• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: August 30-September 5

schuelma said:
I have been wrong many many times on this board, but I'd almost be willing to bet a permaban that there is no conceivable way Nintendo will wait until 2013 to release a new home console.

If Nintendo waits until 2013 to launch a successor to the Wii, I'll come in here and put you down myself, purely as an act of mercy. :lol

Osuwari

Vanpira said:
Bring Metroid's development home? Why do people keep saying this? Sakamoto was making Metroid games and releasing them at the same times as Retro Studios did starting in 2002. If anything this is his third game to match Retro's three. It only stands out because it's 3D and on the Wii instead of a handheld. I would say instead of it being an attempt for it to do better in Japan, it was just a matter of Sakamoto being given the budget to do a Wii game. I'm sure they wanted it to do better than it is, but I don't see this has to do with any of it. As far as how it will sell in the west, how did Fusion and Zero Mission do?

in the west, the more popular Metroid games were the prime series, while Fusion/ZM got only average popularity. they sold fine but not millions like at least mp1 (Fusion was close to 1 million last i checked and ZM at like 500k).

Other M on Wii is making a shift from the prime series (which were sort of spin-offs) to the main series on home consoles since the last mainline game on console was SM and both ZM and Fusion were on GBA and back then, portable gaming wasn't really a big deal like it is now, despite the games being as good as what you get now.
the big budget productions were the prime series, while the cheap games were the portable ones basically.
so, for some people, Nintendo is bringing the main development back home by making a game in the mainline series a big budget production.

they also made it in a way that it is getting very mixed impressions and making people pass on it because of the way it was made. as seen in several forums, the majority of the players didn't like the story at all and that was one of the areas where most of the budget went. not to mention the story
was almost a copy of the Fusion story and made the game feel like a 3D remake of Fusion. putting it between the other games seriously limited what they could do since they couldn't do anything radical that would cause an outright plothole in the next game. even the major events like Adam dying are already spoiled since 2002 so there's practically no shock or looking forward to what happens. also, when the rest of the plot like the deleter stuff and the MB stuff end up being so lame and you have contradictory things like Ridley's intro cutscene and the retcons to mp3 stuff, you just ask "why did they make this stupid story?"
the whole "Samus now has emotions" aspect of the game ended up hurting the character's image more than helping it. the bad acting and script didn't help either.
the controls are getting better reception but overall there's problems because it was designed around a very limited controller (if it was on DS or 3DS, the controls would have been fantastic and on Wii with either CC or Remote+Nunchuck). sure, it is playable and once you adapt, it is second nature, but overall the reception could have been better with more control options. the Remote alone isn't the best option for some games and yet, some devs like Sakamoto want to do everything around it at the expense of some things like fluidity or aiming.
the game is ultra linear and that's another aspect most of the Metroid fans don't like. there's a reason Fusion and mp3 aren't among the favorite games and why mp1 and SM are the most beloved ones in the series so far and yet the devs choose to ignore this and go in the direction that makes people reconsider and possibly pass on the game instead of making it a day 1 buy.
there's also completely retarded shit like those "where's waldo" moments that destroy the pacing and don't help at all players going through the game for the first time.

short version: this new approach limits the game's appeal more than it broadens it. the story and linearity alienate old fans while the game is still not accesible enough for new people.

jman2050

markatisu said:
I am going to laugh if yet again they announce some sort of Wii_ title and end up taking the YTD back from the PS3, that seems to be the way the narrative has been playing out

I figured the Wii would end up winning YTD regardless of anything that happens now simply because of holiday sales.

I could be wrong of course.

Look at those healthy Wii sales. And with a healthy stream of good games coming up, the only way is a healthy upward swing. I think the next few years we'll see healthy Wii sales until it's predecessor is announced.

I guess you could say the Wii is in a healthy condition.

gerg

Zizbuka said:
I admit to not keeping up on sales data, but it looks like Japan becomes less significant every month?

Japan has been relatively insignificant for a while, if only because of the splintering of the market.

Boy I haven't been in a Media Create thread for a while.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zizbuka said:
I admit to not keeping up on sales data, but it looks like Japan becomes less significant every month?

Its the calm before the *storm.

*3DS/Black and White/Monster Hunter 3rd

farnham

Banned
onken said:
It was NSMB that sealed the deal last year, not a Wii_ title. Though yeah, Wii Relax is in the post. What the hell it's supposed to be and whether it will sell or not is a whole other issue, though.
Its Mario (2D or Kart) AND Wii__ Titles

also something tells me that Nintendo should make the 25th anniversary edition a full product rather then a limited edition, limited time thing.

Road

Zizbuka said:
When you're one of the top 3 markets trending -2% YTD and the other two are declining -10% to -20% YTD, while your local currency becomes stronger, you're technically becoming more significant every month.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
When you're one of the top 3 markets trending -2% YTD and the other two are declining -10% to -20% YTD, while your local currency becomes stronger, you're technically becoming more significant every month.
Japan is the only big territory that will be up this year, maybe way up if 3DS comes out at late November.
It's the only place that keeps PSP alive

Spiegel

Apparently the shop where azalyn works has ordered for MHP3 as many copies as they ordered for DQIX (second highest, first was DQVIII).

And 1/5 of that number for GT5

farnham

Banned
Spiegel said:
Apparently the shop where azalyn works has ordered for MHP3 as many copies as they ordered for DQIX (second highest, first was DQVIII).

considering the fact that those two will be the biggest hitters this year in japan its not surprising. MHP3 will do monster numbers and i wont be surprised if it outsells pokemon or dqix

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:
considering the fact that those two will be the biggest hitters this year in japan its not surprising. MHP3 will do monster numbers and i wont be surprised if it outsells pokemon or dqix
You fail hard at long term sales predictions.

farnham

Banned
jman2050 said:
What? This isn't sarcasm?
i dont know Black and White will do something like 5 million. I could see MH3P doing that

Chris1964 said:
You fail hard at long term sales predictions.
i meant this year btw. if you count in the 3rd Pokemon game that will eventually come then it will of course outsell MH3P (but then MH3PG will come out)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:
i meant this year btw. if you count in the 3rd Pokemon game that will eventually come then it will of course outsell MH3P (but then MH3PG will come out)
This year Pokemon will sell more than 4 million. It's even worse if you put it that way. DQIX sold 4 million its first year too.

farnham

Banned
Chris1964 said:
This year Pokemon will sell more than 4 million. It's even worse if you put it that way. DQIX first 4 million its first year too.
what i meant was that i wouldnt be surprised to see MHP3 sell more. I am aware of the fact that Black and White will probably sell more. But i think MHP3 has a decent shot.

jman2050

farnham said:
what i meant was that i wouldnt be surprised to see MHP3 sell more. I am aware of the fact that Black and White will probably sell more. But i think MHP3 has a decent shot.

So MHP3 is not only going to sail straight past the LTD of its current installment, but it's going to do so in less than half a year, possibly eclipsing the most successful video game series in the country ever in the process?

No.

Road

Chris1964 said:
Japan is the only big territory that will be up this year, maybe way up if 3DS comes out at late November.
It's the only place that keeps PSP alive
Yeah, If 3DS comes out this year, Japan will finally see a rise again for sure. Without it, I'm not so sure. The 2nd half of 2009 was really strong, this year all the weight is on B&W and MHP3rd shoulders.

Spiegel

farnham said:

Capcom is expecting 3.5M this fiscal year and they usually have unrealistic expectations.

farnham

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
Yeah.....no.
well MHP2 did 4 million and the psp in general seems to be on the rise in japan.
Spiegel said:
Capcom is expecting 3.5M this fiscal year and they usually have unrealistic expectations.

its always hard to predict consumer demand. 3.5 m is a fair number that they will probably achieve.

Chris1964 said:
Expectations for MHP3 outselling Black/White are out of reality.
The first will sell 5,5-6 million and the second will be at least 1,5M behind.
Im not expecting it. I just said i wont be surprised if it does.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Expectations for MHP3 outselling Black/White are out of reality.
The first will sell 5,5-6 million and the second will be at least 1,5M behind.

Road

I have the feeling that MHP2G was the peak for Monster Hunter (much like what FFVII was for Final Fantasy).

I'll definitely be surprised to see 3rd outselling B&W, even more so when you take into account 2ndG took 2 years to reach 4 million, while D&P, 3 months.

duckroll

Could MHP3 outsell Pokemon B&W in terms of LTD? No, it's not likely or realistic at all.

Could MHP3 outsell Pokemon B&W this year considering the fact that Pokemon is out in 2 weeks and MHP3 only comes out in December? No, it's not likely or realistic at all.

Road said:
I have the feeling that MHP2G was the peak for Monster Hunter (much like what FFVII was for Final Fantasy).

I'll definitely be surprised to see 3rd outselling B&W, even more so when you take into account 2ndG took 2 years to reach 4 million, while D&P, 3 months.

But in Japan FFVIII was the peak for Final Fantasy. :p

Spiegel

Road said:

On one hand, 2G was the expansion of a port of a game released on Ps2 so I'm sure the potential sales of a completely new game are higher.

On the other hand, 2G has sold 1.5M of copies at a discounted price so we'll have to see if the people who waited and bought the best version will buy the game for >5000Y

KingDizzi

Banned
Spiegel said:

:( goddamn

There is no way that MH3G can outsell Pokemon however the growth of the franchise in the past few years is amazing. It's far surpassed FF and is right up there with the big boys, am I right in saying it will probably be the first PSP game to break 1 million week one?

Road

duckroll said:
But in Japan FFVIII was the peak for Final Fantasy. :p
Not if you count all re-releases. *cheap shot*

Without them, 3rd outselling B&W is even less likely =P

Edit...
KingDizzi said:
Think of it this way. DQIX sold 2.3 million first week, if they ordered the same for MPH3rd and 1/5th for GT5
and everything scaled just like this haha
, then the latter would sell 460k first week.

Personally, I think that'd be impressive. =P

AniHawk said:
They're insanely popular, each more insanely popular than the last.

You'd think with the anime actually getting to the meaty bits and the manga wrapping up, it would have sparked some interest, but I guess Bleach isn't really that big anymore.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Pokemon Black and White should also benefit from the 3DS launch with those included DSi Features. Back when MH2G launched it didnt have much competition on PSP - now with all those mh-clones and other big releases ( ninokuni,3ds hardware,tog f, 3rd bday etc.) we will see how it will stack up.

Capcom will probably ship their 4 million this fiscal year - but outselling B/W isnt happening.

Xater

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You'd think with the anime actually getting to the meaty bits and the manga wrapping up, it would have sparked some interest, but I guess Bleach isn't really that big anymore.

The manga is actually ending? Huh.

duckroll said:
Don't be deceived. The author is just getting ready for his next troll.
This. The author apparently said in some interview that he has new characters and a whole story arc worked out that takes place in the royal palace universe.

We can look forward to heating more souls. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
wizword said:
Wii is still going to have a huge holiday boost so it will probably outsell ps3 is my bet.

I'm sure it will do ok, but I'd expect a 2008 type holiday as opposed to 2009.

Jokeropia

farnham said:
i think nintendo should just focus on making those games rather then trying to dulge into PS3, PSP territory. Everytime they tried that they failed.
You're not including Metroid when you say "PS3, PSP territory", are you? Because that would be really, really stupid.

donny2112

charlequin said:
You sound bitter. :lol

He was upset that a game he liked sold more than he thought it would. :lol

Chris1964 said:
1M+ first week for a FF spinoff? These days are behind us.

It also says something to look at the sales of all the other late-year arriving big SE games on PSP. Despite being varied genres and somewhat different series, they all end up about the same. Kinda weird, really.

farnham

Banned
donny2112 said:
It also says something to look at the sales of all the other late-year arriving big SE games on PSP. Despite being varied genres and somewhat different series, they all end up about the same. Kinda weird, really.
i dont think third birthday or tactics orgre will do similar numbers to agito or kingdomhearts though. dissidia 2 will do similar if greater numbers to kingdom hearts.

Top Bottom