• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

Galang

Banned
I'm curious to know how fast the bug was found. There would have been 2channers playing copies before the release date. If the news was spread early enough, KHDDD's sales could have been killed hours after it launched.

Even if that were the case, I doubt that made significant impact on the launch week overall. :/

Oxx

Seems like SE have done an effective job of dragging the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts brands through the mud.

Can't wait to see where Dragon Quest goes from here!

BurntPork

Banned
There have been better week 14 these last years. Best was in 2006: DS family sold over 200K.

That's like saying that Vita isn't doing that bad compared to XBox. DS was such a monster that replicating it is no simple task. In general terms, it's very good. What's the second best, by the way? Also, did anything release that week for DS?

3DS is doing quite well except when compared to DS's crazy records.

Reminds me to expect poor Wii U NPD expectations (even if it's doing "well"), since they'll probably be comparing to Wii's months from launch. :lol

I blame capitalism.

SykoTech

Been trying to avoid all KH3D stuff, but.....game-breaking bug?

Good grief, SE. Unless KHIII gets announced quick, Kingdom's Hearts rep will be no better than FF's. I miss them glory days.

Would it be so trivial though? Are you a programmer with knowledge of how the 3ds works?
That seems a pretty high standard of qualification for what's a pretty common sense statement. Button reassignment isn't rocket science, and Nintendo even already does it with backwards compatibility and the Virtual Console.

PSP Super robot something outselling Kingdom Hearts and Kid Icarus...

What an odd situation.
KH yes, KI no.

And those sales are even pretty shitty by SRT standards. Wasn't Z like huge back in the day?

Please don't start trying to use this as a significant reason for KH3D's poor sales. (That we have to wonder whether it'll finish off its launch shipment through bargain bin sales and that no one seems to think it was an inflated launch shipment means that it's poor sales.)
I'm not going to assume it is. KH would have exhibited some franchise fatigue from all those spinoffs, especially on the Nintendo consoles. And, there is possibly a userbase size issue with the 3DS.

I'm just saying that the early-adopting KH fans in Japan are generally internet savvy and have probably spread news of the bug to other potential early purchasers. And MAYBE if there weren't a bug, SE could have sold through the first shipment (340k?) without a massive price cut.

Jaruru

that's a huge drop for KH. MH is doing very well though :p
Kid Icarus deserves more, what can I say

vita... is catching up the Wii

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I had a suspicion this would happen with Media Create, like PS3. 12k+ one week and next 9k-.

Once again history repeats.

Any bets that Kid Icarus Uprising will eventually pass Kingdom Hearts 3D?

I wouldn't bet on it. But only cause the odds make it worthless ;)
Should manage it quite well.

that's a huge drop for KH. MH is doing very well though :p
Kid Icarus deserves more, what can I say

vita... is catching up the Wii

Am still hoping KI holds on for longer. Deserves to do well imo.
Signs that the 3 headed beast is slowly dying - surely other games will begin to benefit?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a wee bit of additional RE:R advertising. Just to entice!
In fact is it a bundle? Wouldn't be daft to make it one.

And yes I know I know. Cloud silly - but if the 3DS wants to be a long term success it needs to start breeding variety/success here and now.

Anth0ny

Vita sub 10k. VITA DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD

How shit at the 360 spike thanks to Star Wars Kinect. Is this the first week it's outsold the DS?

Too bad about KI. Deserves more. Can't believe the KH bomba.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
That 360 bump must be really unbelievable.

Is there a single time in history a game+system bundle didn't manage to move at least a few hundred units?

You're assuming it ever fades. I don't see why it has to fade until/unless the Vita starts gaining some traction.

Sometime the road to fantasy ends and you have to take the path of reality.

For those calling doom and gloom on the PSVita, Let's put this in perspective guys. 3DS also had a week where it dipped below 10,000 and look how it's doing now

That seems a pretty high standard of qualification for what's a pretty common sense statement. Button reassignment isn't rocket science, and Nintendo even already does it with backwards compatibility and the Virtual Console.

KH yes, KI no.

And those sales are even pretty shitty by SRT standards. Wasn't Z like huge back in the day?

The fact it would need to be done on a game by game basis could easily become a compatability and testing mess and in no way is it comparable to the virtual console where games are run under emulation

Kazerei

Banned
It seems we've already talked so much in previous weeks about Vita going sub-10k, that there isn't anything more to say now that it's actually happened.

giggas

Is there any idea as to how and why the KH3D numbers are so low? You'd think 3DS would be the perfect place for KH, no?

I really hope KI hangs in there, but I'll be honest, I didn't even expect it to do what it's doing now.

Fabrik

Banned
I want to have choice. And I want others to play consoles I might not like, just because I see that there is definitely something positive in different flavours of the same thing, even if it just serves the diversity of discussions on GAF. Plus the fact that competition can be something good.

For me, the choice comes from third parties. I want all third party games on a single platform. More games to choose from. Sony first party games are negligible (Other than Gravity Rush and Gran Turismo when it lands in 2015).

Anth0ny

For those calling doom and gloom on the PSVita, Let's put this in perspective guys. 3DS also had a week where it dipped below 10,000 and look how it's doing now

Yup, Vita will drop it's price and release 3, million+ sellers during the holiday season this year. It's all good.

Exactly. These numbers are extremely baffling to me. I just don't get it.
Reminds me of Itadaki Street Wii. I figured that game was good for an easy 300k, but it struggled to even reach half that.

Actually, after Slime Morimiri 3 and now KH3D, I sort of wonder if DQM will do bit less than we're expecting? I was thinking around 1m, but now I'm sort of reconsidering...

I hesitate to say that Japan as a market is just going downhill. The 3DS is unlikely to sell as much as the DS and the Vita definitely isn't going to touch the PSP. The country's demographics are really working against any kind of growth in the industry, and the sluggish economy isn't helping either.

Spiegel

Is the KH3D dropoff because of news of the glitch? I mean...an 80% dropoff is pretty significant for a major title like that

New IP
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts (Square) - 103,300 / 514,792 (-75%)*

Released on thursday
[GBA] Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - 35,768 / 239,039 (-82%)
[PS2] Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix) - 156,837 / 884,428 (-78%)
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Square Enix) - 31,247 / 126,753 (-67%)

Released on saturday
[NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 106,104 / 401,000 (-64%)
[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 177,405 / 623,367 (-60%)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Let's put this in perspective. 3DS also had huge million selling franchises coming to the rescue. Vita doesn't.

At this point I don't even think a price cut would have a lasting impact. Vita needs some big announcements coupled with a price cut and some free games. This thing has been in the sales gutter for far too long.

Alebrije

Vita needs a price drop ala 3DS , and change the proprietary memory issue.

It seems there are a lot of people waiting for a price drop with a bundle...

Damn, was in a Minecraft game when the sub 10,000 news came down. Come on Sony, don't like seeing such a handheld monopoly.

KH, you were supposed to have better legs than this. :(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It seems there are a lot of people waiting for a price drop with a bundle...

I was one of those people, but at this point Sony can keep it. A price drop and bundle aren't going to do anything for me when the rest of the world doesn't give two shits about the system. Couple that with crickets chirping on any kind of new game announcements and I think I'll just stick with my 3DS.

I hesitate to say that Japan as a market is just going downhill. The 3DS is unlikely to sell as much as the DS and the Vita definitely isn't going to touch the PSP. The country's demographics are really working against any kind of growth in the industry, and the sluggish economy isn't helping either.

Yeah! The European/US market is far healthier!
...oh...

Fact is all markets are shaky atm. Gaming is disposable and with multiplayer, your favourite game reamins your favourite game for a long time - so people ain't spending.

Japan? Is in far far better shape!
Also nothing is going to do as well as DS, it was bonkers and was an early sign of people wanting 'apps'. Only phones do that now, so Nintendo have rightly gone back to focus on games.

Really the demographic arguement is daft. As is the economic one.
The world market is a bit shit atm.

Reminds me of Itadaki Street Wii. I figured that game was good for an easy 300k, but it struggled to even reach half that.

Actually, after Slime Morimiri 3 and now KH3D, I sort of wonder if DQM will do bit less than we're expecting? I was thinking around 1m, but now I'm sort of reconsidering...

Hmm I don't think expecting a million for DQM remake was reasonable in the first place. I mean, the DQ remakes are in the 1m range along with new brand new DQM games.

saichi

And the week after 3DS dipped below 10K, it sold almost 200K. I'm looking forward to see VITA's number next week!

Is the KH3D dropoff because of news of the glitch? I mean...an 80% dropoff is pretty significant for a major title like that

actually it's not uncommon for a title to drop 80% in its 2nd week in Japan.

Top Bottom