• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

apujanata

ethelred said:
Not like we can't predict easily enough. Look for Crisis Core to be number one, but to drop rapidly in its second week. PMD will be in a solid number 2 and will retain most of its sales the following week -- though Crisis Core will start out stronger, PMD will have a much higher LTD.

For what it's worth, YSO (a huge Japanese sales tracking group) has a list of upcoming games they expect to go platinum (1 million +). Crisis Core doesn't make the list, but PMD does.

Edit: Oh, guess I might as well post their list of expectant million-sellers:

Code:
Wii  	Mario Party 8  			Nintendo  	07.07.26
NDS 	Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 	Pokemon 	07.09.13
Wii 	Super Mario Galaxy	 	Nintendo 	07.xx.xx
Wii 	Super Smash Bros. Brawl	 	Nintendo 	07.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest IX		 	Square Enix 	07.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest IV 		Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest V 			Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx
NDS 	Dragon Quest VI 		Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx
Wii 	WiiFit 				Nintendo 	xx.xx.xx
PS3 	Final Fantasy XIII 		Square Enix 	xx.xx.xx

Not to say nothing else will hit that, but their list is a good starting point.

Surprised to see DQ 4 - 6 listed as possible million seller, considering that DQ4 Remake on PS1 only managed to sell 1.2 M unit. I think DQ 5 & 6 might not be able to hit 1 million, if DQ4 on DS only manage to sell 1 M unit.

apujanata said:
Surprised to see DQ 4 - 6 listed as possible million seller, considering that DQ4 Remake on PS1 only managed to sell 1.2 M unit. I think DQ 5 & 6 might not be able to hit 1 million, if DQ4 on DS only manage to sell 1 M unit.
Good luck with that.

Saitou

Banned
apujanata said:
What is installed base, Alex.

ethelred

apujanata said:

The Game Boy versions of Dragon Quest I+II and Dragon Quest III never managed to hit a million, while the SNES versions did -- though both portables came pretty close. Just based off that precedent, IV and V are iffy... but, uh, I'd lean more towards million than not-million.

Dragon Quest VI has never received a remake of any sort and I don't see the slightest chance of that one not going plat.

Xisiqomelir

Cheesemeister said:

ANH_DavishPopsKrail.jpg

cvxfreak

Well, just saw (at least) 13 new Wii systems at the Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku (Tokyo).

Other stores in the area carry used Wii systems at about 5000 less than MSRP. Months ago, they used to be either on par or 5000 Yen more expensive.

DCharlie

Banned
Japanese GAFers- any insight on why this may be?

over Obon there was a massie restock of Wii and DS. The units out there are still selling, but the week or so`s worth of back log is helping ease the retail pipe strain.

Bladestorm 59k... good figures for the X360 i guess, but still - not fantastic is it ? :(
I doubt this is going to make other publishers jump ship.

Seems like there`s a general sales lul right now - probably the calm before the storm.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DCharlie said:
over Obon there was a massie restock of Wii and DS. The units out there are still selling, but the week or so`s worth of back log is helping ease the retail pipe strain.

Bladestorm 59k... good figures for the X360 i guess, but still - not fantastic is it ? :(
I doubt this is going to make other publishers jump ship.

Seems like there`s a general sales lul right now - probably the calm before the storm.

What?

DCharlie

Banned
Dont blame him, it could happen.

doh - i thought Bladestorm had jumped ship. I guess just multiparty then?

So assumedly PS3? Again, it`s not bad for the userbase, but seriously.... there`s nothing else to play (on PS3 or X360 for Japanese gamers).

The tale of the tape will be in what sort of "legs" it has.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DCharlie said:
doh - i thought Bladestorm had jumped ship. I guess just multiparty then?

So assumedly PS3? Again, it`s not bad for the userbase, but seriously.... there`s nothing else to play (on PS3 or X360 for Japanese gamers).

The tale of the tape will be in what sort of "legs" it has.

Hint: The system the property is being sold on is between the numeral with the decimal, as here by referred to as the 'sales rank' for the week, and the name of the property sold.

MinGol still in the Top 25, as expected. I wonder, how many of those are in bundles now? MC does count the bundle, yes?

Anyhoo, awesome golf game + Japan = legs.

I better be getting this in the USA with revamped online by the end of the year, Sony...

Parl

Hmm, didn't some other Phoenix Wright game sell several hundred thousand? What's happening with PW3? I needs me some explainin'.

d+pad

apujanata said:
I think this week will have more and more Sony fans participating.

Whoa, you're not calling me a Sony fanboy, are you? If anything, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but I don't even really consider myself that since I've always loved Sega and Sony systems as well (until the PS3...).

What I meant was that I was hoping someone would say that the current dip in Wii sales isn't due to a lack of interest on the part of Japanese gamers, and that I'm glad to know SSBB and SMG will help Nintendo resume crushing the competition left and right.

Does that sound better? :lol

Deku

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
MinGol still in the Top 25, as expected. I wonder, how many of those are in bundles now? MC does count the bundle, yes?

Anyhoo, awesome golf game + Japan = legs.

I better be getting this in the USA with revamped online by the end of the year, Sony...

It's certainly sad when you're celebrating this milestone.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
very slow week. Disappointed for Zelda and DQS out of the top 30. I wonder why recently sales have slowed down consistently...

looks like japan is becoming irrelevant again.

VegaShinra

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
very slow week. Disappointed for Zelda and DQS out of the top 30. I wonder why recently sales have slowed down consistently...
Zelda DS is still in the Top 20. Unless you meant TP. As for DQS that was only for a select group of gamers I'd assume. Not a main story in the DQ universe so it got decent sales. Wii needs a real DQ title.

VegaShinra said:
Zelda DS is still in the Top 20. Unless you meant TP. As for DQS that was only for a select group of gamers I'd assume. Not a main story in the DQ universe so it got decent sales. Wii needs a real DQ title.

That's not it. SE screwed up the supply, and by the time they fixed it the used copies had already started appearing in stores.

Vinnk, if you're still there, could you check GS3's availability, please?

CTLance

Dang, everything I wanted to say has already been said on the first page. :D

Ah well. Can't wait for hardware numbers and the usual graphs and comparisons. Finally i can say it: Thank you guys for doing this! It's always an interesting read.

Again, it won't matter if the Wii demand is "dropping off"(more like stabilizing). It's *been* 9 months.

The damage has been done and there is a current "drought" of Wii games now. Nothing until Mario Galaxy/SSBB/Wii Fit shitstorm. 50K is inline to the USA weekly numbers of 80K(I expect the Wii to settle at this weekly number in NA eventually).

Angelo

It seems FFCC:RoF is selling quite well, especially since it pumped up from #3 to #1. Hopefully, the sales will translate to the Wii version of the game, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers. I’m probably one of the few who found the original Crystal Chronicles on the Cube an interesting and an enjoyable game. It’s soundtrack was flawless though; very atmospheric.

Parl

Angelo said:
It seems FFCC:RoF is selling quite well, especially since it pumped up from #3 to #1. Hopefully, the sales will translate to the Wii version of the game, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers. I’m probably one of the few who found the original Crystal Chronicles on the Cube an interesting and an enjoyable game. It’s soundtrack was flawless though; very atmospheric.

There's loads of RPGs out in the market now. RoF has been put in a position where it wouldn't sell to its full potential as SE are competing with themselves with how many RPGs they're putting on DS. I mean, it's selling good by normal standards anyway, but for DS, it's slightly under-performing, but it has a valid reason too, and that's how competitive the software market is for DS - The many Nintendo first party titles with massive legs and the many RPGs that some people are probably still enjoying. DS owners weren't in need of a good RPG before RoF came out.

ethelred said:
The Game Boy versions of Dragon Quest I+II and Dragon Quest III never managed to hit a million, while the SNES versions did -- though both portables came pretty close. Just based off that precedent, IV and V are iffy... but, uh, I'd lean more towards million than not-million.

Ah, but the GBC remakes followed their SNES counterparts by arguably shorter margins of time.

Regarding the Wii sales "stabilization" wouldn't that be attributed to the rerouting of consoles to the US?

Angelo

Parl said:
There's loads of RPGs out in the market now. RoF has been put in a position where it wouldn't sell to its full potential as SE are competing with themselves with how many RPGs they're putting on DS. I mean, it's selling good by normal standards anyway, but for DS, it's slightly under-performing, but it has a valid reason too, and that's how competitive the software market is for DS - The many Nintendo first party titles with massive legs and the many RPGs that some people are probably still enjoying. DS owners weren't in need of a good RPG before RoF came out.

Hmmm. That's an interesting perspective you got here. It will be also interesting to compare the sales of this game to FFIII Remake on the DS...even though I can easily guess who will be the winner.

Parl said:
Hmm, didn't some other Phoenix Wright game sell several hundred thousand? What's happening with PW3? I needs me some explainin'.

I'm guessing that other was the 4th game designed for DS rather than the first 3 ports of GBA titles. Did the GBA games not sell at all when they came out way back when? Or is this just the case of DS reaching new audiences yadda yadda yadda..

Taurus

titiklabingapat said:
Anyone have any info on the next substantial Wii game from Nintendo or third parties(if any exist atm) before SSBB/SMG hits?
I'd like to know the answer for this one too.

Tenbatsu

titiklabingapat said:
Anyone have any info on the next substantial Wii game from Nintendo or third parties(if any exist atm) before SSBB/SMG hits?

SEP
Dewy's Adventure
MLB Power Pros

OCT
Bleach: Shattered Blade
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis
Manhunt 2
Battalion Wars 2
Endless Ocean

NOV
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ghost Squad

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Tenbatsu said:
SEP
Dewy's Adventure
MLB Power Pros

OCT
Bleach: Shattered Blade
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis
Manhunt 2
Battalion Wars 2
Endless Ocean

NOV
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ghost Squad

Uh, those are US release dates dude.

mclem

Sharp said:
Looks like the good times are over for Nintendo in Japan then. Can't just beat Sony by upping the shipments anymore guys!

Nope, now they'll beat Sony while not upping the shipments...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
So assumedly PS3?
No no, the PSN demo that spurred these sales was actually the first official PS2 download. :p
From what I heard they are doing the same with Trusty Bell port (it'll be a PS2 release with PSN demo), it made more sense then PS3 since they could still keep basically the same graphics but hit much bigger userbase.

Pretty low numbers all around.

Personally I don't get how people are attracted to these Musou games but a decent start for third party PS3 software is good news for Sony. Will this become No. 3 in the PS3 software list or will it be heavily frontloaded?

Frillen

P90 said:
I don't follow all the sales threads, but AC:WW is back in the top 25?

It's been in the top 30 for over 80 weeks now.

Anyway, FF:CC's sold slightly more the second week than I predicted. It seems like it will have some decent legs. Famitsu had the Wii at 2k higher than last week, should be interesting to see how much m-create shows.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
titiklabingapat said:

Yep. I'm picking influential titles based on "yeah, that seems influential" not based on sales potential or anything.

September
13th SSX Blur
20th Mario Strikes Charged
20th Sengoku Musou Katana
27th My Sims

October
4th Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
(Holiday weekend 6th-8th of October)
25th Zack and Wiki
25th Simple Series Wii 1 and 2
25th Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Porcupine

Nintendo doesn't release released schedules more than two months in advance and I don't have the japanese skills to navigate sites that would have speculative release dates for past then.

Top Bottom