• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2014 (Aug 04 - Aug 10)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are people really expecting a particularly strong showing for the PS4 from Japanese developers? Seems foolish I think. If the new Yakuza they announce soon is exclusively for PS4, that might be a good sign that publishers are positive about the future of the console. If it's still PS3/PS4, then.... lol.

They already announced it for PS3/PS4 as of July no?

L~A

^

Yes, they did!

I wonder how Forbidden Magna will do.
Rune Factory has always done well on DS/3DS, but this is a very different game, targeting a similar audience as Senran Kagura.

Not really. You're comparing a 2D brawler to a Simulation-RPG. Even if you only focus on pure fanservice, both games really differs from each other (KnM doesn't really have much fanservice at all...). Sure, some SK fans might be interested in KM, but that's only because people aren't really confined to boxes and won't buy anything not in that box.

I see where you're coming at, though. Personally, I think it should do well (maybe 100k LTD?). Looks like a low-budget game, too, so I doubt Marvelous! will be expecting 250k for FW.

Oh. Well RIP PS4 then.

Lol

Nothing they will (realistically) announce at TGS will revive the PS4 next year, much less this . Even exclusive Yakuza would only slow down the corpse decay.

With the exception of FFXV fall 2015 release date, but that's in the unrealistic category.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The PS4 probably isn't going to get anything big and not on the PS3 until 2016 with the way things are going.

I think it's best chance is something like Resident Evil 7 in Fall 2015, since that will primarily target the West.

I'm not sure how meaningful that would be overall though.

Persona 4 Golden seems to be consistently showing up on Media Create but has disappeared from Dengeki (and wasn't doing as well on there anyway). Hm.

I think it's best chance is something like Resident Evil 7 in Fall 2015, since that will primarily target the West.

Well, given that RE still does respectable numbers In Japan, probably better than Bloodborne.

Busaiku

Persona 4 Golden seems to be consistently showing up on Media Create but has disappeared from Dengeki (and wasn't doing as well on there anyway). Hm.

The difference is gonna be in the hundreds for anything that low.
It might be really easy to mess up something like that, given the data they each receive.

duckroll

Well, given that RE still does respectable numbers In Japan, probably better than Bloodborne.

I think titles like Bloodborne are actually far more important to the PS4 than something like RE7. A single title from an already popular franchise in a sea of nothingness is not really going to do a system any favors. We can see the same effect when FFXIII sold over a million copies on the PS3. It was a one-off and it remains the only title which has sold over a million copies on the platform in Japan. The system didn't take off at that point either.

It was only when there were more and more popular titles on the platform, that we saw the average sales of PS3 software increasing to a level where it was worthwhile for more developers to jump in even for mid-range and low-range stuff. The availability of a variety of titles and a steady release of more software regularly is what kept the PS3's consumer base alive.

Sandfox

I'm not really sure what to expect form RE7 after RE6 and the install base the PS4 will have at that time.

The difference is gonna be in the hundreds for anything that low.
It might be really easy to mess up something like that, given the data they each receive.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It just seems a little weird that they can consistently come to an agreement about something like Sword Art Online selling a couple of thousand each week, but can be evidently quite far apart on Persona.

Guess it'll just come down to what stores they poll or something.

I think titles like Bloodborne are actually far more important to the PS4 than something like RE7. A single title from an already popular franchise in a sea of nothingness is not really going to do a system any favors. We can see the same effect when FFXIII sold over a million copies on the PS3. It was a one-off and it remains the only title which has sold over a million copies on the platform in Japan. The system didn't take off at that point either.

It was only when there were more and more popular titles on the platform, that we saw the average sales of PS3 software increasing to a level where it was worthwhile for more developers to jump in even for mid-range and low-range stuff. The availability of a variety of titles and a steady release of more software regularly is what kept the PS3's consumer base alive.

The one off boosts are what helps generates the ripple effect for more games across the platform though.

Without the big games pushing systems over a certain threshold and reassuring third party that there's value in investing their games there,we wouldn't even get those games.

duckroll

The one off boosts are what helps generates the ripple effect for more games across the platform though.

Without the big games pushing systems over a certain threshold and reassuring third party that there's value in investing their games there,we wouldn't even get those games.

The ripple effect is worthless without an actual stream of lower range titles doing well though. Which is why new IPs and mid-range franchises showing that they can still pull in 300-500k or so is very important to those publishers sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if the platform is viable. Very few games are at the 800k+ range, so they will generally be less comparable to something like RE.

Big titles are certainly good for a platform, but having a viable ecosystem itself is far more important. Just look at the WiiU.

Lol

Nothing they will (realistically) announce at TGS will revive the PS4 next year, much less this . Even exclusive Yakuza would only slow down the corpse decay.

With the exception of FFXV fall 2015 release date, but that's in the unrealistic category.

FFXV is the PS4's biggest trump card right now but SE being SE its probably for 2016.

We'll see whats at TGS for the PS4.

I like this convo so I'm gonna chime in a little late.

I see Japan even in this instance as a bellweather. It may take the west longer to catch up, but the muted successes of both PS4 and One since their launches might point to just such a situation. Maybe there is just a much larger pool of dedicated game system owners? Not enough to slow the bleed to mobile environs (need to see holiday sales to see just how much interest actually exists) but One has already slowed to a crawl and PS4 has been or soon will be outpaced by Wii LTD by next summer outpaced by PS2.

Sony could sell 100 million PS4's and we'd still be looking at a hugely depressed market. If it's significantly under that you could still end up with healthy software sales for specific titles and a market viewed as unsustainable, unsupportable.

Change is definitely in the air. Very glad I don't have inputlock. I can play with a variety of disparate control methods and have a good time.

Destroying sales records apparently = muted success.

Japan does not represent the trends of the world´s market. It´s not a bellweather of video game markets. Since last year after the immediate launch of the WiiU, and the WiiU selling like crap, some people began saying that console market is dead. The UK market is dead, since the WiiU software sold 34k in a whole month etc. The PS4 went out and sold 250k in 2 days in the UK. So much for the death of the UK video game market.

Are people really expecting a particularly strong showing for the PS4 from Japanese developers? Seems foolish I think. If the new Yakuza they announce soon is exclusively for PS4, that might be a good sign that publishers are positive about the future of the console. If it's still PS3/PS4, then.... lol.

There were people on this forum who honestly expected Nintendo to announce new software at gamescom; I wouldn't be too surprised if there are more than a few people who still believe that Japanese developers outside of Konami, Capcom, and (maybe) Square Enix are confident in the PS4's eastern future.

Eolz

I can see Team Ninja's first PS4 project being announced at TGS.
Wouldn't do much in japan but would make me buy the console :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Smash Bros. 3DS selling a million + in its first week sounds more and more likely - well if Nintendo ships enough copies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There were people on this forum who honestly expected Nintendo to announce new software at gamescom; I wouldn't be too surprised if there are more than a few people who still believe that Japanese developers outside of Konami, Capcom, and (maybe) Square Enix are confident in the PS4's eastern future.

Are those publishers confident in its Eastern future?

Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts are all series that have sales heavily skewed toward the West on console, some of them very heavily.

Capcom's only Japanese developed retail PS4 game is Deep Down, which despite not being announced for the West yet, has all its voice acting in English even when shown off in Japan.

I don't get the impression any of these games are being greenlit for PS4 with Japan in mind.

StevieP

Banned

Japan does not represent the trends of the world´s market. It´s not a bellweather of video game markets. Since last year after the immediate launch of the WiiU, and the WiiU selling like crap, some people began saying that console market is dead. The UK market is dead, since the WiiU software sold 34k in a whole month etc. The PS4 went out and sold 250k in 2 days in the UK. So much for the death of the UK video game market.

It's going to be a sad day for you when the ps4 streams cross with the Wii and ps2

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
It's going to be a sad day for you when the ps4 streams cross with the Wii and ps2

I think the fact that it hasn't crossed those streams yet, or just recently did, with 2 of the best selling systems of all time means its anything but a "muted success".

As far as Japan, yeah its not looking great.

hiska-kun

GamesMaya's report

- Hyrule Warriors had a slow start yesterday. (She points it rained)
- But today, the game is moving. There are also persons who are buying the Wii U. So hardware is moving.
- When she asks "why are you buying the game?", many answers are "because I like both games" and "because we can play 2 together".

The game rating seems good between users, that's why she wish it can have some legs.

extralite

Capcom's only Japanese developed retail PS4 game is Deep Down, which despite not being announced for the West yet, has all its voice acting in English even when shown off in Japan.

That's very common though. Even Star Ocean on the SNES had English voice acting with Japanese subtitles in its opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIiPiXjsZSk

It gives games a Hollywood movie feel.* During PS era they started to do this a lot, especially Capcom and Konami. The roots of Japanese video game popularity go back to Hollywood styles as well, Nintendo taking inspiration from King Kong and Aliens for example.

*In Japan you always have the option to watch dubbed or subtitled in cinemas or for video rentals, but everyone watches subbed. The rental stores have like 20 subbed videos and 2 dubbed for popular titles.

You also forgot the addendum "since launch".

Jan-July neither One nor PS4 have exactly been selling on par with market leaders of prior generations. They had some terrific launches, but interest since has been between 360 and Xbox levels of interest. Not PS2 or Wii. Therefore muted.

Jan-July neither One nor PS4 have exactly been selling on par with market leaders of prior generations. They had some terrific launches, but interest since has been between 360 and Xbox levels of interest. Not PS2 or Wii. Therefore muted.

Eh? At the beginning of january sell trough for PS4 was 4.2 million. Now at the beginning of august it was 10 million. That makes 828k per month which is pretty damn great for first year.

Jamix012

I think the fact that it hasn't crossed those streams yet, or just recently did, with 2 of the best selling systems of all time means its anything but a "muted success".

As far as Japan, yeah its not looking great.

I think you're missing the point he's making. I don't think anyone isn't claiming the PS4 isn't doing good for Sony. However even with 10 million under it's belt it's not nearly selling enough to be the only relevant console. Can the Xbox One Recover? Maaaybe, but it's somewhat doubtful. Even if the PS4 manages like 100 million (which personally I think is a bit much, but I hear people touting bigger numbers) that's a huge contraction in the console industry if the other 2 only manage 60 million between them (I think 60 million is extremely optimistic too)

Eh? At the beginning of january sell trough for PS4 was 4.2 million. Now at the beginning of august it was 10 million. That makes 828k per month which is pretty damn great for first year.
For any other console but the market leader sure.

PS4 has or soon will fall behind Wii in LTD sales. By this time next year it will have fallen behind PS2 unless holiday sales are much higher than I expect. This is the trajectory of a 360 more than PS2 or Wii. Which does not bode well for a market that severely needs at least one console shooting for the stars.

The market can only contract so much before it's deemed too expensive for investment. If Sony only manages to sell 80 million PS4's in six years, MS only manages to sell 40 million Ones, and Nintendo only manages to sell 15 million WiiU's you're looking at only 135 million systems sold through that generation. A contraction from the prior generation of 140 million units. And a contraction from the PS2 gen of 75 million units.

Those unit totals are currently what I have as the likely six year LTD tallies PS4 is selling like a 360. One is selling like an Xbox(with big support) and WiiU like a Dreamcast (a DC that's likely to see five to six years on the market). Though those tallies are based on nonholiday month sales. Makes it trickier to figure out where they stand without Holiday interest exactly.

Tripon

GamesMaya's report

- But today, the game is moving. There are also persons who are buying the Wii U. So hardware is moving.
- When she asks "why are you buying the game?", many answers are "because I like both games" and "because we can play 2 together".

The game rating seems good between users, that's why she wish it can have some legs.

That's interesting, a DW type game is selling a system. I might have seen everything now.

L~A

^

A Zelda-themed DW game... that's not your average Warriors game, it's something pretty unique, which is why predicting sales for it isn't easy.

GamesMaya's report

Heh, that's pretty good news, especially the part about HW moving consoles and the fact fans of both games are buying it. Guess there will be a hardware bump, though I'm not expecting crazy numbers.

Really hope the game is successful, and not just for the Wii U's future... I already want more HW, even though game isn't even out in Europe yet.

I don't see why certain people are expecting PS4 to perform like the Wii (with its explosions of sales and subsequent implosion) or the PS2 whose exclusive lineup would no longer be possible in today's market. This behaving like a market leader thing is also quite funny considering in a year 360 will be the best selling console in US and PS4 is keeping quite a bit ahead of it.

For any other console but the market leader sure.

PS4 has or soon will fall behind Wii in LTD sales. By this time next year it will have fallen behind PS2 unless holiday sales are much higher than I expect. This is the trajectory of a 360 more than PS2 or Wii. Which does not bode well for a market that severely needs at least one console shooting for the stars.

The market can only contract so much before it's deemed too expensive for investment. If Sony only manages to sell 80 million PS4's in six years, MS only manages to sell 40 million Ones, and Nintendo only manages to sell 15 million WiiU's you're looking at only 135 million systems sold through that generation. A contraction from the prior generation of 140 million units. And a contraction from the PS2 gen of 75 million units.

Those unit totals are currently what I have as the likely six year LTD tallies PS4 is selling like a 360. One is selling like an Xbox(with big support) and WiiU like a Dreamcast (a DC that's likely to see five to six years on the market). Though those tallies are based on nonholiday month sales. Makes it trickier to figure out where they stand without Holiday interest exactly.

Well the problem is that PS4 is not selling like X360. It still way way ahead and the gap is actually growing every month. Even if it some magical way would fall behind X360 pace in future that would take years and years (X360 sold 85 million because insanely long tail thanks to Kinect). I just really don't see how people are predicting PS4 selling less than PS3. It's absolutely trashing PS3 in every market except Japan. Market contraction? Absolutely yes solely already because massive flop that is WiiU but nothing is indicating PS4 selling less than 100 million units. I mean it could happen but really nothing is indicating it at the moment. It's not relying to gimmick like Wii (not to mention it has support of every major third party publisher) and it's still ahead of every other console released ever by far.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well the problem is that PS4 is not selling like X360. It still way way ahead and the gap is actually growing every month. Even if it some magical way would fall behind X360 pace in future that would take years and years (X360 sold 85 million because insanely long tail thanks to Kinect). I just really don't see how people are predicting PS4 selling less than PS3. It's absolutely trashing PS3 in every market except Japan. Market contraction? Absolutely yes solely already because massive flop that is WiiU but nothing is indicating PS4 selling less than 100 million units. I mean it could happen but really nothing is indicating it at the moment. It's not relying to gimmick like Wii (not to mention it has support of every major third party publisher) and it's still ahead of every other console released ever by far.

PS4 can easily sell less than PS3. I haven't followed WW sales sales lately but I'm not so sure PS4 it's still ahead of every other console released ever by far. In fact looking at its NPD sales lately I doubt its monthly sales are so much better from 360 launch aligned, if you take out the explosive launch.

edit: Actually things are worse than what I was remembering.

NPD July sales:

PS4 - 187K
XBO - 131K

It's becoming really hard for the video game industry to try to spin the numbers, the market contraction is so brutal.

NPD July 2007

Wii - 425,000
Nintendo DS - 405,000
PlayStation 2 - 222,000
PlayStation Portable - 214,000
Xbox 360 - 170,000
PlayStation 3 - 159,000
Game Boy Advance - 87,000

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
PS4 can easily sell less than PS3. I haven't followed WW sales sales lately but I'm not so sure PS4 it's still ahead of every other console released ever by far. In fact looking at its NPD sales lately I doubt its monthly sales are so much better from 360 launch aligned, if you take out the explosive launch.

It seems to me that the PS4 is doing much better outside of the USA & Japan. With the recent 10M milestone the PS4 hit, it must be selling pretty well in the rest of the world, which is at least fairly promising.

GamesMaya's report

Hopes this results in a half-decent opening along with Obon... Personally if Hyrule Warriors is bigger than DKC:TF (if it's providing a hardware boost, that seems to be a good sign), I'll be happy enough I guess, so something like Chris's 150K LTD.

I can't see PS4 selling less than PS3 WW. I don't see the signs at all right now of that.

NPD

360 2006 YTD - 1603k
PS4 2014 YTD - 1764k

360 LTD - 2210k
PS4 LTD - 3760k

WW sales

worldwidehardwaresalemkepg.png

00./00. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800) - * / 290.000

DAMN! Might have a chance to crack 300k.

3DS is gaga for DBZ, follow it up BN, and not just with UM3. :p

Wow. Nintendo would kill for the 3DS to be selling PSP numbers, and Sony would kill for Vita to be selling GBA numbers. The industry is definitely in a rut and the only beneficiary is Sony, who just seems to be winning ~90% of the 360/PS3/Wii gamers who have stuck around.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wow. Nintendo would kill for the 3DS to be selling PSP numbers, and Sony would kill for Vita to be selling GBA numbers. The industry is definitely in a rut and the only beneficiary is Sony, who just seems to be winning ~90% of the 360/PS3/Wii gamers who have stuck around.

In Japan? Or are we talking about WW? WW, the GBA did remarkably well, better than the PSP iirc (definitely the case software wise I would think). Yes, they would kill to have better numbers, which I think is the point you're trying to make.

How is that different from PS3?

I think it's even more skewed this time towards the rest of the world over the US+Japan. At least that's what the NPD thread is starting to disuss.

Top Bottom