• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)

nampad

Hmm?

No it's not.
It's not more hardcore than a 3DS and probably isn't even on the same level if we count games.
I don't even want to start listing every deep or hard game on the 3DS because list wars sucks. And it's the system the gamers are actually buying.

Shield is not even in the same ballpark. It's an Android device that plays android games. If that's your distorted definition of hardcore, then I don't want to even get near any device rated hardcore by you. Probably would include Smartphones as "hardcore gaming device" too.

I said hardware. The 3DS hardware sucks for core gamers. Weak techlevel, low res screen, missing second analog nub. If I also include OS features, then stuff like cross game voice chat is missing etc.

I didn't talk about the games which the 3DS has.

redcrayon

I said hardware. The 3DS hardware sucks for core gamers. Weak techlevel, low res screen, missing second analog nub. If I also include OS features, then stuff like cross game voice chat is missing etc.

I didn't talk about the games which the 3DS has.
So, despite me spending thousands of hours last year on the 3DS, am I not a 'core' gamer if I don't give a monkeys about any of that stuff? I buy lots of portable games and systems, the games library is by far and away the biggest consideration for me, so I'm happy with both a Vita and a 3DS. Cross game voice chat is the absolute last thing I care about on a portable console. Also, a second analogue isn't missing if the games are also built around stylus/touch/gyro control, it only counts as missing if you begin with the arbitrary idea that a 'core' machine needs two sticks. Seeing as the 3DS software lineup last year was epic and not one of them needed two sticks, it's clearly not the be-all and end-all for your 'core gamers' unless you are only interested in home-console style action games.

For me stylus control on something like Layton or Phoenix Wright is far more useful than a second stick, but then I'm not interested in FPS and racing games, so to each their own. Ultimately, caring about tech isn't the only marker of someone who buys a shitload of games. For me the hardware just has to be supported by lots of good games.

Exile20

Eh, fair enough, can't argue with that. I know what you mean too, I rarely play my 360 nowadays but I've no idea why. It's a great game and I own a ton of great games for it. I'd just rather play other (handheld) stuff most of the time.

Yeah, I guess it's one of those 'diff'rent strokes' things. I think the dedicated Vita library might be one of the best I've ever known for a handheld, and I think I've owned every mainstream handheld ever made. Add the PS4 library and shit is just bonkers. It certainly hasn't caught on with the masses though, many of whom assume it has 'no games' and many more that simply aren't interested in any of the games it has. Again, I can understand that, you could shoot the Wii library off into space and I don't think much of value would be lost, yet it's one of the best selling consoles ever made.

As for my enthusiasm, well, I'm primarily a handheld gamer that likes traditional 3D titles generally associated with consoles. The Vita is the first (and only) device that can do proper justice to 3D games. The only thing I can imagine more perfect than the Vita would be a Vita case housing a Steam powered portable PC.

Man, if I adhered to that logic, I'd never have bought a PS4. Or a PS3. Or a Vita. Or a 3DS.

All of your post about the Vita is just borderline nauseating.

And this line in you post is just ridiculous. Opinions tho I guess.

That Wii line, are you kidding? The Wii had some awesome games. what the hell man.

SmokyDave

All of your post about the Vita is just borderline nauseating.
I'd probably get that looked at if I were you, that reaction is unnatural and suggests some deep, underlying trauma.

And this line in you post is just ridiculous. Opinions tho I guess.
You know that thing you like? I think it's shit. So there.

(It cracks me up that you genuinely seem unable to comprehend a preference different to your own).

That Wii line, are you kidding? The Wii had some awesome games. what the hell man.
Your appreciation of the terrible Wii library has made me bilious.

nampad

So, despite me spending thousands of hours last year on the 3DS, am I not a 'core' gamer if I don't give a monkeys about any of that stuff? I buy lots of portable games and systems, the games library is by far and away the biggest consideration for me, so I'm happy with both a Vita and a 3DS.

Caring about tech isn't the only marker of someone who buys a shitload of games.

No, how about you guys just read what I wrote instead of reacting like butthurt fanboys?
I said it is weird that core gamers like to see the Vita fail.

I said that the 3DS hardware isn't exactly what core gamers want.

I never said anything about games, which of course are the biggest reason to buy a platform. And yes, the 3DS is also a platform for core gamers because it has the games.

redcrayon

No, how about you guys just read what I wrote instead of reacting like butthurt fanboys?
I said it is weird that core gamers like to see the Vita fail.

I said that the 3DS hardware isn't exactly what core gamers want.

I never said anything about games, which of course are the biggest reason to buy a platform. And yes, the 3DS is also a platform for core gamers because it has the games.
Jesus, no need for the name calling.

Here's the problem with your argument, you seem hung up on the lack of a second stick when we agree that it's clearly not essential to having a good games library. The 3DS is a platform for core gamers, we agree there. The games are good, we also agree there. Those games use a variety of control inputs, including a stylus, touch and gyro, but you seem hung up on a second stick being essential. It is for FPS games, but there aren't very many of those on 3DS and it still has an epic games library.

For your 'core gamers' who want console-style FPS games, third-person action games and online multiplayer, I can see why they think a second stick and voice chat is missing. But I'd like to think they can also see that for 'core gamers' like me, who prefer solitary puzzle, RPG and strategy games, the hardware points you mention just don't matter at all. I'd trade anything to do with online and second sticks for a touch screen and a stylus in a heartbeat. Stop thinking of 'core gamers' as a homogenous mass.

nampad

Who are these mythical 'core gamers' then, and why do I not count as one despite being happy with the hardware that let's me spend hundreds of hours on Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter?

You are dodging the question of why only your very narrow view of what a 'core game' is counts.

So you deliberately miss the part where I said the 3DS is also good for core gamers because of the games, which are the most important reason to buy a platform?

And you are pissed because my narrow definition of core gamers doesn't fit your definition? Maybe it is your definition, that core gamers don't care about hardware at all, which is wrong. Yes, some may not care, but most probably do. If we don't care about hardware, why did all the next gen threads explode over some more pixels or frames per second?
Why do we need new hardware at all?

redcrayon

So you deliberately miss the part where I said the 3DS is also good for core gamers because of the games, which are the most important reason to buy a platform?
No, not deliberately. See my edit above, I realised my mistake shortly before you posted and it took me a couple of minutes to correct. Apologies.

And you are pissed because my narrow definition of core gamers doesn't fit your definition?
The only person throwing around words like 'butthurt', 'fanboy' and 'pissed' is you. It's unnecessary. My point is that my definition is broad, whereas your initial definition was narrow and excluded me. They aren't equivalent.

Maybe it is your definition, that core gamers don't care about hardware at all, which is wrong. Yes, some may not care, but most probably do. If we don't care about hardware, why did all the next gen threads explode over some more pixels or frames per second?
Why do we need new hardware at all?

No. I said that I don't care, not that all core gamers don't care. The next gen threads about pixel counts and frame rates also concern home consoles rather than portables, and also forumites, who (if the buying habits listed here are any indication)aren't exactly a typical 'core gamer.' But my point is that I'm not sure a majority of 'core gamers' do care about that stuff if the machine has an awesome range of games that we've already established. Tech concerns are important to a far smaller and more vocal subset, not to say that their concerns don't matter, but I wouldn't say they are 'most core gamers'. Certainly weaker hardware has a history of being popular because of the games range and price over hardware concerns, see the PS2, core gamers home machine of choice and biggest selling console.

My definition allows for us to have different tastes, yours doesn't, which is why I'm saying your initial broad sweeping judgement of what 'core gamers want' is incorrect, but you seem to have softened that slightly on your last post. Perhaps we can find some central ground if we change your initial argument of '3DS isn't what core gamers want' to '3DS isn't what gamers interested in a portable with high specs and twin sticks want', which is probably true and a lot more specific.

Everytime someone is happy with the Vita, some other guy react as fast as possible saying 3ds is better and has better games.

This freak-war is insane...

redcrayon

I'm happy with both, for different reasons. I think the Vita is amazing hardware while the 3DS is about functional, but 'functional' also gets the job done if the games don't require anything more.

AmanoBuff

I'm happy with both, for different reasons.

I'm happy with both too, although I do have a preference for the Vita for several reasons that I was going to point out on a long, thoughtful post. But then I saw the conversation degenerate lightning fast, so why bother?

More on topic. Kind of a noob question, but why is the thread called Media Create? For all I see Famitsu seems to be the better tracker? Is there any particular reason why MC numbers seem to be favored here?

More on topic. Kind of a noob question, but why is the thread called Media Create? For all I see Famitsu seems to be the better tracker? Is there any particular reason why MC numbers seem to be favored here?
It has kind of become 'tradition', if you will. If I'm remembering correctly back then unless we got leaked Enterbrain data, official Media Create numbers used to come out faster so it's the one that always started up the threads.

ohlawd

I'm happy with my Vita. It's only good for anime but still, that's ok right. Just wanted to say this since we're all letting out our true feelings and shit. This is some bizarro shit like we're in those "I have a problem with... drinking, drugs, sex," meetings except with video games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, this thread needs numbers.

Even from Comgnet charts.

redcrayon

I'm happy with both too, although I do have a preference for the Vita for several reasons that I was going to point out on a long, thoughtful post. But then I saw the conversation degenerate lightning fast, so why bother?

You are a wiser forumite than I :)

It's easy to see how people can prefer the Vita, it is a beautiful, very capable piece of kit, I prefer my 3DS seven days out of ten but only due to a personal preference for the games. Vita is sexy as hell. And Persona is just pure awesome. Can't wait for Toukiden too.

Back on track, anyone want to hazard a guess at final LTD for P&Dz? I wonder if a sequel is inevitable yet?

Hey, hey. Time to mellow out a bit.
Let's turn those swords into ploughshares guys. No need to hate.
Both are great systems. Just pick one that has software that matches your tastes.

Personally, I'm deep in the Vita camp, cause Hunting Action is my drug.
Also super niche otaku swag.
My 3DS is my Fire Emblem/SMT/EO machine. Those saying there aren't hardcore titles on the system are incorrect.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Garaph hasn't updated in forever. It is only useful for historical data now.

I was really saddened when I tried to consult Garaph a couple of weeks ago only to find out that a title from mid-2013 wasn't in the database :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
you post those all the time. you do it.

do one for that Phantasy Star game. Preorders should be up, no?

We don't even have a release date for Nova. It's not there, though.

Comgnet store chain corner - "Lesstopdaconsolewar" Emergency Edition - as of January, 13th

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. - 216pt
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost - 144pt (Premium Sound G Edition) + 108pt (normal) = 252pt

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters - 228pt
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII - 310pt
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2 - 153pt

[PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 - 194pt
[Wii] Sengoku Basara 3 - 47pt
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 - 79pt + 22pt (special edition) = 101pt

[PS3] Yakuza Kenzan - 82pt
[PS3] Yakuza 4 - 215pt
[PS3] Yakuza 5 - 157pt
[PS3] Yakuza Ishin - 67pt
[PS4] Yakuza Ishin - 28pt

[PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 - 52pt
[PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi - 40pt
[PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z - 32pt

I was really saddened when I tried to consult Garaph a couple of weeks ago only to find out that a title from mid-2013 wasn't in the database :(

Yeah, JoshuaJSlone is the mastermind behind the site, he gave a lowdown after I asked him about it on the website:

http://garaph.info/index.php

2013-12-09 12:51:30

I have been asked why I haven't updated the site in so long. The short answer is: For now I've lost the "sales spark". The longer answer: A combination of lowered interest, spending less time on GAF, and letting my attention wander elsewhere.

When I first started doing the database/charting stuff that eventually became Garaph, it was around the time of DS/PSP launch. There was a really interesting competition going on for a while there, followed by the insane record-breaking performance of DS, followed by the insane record-breaking performance of Wii in its earlier years. Lately there hasn't been anything nearly so interesting. Both from the perspective of sales and as a Nintendo fanboy I find 3DS and Wii U far less interesting than DS and Wii were. Without that interest, doing the necessary weekly updates to keep things up to date became more of a chore. The real biggie was when Famitsu yet again changed the layout of their page, meaning I'd have to modify much of my software that parsed the page to make updating a simpler task. I just didn't feel like getting to it right away, and haven't yet.

GAF is someplace I spent a looooot of time. After some net connection troubles kept me away cold turkey for a week or so, though, I decided to try to continue staying away more since I'd already gone through the hard part, and see what else I filled the time with. Largely this ended up being watching a lot more TV and playing more games, but that probably beats more talking about TV and talking about games. Now I visit occasionally, but I don't have the strong connection. Garaph was basically an outcome of being part of the GAF Sales-Age community, so the lessening of that connection lessened my reasoning for keeping Garaph up to date.

Something not many people seem to realize is that part of the site does stay up to date--the Media Create hardware. That is properly set up to grab the data straight from the site every week, so as long as that's continued on a pretty regular schedule and without a change in format or new systems being added, it hasn't taken work on my part. However, since the weekly sales page defaults to the last Famitsu data, you don't notice the data is there unless you go make a graph that would use it.

My attention has also wandered to new and unexpected interests. By way of the Rhythm Heaven series I ended up getting really into Tsunku's music, and finding another small niche I could fill with a database site. It's extremely different in topic and content from Garaph, but is also very obviously Garaph's sibling in terms of page design. DohBell, my database of Hello! Project music.

All the above said, I figure this will catch my interest again someday. I still try to save copies of the weekly results, so they'll be there to parse whenever I get to it. The first time I built up data I had years of old data to find and deal with--the next time I resume I should have an easier time.

Glass Rebel

[PS3] Sengoku Basara 3 - 194pt
[Wii] Sengoku Basara 3 - 47pt
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 - 79pt + 22pt (special edition) = 101pt

looks like SB4 will be the last Sengoku Basara
imjMpes.png

#teamfamitsu

- highest market coverage
- longest in the business
- largest database/archives

But does Famitsu give you software sales for every platform? Does it distinguish between Vita and Vita TV or 3DS and 3DS LL? Does it give you any more sales / rankings beyond the Top 30? THAT'S RIGHT, IT DOESN'T!

#TeamDengeki #TeamMediaCreate

;-)

Glass Rebel

?

It says PS3 there.

I'm just playing. Pre-orders seem to be down compared to SB3. But there are still 9 days to go afaik. A few pages ago I was wondering why Capcom isn't making a Vita version of SB4 like Tecmo does for most (all?) of their Musou games now.

#TeamWhateverTrackerTracksMyFavouriteGamesHigher

But on a more serious not, I like each for different reasons. I'm partial to Dengeki though. Their weekly data is so comprehensive and usually worth the longer wait.

DaBoss

I'm just playing since pre-orders seem to be down compared to SB3. But There are still 9 days to go afaik. A few pages ago I was wondering why Capcom isn't making a Vita version of SB4 like Tecmo does for most (all?) of their Musou games now.
Oh, I thought I was missing something there lol.

I think they should have done a multi-plat release (PS3/PSV).

Everytime someone is happy with the Vita, some other guy react as fast as possible saying 3ds is better and has better games.

This freak-war is insane...

It's childish, both devices are awesome and each has their pros/cons like any other device. Another Gaffer told me it was worse in the PSP/DS days smh.

Yeah the PS3/Vita multi approach has proved very beneficial for many publishers in Japan. Not sure why Capcom didn't bother branching out to Vita for a few extra K sales. Certainly has to be a more worthwhile venture than Dragon's Dogma Quest :p Plus doesn't Basara 4 run on MT Framework? I'm sure a Vita port would be feasible since they got that running on a Vita early on.

Is this a fact?

Famitsu states that it tracks "3,600 stores." Media Create / Dengeki are less specific, only saying that they track some number above 3,000.

No tracker gets every single store...that's why there is always so much deviance between the three trackers. They each have their own set of relationships with different retailers and receive a slightly different perspective of the Japanese market.

I don't think we can conclusively determine that Famitsu "has the most market coverage." We just know exact numbers for the amount of stores they track.

Glass Rebel

If SB4 gets an updated version like SB3 Utage, I could see that coming to Vita as well.

On the other hand, this is Capcom we're talking about.

Yeah the PS3/Vita multi approach has proved very beneficial for many publishers in Japan. Not sure why Capcom didn't bother branching out to Vita for a few extra K sales. Certainly has to be a more worthwhile venture than Dragon's Dogma Quest :p Plus doesn't Basara 4 run on MT Framework? I'm sure a Vita port would be feasible since they got that running on a Vita early on.

I actually think SB3 ran on MT Framework Lite on both PS3 and Wii. The way SB4 looks, it's probably the same again so it should certainly be feasible.

allan-bh

Redhood

Now that we have a certain idea how much VIta FFX and X-2 will do in LTD can someone post the sales data for original PSP FF games FF:CC; FFType-0; Dissidia etc.

I actually think SB3 ran on MT Framework Lite on both PS3 and Wii. The way SB4 looks, it's probably the same again so it should certainly be feasible.

Yeah it did. But I was thinking that was because the Wii version was the lead platform at the time. No reason to keep using that version with the PS3 being the only platform now...I think.

She said "more" than 3.000

But yes, is very nice to have 3 good trackers with alot of public data, while for U.S. we have the terrible NPD. Is so bad that not even weekly sales they can provide.

NPD has a monopoly on USA sales data, so they have no motivation to go above and beyond the absolute bare minimum of public advertising.

The great thing about having three trackers is that they're in constant competition with each other. I think the amount of data we get stems from that competitive atmosphere.

You can get all the NPD sales data you desire...as long as you have $36,000 in your pocket for a yearly subscription.

Top Bottom