• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: August 30-September 5

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
duckroll said:
So Versus won't sell 1M+ first week either? Damn S-E is doomed. :(
I haven't followed Versus XIII media for a long time and I can't say anything about the hype or expectations but it remains a spin-off of a brand that is slowly declining in Japan.

Lance Bone Path said:
This. The author apparently said in some interview that he has new characters and a whole story arc worked out that takes place in the royal palace universe.

We can look forward to heating more souls. :lol

The idea of villains more powerful than Aizen is impossibly silly, but somehow I know I'll keep reading. :/

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
So Versus won't sell 1M+ first week either? Damn S-E is doomed. :(
The real threat should be DQ X. that one is going to sell sub 1,5m probably. Comming from DQ IX that sold 4 million that is quite dissapointing.

Celine

farnham said:
The real threat should be DQ X. that one is going to sell sub 1,5m probably. Comming from DQ IX that sold 4 million that is quite dissapointing.
:lol

EDIT:
Wait is the "sub 1,5m" for first week or ltd ?

Boney

Banned
farnham said:
You're embarassing yourself..

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
donny2112 said:
He was upset that a game he liked sold more than he thought it would. :lol

Geesh, that was purely a throw away comment. I'm not actually upset :lol

BishopLamont said:
*cough cough*
ps. charle we shall continue our little 3ds chat soon, when i get my net back

Wow I feel like that was, like... a billion years ago. What were we talking about again? :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:
1,5M first day sounds about right for DQX.

DQIX has sold more than 4,3M.

farnham

Banned
Chris1964 said:
1,5M first day sounds about right for DQX.

DQIX has sold more than 4,3M.
On DS not Wii. the Wii had little thirdparty successes. The only one that did well was Monster Hunter Tri and the last iteration of that series before MHTri launched sold 4 million on PSP.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Why do you think third party success has anything to do with DQX? Everyone in Japan will want to play it when it's out and even those who haven't touched Wii for months or years will turn it on just for this game.

farnham said:
On DS not Wii. the Wii had little thirdparty successes. The only one that did well was Monster Hunter Tri and the last iteration of that series before MHTri launched sold 4 million on PSP.

This isn't just any game, though. A mainline Dragon Quest game isn't going to sell that poorly in Japan. It probably won't do numbers as crazy as IX, but it should do 3.5 million no problem.

farnham

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Why do you think third party success has anything to do with DQX? Everyone in Japan will want to play it when it's out and even those who haven't touched Wii for months or years will turn it on just for this game.
well mainly because Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road Victory did very very poorly.

DQ Spinoffs usually do quite decently. Even DQ S did pretty well.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
This isn't just any game, though. A mainline Dragon Quest game isn't going to sell that poorly in Japan. It probably won't do numbers as crazy as IX, but it should do 3.5 million no problem.
Monster Hunter is not "any" game either.

Boney

Banned
farnham said:
MH's main appeal is local multiplayer. Guess what the Wii version doesn't have.

jman2050 said:
So first the Wii successor will release 3 years from now at LEAST, and then MHP3 will usurp the most highly-anticipated version of Pokemon ever in sales, and then a Dragon Quest game will sell less than 1.5 million copies.

Is that what I'm reading?
It's like a bad joke, I know.

jman2050

So first the Wii successor will release 3 years from now at LEAST, and then MHP3 will usurp the most highly-anticipated version of Pokemon ever in sales, and then a Dragon Quest game will sell less than 1.5 million copies.

farnham

Banned
Boney said:
MH's main appeal is local multiplayer. Guess what the Wii version doesn't have.
MH Wii had local splitscreen multiplayer (its a limited arena mode. quite fun though) and online multiplayer

jman2050 said:

MHP3 Vs. Pokemon BW is not a prediction. I just said i wont be surprised as i see a huge sales potential in MHP3

DQ X I think has grim chances at doing well. its on a platform that nobody likes for that kind of games. It would be interesting to see though. Maybe DQ can overcome the limitation of the Wii audience.

Wii successor comming in 2013 has to do with the fact that 1. they need to focus on 3DS and 2. they will have to rely on first party games for the next wii so unless they can make launch and launch window games for both 3DS and Wii it will be extremely hard for nintendo to pull off.

markatisu

farnham said:

Mainline DQ games are not really platform dependent, they do well regardless of where they are.

Monster Hunter is not a good comparison, that game reached the heights it did off multiplayer, making the portable always a much better option.

rosjos44

farnham said:

How many copies did the last PSP MH sell (the initial game). I mean without special releases, etc.

You underestimate the power of the DQ brand.'

To be honest I cannot wait to see a MH on 3DS.

farnham said:

And Tri is the best selling console Monster Hunter in history, so I'm not sure what your point is. It didn't do as well as the PSP versions, but that was to be expected. Monster Hunter, like Pokemon, is a franchise which has far more appeal on handhelds.

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
Mainline DQ games are not really platform dependent, they do well regardless of where they are.

Monster Hunter is not a good comparison, that game reached the heights it did off multiplayer, making the portable always a much better option.
up until now DQ games always have been on the highest selling platform though. we simply dont know what will happen if they are on a dead platform.

jman2050

farnham said:
up until now DQ games always have been on the highest selling platform though. we simply dont know what will happen if they are on a dead platform.

You have an odd definition of "dead platform."

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:
You'll make this thread bigger than NPD's.

rosjos44

farnham said:

When DQ8 came out on Ps2, how many consoles were sold in Japan at that time? I know it was not 20 million it was way under that number. So seeing how Wii is at 10 million now (it will most likely be 12 to 13 million if not more by the time DQX comes out) I do not see a problem at all with DQ9 reaching at least 3 million sold in Japan.

farnham said:

And the Wii is the highest selling platform of the current consoles. By the time the game comes out, there should be at least 12 million Wiis in Japan. It's not like we're talking about the 360 here.

farnham

Banned
rosjos44 said:
When DQ8 came out on Ps2, how many consoles were sold in Japan at that time? I know it was not 20 million it was way under that number. So seeing how Wii is at 10 million now (it will most likely be 12 to 13 million if not more by the time DQX comes out) I do not see a problem at all with DQ9 reaching at least 3 million sold in Japan.
yes but look at the situation. Wii is clearly fading out at this point. Nintendo is the only company that supports it at this point. Now they have their megasellers that could help revitalize the situation but it looks very grim at this point.

The Time DQ8 came out on the PS2 it had big hitters comming out every month

farnham

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
And the Wii is the highest selling platform of the current consoles. By the time the game comes out, there should be at least 12 million Wiis in Japan. It's not like we're talking about the 360 here.
It was. they kinda missed the ball though

next week PS3 will outsell the Wii YTD. and we have no third party support for this holiday on wii and actually we have no real big hitter for the wii in japan also. There is Kirby as a potential million seller.

jman2050

farnham said:
yes but look at the situation. Wii is clearly fading out at this point. Nintendo is the only company that supports it at this point. Now they have their megasellers that could help revitalize the situation but it looks very grim at this point.

Why does that matter when there are 10+ million Wiis out there anyway regardless of what happens from here on out?

Hell, DQX could come out on PS2 and sell 3 million copies.

farnham said:
It was. they kinda missed the ball though

next week PS3 will outsell the Wii YTD. and we have no third party support for this holiday on wii and actually we have no real big hitter for the wii in japan also. There is Kirby as a potential million seller.

The Wii and DS are going to rule the holiday season like they always do, software be damned.

rosjos44

farnham said:

Situation? You do realize the system sold over 10 million at this point, which if I recall the PS2 only sold 14 to 17 million around DQ8's launch. By the time DQX comes out I think the console will sell be up to at least 12 to 13.

It does not matter if "big hitters" for a system do not come out every month. What matters is if the console is in the players home by the time DQX comes out and the number is quite high which would mean that DQX and its brand power will also sell high.

You are fighting a losing battle.

farnham

Banned
jman2050 said:
Why does that matter when there are 10+ million Wiis out there anyway regardless of what happens from here on out?

Hell, DQX could come out on PS2 and sell 3 million copies.

The Wii and DS are going to rule the holiday season like they always do, software be damned.

DS is safe with Pokemon comming out. the only thing that will hurt DS sales would be a possible 3DS launch

but Wii ? with what games ? i see only one potential million seller (kirby) for the holiday season in japan.

jman2050

farnham said:
DS is safe with Pokemon comming out. the only thing that will hurt DS sales would be a possible 3DS launch

but Wii ? with what games ? i see only one potential million seller (kirby) for the holiday season in japan.

Kirby, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Galaxy 2, Wii Sports Resort, etc etc.

Boney

Banned
farnham said:

Wii offers different values than traditional consoles and lends itself better for holiday presents.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:

How many potential million sellers do you see for PS3? Not only this year but for the remaining of its life.

jman2050

Nintendo has had the kids market on lockdown since forever, who also happen to be the primary audience for holiday sales. It's as simple as that.

rosjos44

farnham said:

You think Nintendo cares if the DS is safe in Japan? It sold over 30 million systems. Wii is fine were its at. 10 million and its steady and I'm sure they can push out another million by the years end.

farnham said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns could potentially sell a million. It depends on how it is marketed.

And Nintendo consoles always sell well in the holiday period. Even with no major release, they would benefit more from the holidays than Sony.

farnham

Banned
Chris1964 said:
How many potential million sellers do you see for PS3? Not only this year but for the remaining of its life.
well at least for this year there is GT5 (wait its this year right :lol :lol ) and i dont know when the heck it will be comming out but FFversus could do a million as well.

There are a good amount of 500k+ games though (Yakuza 5, Musou Titles etc.)

Top Bottom