• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2013 (May 13 - May 19)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It does happen and with sales already low it makes it alot more noticeable than when the 3DS was selling more. Anyway it doesn't matter much, with MH4 coming out, 3DS sales will easily surpass last year's.

Its post GW..3DS numbers are keeping up with last year's, one or two slow week doesn't matter much.
Not saying that there aren't reasons for this sales, but those are bad sales for the 3DS. Don't see why we can't just tell like it is. Vita sales are also bad, because there are no games and 3rd party games are nowhere to be seen - doesn't change the fact that they are bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh, does Vita have a game out in this tracking period?

Well, here's its upcoming schedule for the next three weeks in which it is actually getting games.

Code:
05/23 	Japan 	BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works Best Selection)
		Valhalla Knights 3
05/30 	Japan 	Haiyore! Nyaruko-San: Nafushigatai Game no You na Mono
		NextRev: Hisho Kentei Shiken
		Suugaku Rikiou: Chuukyuu Naka-2-Level
		Suugaku Rikiou: Joukyuu Naka-3-Level
		Suugaku Rikiou: Shokyuu Naka-1-Level
06/20 	Japan 	FIFA 13: World Class Soccer (EA Best Hits)
		Kami Jigen Idol Neptune PP
		Winning Post 7 2013

Not saying that there aren't reasons for this sales, but those are bad sales for the 3DS. Don't see why we can't just tell like it is. Vita sales are also bad, because there are no games and 3rd party games are nowhere to be seen - doesn't change the fact that they are bad.

Exactly, we all know 3DS isn't doomed or anything, but making excuses for why something hit its lowest point in over a year and a half just still makes it seem bad. We could also look at the 360 in America and blame the sales on being out for 7 years and still 200 dollars, but its still bad.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe Nintendo will have an actual new Lite model for the 3DS to replace the OG model that's still doing well.

I think a Lite /3DSi will be much more useful next year, especially considering they released 3DS XL last year. It'd be three hardwares in three years, I don't think it's what Nintendo should do this year, considering the MH4-Pokémon combo. Next year, when there won't be that combo and entering the fourth year after the launch on the market, is a much better release period.

matmanx1

Sony really didn't do the Vita any favors with their schedule. Same with Nintendo and the WiiU. I think everyone saw this coming, and it's sad for the Vita because the price drop actually seemed to help momentum more than the general expectation. Where... are... the... games?!

Agreed. If there's one thing that's been consistent with the Vita it's that when the platform gets decent game releases hardware sales are positively impacted. More consistent releases at the current price point would raise the baseline for weekly hardware sales, no question.

vareon

Well, here's its upcoming schedule for the next three weeks in which it is actually getting games.

Code:
05/23 	Japan 	BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works Best Selection)
		Valhalla Knights 3
		Winning Post 7 2013

Nyaruko will save the Vita!

I think a Lite /3DSi will be much more useful next year, especially considering they released 3DS XL last year. It'd be three hardwares in three years, I don't think it's what Nintendo should do this year, considering the MH4-Pokémon combo. Next year, when there won't be that combo and entering the fourth year after the launch on the market, is a much better release period.

Well Nintendo better have something to get shipments up because outside of some miracle they aren't hitting 18 million shipped unless they have a mega holiday in the west.

Has the Vita ever gone below 6k? Wii U seems so fucked.

Yes multiple times.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well Nintendo better have something to get shipments up because outside of some miracle they aren't hitting 18 million shipped unless they have a mega holiday in the west.

Well, with Pokémon and that Zelda (not the classic main Zelda, but New Legend of Zelda, AND the sequel to ALTTP, so a much bigger drain for mass audience), and also Mario Party, sales this Holiday can't not be very big in the West. Right now we're seeing 3DS games costantly high in all European charts (yes, UK too!), and since last Summer this meant very good hardware sales (above everyone else), I think the situation in Europe is seriously improving. And that's before Animal Crossing, the sales influence of which is going to be very interesting to judge. Given also the MH4+Pokémon combo in Japan, they have a good chance hitting the 18 millions target. Still, a price cut in the West would confirm they'd hit that target with no doubt.

Code:
		Valhalla Knights 3
		Winning Post 7 2013
Oh, seems like it will be "ok" for a couple of weeks then.

---
Also, re: Resident Evil, how have attach rates been on Nintendo consoles in the past for the series. 1/10th PS3 would imply the same attach rate, given relative hardware bases, is that likely?

DarkMehm

Uh what? It still has a chance? It definitely will more like it.

3DS XL increased total 3DS sales by more than 750k last year. You think 2 software titles will sell that much additional hardware? And it's not like last year didn't have big guns like NSMB2 and Animal Crossing. It will be really difficult to top last years 5.5 million, but I won't lean on either way just yet.

Its kinda pointless to say the sales are bad and thats it, why wouldn't you wanna discuss the reasons? I didn't say they weren't bad, but the the whole market is posting bad numbers, you shouldn't just single out the 3DS.

3DS XL increased total 3DS sales by more than 750k last year. You think 2 software titles will sell that much additional hardware? And it's not like last year didn't have big guns like NSMB2 and Animal Crossing. It will be really difficult to top last years 5.5 million, but I won't lean on either way just yet.
Pokemon + MH easily > NSMB2 and AC. Besides the second half of this year is totally stacked with games, way more so than last year.

SmokyDave

Uh..no it suggests it happened more than once which is what multiple means. If it had happened 5 times would multiple still not be an acceptable word?

"Console X has a few games in development".

"Console X has multiple games in development".

Which one sounds better?

6/27 is also Toukiden with limited edition Vita bundle

And at the rate Namco and SE are going GE2 and FFX will be Vita titles for Christmas....

Agreed. If there's one thing that's been consistent with the Vita it's that when the platform gets decent game releases hardware sales are positively impacted. More consistent releases at the current price point would raise the baseline for weekly hardware sales, no question.

This is true for basically every platform ever, though, not some unique property of the Vita. It's not as though anyone (well, most people) think Vita is selling badly in Japan because there's something about the hardware that's intrinsically unappealing to the market.

wow, painful week. Vita is still up a bit compared to last year, but everything is down overall this month.

Terrible Wii U numbers, really quite surprising. Nintendo better pull out something amazing at E3 this year.

DaBoss

I'm sure metalslimer used multiple because he didn't exactly what the number was. Multiple means more than one.

"Console X has a few games in development".

"Console X has multiple games in development".

Which one sounds better?

Actually the bottom sounds worse because if your number is so low to use the word multiple instead of the usual "There are over a hundred games in development" it just sounds bad.

I'm sure metalslimer used multiple because he didn't exactly what the number was. Multiple means more than one.

Yeah, but this is getting off topic, so I guess I'll use nicer words if it makes people "feel better" =p

What did the XBox and the 360 sell 1st week in Japan. I think the PS4 is a wildcard and can't make a prediction yet, but I'm feeling kind of confident with starting predicting XBO's 1st week's numbers.

3DS or bust. the big storyline next year will be whether consoles still sell in Japan. I wish Sony the best.

Fixed. If it was "handheld" or bust, the Vita would be selling well.

The market in Japan is worrisome, outside of the 3DS everything is selling horrible numbers. There are some explanations to some of them though:

- PS3 is 7 years old and is still overpriced
- PSP is on its last legs
- Wii has run its course
- DS has run its course

The WiiU and Vita have lots of problems. Vita lost its major exclusive franchise to the competition and is not even getting an iteration of it. The major problem for Vita is lack of system selling exclusives. It does not have one (1) exclusive 500K+ selling franchise game on it or even upcoming. The other problem vita has is that it tries to do what tablets and smartphones do but the OS is not robust enough to compete in that area with google and android. The WiiU has the problem of being underpowered, expensive, and games have mainly been rehashes so far. It does have exclusive system selling games, but they have either been milked like NSMBU or are ports like MH3U and DQX. WiiU does have games that fit that coming in the future (MK, SSB, 3D Mario, Zelda). We'll see how those pan out, but it's safe to say it won't suddenly make the machine go from selling 6K/week to selling 45k/week.

I think Vita and WiiU are undesirable products that Sony and Nintendo have done very little to rectify their problems to make them successful (Sony more so than Nintendo IMO).

I think people are confused when they say "Home console" market is dead and handheld market is thriving. I posted this sometime ago. The home console generation is lower than last, but it's not as doomed as people make it seem. The handheld market had a huge drop (Vita numbers are mainly to blame, but 3DS will probably not reach DS' numbers either). I believe the right term would be the market is changing. IMHO there's still a market there for dedicated handheldS and dedicated home consoles.

If the rumor is true and Sony has deals with SE for FFXV and KH3, as well as a MGS (I believe this was rumored as well), then the PS4 can get some decent numbers there. They still could release a GT6Epilogue next year exclusive on it as well while waiting for the proper GT7 a couple of years down the line.

SmokyDave

Actually the bottom sounds worse because if your number is so low to use the word multiple instead of the usual "There are over a hundred games in development" it just sounds bad.
Eh, fair enough. I'd say 'a few' sounded like a bad omen, whereas 'multiple' suggests many. Language is fun!

Yeah, but this is getting off topic, so I guess I'll use nicer words if it makes people "feel better" =p
It ain't so much about feelings as it is about painting an accurate picture.

Why the hell are we discussing the definition of multiple in the Media Create thread

Multiple literally means more than one

Metalslimer is not being a super duper wordsmith car salesman snake, it means more than once, stoppit

JavyOO7

I can't help but think while 3DS will do okay from here on out, I feel that once Nintendo ramps up Wii U titles production that 3DS is going to get left in the dust. There's the 3DS and its eShop and the Wii U and its eShop. Lots of places where Nintendo can place their content. But since WiiU is just doing really bad right now, probably worse than GCN at this point in time, Nintendo will probably put all their sights on Wii U.

And correct me if I'm wrong but it seemed like after the first few years Nintendo more or less didn't keep up a steady pace of software titles with their GBA/DS lineups and focused on their consoles a bit more.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wish they could have more internal studios. I don't want either of their platforms to be left in the dust...

Code:
		Valhalla Knights 3
		Winning Post 7 2013
Your eyes are playing tricks on you, two empty weeks in eartly June.

And those games are irrelevant, except for Valhalla and Idol (lol). Vita will probably dip below 10k very soon.

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510733 (basically zero impact)

Anyway, 9k or 11k, it's all psychological, Vita is already selling horribly and at a reduced price. Time to release dat Vita LCD.

BriBri

I hope Nintendo are preparing a new 3DS model ready for Pokémonth and the Holiday period. I've been talking about lowish numbers for weeks now, obviously there's nothing dire (like with Wii U) but something isn't quite clicking with their target audience.

Time to release dat Vita LCD.
Actually, I'm surprised they haven't done this yet. At the very least they could increase margins on the product or alternatively they could lower the price and potentially sell more for the same margin. It's clearly not enough of a selling point to justify the price.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Your eyes are playing tricks on you, two empty weeks in eartly June.

And those games are irrelevant, except for Valhalla and Idol (lol). Vita will probably dip below 10k very soon.

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510733 (basically zero impact)

Anyway, 9k or 11k, it's all psychological, Vita is already selling horribly and at a reduced price. Time to release dat Vita LCD.

Not quite:

"Well, here's its upcoming schedule for the next three weeks in which it is actually getting games."

But yes, the gap and title relevance is definitely going to hit it.

Actually, I'm surprised they haven't done this yet. At the very least they could increase margins on the product or alternatively they could lower the price and potentially sell more for the same margin. It's clearly not enough of a selling point to justify the price.
Sony can't afford another price-cut, so the only option now is to use cheaper components.

Not quite:

"Well, here's its upcoming schedule for the next three weeks in which it is actually getting games."

But yes, the gap and title relevance is definitely going to hit it.
Aaaah I see, so my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Top Bottom