• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2016 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Eh, assuming PS4 slim is coming out on the day of the PS meeting or the day after, Persona 5 will be fine. At the latest it is rumoured 15th of September, which is fine too, since Persona 5 is releasing on the 15th.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sad times in Japan when a 5 year old system is still kicking your ass in the time period your platform normally starts to approach it's peak sales, granted that also happened in the US, I guess Sony isn't too bothered about sales and is more concerned about maximising profitability. Certainly an understandable decision when your success is undisputed.

PS4 has shortages in Japan.
I wonder how much of an affect that really has not like PS4 has ever really sold significantly more than this, It'd it's capped it by 5 to 10k at most which would probably be generous.

Orgen

You laugh but late last year some people were saying that it was not going to happen this year.

If the Wii U hadn't been supply costrained at the beginning of the year then it'd have been closer to 2017 than September (or maybe even in 2017 knowing that Nintendo HW sells better on Christmas).

Anyway if Slim release coincides with Persona 5 then PS4 should pass Wii U that week or the next one at the latest.

Vena

If the Wii U hadn't been supply costrained at the beginning of the year then it'd have been closer to 2017 than September (or maybe even in 2017 knowing that Nintendo HW sells better on Christmas).

Anyway if Slim release coincides with Persona 5 then PS4 should pass Wii U that week or the next one at the latest.

Sounds like it'll be about a week apart.

Oregano

Or Tales is just normalizing again back to the 200k+ rut it deserves to be in.

Put a bit brutally but yeah. Berseria is still higher than a bunch of past entries and the series didn't die back then. I imagine they'll probably have a small resurgence again at some point, maybe even with the next release if they manage to give the appearance of increased production values.

Fisico

How many copies has YW1 sold in Japan, sooner or later, I think YW3 will surpass YW1 in sales, at least by the end of the year.

1.2m iirc, so that will not be very hard to beat.

Put a bit brutally but yeah. Berseria is still higher than a bunch of past entries and the series didn't die back then. I imagine they'll probably have a small resurgence again at some point, maybe even with the next release if they manage to give the appearance of increased production values.

That's the lowest start ever for a mothership title on Sony home console

L~A

Next week 3DS will sell 10 millions in Japan LTD.

Yeah, I mean the original model lol

Always found pretty amusing that the 3DS XL outsold the 3DS pretty much right out of the gate, but once the New 3DS models were launched, sales dropped like a rock... while the OG 3DS kept going.

Total opposite of the west where OG 3DS sales pretty much died when the XL launched, and the model was actually discontinued after a while.

OG 3DS really is Japan's 2DS, when you think about it.

Vena

I wonder if between the minor stock problems and declining interest over the last few weeks, if we haven't hit peak JRPG fans (ie hardware has saturated) on anything that is PS3/PS4.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
didn't know about PS4 shortages, even if thery are not THAT significant could have caused part of the non-existent bump I was expecting
But at the end, even the actual Tales sales are not THAT relevant, so probably we woudn't have seen any significant bump
PS4 will surpass the Wii U LTD probably not with FFXV as I expected, but with Persona5, thanks to the FFXV delay :p
Wii U '16 sales could have been slighlty better without those initial-year issues, but at best they could have delayed the surpass of PS4 maximum at the FFXV new date
3DS OG 10 millions LTD, congrats. 3DS family over 21 millions, congrats: it still is the most relevant console in Japan, this bodes well for NX, if it is (primarly) a portable imho
At the end YW surely is facing a big decline, but probably the third episode will still beat the first one and sell around 1.5 million LTD or more. diluited, but still powerful.
the most important thing for L5 to me is being able to find another big success (even if not THAT big...) among Snack World or Megaton Musashi (I doubt that Inazuma could replicate the previous 1+ million success, even if we must remember how that franchise was the first non-SE [FE or DQ] RPG to surpass the million mark in Japan since the last...10 years? The last one was (still SE) KH I think..?

Zedark

Tales is pretty much exactly what people in lastweek's thread expected. Zestiria seems to have damaged the series quite a bit.

I hope the next installment will do better due to the influence of Berseria's positive word of mouth.
here's to 'it'll be better in the future' for at least another 2 years!

Oregano

1.2m iirc, so that will not be very hard to beat.

That's the lowest start ever for a mothership title on Sony home console

I don't think that's as bad as it seems though. Sony home consoles aren't as popular right now and it's a cross gen game so it probably has less of an upgrade appeal. Plus it's launched before FF and DQ.

It's not like it cratered to Graces levels.

edit: Better comparison might be Star Ocean 5. That's what a dead series walking looks like.

casiopao

Lol. Thats baddd number for Tales there. Bamco really need to reinvent the series here not only on mechanic but also on story and engine. It seems people are feeling the burn badly.

Fisico

I don't think that's as bad as it seems though. Sony home consoles aren't as popular right now and it's a cross gen game so it probably has less of an upgrade appeal. Plus it's launched before FF and DQ.

It's not like it cratered to Graces levels.

While I do agree with the general state of Sony home consoles (almost everything is in decline after all) they could have managed the IP in a much better away to avoid, or at least alleviate, the sales decline.
As for Graces they were able to bounce back with the PS3 port, here they have nothing more to do.

Lol. Thats baddd number for Tales there. Bamco really need to reinvent the series here not only on mechanic but also on story and engine. It seems people are feeling the burn badly.

I see what you did there.

Oregano

While I do agree with the general state of Sony home consoles (almost everything is in decline after all) they could have managed the IP in a much better away to avoid, or at least alleviate, the sales decline.
As for Graces they were able to bounce back with the PS3 port, here they have nothing more to do.

I see what you did there.

I think they just need to look forward. Drop the baggage of the PS3-era releases for the next game. Go for a different look and style.

As I edited in(as you replied) there's a big difference between Tales and Star Ocean.

Scum

All hail our Nintendo Garage Overlords! I, for one, welcome more genres with their game designing touch.

13./14. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥5.700) - 5.772 / 1.452.067 (-8%)

MV9dV9L.png

Vena

I think they just need to look forward. Drop the baggage of the PS3-era releases for the next game. Go for a different look and style.

As I edited in(as you replied) there's a big difference between Tales and Star Ocean.

Drop ~1/3 of your consumer base with no guarantee they'll follow for a series in decline? I'd sooner suggest they just put the next game on Vita day and date.

Mr Swine

Banned
Is PS4 really supply constrained when it's selling as much as the previous weeks? I do expect that Slim with PS5 will sell roughly 100k that week. Is that too far fetched?

horuhe

Drop ~1/3 of your consumer base with no guarantee they'll follow for a series in decline? I'd sooner suggest they just put the next game on Vita day and date.

But, but... Tales will always live with us!! No way it could disappear!!

Is PS4 really supply constrained when it's selling as much as the previous weeks? I do expect that Slim with PS5 will sell roughly 100k that week. Is that too far fetched?

Yeah, I'd say something between the 80k to 90k. The market is not made for home consoles to do 100k aside release day, imho.

mao2

Then even if there are some lost sales they are insignificant.
I just checked a few of major online retailers in Japan and nearly all of them are already out of stock.

Amazon.co.jp
https://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=amb_...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=350557349&pf_rd_i=637394

Tsutaya
http://shop.tsutaya.co.jp/game/news/ps4/?sc_int=game_pc_center-kishu01

Joshin
http://joshinweb.jp/game/25278.html

Bic Camera
http://www.biccamera.com/bc/disp/CSfDispListPage_001.jsp?dispNo=001210127005&q=playstation%81%404

Yodobashi Camera
http://www.yodobashi.com/プレイステーション4用ゲーム機本体/ct/140019_000000000000001848/
. Black 500GB PS4 is still available, but the 1TB version and White 500GB are gone.

Vena

But, but... Tales will always live with us!! No way it could disappear!!

You're right! I say drop all of the ecosystems, and just release it on that one machine we all keep near and dear to our hearts.

The SNES.

Or, even better, the SNES Mini Expansion Pack!

Eolz

I wonder if between the minor stock problems and declining interest over the last few weeks, if we haven't hit peak JRPG fans (ie hardware has saturated) on anything that is PS3/PS4.

I think we still to wait on P5 and FFXV for this, just in case. DQXI will likely have an impact too.

Oregano

Well I'm thinking it's at least a year away in which case PS3 and Vita releases are going to be a bit fewer and far between and FF and DQ should have released by then which would hopefully help other RPGs.

sense

i am glad someone has made a huge revelation that the lost PS4 sales due to shortage is likely insignificant

Vena

Well I'm thinking it's at least a year away in which case PS3 and Vita releases are going to be a bit fewer and far between and FF and DQ should have released by then which would hopefully help other RPGs.

3DS, NX, and PS4 being day and date is going to eat into the latter if that actually occurs as planned. The 3DS was already going to greatly dominate the sales but throwing in another handheld is going to make the proposition all the worse in this market for the latter.

Oregano

3DS, NX, and PS4 being day and date is going to eat into the latter if that actually occurs as planned. The 3DS was already going to greatly dominate the sales but throwing in another handheld is going to make the proposition all the worse in this market for the latter.

Should still help though, even if it's diminished.

horuhe

It seems some stores are starting to sell PlayStation 4 at higher prices. Checking at Media World, anything below 44,000yen. Prepare yourselves to see the PS4 drop for next week.

Bruno MB

I have taken a look at September releases for the prediction league and there isn't anything worthwhile outside Persona 5. So I have decided there will be a special Persona 5 week launch prediction league instead of a monthly edition.

Hopefully the PS4 Slim release date will be leaked a couple of days before the press conference for Japan (September 13th) to have a few more days to predict.

mao2

Vena

My bad, misunderstood what you meant then.

Nah its fine I wasn't very clear, haha.

Should still help though, even if it's diminished.

I guess I don't know what you are actually expecting from this on the PS4 if it gets launched day and date against the 3DS (which will eat up like 70%-80% of the sales total sales) and a next gen handheld. Even if they (PS4/NX) split it in half or if the NX eats more into the 3DS, how much are you expecting here and how does it compare to the already present audience?

It will "help" in that it will sell to the audience that already exists at this point.

I have taken a look at September releases for the prediction league and there isn't anything worthwhile outside Persona 5. So I have decided there will be a special Persona 5 week launch prediction league instead of a monthly edition.

Hopefully the PS4 Slim release date will be leaked a couple of days before the press conference for Japan (September 13th) to have a few more days to predict.

You just made me realise that Tokyo Xanadu PS4 is two weeks from release. Eep.

Top Bottom