• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

apujanata

Leonsito said:
My LTDs, let me show you them:

Code:
		Xbox360		PS3	Wii
LTD:		230581	308949	544034

Wii > 360 + PS3

It's over bitches.

544,034 of Wii sold in 3 weeks compare well with the 795,206 sold GCN in 2001 (which consist of around 13-15 weeks, starting from launch date of Sep 14, 2001).

starship said:
Does it matter at all?

It does matter, since it means that the data you base your prediction has areas that might not made your prediction come true. Of course, it is still a possibility that your prediction can still come true. Personally, I believe 5-10K is more likely than just 2K in Jan 2007.

Sales all around are great. It's nice to see the market here pick up again. Let's hope this upward swing continues!

Dragona Akehi said:
I'd like to make a little announcement.
*ahem*
STOP POSTING ****ING BULLSHIT OR PLEASE GO STRAIGHT TO BAN.
ALL PEOPLE CONTINUING TO BITCH ABOUT ZELDA SALES (WHICH HAVE A 50% ATTACH ****ING RATE THAT OTHER GAMES CAN ONLY DREAM OF) WILL GET BANNED.

That is all.

Thanks.

AniHawk said:
PSP is WAY DOWN from last year (where it almost hit 100k).
DS is also down about 80k from last year, but that's due to a supply problem and not a demand problem.
Wii sales are higher than I thought.
PS3 sales are higher than I thought.
PS2 is on its way out.

DSL, since launch has been sold out everywhere, and still is. Since DSL's launch you haven't been able to walk into a store and easily get one.
Wii and PS3 are still in their launch windows and supply constrained. Every unit they make is going to sell out for a while. WTF were you guys expecting to happen? We won't see a clear winner in the post-PS2 home game console war for quite some time.

the girl next door said:
so much for the PS3 getting slaughtered.

Why on earth would you think anyone thought this would happen? (at least this close after launch of both Wii and PS3)

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
apujanata said:
544,034 of Wii sold in 3 weeks compare well with the 795,206 sold GCN in 2001 (which consist of around 13-15 weeks, starting from launch date of Sep 14, 2001).

It does matter, since it means that the data you base your prediction has areas that might not made your prediction come true. Of course, it is still a possibility that your prediction can still come true. Personally, I believe 5-10K is more likely than just 2K in Jan 2007.
360 first holiday season was also its launch, and also I didn't talk about January sales but sales of 360 in (early) 2007 in general. I meant anyone who expects 360 to do significantly better than Xbox is just out of his mind.

And Fyi, Xbox was at almost 300k LTD at that point:
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv12-2002/00324.html

When all said and done, I don't think 360 will have much larger installed base than Xbox.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
starship said:
360 first holiday season was also its launch, and also I didn't talk about January sales but sales of 360 in (early) 2007 in general. I meant anyone who expects 360 to do significantly better than Xbox is just out of his mind.

And Fyi, Xbox was at almost 300k LTD at that point:
http://www.gfdata.de/archiv12-2002/00324.html

When all said and done, I don't think 360 will have much larger installed base than Xbox.

Will it even match Xbox's? Maybe all those JRPGs will help push it, but I'm starting to worry that the BD audience is the audience for those games and further appeal will be limited.

Strange seeing this thread so much smaller than last week's. :lol

Mr Toast

So basically PS3, Wii and DS are selling out entirely and there are shortages for each system. Is that a fair statement?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
it feels like 4 or 5 people are the only ones posting anymore. its a barren wastleand.

NintendosBooger said:
PS3 is doing very, very well considering the cost of the machine.

you have to remember that PS3 is a lot less expensive in Japan than in other regions.

Xavien

ddk_ps3 said:
DSL, since launch has been sold out everywhere, and still is. Since DSL's launch you haven't been able to walk into a store and easily get one.
Wii and PS3 are still in their launch windows and supply constrained. Every unit they make is going to sell out for a while. WTF were you guys expecting to happen? We won't see a clear winner in the post-PS2 home game console war for quite some time.

QFT, i have a friend here in the UK who tried to get DS's for his children for christmas, no dice. He had to buy one off ebay for nearly double the price :(

mj1108

Mr Toast said:
So basically PS3, Wii and DS are selling out entirely and there are shortages for each system. Is that a fair statement?

Yes, except for the fact that 2 of those launched a month ago and 1 of them launched 9 months ago.

starship

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Will it even match Xbox's? Maybe all those JRPGs will help push it, but I'm starting to worry that the BD audience is the audience for those games and further appeal will be limited.

Strange seeing this thread so much smaller than last week's. :lol
I personally don't think it will match Xbox numbers either, but about 600-700k is still a reasonable guess, not that ridiculous 2m predictions some guys here talking about. Seriously GC did about 4m and some people here think 360 will do 2m? :lol

AniHawk

The DS as a whole, going back to the DS fat has been pretty much sold out for almost an entire year. The only week I hear when it wasn't sold out was when the Wii launched.

Odysseus

Banned
starship said:
I personally don't think it will match Xbox numbers either, but about 600-700k is still a reasonable guess, not that ridiculous 2m predictions some guys here talking about. Seriously GC did about 4m and some people here think 360 will do 2m? :lol

Pssst...

600-700K would actually beat the Xbox numbers.

Mr Toast

mj1108 said:
Yes, except for the fact that 2 of those launched a month ago and 1 of them launched 9 months ago.

I thought so. :)

It would be interesting to see how many each would sell were they all in abundant supply.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-marketshare-history.gif

starship

Odysseus said:
Pssst...

600-700K would actually beat the Xbox numbers.
I know, I think if someone predicts 600-700k, its still a reasonable guess (there is a possibility) although I personally don't think it will happen.

Odysseus

Banned
starship said:
I know, I think if someone predicts 600-700k, its still a reasonable guess (there is a possibility) although I personally don't think it will happen.

I think it will scratch and claw its way to Xbox 1's numbers and maybe inch past it. But that's about it.

donny2112

JPNHandhelds-5.png

It looks like we've reached the point where Nintendo's 1.5 million for December falls well short of last year. DS is 90K behind for this week last year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it stagnate at 300K for the rest of December due to the restricted shipments.

JPNConsoles.png

Brak

NintendosBooger said:
PS3 is doing very, very well considering the cost of the machine.
Can we please throw this bullshit argument out. If the PS3 was the exact same as the Wii but cost twice as much, THEN you could be impressed with its performance considering its price.

Sony chose to make the PS3 a tehcnical powerhouse with BluRay, Cell, etc..., and all of that is part of the price. The PS3 couldn't exist at a lower price so how can we be impresed with its performance other than strictly sales. Why do the PS3, and 360 in NPD threads, get to have this excuse for their poor performance.

Does anybody say that the Gamecube did very, very well considering it was missing DVD playback and had poor third party support? NO, you look at the sales figures and Gamecube stunk up the joint despite being a great little console.

If the Wii performed poorly, would you be able to get away with saying "The Wii did great considering the poor visuals and lack of online infrastructure." You would be called a fool, and rightly so. The numbers are the only thing that matters.

Odysseus

Banned
Brak said:
Can we please throw this bullshit argument out. If the PS3 was the exact same as the Wii but cost twice as much, THEN you could be impressed with its performance considering its price.

Sony chose to make the PS3 a tehcnical powerhouse with BluRay, Cell, etc..., and all of that is part of the price. The PS3 couldn't exist at a lower price so how can we be impresed with its performance other than strictly sales. Why do the PS3, and 360 in NPD threads, get to have this excuse for their poor performance.

Does anybody say that the Gamecube did very, very well considering it was missing DVD playback and had poor third party support? NO, you look at the sales figures and Gamecube stunk up the joint despite being a great little console.

If the Wii performed poorly, would you be able to get away with saying "The Wii did great considering the poor visuals and lack of online infrastructure." You would be called a fool, and rightly so. The numbers are the only thing that matters.

You could have just said "let's see what happens once we get outside of the launch period." Really, that's all that can be said right now. ;)

Same goes for the other guy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Donny could would you consider showing a line graph of LTDs over time? I'd like to see how quickly the DS got separation over the PSP, how far away from the GBA it is, and then in the other one I'd like to see how quickly the 360 diminishes to < 10%.

Brak

Odysseus said:
You could have just said "let's see what happens once we get outside of the launch period." Really, that's all that can be said right now. ;)

Well yeah, but that argument has been getting a lot of mileage in regards to the 360 in NA too.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't think the PS3 is doing badly at all. They are selling everything they can ship and rightly so.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Odysseus said:

He actually makes a convincing point, basically saying that excuses suck.

*shrug*

Odysseus

Banned
PantherLotus said:
He actually makes a convincing point, basically saying that excuses suck.

*shrug*

Excuses do suck, my point is that now's not the time to be commenting either way. Both consoles are still in the "sell as many as they can ship" mode. Excuses and rebuttals and stuff come later.

starship

gamergirly said:
Well, if sales do not favor your system, you typically stay away from the thread
And if sales do favor your system of choice, you make a thread about predicting sales numbers for next week. :lol :lol

Yamauchi

Banned
Odysseus said:
Excuses do suck, my point is that now's not the time to be commenting either way. Both consoles are still in the "sell as many as they can ship" mode. Excuses and rebuttals and stuff come later.
Exactly. Nothing really can be said about the Wii/PS3 battle in Japan at this point.

What can be said is that the Wii seems to be doing a heck of a lot better than the GCN, but it's all still carrying over from the launch. The GCN was selling about the same amount during the same week of it's launch year. Let's hope Nintendo can keep the momentum going into the new year.

Busaiku

Yamauchi said:
Exactly. Nothing really can be said about the Wii/PS3 battle in Japan at this point.

What can be said is that the Wii seems to be doing a heck of a lot better than the GCN, but it's all still carrying over from the launch. The GCN was selling about the same amount during the same week of it's launch year. Let's hope Nintendo can keep the momentum going into the new year.
Actually, wasn't the GCN only selling about 30k-40k for the few weeks after launch in JPN? Also the fact that it had not been selling out, after selling what it did. Although I'm not sure whether or not those GCN numbers are correct or not (using VGCharts), so I'm kind of ignorant as to the matters of the GCN launch.
And I'm also assuming GCN software sales were much lower.

Yamauchi

Banned
Busaiku said:
Actually, wasn't the GCN only selling about 30k-40k for the few weeks after launch in JPN? Also the fact that it had not been selling out, after selling what it did. Although I'm not sure whether or not those GCN numbers are correct or not (using VGCharts), so I'm kind of ignorant as to the matters of the GCN launch.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant during the same week in regards to the calender year (2nd full week of Dec), not the third week after launch. But yes, you're right. The GCN didn't sell well except for a few select weeks after its launch.

starship

Busaiku said:
We can't say anything at this point. GC launched in a non holiday period of time so we can't compare its sales with the Wii sales week by week easily. At this point all we can say is the demand for the Wii is a lot higher than its supply and if Nintendo could ship more units, its sales would be a lot higher than what it is now. But we can't compare its sales with GC sales atm.

cvxfreak

In case Bebpo was wondering, Bleach Wii > all 3rd party 360 games. No WEX or EDF3.

FFIII is only one slot below Blue Dragon too. Might've sold like 15K this week.

According to Dengeki:

PS3: 308K
PS3 software: 264K

:lol

apujanata

starship said:
We can't say anything at this point. GC launched in a non holiday period of time so we can't compare its sales with the Wii sales week by week easily. At this point all we can say is the demand for the Wii is a lot higher than its supply and if Nintendo could ship more units, its sales would be a lot higher than what it is now. But we can't compare its sales with GC sales atm.

If Wii can sell more in 2006 than what GCN managed in 2002, despite GCN launch in mid Sep while Wii launched in Nov end, can we agree that Wii has a more successfull launch in Japan (compared to GCN) ?

starship

apujanata said:
If Wii can sell more in 2006 than what GCN managed in 2002, despite GCN launch in mid Sep while Wii launched in Nov end, can we agree that Wii has a more successfull launch in Japan (compared to GCN) ?
Yes but I don't think it will happen. GC did about 900k-1m units in 2001.
Oh and I think you meant in 2001 since GC launched in 2001.

Parl

OH NOES NON-GAMERS ENTERING THE MARKET STEALING OUR GAMES

Narrow game/marketing variety - smaller market. Broad game/marketing variety - bigger market.

Before, the market catered for me and you. Now, it's catering for me, you and them. More gamers, more games.

But get this. I'd say that they are more likely to jump over to playing more traditional videogames than me and you are to jump over to playing more new market games (instead of traditional videogames).

This means that not only has the market expanded, but there will probably end up being more demand for more traditional games in the future than there is now and was several year ago. If the type of games you like are what new gamers will like tomorrow, then the demand for games you like will go up and the supply of games you like will increase.

There's the argument that developers will shift focus to making games for them instead of me and you. But that's running under the assumption that and expanded market doesnt mean and expanded amount of development muscle. An assumption I don't want to make, and neither should you.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
We need to all stop agreeing about there really being nothing to talk about or we won't have anything to talk about.

I'll re-stir the pot a little

Code:
[B][U]Market Share for 360[/U][/B]
December 10th:	24.05%		( -0.81% )
December 17th:	21.28%	 	( -2.77% )

[B][U]Market Share for PS3[/U][/B]
December 10th:	26.83%		( +0.61% )
December 17th:	28.51%	 	( +1.68% )

[B][U]Market Share for Wii[/U][/B]
December 10th:	49.12%		( +0.21% )
December 17th:	50.21% 		( +1.09% )

Based on Total Sales for each. Started tracking after December 3rd (otherwise 360's would look like -75%).

Top Bottom