• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

doicare said:
The last time i tried to be nice and give some hint to the numbers i was attacked by a bunch of posters so i won't be posting any specific numbers again and given the the nature of these numbers i'd have to be very stupid to give away my source and get them into trouble.

You were "attacked" because unsourced numbers are worse-than-useless in a thread like this - as I think was pointed out to you by the more level-headed regulars last time. It's not that people necessarily think that you're lying, just that without any kind of a source you may as well be.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
doicare said:
The last time i tried to be nice and give some hint to the numbers i was attacked by a bunch of posters so i won't be posting any specific numbers again and given the the nature of these numbers i'd have to be very stupid to give away my source and get them into trouble.

Just give us one vague example. Like DQ9 has this many times more preorders than MH Tri or something like that.

doicare

schuelma said:
Just give us one vague example. Like DQ9 has this many times more preorders than MH Tri or something like that.
Haha nope not giving away anything like that anymore, a lot of people round here don't want to hear about these numbers because i won't name the names of people who have leaked info so like i've said i'm never going to give those names away so you'll just have to use your imagination.

doicare

BishopLamont said:
Well obviously, or I wouldn't be on GAF.

Surely there must be a new wii game or something you haven't tried yet you could be playing instead, let me go check the release list for the past few months.......o snap :D

doicare said:
Surely there must be a new wii game or something you haven't tried yet you could be playing instead, let me go check the release list for the past few months.......o snap :D
That would make sense if the Wii was the only console I played on...

Wait, shouldn't you be off somewhere making up bullshit numbers? Oh right that ship sailed a long time ago.

doicare

BishopLamont said:
That would make sense if the Wii was the only console I played on...

Wait, shouldn't you be off somewhere making up bullshit numbers? Oh right that ship sailed a long time ago.

Phew that's good, you dodged a bullet with that one.

MoogPaul

Jesus, put down the fucking torches. If he doesn't want to give up a source, he doesn't fucking have to. If it's really going to cost someone their job, then let it go. You either believe him or you don't. Fuck.

MoogPaul said:
Jesus, put down the fucking torches. If he doesn't want to give up a source, he doesn't fucking have to. If it's really going to cost someone their job, then let it go. You either believe him or you don't. Fuck.

The point - again - is that this is exactly what happens when someone posts unverified numbers - or no numbers at all - in a thread for sales discussion. Some people decide to believe them for any number of reasons, others don't and the result is an absolute mess of people slinging insults, making hints about "sources", defending the person posting their "inside info" etc.

Sales threads should concentrate on published numbers from trackers - or, at worst, chart positions from trackers - because the alternative is a disaster and only benefits those with an agenda or those interested in internet slanging matches.

doicare said:
Haha nope not giving away anything like that anymore, a lot of people round here don't want to hear about some random bullshit

Correct.

Cosmonaut X said:
The point - again - is that this is exactly what happens when someone posts unverified numbers - or no numbers at all - in a thread for sales discussion. Some people decide to believe them for any number of reasons, others don't and the result is an absolute mess of people slinging insults, making hints about "sources", defending the person posting their "inside info" etc.

It's worse with preorders too, because there's simply no accountability. If someone "reports" that a game has "poor" preorder numbers, then it comes out and sells gangbusters, they can just say "oh, well, obviously everyone bought it without a preorder."

In general, GAF gets a lot of "insiders" who have access to some information, but then inflate or expound upon it until they get themselves into trouble anyway. It's better to give none of them any credence, especially in terms of sales numbers.

duckroll

MoogPaul said:

Like someone else mentioned, it's not a matter of believing. Sales-age does not welcome or want sourceless "secret" info. It serves no purpose other than to make his dick feel bigger in this thread. If he feels it will cost someone their job, why is he even posting about it in a nudge nudge wink wink manner? To make himself feel important? :p

MoogPaul

duckroll said:
Like someone else mentioned, it's not a matter of believing. Sales-age does not welcome or want sourceless "secret" info. It serves no purpose other than to make his dick feel bigger in this thread. If he feels it will cost someone their job, why is he even posting about it in a nudge nudge wink wink manner? To make himself feel important? :p

I'm not defending him either, but can we just stop with the absolutely shit-tarded back and forth? It gets us no where.

duckroll

MoogPaul said:
I'm not defending him either, but can we just stop with the absolutely shit-tarded back and forth? It gets us no where.

Yeah, okay.

Here's the solution for everyone: If you see him post something like "nudge nudge wink wink I have top secret preorder numbers oh man FFXIII isn't looking so hot, ooooh man you guys will be shocked!", instead of hitting quote and going "LOL WHERE SOURCE LULZ!", just ignore him. If he tries to draw more attention to himself in a thread, PM me and wait. Let's not ruin these threads any further.

:(

duckroll said:
Yeah, okay.

Here's the solution for everyone: If you see him post something like "nudge nudge wink wink I have top secret preorder numbers oh man FFXIII isn't looking so hot, ooooh man you guys will be shocked!", instead of hitting quote and going "LOL WHERE SOURCE LULZ!", just ignore him. If he tries to draw more attention to himself in a thread, PM me and wait. Let's not ruin these threads any further.

Fair enough - sorry for my part in this.

doicare

duckroll said:
Yeah, okay.

Yeeesh talk about going over the top a bit, you make it seem like i'm an attention seeking weirdo when actually i'm just posting some info i know some people would be interested in. If it bothers people that much i won't post any hints at all, i thought the problem was with me giving away numbers not posting general hints.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
It all depends on whether they will need a price drop to maintain their dominance or not. PS3 dropping in price could increase the likelihood of this.
charlequin said:
You can't measure these in a vacuum. If Sony decides to drop their price, that affects the math on whether Nintendo drops their price.
Ye, that is good points, i didnt think of that :) But even if Sony should drop the price with like 10,000 yen (i dont know how realistic a 10,000 yen price drop is though, i think that 5,000 yen is more likely, if they drop the price at all that is), i would still wonder how likely there is that Nintendo will drop the price in 2009 as well. Maybe if Wii Sports Resort and Monster Hunter 3 doesnt end up moving hardware like Nintendo wants? But even so, i would still be surprised to see a Wii price drop in 2009 in Japan, but i guess that it is not impossible :)

test_account said:
i would still wonder how likely there is that Nintendo will drop the price in 2009 as well. Maybe if Wii Sports Resort and Monster Hunter 3 doesnt end up moving hardware like Nintendo wants? But even so, i would still be surprised to see a Wii price drop in 2009 in Japan, but i guess that it is not impossible :)
I'd like to see Nintendo drop their price in Japan because that seems to be where it's no longer a hot property. A new advertising push around the release of WSR and MH3 along with a 5000 yen price drop seems like a the start of a good push to me, but we really need to know more about the games slated for the Wii in the 2nd half.

just out of curiosity because I haven't been able to post for a while, but is this trend with the PS3 outselling the Wii set to hold?

Hasn't it been happening for over a month or so now?

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
So you're thinking 1.875M-ish LTD?

Which would be astounding for being on the PS3.

FFXII - 1.84 million 1st week, 2.32 million LTD (79.2% for 1st week)

kswiston said:
So basically, Wii sales need to increase by close to 50% and PS360 sales need to decrease by close to 25% in order to repeat 2008's Wii = 2.2x PS360.

:lol

Okay, maybe not the safest prediction then. I'll stick to it, but I'm not as confident in it as I was. Thanks for the numerical rundown! :)

2 Minutes Turkish said:
just out of curiosity because I haven't been able to post for a while, but is this trend with the PS3 outselling the Wii set to hold?

There's a good chance it'll end with next week's thread's numbers. Holidays tend to push up the Wii more than the PS3, and next week's numbers will include the start of Golden Week. Whether the PS3 will go in front of the Wii again after that, I don't know.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Hasn't it been happening for over a month or so now?

9 weeks.

MoogPaul said:
If you don't like the rules, then get out please. There's plenty of other forums to discuss bullshit numbers, unicorns and your favorite child fantasies.

t3nmilez

doicare said:
This has been a fun thread, all i'm going to say is from the pre order numbers i've seen for wii sports resort it isn't going to be much of a hardware booster in japan. Monster hunter 3 is chugging along nicely tho.

This really doesn't even make sense, source or no source. No retailers that I know of are pushing WSR for preorders, there isn't even a solid release date, very little is known about the game in actuality. Of course preorder numbers are going to be low, who is going to preorder something when there's no release date and no advertisements? At least with MH3, there's some hype built up for it and plenty of info available in Famitsu and other sources, so that makes somewhat more sense to preorder (although it's still way too early to try to use preorder numbers as any type of info).

Defuser

I'm looking at the release dates for ps3 software but WTF? There's no releases for the next 3 weeks till DW5 empires.

Defuser said:
I'm looking at the release dates for ps3 software but WTF? There's no releases for the next 3 weeks till DW5 empires.
I knew there was supposed to be a dry spell, but I thought it would just be no-name garbage for a couple of months, not nothing at all.

nothing at all

nothing at all

SexyFlanders.gif

donny2112

bmf said:
I knew there was supposed to be a dry spell, but I thought it would just be no-name garbage for a couple of months, not nothing at all.

The Wii has an extremely more robust release schedule of a six-month late release of PES 2009 (released in 2009, of all the nerve) and Tact of Magic. Robust. 360 has Mass Effect. 360 wins! :lol

onipex

Has Nintendo released any new colors for Wii in Japan or any themed Wii's like they did for the DS?

If not it would make sense that they would do that before a price drop.

Jokeropia

doicare said:
Last time you posted relative numbers for five games which all matched Comgnet data perfectly, making it highly unlikely that it was anything else.

onipex said:
Has Nintendo released any new colors for Wii in Japan or any themed Wii's like they did for the DS?

If not it would make sense that they would do that before a price drop.
New colors would be nice, but I'd rather see special editions myself. Any thoughts? If Square had a FMA game in the works, I'd think that it's symbology would work well....

markatisu

bmf said:
New colors would be nice, but I'd rather see special editions myself. Any thoughts? If Square had a FMA game in the works, I'd think that it's symbology would work well....

MH3, just based on sales of the MHG starter pak I think a MH3 SE console bundle would be massive. Shit I would buy once since it looks like in order to play MHG and MH3 online you are going to be required to have a JP Wii Shop Account and I don't want to get rid of my US Wii Ship account

doicare

t3nmilez said:
This really doesn't even make sense, source or no source. No retailers that I know of are pushing WSR for preorders, there isn't even a solid release date, very little is known about the game in actuality. Of course preorder numbers are going to be low, who is going to preorder something when there's no release date and no advertisements? At least with MH3, there's some hype built up for it and plenty of info available in Famitsu and other sources, so that makes somewhat more sense to preorder (although it's still way too early to try to use preorder numbers as any type of info).
Last time i checked wii sports resort is coming out in either june or july in japan and the game has had no more hype or advertising in the uk then japan has had.

To be honest this arguement just seems like wii damage control due to recent hardware and software sales. This year several wii games have underperformed yet instead of people holding up there hands and admiting it, they make up excuses and say 'well if you REALLY think about it, it was OBVIOUS the game was going to bomb anyway' *rollseyes*, when the truth is games like deca sporta 2, powerful pro baseball, winning post world and final fantasy crystal chronicles: echoes of time, to name but a few should all have sold much better.

Wii sports is the wii's best selling game with sales of 3.5~ million and it has been the best selling game for the past two and a half years in japan on any console or handheld!! A game that big should have huge pre order numbers, because i can't post numbers or hints anymore i will just make a personal prediction instead, wii sports resort in japan will sell no where near what wii sports did.
Jokeropia said:
Last time you posted relative numbers for five games which all matched Comgnet data perfectly, making it highly unlikely that it was anything else.
No the ratios i post didn't perfectly match the information you posted in that link and for further proof i posted more ratios to other games that weren't on that list at all.

schuelma

You're making this thread ridiculous. If you want to shit up the PAL threads be my guest, but please leave that crap out of here.

markatisu

doicare said:
final fantasy crystal chronicles: echoes of time, to name but a few should all have sold much better.

FFCC EoT did not sell as well even on the DS, so an experimental DS to Wii port which still fixes none of the problems from RoF and instead adds poorer gameplay and more problems (network lag, dumber AI) was supposed to sell well??

What fucking world do you live on?

DNF

schuelma said:
You're making this thread ridiculous. If you want to shit up the PAL threads be my guest, but please leave that crap out of here.

couldn't you keep him for a few weeks here, at least ?
Maybe we can arrenge something like PAL gets him on the workdays, Media Create gets him on the weekends and for the holidays ?

doicare

schuelma said:
Stating facts and making predictions means i'm craping up this thread? Better ask 90% of all the other posters to leave as well then.
markatisu said:
FFCC EoT did not sell as well even on the DS, so an experimental DS to Wii port which still fixes none of the problems from RoF and instead adds poorer gameplay and more problems (network lag, dumber AI) was supposed to sell well??

What fucking world do you live on?
My mistake, i thought that was a different final fantasy game, replace that one another game that underperformed instead, my point still stands. You gotta love it when you make a valid point with the vast majority of your examples backing up what you've said and the one tiny mistake you make gets lambasted and everything thing else that is right gets ignored.

schuelma

DNF said:
couldn't you keep him for a few weeks here, at least ?
Maybe we can arrenge something like PAL gets him on the workdays, Media Create gets him on the weekends and for the holidays ?

I give up all physical custody rights.

He's all yours!

test_account

XP-39C²
bmf said:
I'd like to see Nintendo drop their price in Japan because that seems to be where it's no longer a hot property. A new advertising push around the release of WSR and MH3 along with a 5000 yen price drop seems like a the start of a good push to me, but we really need to know more about the games slated for the Wii in the 2nd half.
Ye, that would be a good push indeed, i agree :)

markatisu

doicare said:
Stating facts and making predictions means i'm craping up this thread? Better ask 90% of all the other posters to leave as well then.

My mistake, i thought that was a different final fantasy game, replace that one another game that underperformed instead, my point still stands. You gotta love it when you make a valid point with the vast majority of your examples backing up what you've said and the one tiny mistake you make gets lambasted and everything thing else that is right gets ignored.

Didn't powerful pro baseball actually do more in this years Wii edition then previous releases?

If so thats two games on your list that were bad choices, if you are going to throw a tantrum and throw around how right you are then pick some really valid choices for underperforming games.

Deca Sports 2 for example was a good one, though I still maintain the casual fanbase from the 1st one got burned by it and proves that just because they are casual does not mean they buy any thing put out for sale.

Top Bottom