• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

Pikmin legs and Wii U hardware will be interesting.

Pikmin probably around 30k with bit smaller drop then usually , Wii U ~15k

Also i got no idea what to expect from DC.

What are we expecting this week?
- Wii U and Pikmin 3 path to hell
- Toukiden PSP selling more than Toukiden Vita
- Hino laughing over Youkai Watch success, but then he cries after realizing LBX is dead
- Mario & Luigi bomba posts before it outsells every single one of your fave games

So, I posted on Twitter the other day, but I realised I didn't post anything here. I was at Aeon, the largest mall in my town (200,000~ people) on the weekend. It was the busiest I've seen it all year, which I assume is down to being the first weekend of the summer holidays. The games section was also busy and full of mostly kids and families.

The queue had 10 other groups of in it when I went to pay (M&L + Youkai Watch), and most were buying M&L or a Wii U (3 & 4 group respectively). The others were Youkai, a PSP game, and Nintendogs. This is effectively meaningless information, I know.

I also managed to get a few photos before my phone died.

First, here is the entire Vita section.

BPsOfsyCQAAPiTn.jpg

This is everything they have on Vita in this store, the largest mall in the city. To the right, facing out onto the main path, was the Wii U software and hardware section. There was another shelving unit, like the Vita one above, that was mostly Wii U accessories, but a few Wii ones were there too. I didn't get a photo of either section unfortunately.

For comparison, here is the 3DS section.

BPsOiYjCMAAxqVu.jpg

BPsOo6zCQAMmR2Q.jpg

At the end of the other two aisles, facing the path (Like the Wii U section), there was a 3DS hardware section one, and a TV displaying Pokemon X trailers and the movie trailer on repeat.

The distribution of platforms was something like 3DS >> PSP = DS >> PS3 = Wii >Wii U > Vita. They have no Xbox products on the shelves, the largest mall in the city.

The Wii U's position is in danger, no doubt.

The Wii U's shelving has not changed at this store since launch, the Vita's was cut to make room for it, however.

However, it needs to sell, and it needs to sell soon. I would bet that it needs to be consistently around 15K-20K units in a week with no major software released or it's space will start getting cut into the holiday and next year. This holiday retailers will have 8 platforms on the shelves, with PS4's release and I imagine the two disappointing new products (Vita, Wii U) will be the ones to go first.

This holiday retailers will have 8 platforms on the shelves, with PS4's release and I imagine the two disappointing new products (Vita, Wii U) will be the ones to go first.

Well, that's if the PS4 launches in Japan this year (which may very well happen, but Sony hasn't really indicated one way or the other)

Well, that's if the PS4 launches in Japan this year (which may very well happen, but Sony hasn't really indicated one way or the other)

That's very true and it might be better to hold off for them anyway, since they haven't announced anything that screams huge sales in Japan software wise for launch. However, I don't think they'll miss the holiday season and effectively hand it to Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and Mario.

So, I posted on Twitter the other day, but I realised I didn't post anything here. I was at Aeon, the largest mall in my town (200,000~ people) on the weekend. It was the busiest I've seen it all year, which I assume is down to being the first weekend of the summer holidays. The games section was also busy and full of mostly kids and families.

The queue had 10 other groups of in it when I went to pay (M&L + Youkai Watch), and most were buying M&L or a Wii U (3 & 4 group respectively). The others were Youkai, a PSP game, and Nintendogs. This is effectively meaningless information, I know.

BPsOfsyCQAAPiTn.jpg

This is everything they have on Vita in this store, the largest mall in the city. To the right, facing out onto the main path, was the Wii U software and hardware section. There was another shelving unit, like the Vita one above, that was mostly Wii U accessories, but a few Wii ones were there too. I didn't get a photo of either section unfortunately.

BPsOiYjCMAAxqVu.jpg

BPsOo6zCQAMmR2Q.jpg

At the end of the other two aisles, facing the path (Like the Wii U section), there was a 3DS hardware section one, and a TV displaying Pokemon X trailers and the movie trailer on repeat.

The distribution of platforms was something like 3DS >> PSP = DS >> PS3 = Wii >Wii U > Vita. They have no Xbox products on the shelves, the largest mall in the city.

The Wii U's shelving has not changed at this store since launch, the Vita's was cut to make room for it, however.

However, it needs to sell, and it needs to sell soon. I would bet that it needs to be consistently around 15K-20K units in a week with no major software released or it's space will start getting cut into the holiday and next year. This holiday retailers will have 8 platforms on the shelves, with PS4's release and I imagine the two disappointing new products (Vita, Wii U) will be the ones to go first.
I almost thought that guy next to MLB was an Empoleon.

As for Wii U, I think it could have stabilized at 15-20k (not good numbers honestly but better than sub-6k) had it more games to fill the gap between now and the next big release. It's to be expected I guess when third party support is slim to none and Nintendo can release only so many first party games at a time. It's going to go backto those numbers soon, and i don't think W101 is going to help much.

Famitsu seems to be out, looking at a common JP source, there's a new Medabots for 3DS called Medabots DUEL (メダロットDUAL)? Translate seems to point it being a 2D fighting game. o_O

Proper translation would be appreciated.

Edit: Deleted the wall of JP text in case that's a no-no.

Myshkin

I still say NCL should do everything they can to dissociate Wii_ from those titles. Renaming them might seem silly, but Wii_ is of no help whatsoever.

Yes. Ditch the 'Wii' and go with the 'U'. U. U. U. This is a new system. There should be games with names like
U Zombie U

I wouldn't exactly be too negative on wiiu even if sales fall under 10k, but if pikmin has a bad collapse and doesn't maintain pikmin 1 type legs at least for a month or two it will be a diss appointment

Yes. Ditch the 'Wii' and go with the 'U'. U. U. U. This is a new system. There should be games with names like
U Zombie U

some u stuff is already taken, U play is ubisoft, U draw is the corpse of thq, U sports seems to be some community sports thing, Ufit is a gym franchise i think.

According to Shinobi's Twitter (https://twitter.com/sinobintage):
Figures are for the first 6 months of the year as far as I can tell. Feel free to mock/correct any game names I missed.

Software Units in 2013 by Publisher:
1. Nintendo (5.19M)
2. Namco Bandai (3.48M)
3. Sqaure Enix (2.06M)
4. Konami (1.2M)
5. Capcom (1.12M)

3DS Software Sales for 2013:
1. Animal Crossing: New Lead (1.37M)
2. Dragon Quest 7 (1.21M)
3. Tomodachi Collection (1.2M)
Total: 3.78M

Vita Software Sales for 2013:
1. Soul Sacrifice (180K)
2. Senran Kagura (130K)
3. Toukiden (120K)
Total: 430K

Wii U Software Sales for 2013:
1. NSMBU (140K)
2. Nintendo Land (110K)
3. Dragon Quest X (70K)
Total: 320K

PS3 Software Sales for 2013:
1. Metal Gear Rising (440K)
2. One Piece Pirate Musou 2 (390K)
3. Dynasty Warriors 7 (320K)
Total: 1.15M

PSP Software Sales for 2013:
1. Sword Art Online (190K)
2. Pro Yakyu Spirits (150K)
3. Summon Knight 5 (120K)
Total: 460K

Wii Software Sales for 2013:
1. Taiko (190K)
2. Mario Party 9 (50K)
3. Wii Sports Resort (40K)
Total: 280K

So basically, software-wise it's:

3DS >>> PS3 >>> PSP > Vita > Wii U > Wii

L Thammy

Famitsu seems to be out, looking at a common JP source, there's a new Medabots for 3DS called Medabots DUEL (メダロットDUAL)? Translate seems to point it being a 2D fighting game. o_O

Proper translation would be appreciated.

Edit: Deleted the wall of JP text in case that's a no-no.

Maybe in the vein of Medabots AX?

guek

Banned

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPsOfsyCQAAPiTn.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPsOiYjCMAAxqVu.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BPsOo6zCQAMmR2Q.jpg[IMG]

However, it needs to sell, and it needs to sell soon. I would bet that it needs to be consistently around 15K-20K units in a week with no major software released or it's space will start getting cut into the holiday and next year. This holiday retailers will have 8 platforms on the shelves, with PS4's release and I imagine the two disappointing new products (Vita, Wii U) will be the ones to go first.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, that's a really interesting look into shelf allocation in Japan. I imagine they'll cut out Wii space for sure when PS4 launches as well as strip a bit of space from PSP and DS. I hope Wii U can hold on, space allocation by retailers can be crucial for the holiday season.

Fascinating.

This seems to be a trend worldwide, with Wii U retail getting pulled to various degrees in major USA / UK retailers.

Speaking from my own experience... last time I was at a Best Buy (New York City, USA) and checked out the game section, it looked like this:

360 > PS3 >> 3DS = Wii > DS >> Vita > Wii U

There is a severe risk of Wii U losing all retail presence post-holiday season if its core titles don't distinguish and outshine the competition.

BlackJace

Yea, I was at a Gamestop (hate their brick and mortar stores, but I was in the area) a week ago to pick up SMT IV, and saw the Wii U section.

Very small, and in the corner.

Nintendo's got work to do.

How have lego games performed in japan and how has the promotion been for Undercover?

Any chance of it hitting 100k LTD?

As far as I can tell, they have never existed here. There are commercials on the official site, but I have seen zero evidence of them in the 'wild'. 100K seems like a far stretch, especially as an exclusive. Perhaps they can pull 20~30K.

Here's the commercials on the official site: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/aplj/tvcm/index.html

extralite

I still say NCL should do everything they can to dissociate Wii_ from those titles. Renaming them might seem silly, but Wii_ is of no help whatsoever.

Without the success of the Wii franchises the Wii U is destined to be another Gamecube. Trying to appeal to core gamers but being mostly ignored in favor of Playstation.

It looks like the Wii phenomenon cannot be replicated in this new generation. But does that mean they shouldn't even try to hold on to that audience?

Renaming Wii _ games would ensure casuals won't notice or buy them. Renaming them won't fool core gamers. Publishing under the old names won't stop core gamers to buy a Wii U for the other games they actually want, 3D World or Kart, but it will sell these games to some of the old casual audience.

Really, Nintendo needs to maximize the success of the Wii _ line of games because they are the only thing that can lift the U above the GC. Case in point, Pikmin is performing as it did on GC.

Nintendo Land isn't necessarily an indication for just how bad/disappointing the actual Wii _games will do either. First of all, it is lacking the Wii _ part in the title. Maybe it would have sold better if it had featured it. Second, the U is quite expensive and Nintendo Land is lacking the simple appeal of Wii Sports (Nintendo Land remote bundle is also held back by the high price of the Wii U). Third, the decline of Mii character game success started with Wii Motion, which is part of the more gamey side of mini game collections and Nintendo Land is closely connected to this line of releases.

Wii Sports and Wii Fit appeal to casuals because of their cartoony realism. They don't have abstract game systems, or complex controls, or gameplay as a tool for narration. They are sport simulations, easily understood, concrete and require you to actually move.

Maybe they will fail just as bad as other casual franchises in the new gen. Maybe they will somewhat succeed. Maybe they will be able to to recreate their success like Animal Crossing. Since Resort no other comparable title in the Wii _ line has been released. So the potential for these games on Wii U is still untested.

Without the success of the Wii franchises the Wii U is destined to be another Gamecube. Trying to appeal to core gamers but being mostly ignored in favor of Playstation.

It looks like the Wii phenomenon cannot be replicated in this new generation. But does that mean they shouldn't even try to hold on to that audience?

Renaming Wii _ games would ensure casuals won't notice or buy them. Renaming them won't fool core gamers. Publishing under the old names won't stop core gamers to buy a Wii U for the other games they actually want, 3D World or Kart, but it will sell these games to some of the old casual audience.

Really, Nintendo needs to maximize the success of the Wii _ line of games because they are the only thing that can lift the U above the GC. Case in point, Pikmin is performing as it did on GC.

Nintendo Land isn't necessarily an indication for just how bad/disappointing the actual Wii _games will do either. First of all, it is lacking the Wii _ part in the title. Maybe it would have sold better if it had featured it. Second, the U is quite expensive and Nintendo Land is lacking the simple appeal of Wii Sports (Nintendo Land remote bundle is also held back by the high price of the Wii U). Third, the decline of Mii character game success started with Wii Motion, which is part of the more gamey side of mini game collections and Nintendo Land is closely connected to this line of releases.

Wii Sports and Wii Fit appeal to casuals because of their cartoony realism. They don't have abstract game systems, or complex controls, or gameplay as a tool for narration. They are sport simulations, easily understood, concrete and require you to actually move.

Maybe they will fail just as bad as other casual franchises in the new gen. Maybe they will somewhat succeed. Maybe they will be able to to recreate their success like Animal Crossing. Since Resort no other comparable title in the Wii _ line has been released. So the potential for these games on Wii U is still untested.

The lack of third parties is what causes this.

Ratrat

So, I posted on Twitter the other day, but I realised I didn't post anything here. I was at Aeon, the largest mall in my town (200,000~ people) on the weekend...
This is everything they have on Vita in this store, the largest mall in the city.
Malls aren't the best place to gauge this kind of thing IMO. They almost always have shitty game selections. Most of the business would be in the numerous electronics and game stores.

Malls aren't the best place to gauge this kind of thing IMO. They almost always have shitty game selections. Most of the business would be in the numerous electronics and game stores.

Fair point, but the shelf space at games and electronics stores is no better, and in some cases (like the Yamada Denki) it is significantly worse. The 3DS space is double what is the photos, while the Vita is about the same.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So what would be considered relatively good numbers for Pikmin 3 this week? 50-60k ?

Would not be surprised to see Wii U back down to 10.000 or less

Ratrat

Fair point, but the shelf space at games and electronics stores is no better, and in some cases (like the Yamada Denki) it is significantly worse. The 3DS space is double what is the photos, while the Vita is about the same.
I haven't been to many recently. But the vita usually does seem to have the least shelf space. Software is just not there. However that seems incredibly poor, even my local Geo has at least double that.

Madouu

So what would be considered relatively good numbers for Pikmin 3 this week? 50-60k ?

Would not be surprised to see Wii U back down to 10.000 or less

No way it does 50k. It's probably going to sit at 20k in my opinion. That's my "good performance for a pikmin game" prediction.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ok, thanks guys! I have much to learn about the wonders of the sales-age, despite coming in second in the NPD prediction thread! :p

No way it does 50k. It's probably going to sit at 20k in my opinion. That's my "good performance for a pikmin game" prediction.

20k would be low imo, thats an ~80% drop from first week usually only niche rpgs get those kind of drops.

Don't games drop around 70% after. The first week?

Depends on the game, usually 70% is pretty standard, good word of mouth or undershipping first week will push it lower and frotloaded games higher. We've been hearing how Pikmin only had 2 days of sales since page one as a reason it's not higher first week sales so if some first week sales are leaking into week 2 it should have a lower than normal drop.

Daedardus

There has been a First Quarter moon last week, and combined with Cancer having shifted approximately 8 degrees has led me to believe Pikmin 3 and the Wii U underperformed.

Don't worry, Leo will make next week a lot better.

yeah cuz i can't stand the smell of BS

The only person spewing BS is you. Unlike you the other poster had valid sales data to back his point up whereas you just come in these threads spew some nonsense or claim a certain post is wrong without showing any sales data to back your point up.

Madouu

20k would be low imo, thats an ~80% drop from first week usually only niche rpgs get those kind of drops.

Not really, Pikmin saw a 75% drop after its first week, Pikmin 2 >80%. That's just how this particular franchise performs.

Also generally, a lot of games are this frontloaded, not only niche RPGs. I wouldn't call dragon quest exactly niche in Japan, yet DQ IX had a 75% drop after its first week.

Anything less than 30k would be disappointing imo.

I hope M&L RPG 4 does over 150k...really scared for that title :\

150k would be excellent, I don't think the 700k LTD of the last title is achievable right now.

Not really, Pikmin saw a 75% drop after its first week, Pikmin 2 >80%. That's just how this particular franchise performs.

Also generally, a lot of games are this frontloaded, not only niche RPGs. I wouldn't call dragon quest exactly niche in Japan, yet it DQ IX had a 75% drop in its second week.

75% isn't 80% and rpgs i think general tend to have bigger drops

Madouu

75% isn't 80% and rpgs i think general tend to have bigger drops

My first point is that the Pikmin franchise already had a 75% and a >80% drop in the past. In the case of Pikmin 3, a 20k prediction equals a 78% drop which is in line with the franchise past performances.

My second point is that big rpgs are also very frontloaded which is a counter example to what you said about "only niche rpgs" seeing heavy drops. It's not particularly related to Pikmin.

I'd also add that it's not particularly specific to rpgs. Series like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil or Dynasty Warriors all see around 80% drops after their first week sales.

what will be interesting is its legs

I agree, it will also be very interesting to compare future wii u releases performances to Pikmin 3 sales.

Top Bottom