that almost every week, but then again the numbers keep blowing us away. 262,000 total units sold during the launch of a new color of a handheld system in the middle of summer, with lines 100+ strong?

...and Pokemon hasn't even hit yet.

The sustained sales numbers of Mario are evidence to me that the "Brain Training" non-gamer demographic is trying out the game, which is expanding the market. It will be interesting to see if Final Fantasy III has a similar drop-off rate as its predecessors, or a more sustained sales rate similar to NSMB (which may indicate it is selling to the new market of non-gamers).

edit: changed 1st paragraph for clarification on DS units.

cvxfreak

It's cumulative DS sales of all colors for the week, not just pink. But I expect pink to take up 40 - 60% of the total.

Bo130

Top 10 according to Famitsu,

1. New Super Mario Bros.
2. Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi
3. Brain Training 2
4. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 13 (PS2)
5. Battle Stadium D.O.N (PS2)
6. Brain Training
7. Bleach: Heat the Soul 3
8. English Training
9. Persona 3
10. Battle Stadium D.O.N (GC)

Better be waiting for Media Create in some hours time, though.

Most amazing, Iwata said in Januar 2006, that "probably", the Nintendo DS would have reached the 10 millions mark at the and of the same year, in Japan.

Look at the numbers: NOW the DS is reaching the 10 millions mark.

Insane. Absolutely insane.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Em, like this I think there's a chance D/P will break a million in one week, I mean NSMB did what? 900K?
And as soon as the numbers get here I want a pacman chart!

cvxfreak

KimiSan said:
Em, like this I think there's a chance D/P will break a million in one week, I mean NSMB did what? 900K?
And as soon as the numbers get here I want a pacman chart!

It will sell beyond 1 Million its first week. Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen all sold 1 Million their first week.

Despite the DS/Lite's ridiculous sales #s, I find it somewhat impressive the PSP is selling as well as it is. 35,000 in a week is quite healthy, especially in the middle of the summer battling against the most unstoppable force since Godzilla.

It'd be really interesting to see what a redesign with improvements to battery life and load times coupled with a lower price could do for the PSP. The Nintendo fanboy in me hope that never happens, but the PSP isn't *dead* yet.

Bo130 said:
Top 10 according to Famitsu,

1. New Super Mario Bros.
2. Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi
3. Brain Training 2
4. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 13 (PS2)
5. Battle Stadium D.O.N (PS2)
6. Brain Training
7. Bleach: Heat the Soul 3
8. English Training
9. Persona 3
10. Battle Stadium D.O.N (GC)

Better be waiting for Media Create in some hours time, though.

No Animal Crossing in the top 10?! I expect it to be back in there next week though

Grampasso

Forgotten Ancient said:
Despite the DS/Lite's ridiculous sales #s, I find it somewhat impressive the PSP is selling as well as it is. 35,000 in a week is quite healthy, especially in the middle of the summer battling against the most unstoppable force since Godzilla.

It'd be really interesting to see what a redesign with improvements to battery life and load times coupled with a lower price could do for the PSP. The Nintendo fanboy in me hope that never happens, but the PSP isn't *dead* yet.
You forgot to mention the appealing software =) PSP is definitely selling for its multimedia features, no doubt about that

That's a dissapointment for Bomberman Land. I was hoping it would be the first one to come overseas. Great numbers for Super Mario and Bleach 3 while it looks like Animal Crossing is finally starting to fade out.

Doogdogg

parathod said:
That's a dissapointment for Bomberman Land. I was hoping it would be the first one to come overseas. Great numbers for Super Mario and Bleach 3 while it looks like Animal Crossing is finally starting to fade out.

I think 35k is its biggest week in sometime now. it's already 3 million going by famitsu data.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
LanceStern said:
The DS is absolutely CRAZY right now, absolutely CRAZY.

It's mind-boggingly what it's doing, AND NINTENDO STILL HASN"T RELEASED POKEMON YET.

And not to be overlooked, PSP is still doing very nicely in Japan. Tho DS is lambasting it, the PSP has been keeping a consistently nice pace in Japan for a while now, selling about 110 - 120k a month. Hm... maybe a little worse than "ok" but it's still up there.

And do you guys think New Super Mario Bros. can outsell Brain Age and Animal Crossing? The game DID show slow down in the past weeks and was boosted because of those new DS Lites, but even if it does slow down substantially, it should hang around the Top 10 for a long time (a la the unstoppable ANimal Crossing).

And who is picking up those Brain Age 2 games? It should not be selling so much at this long in the race. 72,000? There's no way NSMB could catch up if they keep up these strong legs, since NSMB (like ACWW) will eventually drop to about 30,000 a week while BA2 just keeps on with it's 50-70,000

Amazing.
There is no way that NSMB drop to about 30k a week, it will sell +50k till holiday season and then its sales will rise to +150k. If anyone interested I am ready to make a bet on this:
At the end of the year, NSMB will be the second best selling DS game just below Pokemon D/P.

Bo130

flipping_heck said:
No Animal Crossing in the top 10?! I expect it to be back in there next week though

Well, according to our current data both ACWW, D.O.N. and Bleach 3 did ~35.000. There's still a chance for ACWW, IMO. Wait for tonight.

KINGMOKU

Doogdogg said:
lol i believe 262k is bigger than psp launch. damn thats just insane. it's freakin christmas in july.
Yes, and by a large margin;

PSP LAUNCH-171,250(Alos its largest week ever)

The DS has beaten that 18 times throughout its lifespan..

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Woweeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome DSL sales and equally awesome NSMB sales. It seems Mario will regain his throne as Japan's best selling series. :D

And AC got a nice spike too!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Bo130 said:
Well, according to our current data both ACWW, D.O.N. and Bleach 3 did ~35.000. There's still a chance for ACWW, IMO. Wait for tonight.
According to the numbers we have it's most likely in there, as Persona 3 did considerably worse than ACWW.

Bo130

Indeed seem to be at spot 10 for the second week in a row. It's just barely hanging in there... But, it got released over a half year ago, soo.. :D

Juice

moku said:

The DS has beaten that 18 times throughout its lifespan..

18 Easters in less than two years in a country that doesn't celebrate it.

Weird.

Doogdogg said:
lol i believe 262k is bigger than psp launch. damn thats just insane. it's freakin christmas in july.
Well, PSP launch was quite supply constrained. PSP hasn't yet had a 200+K week, though.

moku said:

If we're comparing apples to apples, Media Create has PSP's launch week as 160,019. This was topped the week of December 19, 2005 with 161,332.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
cvxfreak said:
It will sell beyond 1 Million its first week. Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen all sold 1 Million their first week.
Wasn't the userbase in all of these bigger though? GS even had the old gameboy's userbase.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, PSP launch was quite supply constrained. PSP hasn't yet had a 200+K week, though.
I wanted to post this text below in a thread that was just locked. As I spent quite a long time to write my answer, I'll post it here, in a sales thread where it fits well.

The locked thread was debating whereas the PSP should be considered as a success or not. My contribution is to say the future does not look very bright for the PSP, for several reasons.

1st reason is gamers. Next gen is about to start (no offense to the x360) and from this autumn Sony won't make a lot of PSP sales on gamers, who will more likely put their money on the x360, Wii and PS3.

2nd reason is geeks. The day Microsoft releases its handheld, geeks will forget about the PSP, which is not that convenient to listen to music or watch movies anyway. The PSP looks bigger now than it used to when it launched. It's still a beautiful device but it shows its age IMO. Sony would need to launch a smaller version but they'll have enough things to do with the magnificient yet controversial PS3. They won't invest time, ressources and media presence to promote a PSP redesign for a long time to come because of the PS3.

3rd reason is non gamers. Sony is just thinking about them too late. Not only the non game hype and library are to be found on the DS Lite, but without a touchscreen, the possibilities will be very limited anyway.

4th reason is children. GBA users are just waiting for a reason to make the transition to a new handheld, and this reason will be the new Pokemon. It's such a phenomena. Besides parents won't buy a PSP to their children. It looks too techy/fragile, with violent games vs the DS Lite and its Nintendogs/education software.

As you can see when you look at these different audiences, and when you envision the hardware competition that is coming... one can wonder if Sony will not have a lot of trouble to sustain the growth of its PSP.

Amir0x

Banned
Error2k4 said:
holy **** 22,000 only for P3? hahaha bomba total.

tb-cry.jpeg

Xenosaga III celebrates though. With alcohol! Look, it's raining on momo's see-through shirt!

cvxfreak said:
Are XIII and P3 supposed to be in competition?

Not really... just a sort of on going forum joke where something as terrible as Xenosaga III outsells something like P3... the only comparrison is that they're both late cycle PS2 RPGs.

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
To expand on this, Ruby and Sapphire came out in Japan November 2002. DS+DSL hardware is now about where GBA+GBASP was April 2003, and at current rates will gain quite a few months relative to GBA between now and Diamond/Pearl's release.

If FFIII and the Jet Black DS are as popular as I think they will be, then perhaps the DS/L fanbase can match the fanbase of the GBA when FireRed/LeafGreen came out. Ironically perhaps the releases of D/P themselves will secure that.

koam

The attach rates for games like AC and NSMB are incredible in japan. When you have games that are reaching the 3 million mark and your total units are still under 10 million, that's just mind boggling.

ioi

Banned
DS vs PS2 hardware:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=PS2&type=2

New SMB vs DQ VIII:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Dragon+Quest+VIII

Animal Crossing vs FF XII (sorry Duckroll, Jonnyram et al ;-) )

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World&name2=Final+Fantasy+XII

Top sellers of 2006 so far:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php

1 Brain Training 2 DS Nintendo 2,651,500 (3,110,000)
2 New Super Mario Bros DS Nintendo 2,466,500
3 Final Fantasy XII PS2 Square 2,294,750
4 Animal Crossing: Wild World DS Nintendo 1,762,500 (3,218,500)
5 Brain Training DS Nintendo 1,545,000 (2,824,500)
6 English Training DS Nintendo 1,343,500
7 World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 PS2 Konami 1,030,500
8 Tetris DS DS Nintendo 804,500
9 Mario Kart DS DS Nintendo 717,000 (1,591,000)
10 Pokemon Ranger DS Nintendo 671,500

Winning Eleven 10 becomes possibly the PS2's last million seller.

Burnst

ioi said:
VGCharts.org has been updated with all the latest data / funky graphs etc etc etc.

I will produce some analyses / comparisons shortly, feel free to do your own if you desire!!

To get you started, New SMB has just posted the second highest week 9 on record, only Pokemon G/S sold more.
http://www.vgcharts.org/japwk.php?week=9
Seems like a lot of Nintendo titles have the potential to get in the Japanese All Time Totals top 5 before the end of their lifespan..

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Hypothetical:

Could the Nintendo DS / DSL equal the sales of the GBA LTD by the end of the Christmas season this year? It's 10 million vs. 16.5 million.

Here are some current trends:

a.) GBA sales have all but stopped.
b.) DS sells at least 150,000 units per week in Japan despite it being the Summer season.
c.) The DS has posted incredible numbers in the month of December - twice!
d.) Each new color creates a two week spike in hardware sales (Black in September)
e.) The sales of Pokemon games are not even up for debate. 5 million is a guarentee.
f.) The DS has no where to go but up for the rest of the year.

So there are now around 20 weeks left for the remainder of the year, correct? With average sales of 150,000 units per week, that gives it an additional 3 million units. However, Christmas, FF III, Black DS, and Pokemon will surely push it higher.

Could we see a Nintendo Ds at over 17 million units in Japan alone by December 31, 2006?

Edit: I made a stupid error that really ****ed my results...but considering the changes...could it still do 17 million with december, pokemon, and FF III?

Top Bottom