• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2017 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

At least wait until tomorrow before declaring these are skipping over it entirely. Just because they're not announced yet doesn't mean they can't be.

Tomorrow? You mean for Famitsu's Switch software coverage? Are we expecting new announcements for certain? I feel like it'll just be covering what we saw in the presentation and no more. :(

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tomorrow? You mean for Famitsu's Switch software coverage? Are we expecting new announcements for certain? I feel like it'll just be covering what we saw in the presentation and no more. :(

Final Fantasy 30th anniversary event.

Mario007

A: Hi, my name is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and it seems I'm not a Final Fantasy game.
B: Oh, golly! It seems I'm not alone in this. But this should be expected, since I'm Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. If my predecessor can't exist, how could it?
C: You two speak for yourselves! I'm Final Fantasy Explorers, and I don't exist either! I guess trying to appeal to the MH crowd makes me a not-Final Fantasy game after all. Even World of Final Fantasy, which sold fewer units than me in Japan, is a FF game!
I'll give you explorers, forgot about that one.

Theatherythm is its own brand though, since there's a DQ theatherythm game.

Even if we were to count all of three, it's great to get a glimpse of just what kind of FF games might release on the Switch.

jonno394

No worries. :)

Chances are nothing Switch related will happen, but I'd be down for a few ports later this year (FF XII, World of etc).

Admittedly, Dragon Quest Builders is the Square game I most want ported. Enjoyed it for a while on PS4 but gave up as console gaming just isn't my thing atm. Would undoubtedly put dozens of hours in to it on the switch in handheld mode though!

Admittedly, Dragon Quest Builders is the Square game I most want ported. Enjoyed it for a while on PS4 but gave up as console gaming just isn't my thing atm. Would undoubtedly put dozens of hours in to it on the switch in handheld mode though!

There seems to be a glaring solution to this that doesn't involve a Switch port, lol.

duckroll

Atlus is targeting "HD systems" with this SMT title - so you dont think this has any influence on the production values compared to their past handheld titles ?

I don't know. I don't know anything about the game. I don't even know what sort of genre it is. Only that it is in 3D, in HD, on UE4, and has SMT demons in it. Maybe you know more?

Orgen

Suggesting that SE could easily port World of FF to switch when we don't have even a PC version... My god, some of you should spend some time with a developer team to see how "easy" is to port games.

Besides, Switch will get Final Fantasy titles.

cw_sasuke

I don't know. I don't know anything about the game. I don't even know what sort of genre it is. Only that it is in 3D, in HD, on UE4, and has SMT demons in it. Maybe you know more?

"Production values" on Switch projects not being able to meet the demands of the Vita players was the point of the argument.

We dont know anything about the upcoming SMT title - but we know that japanese devs using UE4, targeting consoles and HD development can and are including Switch into their plans.

duckroll

"Production values" on Switch projects not being able to meet the demands of the Vita players was the point of the argument.

We dont know anything about the upcoming SMT title - but we know that japanese devs using UE4, targeting consoles and HD development can and are including Switch into their plans.

Irrelevant example since SMT isn't even on the Vita. Atlus doesn't have many Vita games that they developed either. The last 3 SMT games have been on DS and 3DS.

So again, what is your point? I'm not arguing about Vita games. I'm poking fun at you for claiming that this SMT will defintiely have very high production values which are not possible on Vita or whatever, just because it is on UE4, when we know nothing about it. Don't use bad examples.

Datschge

I wonder how fast Vita sales in Japan will dry up after the Switch launches.
By trying to push developers to PS4 Sony is actually way more of a direct "danger" to Vita than Switch ever will be. Danger for the involved developers as well, can't see that ending well for Falcom and the likes. Been pretty impressed by NIS' reaction for this very reason actually.

enishi

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-12242305100.html

Sinobi talked about the pre-order of Switch on Amazon.jp

Except some cancellation releasing the slot, all pre-orders for console on launch day have already finished

If we take Switch unit pre-order number as 100, software pre-order status is as follow:

BotW: nearly 60 (WiiU ver is much less than this number)
MK8D: nearly 30
Bomberman, DQ Heroes: around 5-6
1-2-Switch: 2-3

And Hori Play Stand is the most popular accessories for pre-order

Oregano

Suggesting that SE could easily port World of FF to switch when we don't have even a PC version... My god, some of you should spend some time with a developer team to see how "easy" is to port games.

Besides, Switch will get Final Fantasy titles.

World of FF is a multiplatform game running on a Middleware engine(whose developer is working directly on Switch). If a port isn't easy then something went wrong.

By trying to push developers to PS4 Sony is actually way more of a direct "danger" to Vita than Switch ever will be. Danger for the involved developers as well, can't see that ending well for Falcom and the likes. Been pretty impressed by NIS' reaction for this very reason actually.

NIS supporting Switch won't exactly go well for them.

World of FF is a multiplatform game running on a Middleware engine(whose developer is working directly on Switch). If a port isn't easy then something went wrong.

You need to pick one shtick. Either the Switch is doomed because [franchise] wasn't announced before launch, or [developer] is doomed for showing up to the party.

Yes, investing in a dead handheld, no thanks :p

I mean, you've begged in multiple threads for ports of games which are already on Vita (DQB; WoFF; FF VII-IX) and highlighted that "console gaming just isn't your thing atm".

Sounds like the console isn't dead to you because it offers an experience that is exactly what you're asking for, but you're just repeating internet rhetoric about it. It's not even a particularly large "investment" anymore, lol.

*shrug*.

(I've never understood the whole argument you're making. A console is only as good as the games you want for it. Buying on future promises/potential is never, ever something I'd do and I only ever purchase consoles after they've got a big enough library of games that I'm already interested in, after which the purchase is already justified. But I suppose people are just different in that regard).

P.S. Sorry for heading off topic

KtSlime

SE has a budget, and that budget is surely set in advance, and that determines what games get made when. They probably only had enough money to port one failed game to the Switch at a time, they chose Setsuna first.

jonno394

I mean, you've begged in multiple threads for ports of games which are already on Vita (DQB; WoFF; FF VII-IX) and highlighted that "console gaming just isn't your thing atm".

I wouldn't call it "begged", just indicated what I would like to see from the Square event and future potential Square support, if they don't materialise then I'm not bothered, I just won't play them, they'd just be nice things to add to the growing switch library :shrug:

Vita is pretty much a dead device, if not now then a year down the line, there's no arguing that. Yes there are games I would like to play, but not at the expense of paying for hardware I won't be using for long or won't be supported for much longer. I think you're looking in to my use of dead a bit much tbh, all I meant was in terms of it's active lifespan and support :p

Anyway, I too deem this off topic so i'll end it there, anything else, PM me ;)

cw_sasuke

So again, what is your point? I'm not arguing about Vita games. I'm poking fun at you for claiming that this SMT will defintiely have very high production values which are not possible on Vita or whatever, just because it is on UE4, when we know nothing about it. Don't use bad examples.

I didnt claim that at all - that is just the point you are trying to push for whatever reason.

Switch not being able to produce titles with production values that met Vita users expectations is not true, since development studios are including it for projects that target higher specs hardware - which usually result higher production values.

The argument was fine on Nintendo DS when saying Tales of fans expect more from the IP when it comes to the audio visual experience. Saying Switch wont be able to satisfy Vita owners when it supports UE4 and more demanding console multiplattform development is weird.

if they don't materialise then I'm not bothered, I just won't play them, they'd just be nice things to add to the growing switch library :shrug:

Aha, well that pretty much answers everything then, lol. I'm not sure you actually really want those games on a handheld then, just more content in general for Switch :p

I don't see how they're not going to sell a few tens of thousands of their home console ports and < 10k of their smaller efforts on Switch, which is all they were getting on Vita.

duckroll

If Falcom could make a good looking game like GR2, their Asia fans would buy it, Falcom has big fanbase in Asia

I don't understand what this means. CS1 and CS2 already have Asian releases. They sold well. What basis is there to believe that CS3 will sell more on PS4 compared to PS3 and Vita? The idea that Asia sales can "make up" for declining Japanese releases is foolish, especially when applied to franchises which have already benefit from localized Asian releases.

I don't understand what this means. CS1 and CS2 already have Asian releases. They sold well. What basis is there to believe that CS3 will sell more on PS4 compared to PS3 and Vita? The idea that Asia sales can "make up" for declining Japanese releases is foolish, especially when applied to franchises which have already benefit from localized Asian releases.

Well PS4 probably has already way higher active userbase in Asia compared to PS3 and Vita ( just like in west). Sony has constantly bragged how well PS4 has sold in Asia compared to past Playstations (excluding Japan obviously). Not saying that Asia always makes up for declining sales in Japan though but going from PS3/Vita to PS4 increases your potential buying audience.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.

Asia sales is far more than "make up". For example, look the BloodBorne sales last 30 days in taobao(China ebay),it still sell thousands of copies. Chinese gamers is willing to buy games when they cannot get pirate, so PS4 exclusive titles sold very well.
I think CS3 should have a vita version, it doesn't look good. But for the future of "Trails" series, I hope Falcom co-develop with SIEJ to make a better-looking game and sell blockbuster here.

By the way. Chinese Version usually release much earlier than western version, we got Yakuza 0 2 years ago and Yakuza Kiwami&6 simultaneous, Tales of Berseria at 2016/8/31, what make them localize so fast? I think it's because Asia sales>Western

Fisico

No six months hiatus this time.

Here's the updated monthly Famitsu Top 30 digital sales estimates document.

digital-ratio-graph-d7luh7.png

As last year December see a spike in retail sales which dwarfs the digital ratio.

I'm still trying to figure what to do with all these data, I may be able to do some nice graph for 2016 later on.

Oregano

You need to pick one shtick. Either the Switch is doomed because [franchise] wasn't announced before launch, or [developer] is doomed for showing up to the party.

It's the reverse of the rising tide lifts all boats thing. If a plurality of those developers supported Switch that would have a big effect but NIS will suffer from being the only one there.

If it works then that's great for them, if not what else can they do/could they have done?

Hope their forwardworks deal does well!

How much do you think Disgaea 5 Complete will need to sell in Japan and WW in order for NIS to be satisfied with its performance?

I don't see how they're not going to sell a few tens of thousands of their home console ports and < 10k of their smaller efforts on Switch, which is all they were getting on Vita.

Disgaea 5 is going to absolutely crater. Sub-20k worldwide wouldn't surprise me.

But Falcom going PS4 only will?

Nah, the thing to take away from Switch is that everyone's kinda fucked now.

StereoVsn

It's quite clear that niche Japanese publishers need to look at platforms other then just a PS4. Whether it's Switch or mobile for Japan and PC/Switch for the West, I doubt PS4 alone will carry some of the more niche Devs like Falcom or NIS.

Thankfully if the developers are using modern middleware porting should t be as onerous as if using custom engine.

Edit: I don't get how NIS will suffer in releasing Disgaea 5 on the Switch when there is a lack of games on the platform. If anything NIS should benefit since customers will be looking for something to play. Considering that Disgaea 5 sales were not that good, porting to the Switch hopefully will net then both sales and awareness whether in Japan or the West.

Considering the PS4 version's sales I doubt it. It's a late port and Nintendo platforms don't have an audience for NIS games.

Good luck with that.

Are we seriously talking about a situation where the handheld Disgaea games go from selling 70-80k to failing to sell 20k?

I don't buy it. I know, I know, the series fell in sales on home consoles, but even if we're talking a general decline, sales will be boosted by virtue of it being a launch title on a fairly anticipated new system.

Switch is also lacking in JRPGs in the short term, as I think it's only Disgaea 5 and Setsuna for the time being. Not sure if Dragon Quest Heroes or even Zelda count.

Plus, D5 is a retail game in the west unlike Setsuna, so that's one advantage to folks who don't buy digital and/or want a physical copy for collecting purposes.

And of course you have the portable market to sell to, which is big in Japan, and the Vita fans who would've bought it on there would have to buy it on Switch for their portable fix now.

Even Setsuna had a Vita version (only in Japan IIRC).

Malakai

Considering the PS4 version's sales I doubt it. It's a late port and Nintendo platforms don't have an audience for NIS games.

I feel like Nintendo handhelds have been building an audience for those that like SRPGs. I'm not sure if that audience would transfer so early in the Switch lifetime. As a western, Disgaea 5 is one of the very few games that I'm looking forward to so I am a bit partial.

Oregano

I mean at least try to not post absolutely stupid predictions if you're going to be on the Switch is doomed train.

There's only two third party games with any interest in them whatsoever; Bomberman and Dq Heroes. Everything else is going to do terribly.

Are we seriously talking about a situation where the handheld Disgaea games go from selling 70-80k to failing to sell 20k?

I don't buy it. I know, I know, the series fell in sales on home consoles, but even if we're talking a general decline, sales will be boosted by virtue of it being a launch title on a fairly anticipated new system.

It's going to be hurt by the lack of similar software both at launch and announced for the future. Niikawa has had to reassure people that they're definitely supporting Switch more than once.

I feel like Nintendo handhelds have been building an audience for those that like SRPGs. I'm not sure if that audience would transfer so early in the Switch lifetime. As a western, Disgaea 5 is one of the very few games that I'm looking forward to so I am a bit partial.

Eehhh I kind of backed that argument a few years ago but stuff like Tales: Reve Unitia and Stella Glow both bombed.

Asd202

I dont know what or if SE has FF plans for Switch. But we have Cloud in Smash...and if there is something happening it will likely be announced at e3 or a fall cconference whenever Smash Bros. Switch is shown.

So because Cloud is in Smash SE has big plans planned for Switch but at the same time they didn't reveal anything FF related at the Switch event but instead DQ and some other games. That's a stretch if I ever seen one.

Truth is Cloud in Smash means absolutely nothing. It's just a most popular and recognizable character in the franchise so if SE and Nintendo wanted to put a character in Smash of course it would be Cloud.

Switch will probably get some FF spinoffs just like 3DS but that's it.

jonno394

There's only two third party games with any interest in them whatsoever; Bomberman and Dq Heroes. Everything else is going to do terribly.

Everything else are extremely late ports (romance of the three kingdoms, nobunga, disgaea) so I'm expecting low sales like you. i can't blame gamers for not going mad about them for full price.

I'd hope Disgaea does decently though.

Top Bottom