• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2013 (Dec 31 - Jan 06)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It seems this week's Famitsu might not have Capcom's big project, but Top 100 2012 is there!

jeremy1456

Well isn't it now that the sales will go down like mad after Xmas and new year?

Well I think it will happen, if not then its a miracle! A MIRACLE I TELL YOU!!

I was talking about Vita outselling Wii U.

Simply will not happen unless Vita gets a massive price drop, or if Soul Sacrifice is popular. Then it will only last a few weeks.

With all Nintendo did wrong with the system's launch they did significantly better than Sony with the Vita.

The week of Soul Sacrifice/Tales of Hearts if Wii Fit U hasn't come out by then I think they will cross streams. Until then....eh... It's really hard to imagine that happening with Vita's lineup

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If the Wii U will continue this way and be less popular than GC, considering the increase in the production and development costs and the critical Yen/economical situation, considering the recent HQ building rumors, I will not be surprised if the Wii U will be the last "real" Nintendo home console.

If the Wii U will continue this way and be less popular than GC, considering the increase in the production and development costs and the critical Yen/economical situation, considering the recent HQ building rumors, I will not be surprised if the Wii U will be the last "real" Nintendo home console.

I highly doubt it. I think it would take a Vita level bomb to send Nintendo out of the home console business (speaking worldwide here). As long as they can remain profitable they should be fine which they should be able to manage with strong software sales.

Yeah, less popular than GC, lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

In Europe the risk is concrete.
In the US it sold less games than the GC at its debut.
In Japan we all are talking about a real risk of being "Vitalized"

@Metaslimer: If I understood one thing from the sales age is that the level bar for sustainable money wasted and commercial failure for Nintendo is way lower than Sony's one (look at the billion lost on Xbox360 and PS3 projects)

Who sells machines in January/February anyway?

Nobody

The wiiU is doing wll because its lack of games is during the period people don't buy machines anyway. Everyone just used their money for christmas and aren't gonna invest in the next couple of months.

Celine

It seems this week's Famitsu might not have Capcom's big project, but Top 2012 is there!
Good news and great avatar.

@Metaslimer: If I understood one thing from the sales age is that the level bar for sustainable money wasted and commercial failure for Nintendo is way lower than Sony's one (look at the billion lost on Xbox360 and PS3 projects)
It's just because Nintendo is always on the verge to become third-party.

In Europe the risk is concrete.
In the US it sold less games than the GC at its debut.
In Japan we all are talking about a real risk of being "Vitalized"

Wii U is not going to sell just 21 million units in its lifetime. It's not going to sell barely 4 million units in Japan. It's not going to sell 4.8 million units in Europe.

I think is rather early to say something so concrete about Wii U. Even if it performes at PS3 levels in its first year in Japan, there's no way it will sell as the GC. with all the things that got wrong, Nintendo is still one year before the competition AND it has IP with a huge potential; even if they won't replicate themselves, Wii Fit, Mario, Pokémon, Smash Bros. and Zelda are big franchises, not even close as they did on GC.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

This doesn't even make any sense gamecube was a profitable venture for Nintendo so it wouldn't be the last even if that occurred.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This doesn't even make any sense gamecube was a profitable venture for Nintendo so it wouldn't be the last even if that occurred.

I don't know, I'm seriously worried exactly by the content of your statement. Even the GC was profitable back in the days, while nowadays neither the 3DS that is selling WAY better than GC (not only in Japan) seems unable to sustain Nintendo economy. Not speaking of the Wii U...

Wii U is not going to sell just 21 million units in its lifetime. It's not going to sell barely 4 million units in Japan. It's not going to sell 4.8 million units in Europe.

I think is rather early to say something so concrete about Wii U. Even if it performes at PS3 levels in its first year in Japan, there's no way it will sell as the GC. with all the things that got wrong, Nintendo is still one year before the competition AND it has IP with a huge potential; even if they won't replicate themselves, Wii Fit, Mario, Pokémon, Smash Bros. and Zelda are big franchises, not even close as they did on GC.

I thkn that Fit will be another Brain Training, honestly. And about the other brand: was the Wii to make them so successfull or were them to sustain the Wii? We'll discover in the next couple of years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't know, I'm seriously worried exactly by the content of your statement. Even the GC was profitable back in the days, while nowadays neither the 3DS that is selling WAY better than GC (not only in Japan) seems unable to sustain Nintendo economy. Not speaking of the Wii U...

There was was R&D cxosts and by the end the 3DS will be profitable. Your looking far, far too short term. Not everything needs to be selling at a profit day 1 in order to be profitable. We're looking at the big picture here. Even the gamecube wasn't always profitable. Worst case scenario Nintendo will make a small loss on wii u when all is said and that's still, more than enough assets and incentive to make another console.

Pokemon is handheld the console spinoffs aren't nearly as big, Zelda bombed on the Wii in Japan and was down everywhere else aswell iirc, smash will also be on 3ds, 2d mario isn't pushing the launch and 3d mario isn't as big as 2d mario. WiiFit will be interesting to see but personally i think that ship has sailed .

Like you said it's rather early to say something concrete about the WiiU

Pokemon is handheld the console spinoffs aren't nearly as big, Zelda bombed on the Wii in Japan and was down everywhere else aswell iirc, smash will also be on 3ds, 2d mario isn't pushing the launch and 3d mario isn't as big as 2d mario. WiiFit will be interesting to see but personally i think that ship has sailed .

Well, if you say that Mario, Zelda, WiiFit, etc... aren't big I wonder why other companies even bother to make new machines since they don't have any IP near as big as those. That's just ridiculous.

Zelda is still a big franchise, while bombing it could sell over 4 million units. Do you think the first HD Zelda game ever, that Nintendo will push as one of their most important game ever, won't be able to be a big title? Come on.

Smash Brosh. will be also on 3DS, of course, but this changes the fact that it's a huge IP? NSMB is selling quite well as a launch title, and for Mario 3D holds the same I wrote for Zelda.

Nintendo has a LOT of potential big IPs. Also Mario Kart, for example. And they are ALL bigger than they was during GC-era. Even if declining, they still remain bigger.

I thkn that Fit will be another Brain Training, honestly. And about the other brand: was the Wii to make them so successfull or were them to sustain the Wii? We'll discover in the next couple of years.

So are you genuinely thinking Wii U will sell about 4.8 million units in Europe? And less than 4 million in Japan? No way.

Zelda is still a big franchise, while bombing it could sell over 4 million units. Do you think the first HD Zelda game ever, that Nintendo will push as one of their most important game ever, won't be able to be a big title? Come on.

Smash Brosh. will be also on 3DS, of course, but this changes the fact that it's a huge IP? NSMB is selling quite well as a launch title, and for Mario 3D holds the same I wrote for Zelda.

Nintendo has a LOT of potential big IPs. Also Mario Kart, for example. And they are ALL bigger than they was during GC-era. Even if declining, they still remain bigger.

They were bigger on the Wii and they were big on the gamecube, if they are big on the WiiU it doesn't mean the WiiU will also be big.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So are you genuinely thinking Wii U will sell about 4.8 million units in Europe? And less than 4 million in Japan? No way.

Let's wait for the (horrible, trust me) PAL graphs Nintendo will release within few weeks.
You should also consider how bad is the economical situation in a lot of countries (not only Europe, but especially) nowadays.

Let's wait for the (horrible, trust me) PAL graphs Nintendo will release within few weeks.
You should also consider how bad is the economical situation in a lot of countries (not only Europe, but especially) nowadays.

Yeah, let's wait for the figures of one territory and one month to declare that Wii U will sell worse than GC in its lifetime.

ps: I read you didn't say exactly that, but you said that Wii U might be the last real Nintendo home console, which is even more silly, since that situation will be determined by many other factors. I mean, even PS4 and Nexbox might the last real home consoles for their respective companies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah, let's wait for the figures of one territory and one month to declare that Wii U will sell worse than GC in its lifetime.

ps: I read you didn't say exactly that, but you said that Wii U might be the last real Nintendo home console, which is even more silly, since that situation will be determined by many other factors. I mean, even PS4 and Nexbox might the last real home consoles for their respective companies.

could be, but I'll discuss about them when they'll be on the market struggling in dragging attention from the masses (if)

could be, but I'll discuss about them when they'll be on the market struggling in dragging attention from the masses (if)

Wii U was released two months ago. I think it's too early to say it will be the last Nintendo home console only because of its sales. If we look at Japan, sales are good now; will they be good in January and February? Of course not, but again, will they be enough to say that Nintendo has failed with the platform? Of course not again. There are many, many problem with Wii U, but there is not risk it will vitalized, because only the first party support is granted and strong as usual. I'm not saying it will sell as the Wii, but neither as the GC; Wii U might well have a slower pace at the beginning (not as slow as Vita, because that platform is basically dead), a situation more similar to PS3, but with many more million sellers. Or are you thinking that Mario Kart, Super Smash, Mario 2D won't sell a million units?

nickcv

while the Wii U is surely not performing good is not performing that bad yet, and also we should wait a little more then 1 month before making this kind of predictions

you are way ahead at this moment Aostia

guek

Banned
I wonder how people will react if XB3/PS4 sell less (though I have a hard time imagining anything worse in europe). Likely in my opinion.

Of course, if they only ship 1 million worldwide for the holiday, then it's a sell out and suddenly a resounding success!!

urfe

To me the Wii U will succeed or fail by how it prepares for the launch of the new consoles. Before seeing how it stands against them, it seems really hard to judge lifetime sales. Despite what Nintendo is doing now, they will put up a strong fight against the new consoles.

Wii U might well have a slower pace at the beginning (not as slow as Vita, because that platform is basically dead)

In the UK at least it could be slower, which is especially bad since it released in the holiday sales period.

I wonder how people will react if XB3/PS4 sell less (though I have a hard time imagining anything worse in europe). Likely in my opinion.

Probably the same as now and same as when the vita bombed and when the 3ds was looking shaky and when the PS3 was doing shitty

Of course, if they only ship 1 million worldwide for the holiday, then it's a sell out and suddenly a resounding success!!

Don't worry everyone one and their mother will post that "I just saw 8 sitting on the store shelf" :p

In the UK at least it could be slower, which is especially bad since it released in the holiday sales period.

Probably the same as now and same as when the vita bombed and when the 3ds was looking shaky and when the PS3 was doing shitty

UK market is really in a bad shape, though.

It's clear people (in general, just reading NeoGAF threads) are generally assuming PS4 and Nextbox will be flawless hardware, that they will be released with the perfect price and a line-up of AAA titles; well, it might be possible but I think it's wiser to wait a bit more and see what Sony and MS are working on (and Nintendo as well).

this would mean a huge industry problem, our expectations around here are that the core who purchased PS360 will move to those platforms day 1 so they should do very well.

Japan is the only wild card where Wii U could hold out against the crushing power of those monsters

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
while the Wii U is surely not performing good is not performing that bad yet, and also we should wait a little more then 1 month before making this kind of predictions

you are way ahead at this moment Aostia

I didn't say that it will be the last console, I said that IF it will continue this way (struggling in PAL, declining a lot as it seems considering the tidbits for this week in Japan, not penetrating strongly in US suffering also the Wii competition), with the ACTUAL third party support (almost non-existent) and with the first party games probably affected by the less popularity of the Wii U compared to the Wii (with wii-games as Fit that will suffer the passage to the next console as the ds-games like Brain training suffered the passage to the 3ds), then it's almost sure to be nearer to the GC than the Wii in terms of overall performances.

Where the more popularity of the Nintendo brand will be counter-balanced by the escape of the "core gamers" that sustained the GC back in the day.

And in the actual financial trend Nintendo is showing us despite at least good sales of the 3DS worldwide, I can't imagine them investing again in 2018 on another traditional home console (and the hybrid rumors could be not so strange, considering how successfull are their hendheld, how the West seems to not embrace them as the messiah, and how the Wii U already pushes some sort of portable-home concept)

BriBri

It's clear people (in general, just reading NeoGAF threads) are generally assuming PS4 and Nextbox will be flawless hardware, that they will be released with the perfect price and a line-up of AAA titles; well, it might be possible but I think it's wiser to wait a bit more and see what Sony and MS are working on (and Nintendo as well).
It's not just me that sees that then?! The UK market is worrisome. HMV's woes are a negative for all. (the relative failure of) New consoles launching at a high price (3DS, Vita and Wii U) is more indicative of the market as a whole than at individual machines (obviously they all err individually in many instances) so I worry for the future of the whole next-gen.

PaulLFC

I keep seeing this excuse get used. Yes the market isn't what it used to be, but if something is desirable enough and marketed well enough, it still sells. A combination of factors have caused the poor sales of the Wii U in the UK so far, and that can't be blamed on "the state of the market". I fully expect if PS4/720 is marketed well enough, it will sell well here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's not in any worse shape now than it was in march though

It's actually worse, now.

I keep seeing this excuse get used. Yes the market isn't what it used to be, but if something is desirable enough and marketed well enough, it still sells. A combination of factors have caused the poor sales of the Wii U in the UK so far, and that can't be blamed on "the state of the market". I fully expect if PS4/720 is marketed well enough, it will sell well here.

Not only Wii U, but also Vita and 3DS; none of the new products seem able to penetrate that market FOR REAL, up to now. with different degrees.
So, If more desirable, the nextHD will sell better.
Sell well up to now is impossible I think, overthere.

I highly doubt it. I think it would take a Vita level bomb to send Nintendo out of the home console business (speaking worldwide here). As long as they can remain profitable they should be fine which they should be able to manage with strong software sales.

It would take something like four consecutive console bombs to knock out Nintendo.

BriBri

Can't both be true? Apple are obviously proving popular in spite of the market (irrespective of whether iPhone 5 has 'under performed'), yet the Surface which I have seen a million adverts for hasn't captured as much of the imagination of the consumers (as in sales). The most worrying thing for me is how the consumer (not necessarily people on GAF) see a value of the new consoles as being overpriced (they *need* a smartphone and *need* a tablet so can justify that expense, but feel they don't need a Wii U, Vita or whatever.

nickcv

I didn't say that it will be the last console, I said that IF it will continue this way (struggling in PAL, declining a lot as it seems considering the tidbits for this week in Japan, not penetrating strongly in US suffering also the Wii competition), with the ACTUAL third party support (almost non-existent) and with the first party games probably affected by the less popularity of the Wii U compared to the Wii (with wii-games as Fit that will suffer the passage to the next console as the ds-games like Brain training suffered the passage to the 3ds), then it's almost sure to be nearer to the GC than the Wii in terms of overall performances.

Where the more popularity of the Nintendo brand will be counter-balanced by the escape of the "core gamers" that sustained the GC back in the day.

And in the actual financial trend Nintendo is showing us despite at least good sales of the 3DS worldwide, I can't imagine them investing again in 2018 on another traditional home console (and the hybrid rumors could be not so strange, considering how successfull are their hendheld, how the West seems to not embrace them as the messiah, and how the Wii U already pushes some sort of portable-home concept)

nintendo surely has to prove itself, but anyhow i think that the PAL market has a problem regardless of how nintendo is performing.
the sales are really anemic on all platforms at this moment

Ragus

Banned
I hope that WiiU has pathetic numbers this week. If this is what it takes for this console to have great annoucements, then be it.

Top Bottom