• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2014 (Mar 03 - Mar 09)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
In hindsight, I think Wii U made the console market in Japan, slightly toxic. I think when they saw just how badly it was doing (both in home county and worldwide), it affected the plans to start developing on the other next gen consoles based on that. I'm pretty much everyone is surprised at how well PS4 is going worldwide. Question is - is it enough?

Eh, from the beginning no publisher invested on Wii U because they saw its failure coming. That they were confirmed should lead to bigger PS4 support, not less.

B.O.O.M

Wii U is heading for GC hw numbers. PS4 beating it isn't an achievement.

The only logical target I can see it matching is PS3. it won't be the second coming of Christ some were expecting.

oh for sure. I'm not arguing it will be that big of a success either. Days of ps2 are well behind us :)

The whole argument came about because some are saying wiiu will or at least have a chance of outselling ps4 LT...I don't see that happening at all. For that to happen ps4 will end up a failure of epic proportions

Busaiku

In hindsight, I think Wii U made the console market in Japan, slightly toxic. I think when they saw just how badly it was doing (both in home county and worldwide), it affected the plans to start developing on the other next gen consoles based on that. I'm pretty much everyone is surprised at how well PS4 is going worldwide. Question is - is it enough?

No publisher was ever going to approach Wii U after the Wii/PS3 situation (where PS3 was, and still is, a much better ecosystem).
It has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the console industry in Japan.

Metallix87

The whole argument came about because some are saying wiiu will or at least have a chance of outselling ps4 LT...I don't see that happening at all. For that to happen ps4 will end up a failure of epic proportions

I'm not calling the PS4 a failure, I'm saying the Japanese console market is so dead, it's possible. These weekly sales are abysmal, even when compared to Wii U sales, and we had people saying that the PS4 would be an unstoppable success in the region. I think it's too soon to say it outselling Wii U is a given, but I do think the time is right to start considering the console market in Japan dead.

No publisher was ever going to approach Wii U after the Wii/PS3 situation (where PS3 was, and still is, a much better ecosystem).
It has absolutely nothing to do with the state of the console industry in Japan.
True, but as I've said before, Wii had a toxic ecosystem primarily because of third parties dumping gallons of waste on it for a period of roughly four years straight.

TheChaos0

Eh, from the beginning no publisher invested on Wii U because they saw its failure coming. That they were confirmed should lead to bigger PS4 support, not less.

Keyword being slightly. I'm saying that people could easily made the same conclusion that the console market was dead worldwise and shift their resources elsewhere. You would otherwise expect at least some more released by now from the Japanese developers.

They either were no longer interested (mobile/handheld), they got spooked by Wii U/general stalesness/decline of the market or they are simply incompetent and unable to develop anything in any reasonable timeline. It may as well be all three combined.

But like you said, there was never much interest in Wii U, which is exactly why it's in the place it is now. My worry is, that there seems to be even less interest (at least launchwise) for PS4. I know that Japan may be a slow adopter but it's almost embarassing if you look at what has been announced. The good thing though, the rest of the world is very much interested in PS4.

Do you have short term memory?

This is pretty much the PS3 situation ( in terms of release schedule) again.

Out of the notable PS3 holiday titles for its first year how many did we know by March?

Hot Shots Golf 5
DW Gundam
GT5P
WE 2008
Musou 5

You guys are acting extremely silly right now. You do not know the entire 2014 lineup let alone 2015 lineup.

That's a pretty fallacious comparison, given that PS3 had mainline installments in nearly every significant Japanese console franchise (FF, RE, MGS, DW, DMC, Tekken) announced before launch, almost none of them cross-gen. I don't dispute that FFXV and KHIII will sell well and move decent quantities of hardware in Japan whenever they finally see release, but for now, most signs point to an even slower transition than PS2->PS3 was.

Heck, even the medium-sized (Sega, Bamco, Tecmo) and niche (NI, Gust, Falcom, etc.) JP publishers that generally stuck by Vita when it was cratering in 2012 have announced very little for PS4.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Hey Nerds. Wii U is selling like shit. PS4 is looking to end up the same. Shut the hell up and accept that the console industry is in a massive decline in Japan with handhelds behind them. Got fanboys in here waving dicks in a micro-penis contest.

This nerd for one realizes that the console industry is declining in japan and I was saying that before the ps4 launched but some gaffers claimed ps4 would 'save' Japan and that it was the 2nd coming of Christ. Ps4 fans will
hopefully
soon join us in accepting the state of of the Japanese home console industry.

B.O.O.M

I'm not calling the PS4 a failure, I'm saying the Japanese console market is so dead, it's possible. These weekly sales are abysmal, even when compared to Wii U sales, and we had people saying that the PS4 would be an unstoppable success in the region. I think it's too soon to say it outselling Wii U is a given, but I do think the time is right to start considering the console market in Japan dead..

I don't think it's too soon tbh. And this side by side comparison of wiiu vs ps4 is a bit faulty without context. WiiU launched in December with a 2d Mario game...PS4 launched with a multiplat yakuza and knack lol, in February

Console market has declined WW to a certain extent. But I don't think WiiU which has failed in such a huge way ww is an indication the health of the market. It's just a bad product, no matter which market it's in. With time we will get a better idea...but I don't think it's fair to say a market is dead due to the failure of a console that has failed everywhere else as well.

Metallix87

but I don't think it's fair to say a market is dead due to the failure of a console that has failed everywhere else as well.

No, but I think it's fair to say it when the second console stumbles out of the gates with even worse sales, and with not a single potential system seller in sight until 2015.

sörine

Banned
yes and thats not many. What is like 4 franchises?
Yes, over just 3 years. In it's first 3 years PS3 had a whole two 3rd party games over 500k.

Here's all the 3rd party franchises that have so far done over 500k on each.

PS3 (8 years)
  1. Final Fantasy (2 games)
  2. Resident Evil (2 games)
  3. Musou (2 games)
  4. Metal Gear Solid (1 game)
  5. Tales (1)
  6. Yakuza (2)
  7. Gundam (1)

3DS (3 years)
  1. Monster Hunter (2 games)
  2. Dragon Quest (3 games)
  3. Puzzle & Dragon (1 game)
  4. Run for Money (1 game)
  5. Taiko no Tatsujin (1 game)
  6. Yokai Watch (1 game)

I'm not seeing much of a difference except that PS3 is pretty much done while 3DS has a lot still ahead for it.

That's a pretty fallacious comparison, given that PS3 had mainline installments in nearly every significant Japanese console franchise (FF, RE, MGS, DW, DMC, Tekken) announced before launch, almost none of them cross-gen. I don't dispute that FFXV and KHIII will sell well and move decent quantities of hardware in Japan whenever they finally see release, but most signs point to an even slower transition than PS2->PS3 was.

No theres a reason I said the year it launched in because those games were announced years before they were released.

I see the transition being faster since MGSV and FF15 will be out earlier in the PS4's cycle than the PS3's cycle.

Still do you have an answer for the question?

This nerd for one realizes that the console industry is declining in japan and I was saying that before the ps4 launched but some gaffers claimed ps4 would 'save' Japan and that it was the 2nd coming of Christ. Ps4 fans will
hopefully
soon join us in accepting the state of of the Japanese home console industry.

I didn't think the PS4 would light Japan on Fire but I did hope that it would, at least, be somewhat successful (do we know for certain whether or not there's supply?). It may still be too early but that's it, I'm giving up on Japan (console wise at least). If the PS4 can't turn things around, I don't see what would.

Wii U is heading for GC hw numbers. PS4 beating it isn't an achievement.

The only logical target I can see it matching is PS3. it won't be the second coming of Christ some were expecting.

Did people really expect it to be the second coming of Christ ?
I always said i expect PS4 to sell around PS3 numbers but it going to reach the numbers faster thanks to being easier to price cut .
Japan will make up 10% or maybe 15% if they lucky WW PS4 sales when all said and done .

Right now PS4 lacking games and i not talk about big ones like FF , MGS , RE etc etc
They just don't have any games at all you need small ones and big ones to help sell your system and i don't see that happening in Japan until 2015 earliest .

Faustek

Hey Nerds. Wii U is selling like shit. PS4 is looking to end up the same. Shut the hell up and accept that the console industry is in a massive decline in Japan with handhelds behind them. Got fanboys in here waving dicks in a micro-penis contest.

With that being said, Wii U has a chance to pull itself out of the at least for a little while with MK8 and Smash U while ony hasn't spoke much about Japanese games in development. This is concerning to me.

You and me should drink together and then never speak again.

B.O.O.M

No, but I think it's fair to say it when the second console stumbles out of the gates with even worse sales, and with not a single potential system seller in sight until 2015.

Second console has been in the market for three weeks without any major exclusives. We have gone over this already. If PS4 sells the same as wiiu after major releases, price cut etc etc in a year or so, then yeah, shut that coffin tight and put an extra nail in it

As someone earlier said it's a matter of time line..and also context. WiiU has failed despite the games, prcie cuts etc.

sörine;104127177 said:
Yes, over just 3 years. In it's first 3 years PS3 had a whole two 3rd party games over 500k.

PS3 (8 years)
  3. Musou (2 games)
  5. Tales (1)
  6. Yakuza (2)
  7. Gundam (1)

3DS (3 years)
  6. Yokai Watch (1 game)

I'm not seeing much of a difference except that PS3 is pretty much done while 3DS has a lot still ahead for it.

So its 3 franchises that have managed to do 500-600k (who are not called DQ and MH). Wow thats worse than I thought.

I think that cements the idea that Yakuza and Tales are pretty big franchises.

sörine;104127177 said:

PS3 (8 years)
  3. Musou (2 games)
  5. Tales (1)
  6. Yakuza (2)
  7. Gundam (1)

3DS (3 years)
  6. Yokai Watch (1 game)

general point taken, but shouldn't GTA V be on the PS3 list

Tripon

Second console has been in the market for three weeks without any major exclusives. We have gone over this already. If PS4 sells the same as wiiu after major releases, price cut etc etc in a year or so, then yeah, shut that coffin tight and put an extra nail in it

As someone earlier said it's a matter of time line..and also context. WiiU has failed despite the games, prcie cuts etc.

Here's the issue for the PS4. Their next big game is their first. And trust me, MGS Demo isn't the next big game. What game do you think is going to be that 'one game'?

sörine

Banned
So its 3 franchises that have managed to do 500-600k (who are not called DQ and MH). Wow thats worse than I thought.

I think that cements the idea that Yakuza and Tales are pretty big franchises.
Well, the last PS3 Tales did under 500k. I guess it's off your pretty big list now.

Disney Magic Castle should crawl past 500k pretty soon too. Then 3DS will have matched PS3 in half the time.

general point taken, but shouldn't GTA V be on the PS3 list
GTA isn't a Japanese franchise.

B.O.O.M

Here's the issue for the PS4. Their next big game is their first. And trust me, MGS Demo isn't the next big game. What game do you think is going to be that 'one game'?

Doesn't have to be a 'one' game. Playstation consoles have never been about a single franchise or game. I think MGS V is more important than the dem (duh I know). This is why I keep saying things won't change for the better until the publishers transition over , and I don't think we will see the result of that until mid-late 2015. As long as the system sells well in the west, sony won't mind that either.

sörine;104128137 said:
Well, the last PS3 Tales did under 500k. I guess it's off your pretty big list now.

Disney Magic Castle should crawl past 500k pretty soon too. Then 3DS will have matched PS3 in half the time.

GTA isn't a Japanese franchise.

The last PS3 Tales was a sequel lol ToX2.

DaBoss

Woah, some heated debates going on.

So I want to ask a question. With how well Puzzles and Dragons is doing on the 3DS, what other franchises should Nintendo go after?

And what about Sony with the Vita? They have the infrastructure in place to get mobile games to the Vita easily right? What games should they be going after?

Though I think the fact they had a unique game for the 3DS that was made from scratch really helped, so Sony may not want straight ports.

I have no clue about popular mobile games so I'm curious what other mobile games should get this treatment.

Tripon

Doesn't have to be a 'one' game. Playstation consoles have never been about a single franchise or game. I think MGS V is more important than the dem (duh I know). This is why I keep saying things won't change for the better until the publishers transition over , and I don't think we will see the result of that until mid-late 2015. As long as the system sells well in the west, sony won't mind that either.

They're not going to transition until sales improve. That's a big part of why Square-Enix is hemming and hawwing about FFXV and KH3 releases, its why Ishin was a cross port, and PS4 probably won't get a main number DQ game.

Its up to the platform holder to prove to 3rd party developers that its a good idea to switch. Sony hasn't done that yet. Nintendo hasn't done that yet. That means the market is stagnating around the PS3, 3DS, Vita and mobile.

So I want to ask a question. With how well Puzzles and Dragons is doing on the 3DS, what other franchises should Nintendo go after?

And what about Sony with the Vita? They have the infrastructure in place to get mobile games to the Vita easily right? What games should they be going after?

Though I think the fact they had a unique game for the 3DS that was made from scratch really helped, so Sony may not want straight ports.

Honestly, Clash of Clans if they're anyway interested in a 3DS port. (But they're likely not.) I'd like to see if they can convince Capcom, Square-Enix, and other Japanese companies that have main entry titles like Rise of Mana, and Breath of Fire 6 to bring it to 3DS and Vita, even if they have to stay free to play.

This thread is particularly snipey this week...

Global installed base is more relevant to Kingdom Hearts. Also I doubt Japanese sales reach 10% of PS4 ww lifetime sales.

TheChaos0

I have no clue about popular mobile games so I'm curious what other mobile games can get this treatment.

Vita is getting a KanColle (Kantai Collection) game, which a really popular web browser game. No details about if the game is like the browser game, would make sense. It should come out this year.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They're not going to transition until sales improve. That's a big part of why Square-Enix is hemming and hawwing about FFXV and KH3 releases, its why Ishin was a cross port, and PS4 probably won't get a main number DQ game.

Its up to the platform holder to prove to 3rd party developers that its a good idea to switch. Sony hasn't done that yet. Nintendo hasn't done that yet. That means the market is stagnating around the PS3, 3DS, Vita and mobile.

Honestly, Clash of Clans if they're anyway interested in a 3DS port. (But they're likely not.) I'd like to see if they can convince Capcom, Square-Enix, and other Japanese companies that have main entry titles like Rise of Mana, and Breath of Fire 6 to bring it to 3DS and Vita, even if they have to stay free to play.

I fear the main problem for 3DS is that it doesn't have the tools for most of the recent mobile output, graphically-wise. Vita is far more near the lowest limit, but it's far from being a mainstream device. This is another reason I said next Nintendo handheld should have good enough tech (Wii U, but portable, is what I'm saying since...forever?): in order to allow developers to port their mobile titles with the least effort possible. If they want, they can also release different retail games based on those franchises. Think about having both Puzzle&Dragons, the free to play title, AND the Z spin-off/different series, on the same platform.

TheChaos0

I fear the main problem for 3DS is that it doesn't have the tools for most of the recent mobile output, graphically-wise. Vita is far more near the lowest limit, but it's far from being a mainstream device. This is another reason I said next Nintendo handheld should have good enough tech (Wii U, but portable, is what I'm saying since...forever?): in order to allow developers to port their mobile titles with the least effort possible. If they want, they can also release different retail games based on those franchises. Think about having both Puzzle&Dragons, the free to play title, AND the Z spin-off/different series, on the same platform.

I almost fear, that the follow up to 3DS won't even match Vita. As incredibly stupid as that sounds, I can totally see it happening.

Busaiku

Is Clash of Clans big in Japan?
It's not in the top 10, but I don't know what's outside the top 10.

Honestly this is on all Japanese companies not just Sony as there is only so much they can do by there self .
This was something they need to do all together like the west , for eg most western games are cross gen .
In Japan they don't even have that and the games are not even that impressive gfx wise to make it them hard to port .

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I almost fear that the follow up to 3DS won't even match Vita. As incredibly stupid as that sounds, I can totally see it happening.

I fear that's impossible: 3DS itself is better than PSP spec-wise by a good margin, and mobile tech has advanced a lot, allowing to get better graphics for lower costs, why would Nintendo think to release something less powerful than Vita in 2015, if not 2016? Especially considering how they want to create an ecosystem where games, OS, functions and other things are shared between devices.

B.O.O.M

First off I think it's incompetence that FFXV and KH3 take so long to get released. Nothing else.

Ishin was a cross port because they would have been nuts to do otherwise unless sony paid them. The sales improve argument makes no sense since that was a launch game.

Sony has already provided third parties more than enough reason to release games on their system, at least to those who want to sell games in the west. Nintendo hasn't. Xbox has to a certain extent too. So unless you think all the major third parties will go all in for mobile/handheld games, then PS4 is the only obvious choice for them in the home console market going forward. It's a matter of when, not if. And PS3 isn't gonna sustain the home console software sales after the year 2015. maybe even before that

sörine

Banned
I was going by the other guy's list but thanks.
So was Chris. There were 4 franchises over 500k that weren't MH or DQ.

ToD2 was the first PS2 Tales game, thats why it got such a large boost.
ToX being the first PS3 exclusive Tales also received a boost evidently.
No, the real reason was the mixed fan response to TOX. That's also why FFXIII-2 dropped so much while FFX-2 didn't.

Will be interesting to see if Zestiria can pass 500k or not.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
sörine;104130903 said:
No, the real reason was the mixed fan response to TOX. That's also why FFXIII-2 dropped so much while FFX-2 didn't.

FFXIII -> FFXIII-2
Xillia -> Xillia 2
One Piece Musou -> One Piece Musou 2
Hokuto no Ken -> Hokuto no Ken 2

All because of bad word of mouth

SmokyDave

I fear that's impossible: 3DS itself is better than PSP spec-wise by a good margin, and mobile tech has advanced a lot, allowing to get better graphics for lower costs, why would Nintendo think to release something less powerful than Vita in 2015, if not 2016? Especially considering how they want to create an ecosystem where games, OS, functions and other things are shared between devices.
Because they're going to want to keep the cost of entry as low as possible. Nintendo have always made weak handhelds, and now more than ever they need to pinch every penny they can.

At or around Vita specs is what I expect. With the cheapest, nastiest screen they can find.

TheChaos0

Like I said, it's a stupid thought. By virture of technological advances and falling prices, they should be able to build a fairly powerful system. However, if they want to launch it at a much lower price than 3DS then they might go for a pretty cheap solution.

Realistically speaking I doubt very much that the successor to 3DS will be near Wii U, powerwise. If it will, it'll be great. Otherwise Nintendo is going to Nintend.

At or around Vita specs is what I expect. With the cheapest, nastiest screen they can find.

Anything will be a massive improvement over the current screen. Anything. Surely they can't do any worse?

Puzzle & Dragon (1 game)
Run for Money (1 game)
Taiko no Tatsujin (1 game)
Yokai Watch (1 game)

I said 500-600k. P&D is way bigger lol. I wouldn't call P&D pretty big like I did for Yakuza and Tales. I would call it a big franchise.

sörine;104130903 said:
So was Chris. There were 4 franchises over 500k that weren't MH or DQ.

Will be interesting to see if Zestiria can pass 500k or not.

I gave the reason why ToD 2 did so well. I don't see what your asking. Its normal for a series that differentiates between mainline titles and sequels for those titles where the sequel sells less than the mainline. The drop may differ of course but speaking generally.

Metallix87

Because they're going to want to keep the cost of entry as low as possible. Nintendo have always made weak handhelds, and now more than ever they need to pinch every penny they can.

I think the 3DS's successor will be a good bit better than the Vita, and likely aim to launch at a $199 price point. The screen is the one thing that worries me. Hopefully Nintendo finally goes with a good quality screen at a proper resolution.

The Hermit

I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow tried an even worse screen than the 3DS/WiiU.

But honestly, I have no idea what to expect from them this time, with the consoles and portable sales dying all over the world and especially on Japan.

sörine

Banned
I said 500-600k. P&D is way bigger lol. I wouldn't call P&D pretty big like I did for Yakuza and Tales. I would call it a big franchise.
Which do you think will sell better ltd, PDZ or FFXV?

I gave the reason why ToD 2 did so well. I don't see what your asking. Its normal for a series that differentiates between mainline titles and sequels for those titles where the sequel sells less than the mainline. The drop may differ of course but speaking generally.
Tales doesn't differentiate in that way. TOX, TOX2, TOD and TOD2 are all "mothership" entries in the series and given equal treatment. Being a sequel isn't why TOX2 sold worse, it was word of mouth.

Top Bottom