• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2015 (Mar 02 - Mar 08)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Games Ma-ya also mentioned that their One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 demo event was a failure as customers quickly went home after buying games and didn't bother to play the demo. I know this is just one tiny shop, but it could be a sign that interest in Pirate Warriors series have dropped significantly.

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing I have to agree that the sales for One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 are going to be much lower than expected.

I think they should have given the series is a bit of a break before starting work on 3.

Code:
[PS3] One Piece Pirate Warriors - 860,000
TOTAL: 860,000

[PS3] One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 - 445,000	
[PSV] One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 - 120,000	
TOTAL: 565,000

I doubt OPPW3 across PS3/PS4/PSV will even reach OPPW2 PS3 sales.

Musou will be the next FPS. Cosmic balance.

Musou Warfare 2
Musou Ops
Advanced Musou
Musou at War
Road to Musou
United Musou
Musou 2: Big Renbu One

ZhugeEX

Banned
It was during the PS2 days.
These games were selling so well, but dropped off as consoles fell.
I expect this trend to continue on PS4.

Dynasty Warriors 4 sold in 1 million units in 9 days in Japan making it the fastest selling musou game of all time, it's also the best selling musou game of all time with more than 2.1 million units sold in worldwide. Also the Strategy Guide (remember those!) for DW3 sold more than 400,000 worldwide with cumulative sales of DW3+DW4 strategy book exceeding 1 million units worldwide.

Actually, I may as well post this here.

Sales data is provided by Koei, Media Create, Dengeki & NPD Group. NPD sales numbers are not exact, I used the "More Than" phrase to show that sales can be higher than what is written below.

Dynasty Warriors 2 (PS2)- Over 800,000 units worldwide
350,000 units in Japan
More than 200,000 units in USA

Dynasty Warriors 3 (PS2/XBX)- Over 2,000,000 units worldwide
1,100,000 units in Japan
More than 450,000 units in USA (PS2 Only)

Dynasty Warriors 4 (PS2/XBX)- Over 2,100,000 units worldwide
1,210,000 units in Japan
More than 550,000 units in USA (PS2 Only)

Dynasty Warriors 5 (PS2/XBX)- Over 1,500,000 units worldwide
950,000 units in Japan
More than 250,000 units in USA (PS2 Only)

Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3/360)- Over 1,000,000 units worldwide
490,000 units in Japan
More than 275,000 units in USA (PS3/360)

Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3/360)- Over 1,000,000 units worldwide
495,000 units in Japan
More than Dynasty Warriors 6 sales in USA (PS3/360)

Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3/360)- Worldwide sales unknown
400,000 units in Japan

Bonus:

Hyrule Warriors - More than 1,000,000 units worldwide
130,000 units in Japan
More than 400,000 in USA
More than 60,000 in France

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Koei have been very big on collaborations recently.

One thing that a lot of people don't know is that Koei are planning to release another collaboration title in the next 2 years with a big focus on a Western IP. Koei are yet to confirm if this is a game IP crossover, TV show crossover or movie crossover but they will be releasing a game with that western property x Musou style gameplay.

We should start to hear about it in 2016/2017.

Star Wars would be my guess.

Bonus:

Hyrule Warriors - More than 1,000,000 units worldwide
130,000 units in Japan
More than 400,000 in USA
More than 60,000 in France

Would you a source for the France #?

Oregano

It's just that Hasbro has such dominance in this comparison for the West that it's a slam dunk choice if Hasbro is interested.

Like if we view Mattel and Hasbro as Coke and Pepsi, Namco would be the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

Now, Dr. Pepper and Snapple are good selling products, but it's just not a real comparison to the juggernauts in the room.

Yeah that's definitely true. Hasbro seems very invested going by job postings and stuff too.

Also to chime in on the Musou conversation: Mystic Heroes is the secret best Musou.

mao2

Koei have been very big on collaborations recently.

One thing that a lot of people don't know is that Koei are planning to release another collaboration title in the next 2 years with a big focus on a Western IP. Koei are yet to confirm if this is a game IP crossover, TV show crossover or movie crossover but they will be releasing a game with that western property x Musou style gameplay.

We should start to hear about it in 2016/2017.
Hyrule Warriors have shown that this series can sell in the West with the right collaboration. Hopefully they can find success in their next project too.

Wondering if this opens the doors for a FF Musou. Now that will no doubt sell gangbusters. If handled correctly it could become the best selling Musou game ever and it totally fits the IP as well.
Yeah, unlike Dragon Quest Heroes, chances that it'll do well outside of Japan are much higher. Perhaps we'll see it one day.

Takao

Banned
Surprised to see that they were impressed by Toukiden yet skipped out on Vita for DQH. Oh well.......

¯\_( ツ )_/¯

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Are any of the Uta Pri games on PSN?

Maybe they just want everyone to buy the Vita version when it finally comes out.

Three of them are.

I can see them porting the last PSP game to Vita, but they could've gone for double dippers.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
EA has a 10 year exclusive license for core oriented Star Wars games.

Marvel would be a lot more likely if it's Disney as they are handing to license to anyone who will take it.

Oh, I thought EA had only bought the license for the MMO franchise and console shooter, my bad, seems I was mistaken, sorry.

I mean, except Harry Potter & Star Wars, there aren't many successful Western IP's that have a foothold in Japan.

Marvel (except Spiderman) hardly makes a dent in Japan, but if Koei was seeking global appeal, yes I could see that.

Won't be Star Wars. I don't think they'd be able to make the game because the license can only be used by EA I think.

Source for France is Gfk.

Got a link? I know expectations were 60k but I never found the report from Philippe Lavoue. Just curious.

antibolo

Banned
Surprised to see that they were impressed by Toukiden yet skipped out on Vita for DQH. Oh well.......

Skipping out on the Vita was most likely Square Enix's call. We already know SE doesn't really care about the Vita to begin with. Omega Force usually does Vita ports every chance they get.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, I thought EA had only bought the license for the MMO franchise and console shooter, my bad, seems I was mistaken, sorry.

I mean, except Harry Potter & Star Wars, there aren't many successful Western IP's that have a foothold in Japan.

Marvel (except Spiderman) hardly makes a dent in Japan, but if Koei was seeking global appeal, yes I could see that.

Got a link? I know expectations were 60k but I never found the report from Philippe Lavoue. Just curious.

I think they might just be targeting the West.

Looking at Hyrule Warriors' sales numbers, we see a game that made ~90% of its sales abroad.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Looking at Hyrule Warriors' sales numbers, we see a game that made ~90% of its sales abroad.

They actually announced this other western project before Hyrule Warriors even came out.

Here is the interview.

http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/special/20140514/1057509/

Here is a rough translation-

Q: What is the plan for overseas collaboration?
A: We still can't announce it yet, but by following the patterns of domestic successes, we'd like to try proceeding collaborations with an overseas major game maker, or it could be a movie company, TV show, anything else. It doesn't mean it can be announced within this year, but you can please look forward in 2~3 years.

This interview was also when Koei CEO reinforced idea of 1 million units of Hyrule Warriors worldwide. Seems his expectation was actually realistic.

Vena

I feel like HyWa/Zelda would run as the exception than the rule in terms of western attachment expectations for a Musou (or any game for that matter).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel like HyWa/Zelda would run as the exception than the rule in terms of western attachment expectations for a Musou (or any game for that matter).

Yes, but I think it shows you could in theory make a game that sold enough in the West to be worthwhile choosing an IP that works overseas and doesn't work domestically.

They actually announced this other western project before Hyrule Warriors even came out.

Here is the interview.

http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/special/20140514/1057509/

Here is a rough translation-

Q: What is the plan for overseas collaboration?
A: We still can't announce it yet, but by following the patterns of domestic successes, we'd like to try proceeding collaborations with an overseas major game maker, or it could be a movie company, TV show, anything else. It doesn't mean it can be announced within this year, but you can please look forward in 2~3 years.

This interview was also when Koei CEO reinforced idea of 1 million units of Hyrule Warriors worldwide. Seems his expectation was actually realistic.

I'm kind of surprised how long of a lead time it's getting, though that might be due to them having so many projects already.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm kind of surprised how long of a lead time it's getting, though that might be due to them having so many projects already.

Well they only have 1,500 employees haha. They can't do everything!

Yes, but I think it shows you could in theory make a game that sold enough in the West to be worthwhile choosing an IP that works overseas and doesn't work domestically.

Also the positive feedback that games like Hyrule Warriors and others got in the west means it's more likely consumers will buy a musou game with a big western IP behind it.

Busaiku

Most of us felt that 1 million for Hyrule Warriors was a very realistic goal.
Though I think a lot of us were expecting it to be bigger in Japan than it was.

Shizuka

I know this isn't the right place, but since you're all talking about the genre, what other companies can develop games from the musou genre that are acceptable? I've seen Capcom and Tamsoft develop their take on the genre, but I'm surprised not a lot of developers are trying it themselves.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I know this isn't the right place, but since you're all talking about the genre, what other companies can develop games from the musou genre that are acceptable? I've seen Capcom and Tamsoft develop their take on the genre, but I'm surprised not a lot of developers are trying it themselves.

I feel aren't a lot of modern attempts for a few reasons.

1.) There was a lot of sales decline among Musou so in recent years it hasn't been as attractive to directly compete.
2.) The recent resurgence is often heavily tied to big IPs that take up a fair amount of the profit.
3.) You can actually just hire Koei Tecmo to make the game for you.
4.) There aren't a ton of developers with the skillset to make what the audience wants while also not having something else they'd rather do that don't already work at Koei Tecmo.

Busaiku

It's kind of hard for other developers to step in, when Koei and Omega Force pretty much oversaturate it themselves.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Most of us felt that 1 million for Hyrule Warriors was a very realistic goal.
Though I think a lot of us were expecting it to be bigger in Japan than it was.

Agreed. When Japan sales came out (70k first week) I went from being optimistic about 1 million units to thinking it would now be unachievable.

Really shocked just how well it did in the west and how fast the game is selling.

In fact lets compare the best selling musou game of all time with Hyrule Warriors using USA sales with data provided by NPD.

Dynasty Warriors 4

Month 1- 86k
Month 2- 187k
Month 3- 234k
Month 4- 275k

Hyrule Warriors

Month 1- 190k (Inc DD)
Month 2- ????
Month 3- ????
Month 4- 370k (exc DD)

Other companies have tried outside of Capcom (who I am still surprise even supports Basara considering of how it never leaves Japan) and Tamsoft.

Bamco tried by having Alfa Systems make Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave. They also been making the Kamen Rider ones too.

SCEJ did Bleach: Soul Resurrección.

I imagine only really Koei Tecmo and to a lessen extent Capcom and Tamsoft have found success with Musou games and that's why they are the only ones now making it.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Off the top of my head-

Capcom - Sengoku Basara
Tamsoft- Senran Kagura
Konami- Ninety Nine Nights 2
Vigil games- Darksiders 2
Namco- Kamen Rider Batride War
Sony - Bleach

Agreed. When Japan sales came out (70k first week) I went from being optimistic about 1 million units to thinking it would now be unachievable.

Really shocked just how well it did in the west and how fast the game is selling.

In fact lets compare the best selling musou game of all time with Hyrule Warriors using USA sales with data provided by NPD.

Dynasty Warriors 4

Month 1- 86k
Month 2- 187k
Month 3- 234k
Month 4- 275k

Hyrule Warriors

Month 1- 190k (Inc DD)
Month 2- ????
Month 3- ????
Month 4- 370k (exc DD)

Source for the 4th month for HW?

Vena

I think HyWa had a good bit of WoM strength to its sales after the initial push (particularly from its excellent application of DLC under NoA) as well as the strength/favor of having a holiday season not far from its release. It doesn't hurt that the game is a very polished/good Musou over which I'd only put SW4 (in terms of recent titles).

Busaiku

Hyperdimension Neptunia's a warriors game?
I thought it was an RPG.

Didn't know about Oneechanbara either, so I guess it was just ignorance.
Though really, these games are like sub-30k, but also low budget I guess.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
CyGames seems to be taking a good upturn lately. Granblue Fantasy has surged all the way up to rank 4 (that's about the million a day point) and Little Noah is off to a good start.

I figured I'd call them out in specific since they're both a notable mobile company, and you all know the art directors for the two games (Minaba and Yoshida) quite well.

little noah is japans clash of clans basically. same with the bandai gundam one dear god...

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think HyWa had a good bit of WoM strength to its sales after the initial push (particularly from its excellent application of DLC under NoA) as well as the strength/favor of having a holiday season not far from its release. It doesn't hurt that the game is a very polished/good Musou over which I'd only put SW4 (in terms of recent titles).

100% agree

It was also the Zelda brand that was at play here which made the game more open and accessible to non musou fans.

Takao

Banned
Off the top of my head-

Capcom - Sengoku Basara
Tamsoft- Senran Kagura
Konami- Ninety Nine Nights 2
Vigil games- Darksiders 2
Namco- Kamen Rider Batride War
Sony - Bleach

Feelplus and Q Entertainment did NNN2.
Kamen Rider was developed by 8ing.
Racjin handled Bleach.

CyberConnect2 developed a PSP Naruto Musou clone.
I want to say there was a nice looking PSP manga/anime tie-in game from Konami, but I can't remember what it was called.

OuterLimits

So Disgaea 5 releases in two weeks. I assume the game probably won't sell that well unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong but it seems the franchise may be going a bit stale. Would it have been better to put the game on the Vita? What would be decent opening sales numbers?

duckroll

CyGames seems to be taking a good upturn lately. Granblue Fantasy has surged all the way up to rank 4 (that's about the million a day point) and Little Noah is off to a good start.

I figured I'd call them out in specific since they're both a notable mobile company, and you all know the art directors for the two games (Minaba and Yoshida) quite well.

Speaking of Cygames, they recently announced the creation of an anime business division in the company and they're looking to hire producers and assistant producers for the division. The Rage of Bahamut anime doesn't seem to be selling particularly well on DVD/BD, but it sounds like they're not giving up and they're going to go in deeper. It should be interesting to see what else they do with their mobile properties.

Racjin handled Bleach.

I want to say there was a nice looking PSP manga/anime tie-in game from Konami, but I can't remember what it was called.

Probably Kingdom: http://www.konami.jp/products/kingdom/game.html

I wouldn't say it's "nice looking" though... lol.

Vena

100% agree

It was also the Zelda brand that was at play here which made the game more open and accessible to non musou fans.

Of course. I think HyWa was something of a perfect storm in that its not only very polished Musou (though the graphics are really not optimized, which isn't too surprising. I bet they could make a WiiU HyWa2 look considerably better with more time on the hardware with their engine) but it also had Zelda slapped on it, strong WoM, and good press.

I'm kind of bummed that I haven't really been digging DQH. It looks great, though, even on my PS3.

Speaking of Cygames, they recently announced the creation of an anime business division in the company and they're looking to hire producers and assistant producers for the division. The Rage of Bahamut anime doesn't seem to be selling particularly well on DVD/BD, but it sounds like they're not giving up and they're going to go in deeper. It should be interesting to see what else they do with their mobile properties.

Interesting but wonder what can they do with their games. They already tried Rage of Bahamut and Cinderella Girls already has an anime. Doubt they'll make something based off Sangokushi Puzzle or Dragon Quest Monster, so I guess it'll be either Knights of Glory or Granblue Fantasy, which I wouldn't mind if they keep that artstyle for either of these two games.

But it would be cool to see some more mobile games anime adaptations.

duckroll

Interesting but wonder what can they do with their games. They already tried Rage of Bahamut and Cinderella Girls already has an anime. Doubt they'll make something based off Sangokushi Puzzle or Dragon Quest Monster, so I guess it'll be either Knights of Glory or Granblue Fantasy, which I wouldn't mind if they keep that artstyle for either of these two games.

But it would be cool to see some more mobile games anime adaptations.

Cinderella Girls is not a Cygames IP. It would have nothing to do with this business. They just coded the game for Bandai Namco, who owns the Idolmaster franchise.

Cygames IPs would be stuff like Rage of Bahamut, Granblue Fantasy, and Knight of Glory. It remains to be seen if they would be also interested in making stuff owned by their subsidiaries - like Little Noah by BlazeGames.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Cinderella Girls is not a Cygames IP. It would have nothing to do with this business. They just coded the game for Bandai Namco, who owns the Idolmaster franchise.

Cygames IPs would be stuff like Rage of Bahamut, Granblue Fantasy, and Knight of Glory. It remains to be seen if they would be also interested in making stuff owned by their subsidiaries - like Little Noah by BlazeGames.

I would KILL for an actual console Little Noah game as the artwork / character design is fantastic. The mobile game not so much considering its just clash of clans reskinned for the most part. D:

It took at least 60$ from me so it served its purpose lol

Ah, just going off whatever they had on their website. ~_~

Racjin handled Bleach.

Really? Whats the name?

Top Bottom