• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

santouras said:
Man, going to be some very low Wii sales this week. Really hope Nintendo have got enough of those things ready for the impending holiday stampede. Its going to be ugly in all territories

It's going to be really crazy this Christmas. The DS Lite was gone from retail shelves for a long period last year. I don't see how they'd even fair as well with supply of the Wii.

Brofist

Dave Long said:
Wow, I got on the first page. Wii Play and Sports numbers are lower again. Probably a low shipping week for Wii consoles.

For what it's worth they are available at every store I've been to as of late, and even online on amazon japan they are readily available. I don't think there is any shortage.

botticus said:
I'd love it if it did, but since the third GBA game hasn't (and presumably won't at this point) left Japan, I'm not holding my breath.

True, but they DID just release Summon Night 2 in November or so of 2006, right at the end of the GBA's new-releases life and six months after Summon Night 1, so... well, six months after that, a new GBA game in May 2007? Atlus evidently agreed with everyone else that the GBA market was dead, all evidence (such as the great lineup that was released in 2006 on the platform) to the contrary. The DS isn't dead. Thus it's still possible... though I have no idea how well the two GBA games released here sold. I still see copies of them around, so it wasn't a sellout clearly... not surprising that late in the GBA's cycle, but for games this good it'd have been nice to see them get more recognition. And US releases in the series. :)

Oh well... even if it's unlikely, it's not totally hopeless. There are plenty of DS and Wii games coming out here I wouldn't have expected to see released in the US... (though on another note it's sad that Goemon DS isn't one of them)

(hah! complete the little minigame on the DS game's site and it gives you some wallpaper links... :))

Whoaness

Banned
tribal24 said:
one of the longest freaking demoes i have ever played in a good way^^

Especially when you clear everything but the objective for one country, and then switch countries and clear everything else. Man the game is so awesome. Give me Bladestorm English demo so I can play with items. >_<

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
muramura said:
I`m not too sure about that actually. I`m in Fukuoka, and wii`s are available just about everywhere. I could go pick one up right now if I wanted to.

Hmm...Vinnk's latest reports seem to be saying that Wii's are more available now than before.

Is it possible demand is decreasing a bit?

Never thought I'd see the day Wii Sports getting beaten by Wii Play. Good Bladestorm numbers, relatively speaking. Oh and the less DS handhelds are sold now, the more are going to be sold come Christmas season, every single DS will be sold during that time.

Vinnk

muramura said:
I`m not too sure about that actually. I`m in Fukuoka, and wii`s are available just about everywhere. I could go pick one up right now if I wanted to.

I'll have to agree. i didn't go this week yet to check, but last week if I wanted too I could get a Wii pretty easy. Some stores were sold ount but the ones that had them had a few of them. Much more than usual.

Same with the DS. There is not the starving demand for it right now. Not that 100k a week is poor sales by any means.

ethelred

botticus said:
I'd love it if it did, but since the third GBA game hasn't (and presumably won't at this point) left Japan, I'm not holding my breath.

The third GBA Summon Night was released in December 2005 in Japan... we got the first one in the US in late 2006, the second one end of 2006. Would've taken till mid 2007 (at the earliest) to get the third one out in the US. Doesn't seem feasible. I think it's far more likely we'll see the DS game released, but we'll see.

castle007 said:
if you take away the new releases it is number 7

Let's not resort to this, sounds too much like "Wii isn't next-gen so it doesn't count, and if you take out the 360, then PS3 is the best selling next-gen console." :lol

sphinx

the piano man
Vinnk said:
I'll have to agree. i didn't go this week yet to check, but last week if I wanted too I could get a Wii pretty easy. Some stores were sold ount but the ones that had them had a few of them. Much more than usual.

Same with the DS. There is not the starving demand for it right now. Not that 100k a week is poor sales by any means.

how can we explain the sudden lack of excitement for the wii?

why now?

Are japanese sick of waiting for big or more or better software?

sphinx said:
My guess is that tomorrow we'll witness Wii's lowest Hardware sales for a week in 2007.
Famitsu has things about 7K above Wii's lowest this year; I doubt it will be much different on MC side.

Sharp

Looks like the good times are over for Nintendo in Japan then. Can't just beat Sony by upping the shipments anymore guys!

sphinx said:

why now?

A console's not being sold out isn't really the same as a country not being excited for a console. For awhile now the Wii has been doing phenomenally in PAL regions while being readily available. That it is still at all supply constrained in the US is testimony to just how crazy it is over here; by this point consoles should be available.

JoeFu

Banned
kpop100 said:
and why would you do that?

That's like saying if we took away the Wii the PS3 is the number one current-gen system selling in Japan.

BishopLamont said:
Let's not resort to this, sounds too much like "Wii isn't next-gen so it doesn't count, and if you take out the 360, then PS3 is the best selling next-gen console." :lol

Haha, exactly what I was thinking. No need to spin Wii sports numbers, the game(nongame to some) is still selling really well.

Saitou

Banned
Vinnk said:

I'd like to know if FFCC:RoF has price collapse'd.

Also, the general status of Summon Night DS.

ethelred said:
The third GBA Summon Night was released in December 2005 in Japan... we got the first one in the US in late 2006, the second one end of 2006. Would've taken till mid 2007 (at the earliest) to get the third one out in the US. Doesn't seem feasible. I think it's far more likely we'll see the DS game released, but we'll see.

As I said. Even so though, it's too bad, because I heard that the third game was the best of the three... I liked the first one a bit more than the second, though both were great, but I'd have loved to play the third one. I blame it all on NCL deciding to kill the GBA in the US at the end of 2006... oh well. Maybe we wouldn't have gotten the third one either way. There's no such excuses for this one, though... it's a different kind of game, of course, but looks good as well.

apujanata

Saitou said:

I would like to add checking the price of Bladestorm (even though I think it should not have price collapse, since it sold almost 90% of its shipment).

Also the availability of used FFCC:RoF and Bladestorm.

Vinnk

sphinx said:

why now?

Nothing big has been released recently (Mario Party was weeks ago) and this is the normal time when console sales go down.

But this is just a lull. I think the Wii will once again be supply contrained when Smash Bros and Galaxy hit. It's the calm before the storm.

But yeah, the "oh my God! t's a Wii! I better buy it before someone else does" feeling is kinda over.

schuelma

Sharp said:
Looks like the good times are over for Nintendo in Japan then. Can't just beat Sony by upping the shipments anymore guys!

A console's not being sold out isn't really the same as a country not being excited for a console. For awhile now the Wii has been doing phenomenally in PAL regions while being readily available. That it is still at all supply constrained in the US is testimony to just how crazy it is over here; by this point consoles should be available.

True, but if it sells 50K being readily available after going months selling out at higher numbers..I think its safe to say demand has lessened a bit.

Japanese GAFers- any insight on why this may be?

apujanata

Vinnk said:

If the demand for Wii stabilize at 40K / week for slow weeks, 60K for holidays (except christmast), and 100K+ for christmas, I think it will have almost the same LTD # as PS2.

Vinnk

Saitou said:

OK, I'll add that to my list.

So far I have:

Wii
DS lite (if anyone still cares)
Summon Night

schuelma

Vinnk said:
Nothing big has been released recently (Mario Party was weeks ago) and this is the normal time when console sales go down.

But this is just a lull. I think the Wii will once again be supply contrained when Smash Bros and Galaxy hit. It's the calm before the storm.

But yeah, the "oh my God! t's a Wii! I better buy it before someone else does" feeling is kinda over.

It just seems kind of off since it went so long without any kind of a lull even when no software came out.

ethelred

Defuser said:
Bleh,Next week will be the interesting week.
Crisis Core vs Pokemon Dungeon vs Fate/Tiger

Not like we can't predict easily enough. Look for Crisis Core to be number one, but to drop rapidly in its second week. PMD will be in a solid number 2 and will retain most of its sales the following week -- though Crisis Core will start out stronger, PMD will have a much higher LTD.

For what it's worth, YSO (a huge Japanese sales tracking group) has a list of upcoming games they expect to go platinum (1 million +). Crisis Core doesn't make the list, but PMD does.

Edit: Oh, guess I might as well post their list of expectant million-sellers:

Code:
Wii  	Mario Party 8  			Nintendo  	07.07.26
NDS 	Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 	Pokemon 	07.09.13
Wii 	Super Mario Galaxy	 	Nintendo 	07.xx.xx
Wii 	Super Smash Bros. Brawl	 	Nintendo 	07.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest IX		 	Square Enix 	07.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest IV 		Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest V 			Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest VI 		Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx
Wii 	WiiFit 				Nintendo 	xx.xx.xx
PS3 	Final Fantasy XIII 		Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx

Not to say nothing else will hit that, but their list is a good starting point.

mollipen

botticus said:

A GBA game not coming our way at this point, and a DS game not coming over at this point, are two VERY different things.

d+pad

laserbeam said:
Japan they have wrapped up so they can string it along more then they can the other regions.

That's what I'm thinking. Japan is now Nintendoland with the Wii and DS, so they don't have to "make such a show" there as they do in the US or Europe, especially in the lead up to the holiday season.

As long as enough sell there to keep the Wii solidly in first place - and keep 3rd party software coming it way - that's fine with me :D

Mar

Cheesemeister said:
02. [PS3] Bladestorm (Koei) - 59,000 / NEW

bonestorm.jpg

d+pad

Vinnk said:

I was hoping someone would say this. The craziness can't last forever, right? Though you have to imagine some of it (the craziness) will return when SSBB and SMG are released...

apujanata

I think this week will have more and more Sony fans participating. Some of them might even try to bring out the amuzing trolling sentence "Wii will only sell up to GC LTD, and drop to zero after that, since only Nintendo fans buy Wii".

d+pad said:
I was hoping someone would say this. The craziness can't last forever, right? Though you have to imagine some of it (the craziness) will return when SSBB and SMG are released...

So far, the DS craziness has not abated yet, one and a half year (since March 2007) after it started. I think it take at least 2 years (or perhaps even 3 years) before DS weekly sales stabilize at 50K /week.

Odysseus

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Nice to see a non high profile PS3 title actually performing.

What the hell is Hitman doing there?

experiencing unparalleled success for a 360 game in japan is what it's doing there.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
apujanata said:
I think this week will have more and more Sony fans participating. Some of them might even try to bring out the amuzing trolling sentence "Wii will only sell up to GC LTD, and drop to zero after that, since only Nintendo fans buy Wii".

Please don't dillute this into "just wait until the trolls show up!"

You don't need to call them out because they will be here as per usual

reilo said:
You don't need to call them out because they will be here as per usual
They've been conspicuously absent for the past couple of months. I think most of the got banned or wised up. Of course with 2500 new juniors, their re-emergence wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if they'll wait for the weekend for the more likely to be delayed banstick....

sphinx

the piano man
d+pad said:

DS proves craziness can last forever.

I'd say selling more than 100k per week of your videogame system ( DS ) is crazy but the fact that the Wii can't keep the same level of craziness of the DS is nothing to be ashamed of.

after all, you can't share a handheld but you can share the Wii with 3 other people.

Cheesemeister said:
NDS - 18
PS2 - 5
WII - 3
PS3 - 2
PSP - 1
360 - 1
Only 70% on Nintendo Consoles? Damn. What's happening to this place.

Maybe we can make it up on the 50. Maybe not. Can Nintendo do 19/20 in the 31-50 range?

Hopefully crisis core does well, it looks like a really good game.

It'll be interesting to see how many wii's were actually sold this week, maybe soon we will see a situation where wii sports no longer correlates with wii sales in general.

I also find it amazing that we're talking about a slowdown period and the DS is selling 100K per week, i know a lot of people have said it but that is just phenomenal.

Sharp

You know, Famitsu had the DS selling so close to 100k I'm gonna predict DS < 100k for MC just because it would be crazy times.

Top Bottom