• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)

Not that I'll pay an amount of these, but NPD accepts a common person as a subscriber?

Very few people will shell out that kind of money from their own personal budgets just for sales data, but if you're willing to spend it, it's not off the table. NPD Group likes money.

AmanoBuff

Because people rather play a console game with better controls and on a big TV.

The WII has Xenoblade.

Won.

That conversation is long gone pal. But don't worry, lurk around the first page of the gaming community and you'll find plenty of opportunities to defend the games and consoles you prefer.

Now that we have a certain idea how much VIta FFX and X-2 will do in LTD can someone post the sales data for original PSP FF games FF:CC; FFType-0; Dissidia etc.

Now that you mention that, I'd really like to know if we have LTD sales for FFCC and Dissidia on the west. I'd like to see how those games performed compared to Japan.

NPD has a monopoly on USA sales data, so they have no motivation to go above and beyond the absolute bare minimum of public advertising.

The great thing about having three trackers is that they're in constant competition with each other. I think the amount of data we get stems from that competitive atmosphere.

You can get all the NPD sales data you desire...as long as you have $36,000 in your pocket for a yearly subscription.

The fuck? How are there no other attempts at the market at that kind of bullshit price?

T
Because the only competition is chartz and we seen how that worked out.

Chartz isn't even competition. It's little more than a professional guessing website. NPD is the only provider of real, accurate, and trustworthy sales information.

The fuck? How are there no other attempts at the market at that kind of bullshit price?

It's market precedent. They set an absurdly high entry price to protect the integrity of their data. If it was like $100 a month, anyone could just swoop in, grab the data, and dump it online very easily.

Hell, even NPD---as expensive as it is---has been subject to a massive amount of leaks over the years. Especially here on GAF. ;-)

NPD is pretty cheap, relatively speaking. GfK is much worse. For the complete set of European data you'll pay like $23,000 a month.

NPD (USA only) - $3,000+ a month
NPD (Canada / Australia) - I have no idea, but probably like $3,000 a month each as well
Famitsu (Japan) - $4,600 a month
GfK (Europe) - $23,000 a month

That's what you have to pay to get a set of worldwide data.

Takao

Banned
Yeah the PS3/Vita multi approach has proved very beneficial for many publishers in Japan. Not sure why Capcom didn't bother branching out to Vita for a few extra K sales. Certainly has to be a more worthwhile venture than Dragon's Dogma Quest :p Plus doesn't Basara 4 run on MT Framework? I'm sure a Vita port would be feasible since they got that running on a Vita early on.

Proper Capcom Japan hasn't announced a Vita game since 2011. The crappy online games division is behind DDQ, and MHFG.

Road

Platform flame wars in a Media Create thread, oh my.
It must be Tuesday.

Hell, even NPD---as expensive as it is---has been subject to a massive amount of leaks over the years. Especially here on GAF. ;-)

NPD is pretty cheap, relatively speaking. GfK is much worse. For the complete set of European data you'll pay like $23,000 a month.

NPD (USA only) - $3,000+ a month
NPD (Canada / Australia) - I have no idea, but probably like $3,000 a month each as well
Famitsu (Japan) - $4,600 a month
GfK (Europe) - $23,000 a month

That's what you have to pay to get a set of worldwide data.
I'm actually surprised to see NPD is only $3000/mo. I always imagined it would be more like $10000/mo.

Anyway, as if there were any doubt, sell-through blog on the upcoming sales numbers: "abrupt decline".

It must be Tuesday.

I'm actually surprised to see NPD is only $3000/mo. I always imagined it would be more like $10000/mo.

Well, there are tiers and gradations to the whole process. For example, you can have just numbers, or you can have numbers and analyses of the numbers, or you can get reports about the trends of the market...you know, stuff like that.

It also can depend on what kind of client you are, how much data you order, when you order it, etc. The prices can be variable depending on factors like that.

Extremely detailed NPD analyses / reports can easily add another $5,000-$10,000.

Presumably, the precedent for sales pricing is based on how many territories you cover. GfK covers a vast amount of countries, so it's incredibly expensive because you need the sales data for each country / region...which is a separate report with its own price tag.

NPD USA sales is just one database from one country...the USA may be a large country, but I don't think it's significantly harder for the company to gather numbers than countries like Canada or Australia.

Shengar

NPD has a monopoly on USA sales data, so they have no motivation to go above and beyond the absolute bare minimum of public advertising.

The great thing about having three trackers is that they're in constant competition with each other. I think the amount of data we get stems from that competitive atmosphere.

You can get all the NPD sales data you desire...as long as you have $36,000 in your pocket for a yearly subscription.

That's quite cheap I think, for corporation
phoenix-sweating%28a%29.gif

So for Japanese sales data, most of them are free then?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is there some reason behind this or is it just that they don't want to?

They properly saw the games the games they did release do badly and while looking at Vita's sales at the time decided to end most of the projects. and likely moved them over to smart phones. They haven't really supported the 3DS that much outside of MH and RE:R.

Spiegel

They haven't really supported the 3DS that much outside of MH and RE:R.

Sure. Outside of their three biggest franchises (MH3G, MH4, RE:R, RE:M, SSF4), their other big japanese franchise (PW5) and new IPs (EX Troopers, Gaist Crusher) they really haven't supported the 3DS that much.

No, Capcom has been a really good 3DS supporter.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sure. Outside of their three biggest franchises (MH3G, MH4, RE:R, RE:M, SSF4), their other big japanese franchise (PW5) and new IPs (EX Troopers, Gaist Crusher) they really haven't supported the 3DS that much.

How many of those came at launch (notice the Vita received support at launch), I rest my case. It's not like they've released nothing but lets not pretend there isn't a large gulf in support in comparison to say the psp, or even DS. The total lack of MH spin offs is pretty glaring.

But people don't really expect anything but MH and PW going forward, I thought? EX troopers and gaist crusher were bombs, and ssf and RE didn't do well enough to warrant continued releases, as far as we can tell. I don't follow this stuff that closely, these are my impressions of this off my occasional thread lurknig.

DaBoss

How many of those came at launch (notice the Vita received support at launch), I rest my case. It's not like they've released nothing but lets not pretend there isn't a large gulf in support in comparison to say the psp, or even DS. The total lack of MH spin offs is pretty glaring.
1? SSF3D is the only one that came out at launch.

The spin-offs are now more of a mobile thing while the mainline titles will come out on the 3DS, with ports and MHFG being available on other consoles.
But people don't really expect anything but MH and PW going forward, I thought? EX troopers and gaist crusher were bombs, and ssf and RE didn't do well enough to warrant continued releases, as far as we can tell. I don't follow this stuff that closely, these are my impressions of this off my occasional thread lurknig.
I don't think that is true.

They know the main RE audience is on consoles where the big money can be made, but it seemd that RE:R did pretty well. SSF43D did really well, but that could be attributed to the fact that it was a launch title.

I don't think that is true.

They know the main RE audience is on consoles where the big money can be made. SSF43D did really well, but that could be attributed to the fact that it was a launch title.

I guess that's what I mean: there's more money to be made off a console entry. The games would've had to be really big hits to keep handheld editions coming. The end result still seems to be that there won't be a revelations 2 for 3ds unless they take the handhelds -> hd edition path again, and plan that in advance.

DaBoss

Both RE were launch period (first year). That leaves MH and new IP's, not an amazing amount of support, not exactly nothing, but like I said. it's not really great either..
What? Launch period is more like the first 3 months, unless you're Nintendo which is 6 months.
I guess that's what I mean: there's more money to be made off a console entry. The games would've had to be really big hits to keep handheld editions coming. The end result still seems to be that there won't be a revelations 2 for 3ds unless they take the handhelds -> hd edition path again, and plan that in advance.
I don't think they would even do a handheld version of RE if they weren't planning on doing an HD port, but RE:R HD didn't seem to do well globally.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's some Nintendo definition of launch period. I don't think the rest of the world agrees.

What do you consider launch period, it's pretty much universal. Why do you think people consider Infamous SS as part of launch period and Titanfall.

3 months more people than Nintendo use more than that definition.

Either way Merc is launch is period.

Takao

Banned
What do you consider launch period, it's pretty much universal. Why do you think people consider Infamous SS as part of launch period and Titanfall.

I'd say the first three to four months counts as launch window. Resident Evil: Revelations launched eleven months later.

I've said this before, but that game really had no place being a 3DS exclusive. Resident Evil has no real heritage on handhelds, and it could've easily been a PSV/3DS multiplatform release, but I guess Nintendo (who apparently published it in Europe) wasn't having that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd say the first three to four months counts as launch window. Resident Evil: Revelations launched eleven months later.

A lot of media does not which is why I've heard to term used in regards to those games a lot.

No doubt Nintendo played a hand but I don't think a Vita release would have made much of a difference to games fortunes, Vita's software sales weren't so hot at the time and the system was barely out. It's not a surprise Capcom decided to go with the Nintendo exclusivity and likely saved some money.

DaBoss

A lot of media does not which is why I've heard to term used in regards to those games a lot.
Titanfall and Second Son fall within the 4 month period pretty much.

This is a semantics argument, which will go no where, except it is certain that no one considers the first year of a console launch to be a part of its launch period.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Titanfall and Second Son fall within the 4 month period pretty much.

This is a semantics argument, which will go no where, except it is certain that no one considers the first year of a console launch to be a part of its launch period.

No they don't. that's closer to the 6 month barrier than 4.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Famitsu states that it tracks "3,600 stores." Media Create / Dengeki are less specific, only saying that they track some number above 3,000.

No tracker gets every single store...that's why there is always so much deviance between the three trackers. They each have their own set of relationships with different retailers and receive a slightly different perspective of the Japanese market.

I don't think we can conclusively determine that Famitsu "has the most market coverage." We just know exact numbers for the amount of stores they track.

So if none of the trackers get every single store, does that mean that the number of sales is definitely more than what all the trackers report? Or do trackers do some kind of adjustment to account for stores they are missing?

The following image comes courtesy of a long-term study done by Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications and SMBC Nikko Securities, Inc., who shared it in a recent investor note.

It details the rise of the Japanese smartphone gaming industry and the decline of the feature phone markets.

jurekmC.png

Scum

WiiU - 18k
Kirby - 60k

The following image comes courtesy of a long-term study done by Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications and SMBC Nikko Securities, Inc., who shared it in a recent investor note.

It details the rise of the Japanese smartphone gaming industry and the decline of the feature phone markets.

jurekmC.png

Time for NCL to add "Mobile game development" to their portfolio.

L Thammy

Why does it matter if it's at launch or not? Capcom had three times as many titles released for the 3DS when it was the same age as the Vita current is. At the time, the 3DS was just a few months away from Monster Hunter 4 and Ace Attorney 5.

If you still want to talk about launch, let's remember that Resident Evil: Revelations was one of the big 3DS titles being pimped out before the 3DS was launched. The disparity was always huge: Capcom had decided to take risks on in only one of the two.

Top Bottom